• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Ping !!!!

con20or

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 16, 2006
Ireland
Have any of you who have played CS Source noticed that the ping is alot higher for RO?

Im not 100% sure what ping is, I know its good to have a low ping though. In general, my ping in CS is around 20 on a good day, 60 on a bad day.

In RO im lucky to get 60 ever! I alos notice that the servers all have higher pings when I am in the internet lobby.

Can someone clue me in please?:confused:

Thanks.

Its all about the server's location, their connection speed, and settings (oh and this applies to the client too). Being CS:S were talking about and how popular it is, naturally it will have more servers (which are probably closer to you) and better connection speeds. After this European box release, we are bound to see a ton of server pop up for RO. Though people say the UT 2.5 engine has the best net code, but I always have lower ping in HL 1/2 games. Maybe I'm just more use to that engine and how to set it up my settings right for it (plus being near DC means lots of servers nearby :D).

Upvote 0
Though people say the UT 2.5 engine has the best net code, but I always have lower ping in HL 1/2 games.
lower pings dusnt mean better gameplay.
the ping is often just a number.
on the whole, even with a higher ping the 'game experiance' is usualy better with the UT engine. (aspecialy if there are lagging players on the server, which in UT wont effect you, but in HL2 will effect your game)

and you can interperate ping in different ways.
with a ping of 20, its unlikely to include the time the server takes to actualy process your info and send back a reply ect. the f6 ping in the UT engine dus as far as i know.

but generaly speaking, anything under 200 should be eazaly playable, and anything under 100 is basicly a non-issue.
the thing you do have to realise thou is that in RO, the bullets actualy take time to get to the target (unlike CS:S for example)
so even with a ping of 0 you will have to lead a moving target (fire infront of a moving target)

Upvote 0
con20or said:
Have any of you who have played CS Source noticed that the ping is alot higher for RO?

Im not 100% sure what ping is, I know its good to have a low ping though. In general, my ping in CS is around 20 on a good day, 60 on a bad day.

In RO im lucky to get 60 ever! I alos notice that the servers all have higher pings when I am in the internet lobby.

Can someone clue me in please?:confused:

Thanks.

The ping in the HL egines and in UT engines are NOT the same! In HL engines the ping is the time it takes from your pc to the server and back. No processing done serverside. It's the pure netspeed. So you could have a great ping, but the servers just can't handle the load and you'll still get sluggish performance. You get the same when doing a ping from the commandline in windows.

The UT engine does include processing time on the server, which gives a more "rea lifel" value. Have you noticed, that when performance gets really really laggy on 32-man tank maps, that each players "ping" on the scoreboard rises an equal amount?? That's the server being overloaded.

So "ping" in UT games is always higher than in HL games.

Upvote 0
krylosz
The UT engine does include processing time on the server, which gives a more "rea lifel" value.

So "ping" in UT games is always higher than in HL games.
Ugh I knew I should have said something about how different games might have different ping times... hindsight is always 20/20. Also being that the HL engine would not tax a modern server very hard, process time wouldn't really be a big factor (edit: completly forgot we are talking about the source engine, in which case this sentence need not apply. Anyways, if you use Window's command prompt to ping www.google.com, is that "pure" netspeed or does that also include time to process?

Upvote 0
Who the hell cares about pings?
The reason to say the Unreal 2.5 net code is one of the best available is simply because it runs awesomely smooth! There is no way of comparing a CS-ping with a Unreal-ping. You simply HAVE lag in CS, no matter which one, whereas RO or America's Army, running the same engine, NEVER lagged me once. You simply don't have the "wait a second, i thought that guy was dead" feeling in them. You don't feel like firing right through someone!!
That's what makes a net code awesome, and the Unreal one definately is!

Upvote 0
manni
...in CS, no matter which one, whereas RO or America's Army, running the same engine, NEVER lagged me once. You simply don't have the "wait a second, i thought that guy was dead" feeling in them.
Thats due to the lag compensation (in source), I hate running around a corner to safety only to die because he "shot" me before I got there. Because of the time delay, the server rewinds your position to how it looked on your opponents screen and does hit calculations from there. Theres no way around it thats fair for everyone playing, the only "real time" games are the ones you play in real life. Though I'm not sure what kind of compensation Unreal 2.5 or HL uses, so I can't really compare them to Source.

Upvote 0
UT engine definitely also uses some kind of lag compensation, as no online game would be playable without one, as there's is lag all around. The thing is, that the one in UT is not visible as much as opposed to the one the Source engine uses. And that makes it one of the best out there.

The real difference is the gameplay. CS is straight close quarter battle, with lightspeed bullets and no distance greater than 60 meters. 5 to 10 m is the usual engagement range in CS. If you play CQB in ROOST you'll experience similar things as in CS, but they aren't as noticable as in CS. Generally the same rule applies to RO and CS: The one who moves actively around a corner is more likely to make the kill, as he see's the enemy first, due to lag. That's a fact for all online FPS's.

RO is different because if you miss a 150 meter shot, you're very likely to credit it to bullet drop, weapon sway or something like that. You're not primarily blaming the game, as is standard CS Kiddie community behaviour.

BTW I played CS & CS:S for years, and I never understood why people are always bitching about it. Lag and lag compensation are a fact when you're gaming online - playing games where miliseconds are a matter of life and death. If you wanna play lag free then go play on LAN's only.

Upvote 0
You haven't seen me. I'm damn quick :-D

But you have a teeny weeny little bit of an advantage in CQB as 120 ms is around the human reaction time till you can click the fire button, and if you actively go around the corner wih a smg and expect an enemy you can hit the button before he does. But hip-shooting isn't really as accurate as the crosshair in CS which I could position on the enemy's head instantely.

This reminds me of a situation yesterday. Played Axis on Baksan Valley Allies running out of reinforcements with our's at 5% and only Bridgehouse left to capture.There was an Ally camping there behind the stairs with a boltaction rifle. First time he totally surprised me => killed me. I came back threw my grenades, but couldn't get him. So knowing where he is, I shifted in CS mode :)-)) lined up my MP40, went round the corner and ... missed him from the hip, firing my half clip inoto the wall beneath him :)) Needless to say he killed me again, and we lost :)

In CS he'd be dead.

That's wha I like about RO. Defenders have an advantage like in real life. And hipshooting is also suberbly implemented.

Upvote 0
If I know where someone is I IS up and lean around the corner, something not doable in CS. I like how different classes really do have such an advantage and different ranges and in different situations. You could have popped your head out, let him shoot, and then popped out again and shot him easy irregardless if he had better ping if his guns not loaded youve got plenty of time to waste him. CS is too much about reflexes and not about thinking. I still love CS, not because I think its realistic,I just think its fun, and sometimes like the fact that I can rely on skill and not think about what Im doing in pubs sometimes. But when I want a better feel for tactical combat I play RO. I did out reflex someone in RO once. I was sniping in the tower as russians in Baksan valley when someone yelled though VOIP, Nite watch your back. So i pulled out my pistol and unloaded my clip hip shooting mind you into his body. He must have felt dumb considering he had an MP40 and I was a sniper. Im not sure if I did, but I kno that if I had it would have helped to have had better ping.

Upvote 0
krylosz
BTW I played CS & CS:S for years, and I never understood why people are always bitching about it. Lag and lag compensation are a fact when you're gaming online - playing games where miliseconds are a matter of life and death. If you wanna play lag free then go play on LAN's only.
Well its the difference from what you see and what the server sees thats annoying, "Phew I made it to sa... DEAD? WTF!1". Oh and... "Theres no way around it thats fair for everyone playing, the only "real time" games are the ones you play in real life."

Upvote 0