• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

"Get Outta My Tank!"

I only tank alone on pub servers, unless it's with someone I know and trust to do the job properly, or if there are no unoccupied tanks.

I never yell at someone to get out of my tank -- if they get in it, I'll usually leave it myself and get in another one.

I enjoy tanking with teammates in BFE.

The thing is that a lot of people don't bother to learn how to use the tanks before hopping in them. You either know how to angle a tank and where to shoot the enemy tanks, or you are useless and anyone you're tanking with is screwed by your not being bothered to look it up.

The other thing is that a lot of the time on pubs, your driver will completely ignore everything you say and just drives around like an idiot.

Finally, people stuck in the MG position who are bored waiting to get into combat will just fire the MG constantly, which gives away your position.

:(

Upvote 0
It is noteworthy that some guys here (not all who want solo-tanking, but many) have absolutly over-inflated egos.

Basically their argument for "lockable" tanks and other non-teamwork bull**** comes down to "I'm so super-great, no one who could share a tank with me can be equally good so I have to go alone and p0wn all".

When I'm in the tank with a friend, or even just with another teamwork-orientated player (and the servers are full of these guys) what happens is this, just for example:

1) While the gunner reloads and keeps the gun on target, the driver can angle the tank after the first shot was fired

2) While the gunner has a very narrow vision trough the sights and is busy nailing a single target, the driver can check the sides of the tank or jump into the MG to defend against infantry. If necessary the driver can on his own retreat the tank if it's about to get flanked, or turn it around so the gunner sees the enemy.

3) While the gunner scans for targets during the attack, the driver scans for hull-down positions and places the tank is the best cover avalable.

4) If the tank has a MG Gunner too, then that's three sets of eyes looking for targets - while the driver may be busy driving, the MG-Gunner might use the MG to "point" by tracers at an enemy tank the gunner hasn't seen yet, or might use the magnifying MG optics to detect PTRD soldiers damaging the tank.

...and more

All these examples can be done with a minimum of communications, they do not require more than the default key binds. No single tanker will stand a chance against a crew like that.

But now, some inflated egos in here would rather force others to go infantry so they can have all a tank for themself. Sheez, get over to BF2 if solo-rambo is your thing.

Upvote 0
Just as a closing point. Yesterday on Ogledow, my friend Luke and me played against tons of "solo-tankers".

You can always tell if someone's solo - that's the tanks with the gun/turret at bad angles, the tanks that do not angle themself. We were actually flanked/rushed by one IS-2 who closed in to below 100 meters on our side. But since he had to drive and couldn't aim at the same time, we got the shot off quicker.

Result: Luke and me on top of the scoreboard, all the solo tankers way below.

Upvote 0
I usually end up tanking solo but it's great when someone good hops in with you. The other night a chap called SilverSheep hopped in as gunner on my StuG. I don't think he even had voice comms but he used the keyboard commands to let me know where to go, and I know enough about jockeying to keep behind cover unless we're ready to fire. He also happened to be a damn good shot, much better than I am. We teamed up throughout that round, and we easily had a 3:1 or 4:1 kill ratio.

There's no way known that I could have done that on my own, and I guess he thought the same since every time we respawned he waited for me to get in the StuG as driver before he got in as gunner.

Regards

Upvote 0
Good job for those above who worked as a team.

Also, LizardHands I think had a good response as far as how he goes about working solo: only if there are unoccupied tanks, and he never flips out on the other players. That is the way to go about working solo, not at the expense of leaving other teammates stuck in the spawn area or tking them.

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
Just as a closing point. Yesterday on Ogledow, my friend Luke and me played against tons of "solo-tankers".

You can always tell if someone's solo - that's the tanks with the gun/turret at bad angles, the tanks that do not angle themself. We were actually flanked/rushed by one IS-2 who closed in to below 100 meters on our side. But since he had to drive and couldn't aim at the same time, we got the shot off quicker.

You obviously haven't played against me.

I tend to do very nicely by myself.

>:)

Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:

Well rule one is never close with an IS-2 or Tiger. With the IS-2 solo, if I can keep my distance I'm golden. With a driver that knows what he is doing, well that it nirvana. On Arad, put an IS-2 on the allies right flank. All the driver has to do a lot is move forward or backware just a little and most people with miss.

Upvote 0
Well I played with Buddylee and Damon on Sat. and they were teaming it and getting in some good shots. VOODOOFURY is also an excellent TT I might add. The team chatter was great and we were annihilating the enemy. This all makes for a memorable game. Can you SOLO tankers remember the name of anyone you recently played with? I am all about team tanking and I cant wait for the time delay. I agree there are some idiots out there on both sides of this argument some TTs that are wild and dont listen and some Solos that will just sit till you get out. Which usually just brings on a whole lot of TKing and even less teamwork. I believe I am going to start a new thread for a new server switch one that will not allow tanks to move until two players are present in tank. Then you solos can go on down the road.

Upvote 0
Theodrake said:
Well rule one is never close with an IS-2 or Tiger. With the IS-2 solo, if I can keep my distance I'm golden.

Well, since we were attacking Ogledow village and right besides the russian spawn (deep left flank) he didn't have much choice...

It was fun to see him moving into position with the gun aimed at a steep high angle and the turret slightly sideways. By the time he came to a stop he already had eaten our first shot - and while switching positions and aiming the gun he ate the second shot.

