• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Not Good Enough, Steam is failing you guys

Personally I love Steam. I have purchased about 6 games from steam. I don't have to keep track of any CD's. I just keep my STEAM folder backed up and if I ever reformat my drive, I just restore my steam folder and whammo, back up and running with ALL of my games, no re-installation necessary.

Those who complain about it, aren't giving the system credit. Or are usually use to pirating their software. I'm glad RO is through Steam, keeps people from pirating it. I kind of hate to see it go Retail because I know it will get pirated. Shoot the bloody Pirates... ARRRRR.:mad:

Upvote 0
I would be interested in how the big boys demanded a CoD clone... Was it a thundering voice from the sky saying "We want a CoD clone" or "we want a 3d wargame"? I mean really, start your KV-8's, but this game isn't that far from CoD IF we look at it from the point of view of somebody who hasn't played much FPSs. No use explaining "but this is more realistic" to somebody who thinks all these games are about guys running around killing each other with various weapons.

So.. I wonder how detailed the wish of the big boys was... "Thou shalt not have any tanks in the multi-player game, because CoD doesn't!" and "Thou shalt not make it any more realistic than CoD!" and "We demand mindless PPSh rushing!" (not that people don't do mindless PPSh rushing in ROOST, but that's not a topic on this thread).

Upvote 0
vonreuter now your just making fun of it but your not to far off from the truth.

the first thing a big boy publisher will do its TAKE OVER THE GAME CONTENT.
it is from that point on THEIR game, they own it, not the developer anymore.

they then get a BIG say in what directly the development process should go.
its likely we might have seen 1 person tank control, less recoil on every weapon, no resting option, eazyer jumping/hopping, farther granade throws, multi main weapon pickups, less (or even no) restrictions on weapon classes, possably even a crosshair or sorts for hipshots.
generaly just a complete dumbing down of the game in order to get the steap RO learning curve down to a gentle hill.

and with every respect to bold games (the only publisher that wouldnt have taken over their game content), the amount of time its taking to get this shiped in europe, let alown for example azia is proof enough they arent quite ready yet to handle the shipment of all the copy's of this game that have been sold so far.

*sigh* actualy, why do i keep doing this
feeding the troll i mean.
your sig says enough, you've allredy made up your mind and no matter how many FACKTS we bring against you oppinion your not going to change it.
in fackt i've allready explaind all the above to you once befor. at the time it seemed it was new information to you, but you obviusly havent taken it into consideration when you made your post here.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vonreuter said:
I would be interested in how the big boys demanded a CoD clone... Was it a thundering voice from the sky saying "We want a CoD clone" or "we want a 3d wargame"? I mean really, start your KV-8's, but this game isn't that far from CoD IF we look at it from the point of view of somebody who hasn't played much FPSs. No use explaining "but this is more realistic" to somebody who thinks all these games are about guys running around killing each other with various weapons.

So.. I wonder how detailed the wish of the big boys was... "Thou shalt not have any tanks in the multi-player game, because CoD doesn't!" and "Thou shalt not make it any more realistic than CoD!" and "We demand mindless PPSh rushing!" (not that people don't do mindless PPSh rushing in ROOST, but that's not a topic on this thread).

My best guess:
The game would have to simply be marketable to the largest (read, most profitable) audience, or to the high-tech high-end crowd. Without this turning into a long rant about the state of the retail aspect of the video gaming industry and such, if a game doesn't fit into one of those two catagories, it doesn't go 90% of the time. There are exceptions for various reasons, but the market is stuffed with FPS games (which are in the spotlight in several states and probably a few European countries, so that's a negative for a publisher), and more so with WWII themed FPS games.

RO doesn't go easy on the new guy, it doesn't treat you nicely, and it doesn't hold the punches so that 'everyone can have a turn'. If they went to a big publisher, they would had to have lost those aspects to get the game green lighted. RO would have been forced to become mainstream and mundane, since it doesn't have the newest vertex-shader-pixel-hiding-make-your-eyes-bleed-zomg-fingerlicking good graphics ON TOP of a familiar (read again, profitable) theme.

Just my coppers on the matter.

Upvote 0
Who the HELL wants another COD. COD is COD. RO is what WWII Online should have been. I LOVE IT.

