• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Squad You Aren't Good Enough

Buzz_Litebeer said:
Well, just was wondering, considering that I tend to play a bit every night and the server is empty. Do you guys make a private server and have bayo fights like back in the mod and thats why no one sees you? Maybe private practices all the time?

I see more Core or CIA guys out on the other servers than I see on on the Core/Cia servers, so just wondering!

It just seems kind of difficult to get that whole "practice" thing or "prove your good" when so much action seems to take place in teamspeak.

I know you guys played a lot in the mod... wait, is this recruiting for the mod? If so, sorry, I thought it was for the full version.

the Core eu and Cia servers are kinda dead, we don't massivly try to fill our servers to get some recruitment going ;).

Upvote 0
Well were have you guys been? How do you expect to know if the player will play well in your unit if you have never played with them before. What good is a tryout when that may mean nothing in a larger context?

Hell, I have even heard you guys chatting on TS, and it was mostly just chatter when I was on.

One thing that always bugged me about clan groups is calls for recruitment.

Do you not watch people and then ask them if they want to join? If someone just asked do you guys tell them to put on a clan tag asap?

What standards do you expect to meet for the player for example?

If the player says "I expect you guys to be able to work together as a team" would you be able to hold that bargain on your end?

Would you be offended if a player asked you to do something instead of the other way around?

This isnt a specific dig at CIA or CORE, which seem to be one entity play wise, but at a lot of the "clans" or squads etc that are running around.

They may or may not have a server, and they just ask people to tag up out of the blue, without having played with the person for more than 1 match.

What do you use to determine if someone is good? Is it because they have a lot of points? Is it because you see them getting kills? Is it because they follow orders?

Unlike COD for example were I could go around and kill 3-4 people, and that meant we win, many games were I have 100 points, maybe 10 of them would even come from kills and most come from being the cap zone and not getting my head shot off.

Is that what you are looking for? Are you looking for the deathmatcher that runs around, gets 2 kills and dies every 2 minutes?

What is your goal?

Are you looking for a mature player that works hard and works together, but may not be the highest scorer or best killer?

for example, I was playing around on a server called 9thfs, and I joined the server and all of them for over 3 rounds were in the middle to bottom of the players, and teams with them stacked on their side were not more likely to win.. this doesnt put a lot of faith in them as a team when they go "buzz would you like to join" because I dont want to join a team of losers.

So, when it comes to you guys, how does someone know that you are right for them when the most they remember playing with you was in the Mod on Jucha? Or on your server the most common individuals were from CIA such as Paulski or stilleto.

I dont know, just bugs me a tad when I see aggressive advertisement for a group that if you joined it you as a player have no guarentee that you would even have a unit to play with other than for fun, which can be the point, it would be just nice to have that up front.

Just some stuff to think about, and not so much a criticism, but before the full version came out I talked to CoreNA Capitan about joining the unit if you guys were still interested, and several criteria were met for this decision from my end, and hopefully the decision from his end.

1. I had played on the server a LOT, and I was relatively skillfull at the mod.
2. I had seen that when CORENA + CIA were on one team they did well together
3. The banter on teamspeak wasnt really related to the game at hand, but I chalked that up to being that there wasnt really a competitive scene for the mod.

So I sat back and said "is this a crew I would join" and I said that I would if the full version came out you guys would have first dibbs so to speak.

Now that I have played the full game for a month or so, and I havent seen the server filled except ocasionally,I have yet to log in when teamspeak was active, and I dont think I have even played with you MajPain or Capitan (does he even have this game) and I THINK I have seen Amerikaner ONCe on a server, though I often see stilleto and paulski on other servers.

There is a lot more to clanning I think, or at least successfull clanning, then having people sign up on a web site.

Oh well, my rants over, sorry for derailing the thread I just got a lot out on the table and its probably not even the right thread for it. Sorry for wasting your time!

Upvote 0
I respect all clans in that they are basically all trying to achieve the same goal - having fun while gaming - but keep in mind that different clans have fun different ways. Some clans have fun by winning, kicking ass, and sending noobies away from their servers. Some have fun just by playing. Remember that.

That being said, when your sales "pitch" is made so pompously and arrogantly -- and please, don't insult anybody by claiming that post is less than arrogant -- it's difficult to really take you seriously.

I'm not flaming you here, nor am I really trying to make people hate you; but when you shun "lesser" players so much and take only the best, then I know that this leads to a less-than civilized clan environment. Been there. Done that. Clans based on skill and trying-out lead to in-game tensions. You know that you're better than the man next to you, so you get angry when he fails to compete at your "level".

I'm not saying it's something that should bring you down to a lesser state of humanity. I'm just making a point of the fact that you do want to be CAREFUL.

