• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Favourite WW2 Documentrys?

Cluase Von Wittybrain

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 22, 2006
It can be on any aspect of the war...so dont confine it to the eastern front.

I love Guido Knopp Documentrys...There has been some great ones! One of them recently was on the Last days in Hitlers bunker...Like Der Untergang but i actully liked it better. IF you watch both they give you a much better perspective...as some of the points are opposing.

Anyhow...As for my favourite.

It would have to be The WORLD at WAR.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00005NOOH/002-8673060-9519227?v=glance&n=130

Ive watched it all...excellent footage and real accounts as it was made During the early 70's? ? And alot more vetrans had memorys and where interviewed etc.

One of the interesting ones is the Wheat silo in Stalingrad that held Germans up for weeks...there only liek 30 Russians in the siloBuilding thing...but they could not rat them out...it was at the start of stalingrad. Very interesting.

Anyone esle suggest anything specific...Ive seen some Really good Austrlian-Japanese Docos...But i cant remebr the names...

Grimble Grumble said:
There was one called "Battlefields" I think that in my opinion was the best documentary has it picked out a battle, went over who was involved, weapons, etc. It was mostly ww2 but they did a few ones from other wars (e.g. vietnam). But World at War wins for the chilling music man....

I know the series you are talking about. They take a couple of battles and compare them, in what ways they were similar, how one ****ed up in one aspect and the other didn't. I've seen 2 of them, one where they compare the Soviet counterattack at Moscow and the Yom Kippur war, and the other Operation Market Garden and some operation in Vietnam.

Guido Knopp's doco's are rather good, but the only thing that tends to bother me about them is that he seems to find all the apologetic German vets to interview. Maybe that's just me.

Upvote 0
The "Why We Fight Series" narrated by Frank Capra, by far the most hilarious and stereotypical documentary to date. I think it was made during 1943 because it doesn't go beyond that. I have most of the movies on beta max they were my dads im trying to modernize the series to DVD so far I have the Battle of Russia and Battle of China series.

Upvote 0
M.C.Darkness said:
The "Why We Fight Series" narrated by Frank Capra, by far the most hilarious and stereotypical documentary to date. I think it was made during 1943 because it doesn't go beyond that. I have most of the movies on beta max they were my dads im trying to modernize the series to DVD so far I have the Battle of Russia and Battle of China series.

Yeh the Frank Capra one is quite good...HE also directed it BTW and won an Oscar I beleive.

There was another et of DVD,s i hae watched that are up there with the World at War...but cant think of the name of it..im shooting myself as i never got to watch the whole series.

Id really like to see some German documentrys..if there are any? Or prehaps russian..but thay would definatly not be too accurate...what is that Russian directors name that worked for Stalin and did most of the WW2footage? Very interesting guy...been everywhere...wish i could remember his name now.

Upvote 0
try the stalingrad documentary
features germans and russians with interviews of both germans and russians
3 parts ofer 3 hours long
1 dvd but top quality

can anyone give me a good tip of some documentarys that feature both axis and alies without that american heroes crap?
i once bought a WWI documentation where the americans where 'THE' heroes and all other where bad and or weak...

Upvote 0
Oberst Freitag said:
WWII in color is another very good documentary...on par with World at War
IMHO...it is a Joke...apart from the Colour film aspect of it.

Ive watched heaps..and WW2 in colour is not one of them.

Although Beit...I have seen 2 versions of aWW2 Colour film.

One i think (i Think was the version Pycckuu was reffering too which i have not looked at your link yet) . the other was a westrn made one with no impartiality but good footage..but due to being colour very little decent footage...most of it concerned the Home front which is interesting but gave little scope.

Edit: Pycckuu link was the one i had seen but in english. Good doco

While on google Video though i spotted this Me109 Footage it is a Genuine ME109 bein flown now days..impressive.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-4639628744781713131&q=WW2

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Best Documentary?
The World At War, BUT honourable runner up is IMHO The Secret war a six part documentary about the backroom boys (and girls) and their role in Radar, Enigma, Knickebein,V weapons and many other aspects. A book accompanied it which I have read and re-read. Without this program, made ages ago, I might never have known about RV Jones and Alan Turing.
Best point? For years ENIAC was acknowledged as the FIRST programmable computer ever made. The first programmable computer ever made was COLOSSUS a fact that the UK wouldn't admit because at the time it was still secret :D . Alan Turing (look it up on google) the father of the computer so much so that a test for AI in a computer is still known as the Turing Test.

Upvote 0
Your point is well made....
However
"Colossus was preceded by several computers, many first in some category. Zuse's Z3 was the first functional fully program-controlled computer, and was based on electromechanical relays, as were the (less advanced) Bell Labs machines of the late 1930s (George Stibitz, et al). Assorted analog computers were semiprogrammable, some of these much predated the 1930s (eg, Vannevar Bush). Babbage's Analytical engine antedated all these (in the mid-1800s), and was both digital and programmable, but was only partially constructed and never functioned at the time (a replica of his Difference engine No. 2, built in 1991 does work, however). Colossus was the first combining all of digital, (partially) programmable, and electronic"
The important section is the last sentence. While Zuse had almost all the boxes ticked, colossus was the the first to tick them all :D

Upvote 0