• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

so why did i spend $25?

Status
Not open for further replies.

felony

Apr 8, 2006
So I watched a few videos, look at a few screen shots, and look through the forums here before i drop $25 bucks on this game. Everything pointed towards good deal. I read some reviews, I enjoy steam products... so i went ahead with this purchase.

I downloaded RO tonight and have not yet been able to play. As of now I am out $25 bucks. Most 3rd party steam games work better then this. At least I am able to play them!!! I read here that an "unofficial fix" is to reinstall steam". laughable, I cant believe I spent money on this...

the game looks promising, looks fun, and looks great.. but get your act together..

dan

edit.. sorry for the rant. i know this is in the wrong forum, but to tell you the truth i am slight angry that i even have to register for a forum for a product i just purchased to post a question none the less. i dont want this in the support forum, i can read about all the bugs there for myself..

Quietus said:
Do you have Zone Alarm?

yes i do. i read numerous threads where people said ZA caused BSODs.. so i obviously tried to turn it off and then load steam up etc.

i got a BSOD..

i am still searching the forums and now i read that i must uninstall ZA.. i guess I will give that a shot and then try kerio as my firewall..

i hate to sound bitchy, but i am obviously angry... and a little bit intoxicated.

thanks for the quick resposne though, i appreciate it.

dan

edit.. have just uninstalled ZA and going through reboot and installation of kerio.. will update you guys

Upvote 0
Well, I can say that if you have a good read through the support forums you might find a solution to your problems, but if not, submit a new thread there and you'll get some attention. Dont forget your system specs ;). We like to keep and eye on intoxicated members, who knows, they might do something silly :D.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Well, I can say that if you have a good read through the support forums you might find a solution to your problems, but if not, submit a new thread there and you'll get some attention. Dont forget your system specs ;). We like to keep and eye on intoxicated members, who knows, they might do something silly :D.

lol.. well here goes.

uninstalled ZA and intalled kerio.. fresh restart and loading up steam.

dan

Upvote 0
Im not sure why poeple think they have to post for support in the general discussion area. I'll move this thread over to the support area where it belongs. I am also quite tired of hearing poeple telling Tripwire to "get our act together" because ZoneLabs likes to do shady stuff in thier software that messes with legitimate programs. If poeple want to rant and ask someone to get thier act together, please go rant on Zone Labs forums. Thanks.

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
Im not sure why poeple think they have to post for support in the general discussion area. I'll move this thread over to the support area where it belongs. I am also quite tired of hearing poeple telling Tripwire to "get our act together" because ZoneLabs likes to do shady stuff in thier software that messes with legitimate programs. If poeple want to rant and ask someone to get thier act together, please go rant on Zone Labs forums. Thanks.

ok, i dont know. i have been working with computers for a long time now and have never run across something that simply doesnt work due to a firewall. much less doesnt work unless you fully uninstall it. much less get a BSOD from using that firewall.

i dont care who's fault it is.. it should be fixed.

ok, so kerio works. i got into the game, and it seems like americas army, 1945 style.. cool.

i dont care where you move my thread.

dan

Upvote 0
Believe me you do not want your money back. RO:OST is so bad ass. Just calm down and go through the support forums and do what you can. If that don't work make a post with your system specs and what you have tried already and you will get alot of help from the friendly people of this comunity. The game is so good it is worth the extra trouble. Just hang in there.:)

Upvote 0
thanks for your responses guys.. and i do appreciate them.

someone was kind enough to PM me and I do appreciate that.

let me stat something.. I think the game and it's concept is cool. I am not unfamiliar with games of the sort. Americas army and others i have played are similiar imho.

what i do not like is the problems i have enountered to play. they are simialar to that of a freeware open source program. nothing is assured and you dont know if it is going to work -- which i find silly.

i have finally been able to join a server and the game seems alright. it is a little bit glitch in the menu and sometimes i have to alt tab in and out to get the menu to show.

other then that the game is ok. gameplay is fine and it definatly displays realism, more so then AA imho. i will give it a shot, but it is tough for me to play when it takes me 4-5 minutes to get into a server because the menu constantly lags out and i need to alt tab in to get the menu's to display.

thanks for the help, i do appreciate it...
dan

Upvote 0
[RO]Ramm-Jaeger said:
I have to admit that after reading this response from the "Tripwire Interactive President", I'm seriously thinking about talking to my credit card company to initiate a chargeback for my RO purchase.

