• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Solo Tankers

sure it's hit or miss with a team mate in a tank on a public server, but we have to give it a try. I'd say in the recent days, I've had better tank experiences and have had team mates working together, etc.

sure you get the occaisional guy who will not listen to any of your commands/directions, but, using the VoIP and the in-vehicle chat (shows up as green text on the screen) usually gets the job done.

make sure to have the "stop", "forwards", go left, go right and back up commands bound to keys and ready to go.

happy hunting!

Upvote 0
I play this game for a few days. Never have played any tank game before, only CS and DOD. Yet I think reading the forums and learning the maps has made me a decently good driver and gunner.

But still I mostly go solo because:

- Every tme I enter a game I ask "who has got voice". Many different servers, but mostly only one guy or none at all will answer

- OK, I get into a tank, ready to drive or command. I ask via Voice "Anyone fancy some teamwork, I'm in the Panther waiting for you". Usually nothing happens.

- Also trying to communicate with team chat, but this has never ever provoked any reaction besides answering to my "hi".

- The only times I had some very good fun driving with two guys was when by chance I got a Voice-Less commander, but he would use the voice commands just right. Being German I also didn't need to read, just listen :) Man, that was fun... I really ought to be looking for niceservers instead of nice maps in the future...

Besides that I can only second what mayn people said: It sucks having an useless commander/driver who is NOT willing to learn or can not even communicate, nor is it fun to sit and wait for anyone wanting to join your tank. Not to speak of the guys who leave their tank as soon as you get into it.

So what I was planning to do is set up some RO servers on my server to be 24/7 with my favourite maps, so I have a server to play on. Secondly to absolutely encourage teamwork and communication, kicking ignorant or 100% useless people. But the, I am online too little time to enfocre this :(

Upvote 0
prometheus deb said:
Why does it seem to be the case that the majority of people want to crew the tanks on their own? Nearly every time I get into a tank that someone else has just entered, the other person gets out again and goes to get another one for himself. If everyone is soloing in tanks, isn't it inevitable that you just end up with tank crews hanging around the spawns waiting for a vehicle instead of taking part in the battle?
It's simple math really. ;) On a scale of 1 to 10 where 1 is no fun and 10 is hella fun, coordinating a tank well as a team is a 10 but when you get those drivers that won't stop so you can get a shot or prefer to engage friendly tanks while you try and angle him correctly for an enemy kill that is a 1. Going in on your own is a 6 or 7. Chances are, mathematically, (unless you find a good teammate who you always team up with,) you'll have the most fun if you go in alone. Sad but true at this point. And the only fix is getting rid of the noobs or turning them into teammates, but very few people would take the time to do that on a public server.

Upvote 0
I do alot better when i'm in a tank by myself(usually over 100pts) but i will not leave a teamate standed without a tank unless he has proven to be an idiot in the past.

If there is 3 tanks and 3 guys sitting at spawn it would be silly to have 3 guys in one tank and leave two tanks behind. If you start out with 3 guys in 3 tanks and stick together you can take out any single tank in a hurry and if you are about to get blown up then you could jump into a teamates tank and help out. That would allow you to continue an advance without having to catch up from spawn.

Maybe as more players get experienced enough it will change and teh advantage will be to have 2-3 in a tank but for now unless there is a tank shortage don't expect me to be happy about soem noob driving willy nilly around the map like the bots do.

It would actually be cool if they gave a way to lock other players out from enetering a tank or at least not let the bots in.

Upvote 0
There needs to be a fix to have no bots allowed in a human controlled vehicle.

Tanking with someone with half a brain is good fun. I've been driver far more than commander so far(besides soloing). My test when I'm driving to see if the person commanding is going to be irritating is whether they start randomly firing the MG when we first drive off. Way to let the enemy know we are coming, plus it's just plain stupid.

Also bad-when a commander makes the driver "Stop" before they are in hull down, face front, or at least defense worthy terrain.

Upvote 0
considering how if the crew members dont work together...the tank is next to useless...i know that at times i am much more effective alone than when i have someone drive for me because they never listen and my tank always gets blown up...usually i take a person on and see how they are first...if they want to work together after we get blown up i'll go solo...that way im more of a asset to the team

Upvote 0
usually only solo.. as already mentionated in 90% of cases when i'm not driving solo or with people that i know, i have a driver who thinks is Collin McRae or a gunner who tink it is playing ut2k4 OnSlaught.

Lazarus, your right, everibody is a begginer at some time, some evolve some remain like this. There is the Practice mode with one reason -> to LEARN, to get used wit the weapons/vehicles/maps aso.
If u feel confident with your RO tanker skillz then go online and at least at beggining listen to someone who maybe knows what is talking about.

Now, everyone (90%) is going on field and start shouting orders and get pissed (call all the players noobs) why nobody listen their orders even they have only some weeks/months of playing RO.

Upvote 0
no, it's not working .. because the 90% are the one who thisk i'm teh pwnor, no1 can teach meh, i wanna shoot the fking cannon.
you can see them when you want to go into the tank and he is changing the position from driver to gunner. he is not able to drive a tank but he want to be the pwner shooter.

the 8% are the newbs who want to listen and is a lot of fun/teamplay to drive with.
the 2%rest are the "old bitches" of ro :D

the game is new and it will need to wait from 2-4 months to see real teamplay on a pub

Upvote 0
-MM!!-Lazarus said:
To me it sounds like most of the solo tankers, even in this thread, have forgotten that everybody is a beginner at some time.

I am a beginner. I am an absolute n00b at this game. Never ever played tank games before. I own this game for a few days. But still it is enourmously irritating to play in a tank together with complete morons, who would neither listen nor give info / commands. Shoot the MG and cannon at random, drive at random when I tell them to stop for shooting and so on... So unless someone on the server really cares to play TOGETHER with me I usually go solo :(

Upvote 0
Now I better understand. I had a running with two of the 90% today.
The first one was a commander in my tank, I placed it hull down on arad and gave him a free line of sight all the way to the axis spawn. He did not fire a single shot just sat there insulting me...
#2 tried, but turned us into trouble all the time, and always turned my barrel away from the enemy....

Upvote 0
Perhaps a solution is to have a "Get in" command like in BF2. Seems to have been missed out (if I'm in wrong then I apologize profusely in advance).
In the absence of voice coms, that would at least let people know which drivers want to take on passengers.

Personally I prefer teamed up tanking but sometimes go lone wolf cos I feel im a bit crap and Ill get abuse if I make mistakes.

Upvote 0