My own clan, {FBI}, recruits only on the basis that you're very well-known to the local gaming community (re: clan) and you're a member of the REGz, or Regulars. You're allowed in only by invitation. There's a sponsorship and nomination process, a vote, etc... but no try-outs.

I guess my point is that, to ME at least, earning tags by playing "well" for them cheapens their value somewhat. While some desire nothing more than to receive their tags for good play, sportsmanship, in some instances, plays an even more important role. There is nothing I detest more than playing against a rival clan who thinks that they're pretty hot ***** and treats you poorly for it.

I'm done. I hope you didn't take offense; all I wanted to do with this post is demonstrate that clans can be taken down by an overly competitive atmosphere.

Upvote 0
Buzz_Litebeer said:
Well were have you guys been? How do you expect to know if the player will play well in your unit if you have never played with them before. What good is a tryout when that may mean nothing in a larger context?

Hell, I have even heard you guys chatting on TS, and it was mostly just chatter when I was on.

One thing that always bugged me about clan groups is calls for recruitment.

Do you not watch people and then ask them if they want to join? If someone just asked do you guys tell them to put on a clan tag asap?

What standards do you expect to meet for the player for example?

If the player says "I expect you guys to be able to work together as a team" would you be able to hold that bargain on your end?

Would you be offended if a player asked you to do something instead of the other way around?

This isnt a specific dig at CIA or CORE, which seem to be one entity play wise, but at a lot of the "clans" or squads etc that are running around.

They may or may not have a server, and they just ask people to tag up out of the blue, without having played with the person for more than 1 match.

What do you use to determine if someone is good? Is it because they have a lot of points? Is it because you see them getting kills? Is it because they follow orders?

Unlike COD for example were I could go around and kill 3-4 people, and that meant we win, many games were I have 100 points, maybe 10 of them would even come from kills and most come from being the cap zone and not getting my head shot off.

Is that what you are looking for? Are you looking for the deathmatcher that runs around, gets 2 kills and dies every 2 minutes?

What is your goal?

Are you looking for a mature player that works hard and works together, but may not be the highest scorer or best killer?

for example, I was playing around on a server called 9thfs, and I joined the server and all of them for over 3 rounds were in the middle to bottom of the players, and teams with them stacked on their side were not more likely to win.. this doesnt put a lot of faith in them as a team when they go "buzz would you like to join" because I dont want to join a team of losers.

So, when it comes to you guys, how does someone know that you are right for them when the most they remember playing with you was in the Mod on Jucha? Or on your server the most common individuals were from CIA such as Paulski or stilleto.

I dont know, just bugs me a tad when I see aggressive advertisement for a group that if you joined it you as a player have no guarentee that you would even have a unit to play with other than for fun, which can be the point, it would be just nice to have that up front.

Just some stuff to think about, and not so much a criticism, but before the full version came out I talked to CoreNA Capitan about joining the unit if you guys were still interested, and several criteria were met for this decision from my end, and hopefully the decision from his end.

1. I had played on the server a LOT, and I was relatively skillfull at the mod.
2. I had seen that when CORENA + CIA were on one team they did well together
3. The banter on teamspeak wasnt really related to the game at hand, but I chalked that up to being that there wasnt really a competitive scene for the mod.

So I sat back and said "is this a crew I would join" and I said that I would if the full version came out you guys would have first dibbs so to speak.

Now that I have played the full game for a month or so, and I havent seen the server filled except ocasionally,I have yet to log in when teamspeak was active, and I dont think I have even played with you MajPain or Capitan (does he even have this game) and I THINK I have seen Amerikaner ONCe on a server, though I often see stilleto and paulski on other servers.

There is a lot more to clanning I think, or at least successfull clanning, then having people sign up on a web site.

Oh well, my rants over, sorry for derailing the thread I just got a lot out on the table and its probably not even the right thread for it. Sorry for wasting your time!
\

you ask alot of questions.I'll answers them later tonight.

Upvote 0
Comrade Wasabi said:
That being said, when your sales "pitch" is made so pompously and arrogantly -- and please, don't insult anybody by claiming that post is less than arrogant -- it's difficult to really take you seriously.

Well its not meant to be taken 100% seriously and thats exactly why I wrote it the way I did. The reason being, if you are offended by such a post, then you are exactly the person we dont want. Cmon, anyone who takes "Herculean amount of awesomeness" seriously is a jackass.

By the same token, I was slightly serious. I do believe that our "Retard Brigade" has some of the best players in RO meaning me, Chambers, Lemur, and Bloodnok. Its called "kidding on the square".

