• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

is'nt worth all the monkeying around

hanginfool

Mar 17, 2006
Hello all, im thru fooling around with my ZA and everything else trying to fix just this one game. I'll just have to try to accept that I just have a game that dont work. Its ridiculous to start messing with hidden files and all that crap and lose valuable gaming time. I guess everyone will just have to sit tight till a fix comes up. I am out $25.00:confused:

Well as some people who use ZA have said this takes about 5 - 10 minutes, but i guess that depends how easy those Things are for some persons.

The Problem is still being worked on, and if its worth it depends upon which kind of Game you like. Can't promise you you'll find it worth it, if i don't know what games you like.

If you like to play in a Way People did fight for Real, or at least close to it, without Fast Action, but intense Action nonetheless, like a dark and gritty Atmosphere/Graphic. Then it might be worth it, or wait a Week or two and you might get a Fix from ZA, and play something else during that time and stuff.

Whats not worth it, is refreshing this Forum every 5 Seconds and hoping for a Solution, cause this will only frustrate you in the course of a Week or Two. If you decide to wait, i suggest looking here all 2 or 4 Days, not less :)

DISCLAIMER:

I don't know when the Patch from ZoneLabs will be released, but they are working on this for already nearly 2 Weeks, while Tripwire is already testing some fixes for other Bugs for about a Week, to make sure nothing bad happens on the Patch Day (though as always with Software, some Bug will be/stay there).

Hope that helps.

Upvote 0
A hardware firewall is nice, but it shouldn't be needed for a single computer connecting directly to the 'Net.

I have always found ZA to serve quite well for that purpose, and given that this is the only game I've ever had a compatibility issue with, I am reluctant to place all the blame on Zone Labs. Even other Steam applications and UT versions have run fine with it.

Until this is ironed out, I'm using the Windows Firewall - but I'm not really too keen on it.

Upvote 0
I understand that ZA users are reluctant to abandon it especially if they've used it for a long time, but honestly I've tried ZA before and had nothing but problems with it. It just seemed like a bug ridden mess to me. I found Kerio firewall many years ago and it's rock solid; never a single problem with it never!
It's small & efficient, and doesn't bog down your system. If I were you (and all the other ZA users) I'd drop ZA like a diseased syringe but that's just me. http://www.sunbelt-software.com/Kerio.cfm

Upvote 0
I've never had a problem running zone alarm on any other game. All the issues I've seen with people and Zone Alarm come from novice computer users who don't know how to properly configure a software program.

This is a GPF (General Protection Fault) error, which is caused when a program tries to access a protected area of memory. Zone Alarm locks itself into memory to avoid getting turned off by virus and spyware applications (assumably). I have never seen a game to date that tries to access ZA's memory allocation, and thus cause a GPF error. Like I said, I've never had an issue running Zone Alarm with any games before, why now?

Why does RO try to access ZA's memory allocation? Is this an Anti-Cheating measure? I'm sorry that I'm assuming a lot of things, but from my point of view, this is what is happening because this error isn't caused from any other games.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
ever read the changelogs of the zonealarm drivers, there are lots of problems with lots of games its just that they usually get fixed after a month or so. Even bf1942 had problems with it (although the fix came a few days after the demo was released)

Anyway you could always use an older version of Zonealarm till they release a patch. everything older than 6.1 should work.

Download ZoneAlarm Free - 8.87 MB
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1012_zl/zlsSetup_60_631_003.exe
Download ZoneAlarm Pro - 8.87 MB
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1043_zl/zapSetup_60_631_003.exe
Download ZoneAlarm with Antivirus - 12.8 MB
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1043_zl/zaAvSetup_60_631_003.exe
Download ZoneAlarm Security Suite - 21.7 MB
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/1043_zl/zaSuiteSetup_60_631_003.exe
Download Zone Labs IMsecure - 3.53 MB
http://download.zonelabs.com/bin/free/9901_zl/imsecureSetup_15_39.exe

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've used ZA since it first became available, and trust me that it HAS had and CONTINUES to have issues not only with games, but with any other program that tries to access the internet or any other source beyond the box it is installed in. And be very, very careful about the "novice" argument. Some of us have been around computers and programming for them longer than most on this board have been alive.

Upvote 0
I Dont Use Zonealarm

I Dont Use Zonealarm

I do not use a firewall. I do not have any starforce protection drivers on my system (i removed em with a nifty little tool I have).