A team of two tankers would have killed us easily.

Upvote 0
it depends...a good 2 man crew will out do a good 1 man crew...but a good 1 man crew is better than a 2 man crew when one of the 2 people has no idea what to do...or more likely nowadays...has his own agenda. I'll admit...on maps like Arad or Ogledow...im better by myself...mostly because I stand off far aways and take shots...but i've had the most fun when i get a driver who knows what hes doing and listens...but they are few and far between

Upvote 0
Oleg said:
No, the question should be will a good 2 man crew out do 2 one man crews?

Answer is - never.

My friend and I would. For sure. While the other guys are busy driving/aiming/driving/angling we'd just kill one, then the other. Of course it requires room to manouver but it can be done - on Ogledow yesterday we actually survived being enganged by three enemy tanks at once.

Upvote 0
Oleg said:

Answer is - never.

On most maps (not all, but most) solo tanking is tactically smarter thing to do. Period.

Ohh? my personal experiance is - Allways.

Whenever im TT'ing on a server where the rest is solo'ing, my team tank might have a score of 110 whilst the rest have a score of around 40, thats not at all uncommon, i spot the enemy faster than they do, i reload faster, my tank can angle on the fly whilst i reload, i can move alot faster and still have an excellent view of whats going on whilst on the move, i even stand a much better chance against anti-tank infantry as i spot them much easier whilst moving around, the result is im usually cap'ing much more than the others, and im getting many more kills per deaths than the others.

A good TeamTank can really win the day for their team, as not only are they getting the kills, they are cap'ing much better too, and thats really where the Solo'ers are failing, all too often they just sit there trying to shell eachother, but that doesen't win the round, and when they do try to move twords the capzones, their lack of situational awareness gets them slaughtered.

Upvote 0
Artem said:
Single-manned tanks are better. You cant shoot on the move anyways, so theres no point in having more than one guy.

Um, I don't know but....

maybe one person can train the turret on the target while the other is driving into position so you don't have to wait for the turret to swing around

- and -

the driver can manuever to a new position while the gunner is loading a new shell, or possible switching to HE in case of infantry

- and -

the gunner can train the turret on an enemy tank while someone is mowing down infantry with the hull MG position

- and -

the driver could look out the hatch and spot new targets while the gunner dispatches with previously spotted targets

- and -

the driver properly angles his tank after the enemy tank moves to his flank while the gunner reaquires the target

- and -

many others and combinations of the above.

Sure one experienced tanker can probably do better than a two man crew where one of them doesn't know what he is doing, but I think a two or three man crew that has practiced will take you out almost every time.

Oleg said:

Answer is - never.

On most maps (not all, but most) solo tanking is tactically smarter thing to do. Period.

Don't quite agree, more numbers do not translate into winning.

Also, what about when you have all your tanks crewed with one person with the other remaining tankers (on your team) standing around in the spawn area waiting for tanks because you left them behind, while the other team uses all their tanks and they are manned by 2 or even 3 people?

Upvote 0
Oleg said:

Answer is - never.

if the two crews arent good shots then yes the 2 man crew could...it also depends on if iether side is angled...but head to head fight...yoiu're right...2 man tank would die

Upvote 0
Aimed at GonzoX:

Sorry for my comment.

The real problem is switching from position to position instantly. There are always going to be players who don't listen to you, and that is probably going to lead to your death. But, you can always check with your driver or gunner to make sure they are listening before leaving spawn. The main point is that single manned tanks need to be nerfed with a timer, so that people who play as a team get rewarded.

I really hope there is a fix for this in the next patch.

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
Im sorry that you guys feel that way. But I think it boils down to one out of two things.
1. Either you play on the wrong servers, find one that is well adminned and teamwork oriented and you will notice a big difference.

2. Its you guys that fail to communicate, since its 90% of the times you dont get teamplay. To me that gets good teamwork in the tanks 85-90% of the time that suggest you are the reason it does not work.

Last night on Baraskha I had the worst experience so far in tanking, I was axis and spawned just a tiny bit after my teammates. All of which drove of in a solo tank, leaving me and 3 more tankers alone in spawn.
Not just once, but several times.
Once I finally managed to get in a tank with another guy, he stopped, said "get out!" and did not move. After maybe 10 sec he got out. I got in the drivers seat, popped out the hatch and asked if he wanted to shoot. He shot me.
My guess is he would have locked the tank if there was an option for that.
And that is without him and me ever having been in a tank togheter before.

So, since you seem to think that a lock would make all happy (not me, thats for sure) I got another way to solve it.
Play offline, there you can order your bots out every time.....

So let me get this straight. Sitting there and arguing with the lone ranger and then having him shoot you is preferred by you over getting a "this tank is locked" message? :rolleyes:

I don't get it. My idea might not make everybody happy but it would end the arguing and other crap that you experienced. All the BS confrontations between the "teamwork or else" guys and the "get out of my tank rangers" would end.

I though that would be a good thing as my idea would simply segregate the "teamwork" guys from the "lone rangers". That way we both could play in peace.

Ever hear of "Good fences make Good Neighbors"?

BTW, if you want to play against bots offline that's fine with me but we sure will miss you on the online tank servers. Whatever floats your boat.

Upvote 0