• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Good News ZA Users!!!

Sven Viking said:
I'm using the latest version of ZoneAlarm, and was previously experiencing the crash. After installing the fixed dll, I've been able to run the game perfectly (though afraid I haven't been able to get any serious play time in), and can avoid the freeze on exit by alt-tabbing to Windows and closing the game from there.

I can second that for my system. I wasn't able to start it up yesterday or today, so if it is true what one of the posters say above that Valve updated some files, which "removed" the patched dll, I can't say anything about that.

Upvote 0
Keep hold of that file

Keep hold of that file

When steam updated their files on my system this morning it overwrote the patched steam file from kAMIKAZE and caused the BSODs again.

However I copied the patced file back in and it works once more.

So looks like we need to keep that patched Steam file handy and copy it back in once again every time Steam updates their files.

Upvote 0
CG Man
How do I install the patch its in an unknown file format nothing happens when I click on it.
You don't have to "install" it, its just a file that you extract.
Attached is the patched Steamdvr.sys for those who want to try it out. Download the attachment SteamDvr.zip and unzip it. Go to C:\Program Files\Steam\bin\x86. In x86 folder, rename the original Steamdvr.sys (so as not to lose it) and copy the patched Steamdvr.sys to this folder. I have tested this only for Zone Alarm 6.1.744.001. As usual your mileage may vary.
Now you should have 2 files in that folder the older Steamdvr.sys (don't move it out of the folder just rename it to something like "Steamdvr.sys ORIGINAL") and the new one

Upvote 0
New wrinkle....
DL and unzip the patch.
Copy to correct location.
Launch Steam
Steam immediately does an update Steam Platform overwriting the patch
Launch RO = BSOD
Boot again and once more copy the patch
No BSOD but Critical Error :UObject:SafeLoadError<-UObject:StaticLoadClass<-InitEngine<-FMallocWindows::Free<-FMallocWindows::Free

Upvote 0
It's BBBBAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

It's BBBBAAAAACCCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, at least I got to play it for a few days....

Whatever Steam did today with its update,or whatever totally screwed the work around...

Now I am back to the load game, CRASH, hard restart! WTF?

How about someone get back to us on this...cause now it has been 2 weeks...and I am back to square one....Unacceptable!

Upvote 0
Autumnsghost said:
Well, at least I got to play it for a few days....

Whatever Steam did today with its update,or whatever totally screwed the work around...

Now I am back to the load game, CRASH, hard restart! WTF?

How about someone get back to us on this...cause now it has been 2 weeks...and I am back to square one....Unacceptable!

That was exactly my fear that I expressed in another thread that deals with this topic when some smarta.. demanded that everyone should now shut up "since the problem is solved now" ...

I'll try later today, but I heard that it is possible to use the same patched driver file again. On the other hand - if Steam updates a file, it migth well be for a reasons ... I don't own any other Steam games (and after my whole experience here I'm not sure I ever will ...), but I don't want to mess their system by constantly messing with files that are apparently required.

Oh, Autumnsghost, small correction: It is now almost THREE weeks since this game was released.
It's about time that this problem gets solved - and after this experience with this patch I simply refuse to accept any simple finger-pointing in ZA's direction (and - even less - any finger-pointing in Valve's direction, since I, the customer, don't care if the developer or the distributor has to do it, they are both equally responsible for making sure that I get what I paid for).

Chuck

Upvote 0
Rex Bellator said:
If you are in the Midlands UK let me know and I'll get you a beer.

What a bloody star.

After weeks of passing the buck a lone player has cracked it and as we all knew it was not Zonelarm that needed to fix anything.

Hopefully the dev's/steam will get their collective heads out of their arses and make this steam file iincluded in a patch soon.

Who knows, maybe these incompetants will actually admit they ****** up soon.

Lmao. Ignorance > me, apparently.

Upvote 0
Is the patch only for ZA users?

Is the patch only for ZA users?

Is the patch only for ZA users? I do not have ZA and still can not run the game at all. Ideas? Anyone else out side of TW wanting to write a patch for us 4600 people that can not run the game. Ill pay you , I mean why not pay you.... I already paid them:( :rolleyes: It's been how long???

Upvote 0
KAMAKAZI Fix Working Again

KAMAKAZI Fix Working Again

I used Kamakaze's fixed file and I was able to play RO with ZASS. However, I got the PreCondition Assertion Failed error message upon exit from RO, but I could go to the task manager and shut the error message down and exit from RO. Steam updated and then I got the BSOD. So I reloaded the fixed file and I got the BSOD. I thought great, no game, I'll have to wait for a patch. I tried it again last night and wonder of wonders, it works again. However, now when I exit, I get the PreCondition Assertion Failed message but I can no longer shut it down with task manager. The task manager is behind the RO exit screen. Now I have to do a hard reset to get the error message to shut down. I guess thats a little progress and I'm beginning to actual learn how to play and learn some of the maps.

Upvote 0