• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Where are the players?!

SmashU said:
I have alos noticed that the in game server browser seems to have problems, I myself can no longer refresh it, and I have members in my clan that do not see it also. And I dont think xfire or ASE has it yet, these things all contribute to low player count as well as the fact that people are just now able to find it in stores.

http://www.redorchestragame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4440

there you go (the master server HAS been running slowly of late...)

Upvote 0
Okay, I'm in Canada. Best Buy and Future Shop were supposed to have it in their stores on March 22nd. They still do not have it in their stores after it closed on the 23rd. I only buy boxed games and I don't have a credit card so even if I was desperate I couldn't get it. Hopefully Best Buy will have it by the end of this weekend or I will be mad at Best Buy!

If the rest of Canada is suffering without a boxed version that could contribute to a good number of players not playing online yet.

While I have been waiting I've convinced 4 friends to buy the game. Word of mouth is definitely a good thing for ROOST. This delay in reaching stores in Canada is a piss off though!

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Is it going to HIT the stores? For $25, without any publicity, it'll land on the shelf among other B-games, somewhere between Nancy Drew and John Deere American Farmer...

You are right droog . For publicity and to create a buzz to the potential consumers of this game maybe a freefor all weekend would be the a good first step raising the awareness in the general gaming community.

I work for a software distribution company in scandinavia- the game is not yet availiable here .
But we plan to take a small qty of the game and promote it trough certain channels. I believe we can make good use of this game selling it to consumers of simulation games ( IL2 MS flight sim , Train sim ) rather then traditional game stores or mixed media stores.
Of course I will try to get it in werever possble Who nows , perhaps it will take of . Ironicly the low price tends to put people of , and as a distributor it is not that interesting to promote a game that you can download for 25 USD and not realy apeal to the masses.

Upvote 0
Most of all the good players are in the EU so are asleep, or have not got the game as it is still to be released here :mad:

Seriously though the server populations fluctuate over the week & I have found that most players are on around 8 to 11 GMT (3 to 6 EST).

Unsure as to the number of servers in the USA but there are alot in the EU

School kicking out times & work finishing times ae the normal peaks in player numbers as people go online to have a relaxing killing spree.

Upvote 0
Yep, it's pretty dissapointing that when I apply my server filter to weed out empty servers, I only get 30-40.

It's also dissapointing that my machine...

p4 2.4ghz
1 gig ram
6600gt

...can only get ~20fps on low-med settings. I'll cross my fingers that future patches will correct this issue, but right now the game is very, very buggy. Fortunately, I can look past the bugs and still see a very enjoyable game, and for that reason I continue to play and deal with the choppy framerates.

Another small gripe -- the death messages. I'm a new player to RO and I enjoy the realism A LOT. I especially enjoy how they made a game that is both realistic AND fun to play, but not having death messages turns me away. When I filter through the servers (and there's only ~30 playable ones...even less if you want to factor ping) I scan for DM_ALL. I think if you guys want to attract the new players, you should seriously think about little settings like this so you don't chase them away. I think that the veteran players should try to ease in the noobs like myself and try to help the community grow before we SHOCK the players.

Upvote 0
Hyperion2010 said:
Realize that one problem is that there has not yet been a review posted on a major gaming site. When that happens (it will even if I have to threaten to take russian AT dogs to their servers) then people will know what to look for.
The sad truth is that Ad $ = reviews and publicity. I'm not blaming Tripwire, but trade publications service the people that pay the big bucks (not fair but what is?).

Upvote 0
Please stop moaning about the "B-game shelf" stuff and do your part to rectify the situation.

You know how bands have a street teams that do guerilla advertising? Well, there's some things you can do.

For instance, it takes two seconds to grab the RO:O boxes and conveniently place them in a more prominent view (such as on top of the COD2 boxes - they make great RO:O pedestals :) ). Or have your local store order some copies. Or visit other forums and say that you got the game in X city in Y state.

The fact is, Tripwire doesn't have the marketing muscle to take on EA and other huge-ass production houses who can put up a cardboard standee featuring an Allied soldier holding 50 copies of the game on his chest. So, like an indie band who's looking to make it to the top, they're going to need some help from their fans.

Upvote 0
WickedPenguin said:
Please stop moaning about the "B-game shelf" stuff and do your part to rectify the situation.

You know how bands have a street teams that do guerilla advertising? Well, there's some things you can do.

For instance, it takes two seconds to grab the RO:O boxes and conveniently place them in a more prominent view (such as on top of the COD2 boxes - they make great RO:O pedestals :) ).

Or take it one step further and randomly place the game in shopping carts of unsuspecting shoppers.

Come on people...time rally!

Upvote 0
Droog said:
Check out BF2 forums,every now and then there's a thread like "how do I make my wife love BF2" and it stretches over 10 pages every time. BF2 community has many, many players over 25-30 yo.
Yes, BF2 community has many players above 25 yo. It also has like 100k players 12-18 yo. Face it RO is for hardcore realism fans, you woun't have 30k ppl playing it everynight. But i don't care ...QUALITY before QUANTITY :cool:

Upvote 0
Well both C3LL servers were busy much of the day yesterday...I had to go in and get them going myself tho, by adding dreaded bots! :)

One of our servers was showing a ping of na and no players in it later in the day, when it was actually populated, so thats a small problem, and could account for you seemingly seeing lots of empty servers.

Aside from that.

WE NEED SOME REVIEWS IN GAME MAGS!!!

I've already had a moan at the magazine I read (PC Zone) to give us a review next month.

Upvote 0
True but we also need to know when this game will be available in the stores in Europe.
Lots of people still do not like using a credit card online and many just like to have a box version rather than a download.
There is a huge amount of interest in Europe but unless someone makes somekind of official statment about a retail store release it will wain.

Most of the big PC mags still have nothing about the game and thats a dead shame.:(

Upvote 0
I tell what would be a great marketing move a DEMO!!!!!! Everyone I know from COD 2 has a wait and see attitude towards this game and a demo would really pump this games community. I know most of you think well i don't want those bunny-hopping kids playing RO:Ost. Well the demo would weed those punks out. I think this because I didn't want COD till I played the demo low so many years ago.

Upvote 0