Why does my computer still reboot while Im playing.

Yes. I did disable auto-reboot on critical error. Yes Yes Yes.. I did all the things here and I still power down in middle of game. W.T.F.

This is the buggiest game I have ever seen.

You Suck,
Neurosis :cool:

Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
And be very, very careful about the "novice" argument. Some of us have been around computers and programming for them longer than most on this board have been alive.

I would fal among those as well. The Only Novice's here are the guys who made this game. Want to prove me wrong? Then stop pointing fingers at your users and fix your goddamned software.

Love,
Neurosis :eek:

Upvote 0
Neurosis said:
I would fal among those as well. The Only Novice's here are the guys who made this game. Want to prove me wrong? Then stop pointing fingers at your users and fix your goddamned software.

Love,
Neurosis :eek:
Although I think that's going too far -- it may well be bad programming on Zone Labs' part that is causing the problem (Neurosis' problem shouldn't be directly related, since he can get the game to load in the first place). Surely there has to be a workaround that doesn't require a ZoneAlarm patch, though. Many things do work with ZoneAlarm... UT2004 works with ZoneAlarm. The Red Orchestra mod for UT2004 works with ZoneAlarm.

Something in RO:O is causing a conflict. It may be Zone Labs' fault, but that's not the point. The point is, surely if that something could be found, it could be altered so that it no longer caused a conflict? It must be something that's changed between the mod and retail version, and I doubt it's something like the addition of tanks :rolleyes:...

Edit: UT2004, I meant, not 2003.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the retail is the first ut2k4 alike game on steam and thats where most of the problems are with this game.

ZoneAlarm had major problem with ALOT of games in the past, beside using an older version fixes your problem. So its RO:O's problem that the older versions work but the newest versions of zonealarm get bugged? And that the RO:O people should fix a bug of crashes inside zonealarm what they can't even touch? Yeah Right.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
the retail is the first ut2k4 alike game on steam and thats where most of the problems are with this game.

ZoneAlarm had major problem with ALOT of games in the past, beside using an older version fixes your problem. So its RO:O's problem that the older versions work but the newest versions of zonealarm get bugged? And that the RO:O people should fix a bug of crashes inside zonealarm what they can't even touch? Yeah Right.
As mentioned, I'm not saying it's their fault - but it would certainly be in their best interests to have the problem solved, right? Regardless of who's at fault, the problem is turning people who would have been satisfied customers spreading the news about Red Orchestra - into frustrated customers who'll spread misinformation about the game's incredible bugginess.

I accept that it is not possible for the RO guys to "fix" the problem, since the problem is in ZoneAlarm. What I was saying, is that there must be a "work-around".

Let's look at it this way... if Zone Labs had intentionally written ZoneAlarm solely for the purpose of detecting a Red Orchestra launch occuring and crashing it - while allowing other, very similar games to run - there would STILL be a way to solve the problem without changing ZoneAlarm. Find what ZoneAlarm is objecting to (in this example's case, whatever ZoneAlarm is using to distinguish Red Orchestra from other products), and alter it.

Games can be made that do not trigger this ZoneAlarm flaw which crashes your system. Having russians and tanks and 3D iron sights in your game does not make it impossible to avoid this problem. It is likely to be a very specific segment of code.

I admit, though, that it could potentially be something that's it's not worth the trouble of changing... If RO:OST has fancy all-new net code and ZoneAlarm objects to the whole system, for example, rewriting it wouldn't make sense. Also, if Zone Labs really is likely to fix the problem shortly, now, it may no longer be worthwhile looking for a work-around.

Upvote 0
Sven Viking said:
Although I think that's going too far -- it may well be bad programming on Zone Labs' part that is causing the problem (Neurosis' problem shouldn't be directly related, since he can get the game to load in the first place).

OK now that we have established that my problem is not the zonealarm (since I dont use it) WTF is going on? Where is MY patch?

Im running on a AMD64 3500+ w/ 2GB RAM and an ATI RADEON 9700+ 128MB... ???

I can play far cry w/ graphics MAXED OUT. Also Call Of Duty 2 MAXED OUT both run like a dream. I know its not my PC stats... I know its not my Configuration of my Operating System. Hrmmm... where does that leave us?

Obvious Troubleshooting steps would conclude the question is WTF IS WRONG WITH THE SOFTWARE?!

Angry Kittens Everywhere,
Neurosis :mad:

Upvote 0