I'm not flaming you here, nor am I really trying to make people hate you; but when you shun "lesser" players so much and take only the best, then I know that this leads to a less-than civilized clan environment. Been there. Done that. Clans based on skill and trying-out lead to in-game tensions. You know that you're better than the man next to you, so you get angry when he fails to compete at your "level".

Heres where I could care less. Look, if you are going to compete then you want to win. That means being the best. Of course I am going to "shun" lesser plays. I dont know what some of you think but you dont win by sucking. Sucky players arent welcome just for that shear fact that we want to win. Its not that we dont like you and you should feel hurt. You have to know you suck, cmon.

My own clan, {FBI}, recruits only on the basis that you're very well-known to the local gaming community (re: clan) and you're a member of the REGz, or Regulars. You're allowed in only by invitation. There's a sponsorship and nomination process, a vote, etc... but no try-outs.

Yeah you dont get into our clan by just being awesome. We dont run a strict outfit like I said. We just want skilled players who we like.

As for Buzz, you are thinking way too much into this and I will simply not respond to every question. It isnt our fault that the RO community does not have a huge competitive scene, otherwise we would be practicing and playing more hardcore. Anyone willing to join a clan probably knows that and we arent tricking them into joining a clan that they think is going straight to the CAL world championship...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I understand you weren't being 100% serious. There are those, in this thread, who clearly do not understand such.

I'm not telling you how to run CorenA. If you guys base your clan on skilled play then I can respect and support that; I guess all I really wanted to get across to you was to be very careful of how competitive you guys get. I'm not telling you that I'm offended by the fact that you don't take shitty players; people suck at this game. It's a fact.

It'd be reassuring to know that you don't take people just based on awesomeness... if I really cared all that much. :D

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:
No offense but I can't consider spawn nading, spawn exit camping, run and gun etc to be legitimate skills or tactics...maybe to some pushing the game to its' limit makes for optimal organized play...but not to others.

I never promoted any of those tactics. The perfect situation would be that people actually played realistically but that isnt the case. The game inst real life and clans do whatever they can to win. We are big proponents of playing realistically and are best players are excelent riflemen which obviously reduces are use of run and gun considerably. However, the sad truth is, if clans want to complete at high levels, things like nade spamming, and exit camping become almost necessary. If you cant keep up because you're too busy trying to reenact then so be it.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
... if clans want to complete at high levels, things like nade spamming, and exit camping become almost necessary ...

Sorry...they aren't, and that is one arrogant statement. Some groups would rather play with opponents who allow the enemy to exit the spawn and engage them evenly with careful, precise real-world tactics rather than go through the same boring, mindless meatgrinder from many less realistic games from the past. If the only thing some clans are concerned with is victory at any cost, fine by me...that's their style of gameplay. I just know there are other clans and units that have different standards regarding tactics, they are looking for a new and different experience. No offense...there is more than one way to play matches. All clans have my respect, especially the old school old timer veteran ones, there's just a different way to look at the game ;)

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:

Sorry...they aren't, and that is one arrogant statement. Some groups would rather play with opponents who allow the enemy to exit the spawn and engage them evenly with careful, precise real-world tactics rather than go through the same boring, mindless meatgrinder from many less realistic games from the past. If the only thing some clans are concerned with is victory at any cost, fine by me...that's their style of gameplay. I just know there are other clans and units that have different standards regarding tactics, they are looking for a new and different experience. No offense...there is more than one way to play matches. All clans have my respect, especially the old school old timer veteran ones, there's just a different way to look at the game ;)

First of all you are either misusing or dont understand what arrogant means. Here let me enlighten you:

ar

Upvote 0
I completely understand where you are coming from and mean no disrespect or harsh feelings, you and your clan have my respect and the respect of my clan. It's true that when you try to play tactically you can easily be taken advantage of and defeated by people using the game engine to its' greatest extent. I am not naive nor blind to this fact...I just don't plan on giving up in trying to play the game tactically and realistically when I can. I find the game is much sweeter when things are done this way, that's why I want to play matches from now on with opponents who will see eye to eye with me in this, opponents who will set with me a higher standard of gameplay...there is plenty of room here for the common style and a more tactical, realistic style to come about where both sides are willing to strive for a more realistic experience by adopting some general gameplay guidelines. While some might ridicule this thinking as silly, impossible to achieve, or brush it off as a poor attempt of 'reenacting'...I just have to disagree, I think there is real potential with cooperation to improve the experience for everyone involved. Thanks for reading my long winded post :D

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Well its not meant to be taken 100% seriously and thats exactly why I wrote it the way I did. The reason being, if you are offended by such a post, then you are exactly the person we dont want. Cmon, anyone who takes "Herculean amount of awesomeness" seriously is a jackass.