R.O. is a game of it's own and can stand on its own merits. I'm thrilled with the game. I'm thrilled with the price offered through STEAM. I'm thrilled with not having to keep track of a CD and KEY #.

Thanks for your WISE choice of using STEAM. You save me a lot of headaches. Thanks for not taking it up the ass by big developers and changing your game to meet the needs of the bunny hoppers.

GREAT Simulation of a war. Best so far. I finally quit playing BF2. This is by far the only game where I think before I move.

This company is making wise choices for the gaming community and wise financial choices for themselves. WTG.

To the asshole who are wanting it for free, I wish I could line all of you up and put a tank round up your......... Buy it through STEAM like the rest of us, leave your PC online overnight, then join us band of REAL WAR gamers and have some fun.

Upvote 0
Vonreuter said:

No - it was "we'll give you $x million to build the game because we love it so much. But we need to make it easier, simpler. We need a big single-player story-line. We want our studios to build a set of big, expensive cut-scenes, that you'll have to pay for. Of course, we'll own the IP and any future spin-offs and sequels. We might let you bid to build them. We may need to change the title, perhaps move it to another theatre - people don't really know the Eastern Front. See - we really love your game!"
Not all quoted from the same source - but all quotes. We never let it get to the intimate details discussions :)

Upvote 0
Just wanted to add my two cents to this discussion. While steam does have a pretty good distribution (IE: to be able to download the game content online at a reasonable speed and with the ability to resume), they have had times where it can be pretty slow to get contect. I remember when HL2 or CSS beta came out, they had some trouble having enought bandwidth to upload the content to everyone, but they addressed that problem.

My suggestion if you are looking to get the game content faster, while I don't know the legality of it though, is to download the .GCF files of the game from different sources besides the steam servers. I know for CSS I ended up getting the files off another website and just adding it to my steam folder. After that I just have to load steam up and download a few smaller files and authenticate the game with my steam account.

Upvote 0
Every morning Steam gets up and says this to itself:[URL=http://www.picshome.com/][/URL]
URL%5D
URL%5D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Terminxman said:
I've never gotten more than 90KB/s on any download over steam, but other than that I've never had problems with it.
When I downloaded RO preload & SDK I got from 150kb sec to 120ish kb sec. I also haven't had any problems with Steam...zilch. I really think alot of it comes down to knowing how to keep ones computer in tip top shape (reg cleaners, junk file cleaners, defrags, keep on top of OS updates etc). PC's aren't maintenence free like consoles.

Upvote 0
You also fail to see another important thing here...

Thanks to the deal with steam instead of a "big" game distributor Tripwire CAN as opposed to other companies release there patches at will and this is excactly what tripwire have done so far..

let me give you a couple of examples.

Gearbox Software / Ubisoft
Gearbox develloped a game called Brothers in Arms: Road to hill30 a some time ago now.. after the release gearbox had trouble delivering patches, not that they where not done, but thanks to ubisoft that did not preoritice BiA:rth30 at the time..

Finally a new patch was released, gearbox emediatly saw another problem after that patch and quickly develloped a new one.. same story again, thanks to ubisoft the customers did not get there hands on the new update before recently, almost a good year after it had been complete!

Now the infinty ward / activsion / microsoft story
Infinity Ward develloped call of duty 2 as im sure most people in here knows, and activision distributed it, now thanks to activision signing a deal with microsoft regarding the xbox360 platform infinity ward/activision where not allowed to release ANY patches for cod2 before microsoft had made xbox360 ready for cod2, this i can promiss you made an incredible amount of customers unhappy...

Personally im very happy that Tripwire have not fallen into the trap of beeing under a major distributor. i love the fact that tripwire does magic almost over night and releases patches, SDK's Manuals and etc

Do you sirissly want to see tripwire under in example a distributor like ubisoft ?? (imagine if ubisoft distributed the game, would you love to have the most idiotic serverbrowser, the most idiotic login thingy ever made) ??

Before you start dogging steam and start dogging TW for choosing steam use your birth given brain and THINK a little further than just some minor problems..

this was long.,., all i really should have sayd was omfg to all the toughtless people who have replyed to this thread.

Upvote 0