Sir,

I'm one of your customers, who bought RO on the day before the release, which is now almost three weeks ago. I have only been able to play RO briefly, because someone, who is not affiliated with Tripwire and Valve, patched a file named "steamdrv.sys", which is located in the steam folder. Nobody here, who continues to simply blame ZoneLabs for doing "shady stuff", is able to explain to me, why patching a file that was obviously part of the steam distribution is an indication that the problem was not Valve's/TW's problem, but solely ZA's.
Now we paying customers, who are not able to use the product we pay for, are being told to shut up and go away?

This is a level of arrogance that I think is way to bold for a new company that tries to get its foot in this competitive market.
If that's your idea of doing business and treating your paying customers, I would be amazed to see the name of your company around for a long time.

I hope that this attitude is simply showing your lack of experience in the field of customer care and that you will be around long enough to improve it - we, our customers, deserve it.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Upvote 0
ChuckB said:
This is a level of arrogance that I think is way to bold for a new company that tries to get its foot in this competitive market.
If that's your idea of doing business and treating your paying customers, I would be amazed to see the name of your company around for a long time.

I hope that this attitude is simply showing your lack of experience in the field of customer care and that you will be around long enough to improve it - we, our customers, deserve it.

Sincerely,

Chuck

Sorry m8 but the supprot here is great your just looking in the wrong place as for the customer care skills take a look at IW mate COD2 out november still no anti cheat come on whats all that about, no news on when the patch is coming out now that screwing yur customers over. now pic your dummy up off the floor and install a real firewall and av suite instead of the crap you use.;)

Upvote 0
Someguy said:
I'm guessing the reason the dev's are so pissed is because people are whining on there forums about a **** up that ZA made.

So why was someone who does not work for TW able to fix the this "**** up that ZA made" by patching a file called "steamdrv.sys" that is part of the Steam distribution? Does that really sound like a "**** up that ZA made"? To me that sounds like a problem with steam, which is more in TW's court than in ZA's court.

Upvote 0
curlywurly said:
Sorry m8 but the supprot here is great your just looking in the wrong place as for the customer care skills take a look at IW mate COD2 out november still no anti cheat come on whats all that about, no news on when the patch is coming out now that screwing yur customers over. now pic your dummy up off the floor and install a real firewall and av suite instead of the crap you use.;)

Guess there is some kind of sense hidden in your posting. Sounds like you're trying to tell me that there are companies that are slower than TW in fixing problems. Very useful, thanks!

Upvote 0
I'm so tired of TW representatives blaming ZA. I uninstalled ZA, completely eradicating all traces of the firewall, and I got a General Protection Fault. Whose fault is that then?

I guess it must be mine. It can't be the fault of the people who made this grand game, can it?

I should just shut up and be content with the product, even though I haven't even seen the Main Menu of the game yet despite owning the game for two weeks now.

Upvote 0
ChuckB said:
Nobody here, who continues to simply blame ZoneLabs for doing "shady stuff", is able to explain to me, why patching a file that was obviously part of the steam distribution is an indication that the problem was not Valve's/TW's problem, but solely ZA's.
explanation : the file in the steam distribution, triggers the bug in ZA (because ZA crosses over into territory where it shouldnt be poking its nose)

patching that file so it long longer triggers the ZA bug is why it 'fixes' the problem.
its what called a "work around" you work around the problem in another persons software by changing your own, but the real problem is still there in the other persons software.

RO:O isnt the only software to trigger that BSOD bug in ZA btw, there are a few other programes that do the same. you can find out which on the ZA forums.

as for vonreuter's GPF, could be anybodys fault. just like in UT2k4 a GPF can be triggerd by a lot of things.
could also be i allready posted a fix for you in the other thread, could also be your fault for having OC'd to much could be because your drivers arent up to date.
the way your saying it thou you make it sound like TW is blaming ZA for that GPF which is clearly not the case!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
wow. i am suprised so many people have responded to this thread.

Chuck: I feel the exact same was as you, just couldn't express it in words. Thank your for that..

Sir,

I'm one of your customers, who bought RO on the day before the release, which is now almost three weeks ago. I have only been able to play RO briefly, because someone, who is not affiliated with Tripwire and Valve, patched a file named "steamdrv.sys", which is located in the steam folder. Nobody here, who continues to simply blame ZoneLabs for doing "shady stuff", is able to explain to me, why patching a file that was obviously part of the steam distribution is an indication that the problem was not Valve's/TW's problem, but solely ZA's.
Now we paying customers, who are not able to use the product we pay for, are being told to shut up and go away?

Sincerely,

Chuck

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.