• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Can Anyone Read This?

JesseCuster

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 11, 2006
Ok, this is from the butt of the Israeli K98k that I referenced in my other thread in here. This strip of masking tape is on the butt, and there's writing on it in blue ball point pen.

One might expect that it was Hebrew, considering that the rifle lived in Israel for quite a few decades .... but it isn't. Does anyone out there have any idea what it might mean? I Photoshopped the text a little darker so that it would actually be legible.

98k001.jpg

Whats-This-Mean.jpg

Yea, we used Kar89s one time at basic training in the army.. it was pretty awesome
I cant recognize the language, looks like an east european, it propably belonged to a soldier who immigrated from eastern europe
Ill keep some heads busy on this (people who served in the 40s, 30s) and msg back when and if i get an answer!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've only had it for a week or so. Actually, 5 days, come to think of it.

When I say "old," in relation to the masking tape, I don't mean "1945," obviously. Unfortunately, there's no way to really narrow the age range too much. Ball point pens came into common use in 1945, masking tape was invented in 1925.

I'm thinking the tape appears to be 15-20 years old.

As far as it being a name, that's what I'm thinking, too. I've googled possible names made up of those letters, haven't come up with much. "Juyup" appears to be a fairly common name in Korea. I did get a hit on "ajpuyup," from a site I think is Guatemalan (ending in .gt), but the document containing it wouldn't load. The site was related to SEGEPLAN, which appears to be the "Secretariat of Planning and Programming for the Presidency."

It has something to do with Guatemala. It is known that quite a lot of the Israeli K98k's went there.

Upvote 0