By the same token, I was slightly serious. I do believe that our "Retard Brigade" has some of the best players in RO meaning me, Chambers, Lemur, and Bloodnok. Its called "kidding on the square".

Heres where I could care less. Look, if you are going to compete then you want to win. That means being the best. Of course I am going to "shun" lesser plays. I dont know what some of you think but you dont win by sucking. Sucky players arent welcome just for that shear fact that we want to win. Its not that we dont like you and you should feel hurt. You have to know you suck, cmon.

Yeah you dont get into our clan by just being awesome. We dont run a strict outfit like I said. We just want skilled players who we like.

As for Buzz, you are thinking way too much into this and I will simply not respond to every question. It isnt our fault that the RO community does not have a huge competitive scene, otherwise we would be practicing and playing more hardcore. Anyone willing to join a clan probably knows that and we arent tricking them into joining a clan that they think is going straight to the CAL world championship...

That is a problem, there wont BE a CAL championship for this game it seems, as much as I would enjoy it.

So here is a bit closer to earth question.

What league are you in, and how have you done in the ladder?

What kind of clan are you trying to be.

For example, I have been part of several different kinds of clan.

1 the wandering clan that doesnt really have a server...
I have been part of clans like that, but I know you guys arent one so that kind of gets nixed.
2 A for fun clan that just plays on the server and enjoys chatting.
This kind of clan is fun, but doesnt necessarrilly need someone "good" in it
3 A competitive clan that expects monthly donations and committments of time and effort for practices.
Now I have been in clan type 3 before, and it was a fun and interesting experience, and as a gamer I advanced a lot in one, and it can be highly rewarding. But some people arent interested in that kind of thing and want to be in types 1 and 2.

4 is the kind of clan that plays in leagues but more as an afterthought and they dont take winning seriously but enjoy the competition of it.

I have been in those types of clans too, and they can be fun for what they are because of the low required committment but having the feeling of working together.

SO what kind of unit are you guys? From the outside it looks like a number 2 but without the expected activity.

I know I seem to be going on and on here, it is just that I have really been thinking about lately and I am the kind of individual to wax philisophical.

Upvote 0
Felix Ostheim said:
I completely understand where you are coming from and mean no disrespect or harsh feelings, you and your clan have my respect and the respect of my clan. It's true that when you try to play tactically you can easily be taken advantage of and defeated by people using the game engine to its' greatest extent. I am not naive nor blind to this fact...I just don't plan on giving up in trying to play the game tactically and realistically when I can. I find the game is much sweeter when things are done this way, that's why I want to play matches from now on with opponents who will see eye to eye with me in this, opponents who will set with me a higher standard of gameplay...there is plenty of room here for the common style and a more tactical, realistic style to come about where both sides are willing to strive for a more realistic experience by adopting some general gameplay guidelines. While some might ridicule this thinking as silly, impossible to achieve, or brush it off as a poor attempt of 'reenacting'...I just have to disagree, I think there is real potential with cooperation to improve the experience for everyone involved. Thanks for reading my long winded post :D

I 100% agree with you here. If there is enough willing clans to participate in realistic playstyles, count me in. Im in the same frame of mind as you as far as believing realistic playing is much sweeter. Its just a shame that most people dont agree or find it easier to go the other route and leave those of us who want the realism in the minority with little to participate in. The problem isnt determing the rules, its finding enough players to want to follow them.

The perfect situation is a game that favors realistic playstyles. As far as Ostfront already does this, it still gives alot of leeway to Rambo players and the like. Unfortunately we have to make the choice to play competively with the majority or attempt to play more intense and deeper games with those few who want it. Its a shame that its more rare for the latter to happen.

Upvote 0
IMO it is just too easy to go too far in one direction if you choose realism, ie "no hipping" comes to mind, which is utterly unrealisitic. On the other end there is the suicide nade charge, equally unrealisitic.

Finding a compromise will take time and patience at the risk of losing alot of players due to the volitile nature of internet decision making.

Upvote 0
Amerikaner said:
Well think of it this way, why would you recruit crappy players who work well together instead of the best players who do the same? You wouldnt. Project is arguably the best clan because all their players are awesome. As long as they have some form of cohesion in match play, theyre going to win.

well i guess it depends how seriously you take your gaming....we're more about having a chat and a laff together...so an amazing player would not get in C3ll if their personality was very annoying.

We still take wining seriously in matches tho, and always try our best...we won ladders in Call of Duty, and we've been getting better at BF2, currently No.2 in MGL...we hope to do the same in RO, its amazing what mediocore players can learn from the experienced players, and it improves everyones teamplay.

Upvote 0