• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Pixelhunting: serious problem.

a slight zoom wont make any difference,because if your saying that people with a bigger resolution are at an advantage.Theyll just be at a bigger advantage with zoom.
If you cant hit someone so far away becaused you cant hardly see him,chances are hes the same and that a pot shot hits you.RO aint all about kills any,if you cant hit some guy camped on a hill run for the objective and pick him off easier when hes closer

Upvote 0
Thank you Simfreak! As you can see, the resolution in computer monitors severely hampers your "virtual" sight, in real life as I said, your "resolution" is incredibly high, therefore you can spot small figures at a very long range compared to RO:OST.

Also, a lot of you made some good counter-arguments and I agree on a few points, but as I said, just increasing the FOV a little bit would NOT be unrealistic, come on, the human eye is a billion times better than what we're stuck with in RO:OST. I know it's hard to hit things in combat, and when they're hiding, what I mean by that was not hiding it was keeping a low profile but still being able to see the enemy.

Basically, I can hit everything no doubt, but I have to press my head against the monitor and this is really uncomfortable, as I said- in real combat while it is much harder to hit because of combat around you, your vision is much better. What we have to do here is get real close to our monitors, and not all of us have the monitors up in our faces, I have a big CRT and I keep it at a distance because I prefer it that way, I'm not gonna change my whole setup to be better at RO:OST.

I repeat, my monitor is a little further away than normal and what I have to do is move my entire body towards it to distinguish shapes like if I were an elderly person, c'mon.

There is nothing unrealistic about lowering your FOV when you go to IS. I'd like to see a virtual shooting range map made in RO:OST with ironsight pics and then pics of a shooting range in real life, taking photos of the ironsights of the real k98 in the shooting range. You'll notice your visuals are much crisper in real life.

I don't want to sound like I want the game changed for my benefit, but for everyone, maybe a compromise but NO zooming at all is simply awful and my back/neck hurts from moving all over the place because it's very hard to see in RO:OST as it is.

Upvote 0
kabex said:
There is nothing unrealistic about lowering your FOV when you go to IS.

Expcept that there is. I went in to a long explanation in another post about how reducing FOV in game brings this forward becuase of how things are rendered in the world. IRL reducing your FOV does not make things look bigger. Therefore, since decreased FOV in game also makes things appear to be larger it is unrealisitic.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Expcept that there is. I went in to a long explanation in another post about how reducing FOV in game brings this forward becuase of how things are rendered in the world. IRL reducing your FOV does not make things look bigger. Therefore, since decreased FOV in game also makes things appear to be larger it is unrealisitic.
Let me put it this way: imagine playing RO:OST in a 50" monitor with the resolution of 100000x100000: that's real life.

Lowering just a little when it goes to IS would fix a lot of headaches. I just can't see a real soldier having this much trouble seeing his target at such short ranges.

Upvote 0
I think this would solve a lot of issues with making shots at long range and also make hipshooting a more sensible option when moving around at close quarters (since you want a wider FOV generally at close range)

Yes, it's not realistic in the sense that when you look down the sights in real life you don't magically become able to see better but it represents both that you're more focused and concentrated on aiming then when you have you gun lowered and makes how you percieve distance more like how you really would IRL.

Upvote 0
If the fov is going to be changed i vote for changing it over teh whole loadout and not only in ironsight. Give people the ability to change their fovs 10 or so from the default of 85. so a min of 75 and a max of 95. Where people can find their own favourite. Only adding it when using ironsight is just bad in my opinion you don't zoom in when using ironsight.

(Fov 20 is thesame as the ut2k4 sniper rifle)

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
I would have imagined it was technical reasons you were referring to, when you said such FOV alteration would never be done; i.e. this game would not be able to provide in-fly FOV-alterations or something. But if you're saying that this is solely for "realism" purposes, that's just ridiculous. This is a game you know, there are already a lot of unrealism in its aiming; you simply could not hold your sights that steady IRL as you do in the game, especially while standing without resting your gun. Just the top of the iceberg.

This would be merely a gameplay decision that makes up for the fact that we don't have panorama monitors with an infinite resolution. You should not need to move your head closer to your screen to get an advantage, in my opinion. Adding this feature would not reduce realism at all.

My another 2 cents. :)

edit: In fact, perhaps this FOV-changing should be applied only when prone, and maybe crouched; because, IRL you could not dream of hitting a human-size target over 100 meters away while standing yourself. Just a thought.

edit#2: Another thing, completely offtopic, but sniper rifles should shake way more while you're standing. And all other weapons, for that matter. If it's realism we want, that is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Helmut_AUT said:
I have to agree - thankfully I own a 1600x1200 20" TFT, but I clearly noticed that my long-term gaming friend who I play online with had problems seeing things on his normal 17" TFT, until he too switched to a 1600x1200 - 20" display.

A bit of zoom into ironsights with the darker fading border, as it was in the mod, would go both towards better playability and better atmosphere.

Me too 20 inch viewing,but i never play on 1600x1200 frames get bad. i normally use 1024x768. But when i play with the MOD I don't notice anything? Unless this new version still has alot of keeks.

Upvote 0
Look folks, the human eye is not a telescopic lense, it CANNOT change the size of something that remains at a fixed distance. Therefore zooming (which is a function of making the FOV smaller, which CAN be done in the UE2.5 engine) will NOT be implemented. This is just like the bloodly class selection bitching except that its even less relevant becuase it really doesnt change that much from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200. I have played at both and currently play at 1280x1024 WINDOWED, it does not make a difference in my proformance.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Look folks, the human eye is not a telescopic lense, it CANNOT change the size of something that remains at a fixed distance. Therefore zooming (which is a function of making the FOV smaller, which CAN be done in the UE2.5 engine) will NOT be implemented. This is just like the bloodly class selection bitching except that its even less relevant becuase it really doesnt change that much from 1280x1024 to 1600x1200. I have played at both and currently play at 1280x1024 WINDOWED, it does not make a difference in my proformance.

Have you been outside lately? Look at a human sized object at 300 meters. Now compare that with RO. This is an issue. We can

Upvote 0