• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Black edges in scopes

i like the idea of misaligning the ironsights of the normal ised weapons more of this post:
http://forum.resistanceandliberation.com/showpost.php?p=38118&postcount=41
I'd personally like it to be misaligned when you first pop your peapon into ironsights (by a bit) then align then shoot and realign. (wheter you align by pressing a hold breath button or whatever or just pressing a button and moving your gun). It would make shooting more of a skill than it is atm.

Upvote 0
Zetsumei said:
i like the idea of misaligning the ironsights of the normal ised weapons more of this post:
http://forum.resistanceandliberation.com/showpost.php?p=38118&postcount=41
I'd personally like it to be misaligned when you first pop your peapon into ironsights (by a bit) then align then shoot and realign. (wheter you align by pressing a hold breath button or whatever or just pressing a button and moving your gun). It would make shooting more of a skill than it is atm.

Yer I like these ideas. A month or 2 ago me and a friend were basically discussing that this is how the WW2 game we were playing should be, to make aiming more realistic. It would have to be play-tested and tweaked of course so its not too hard (or too easy), and so you could get used to it and eventually aim and shoot within a reasonable period of time.

Upvote 0
Mormegil said:
Got me thinking, this is probably just a Hollywood thing, but any idea how often one might see the glare from a scope, giving away the position of a sniper?

For one thing, it would have to be mostly sunny (can't be overcast), with the sun to behind the person looking / in front of the sniper. Since the lenses are convex, you would expect to see a bit of spread, so the angle required isn't as stringent as a flat piece of glass.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/0671682199/103-7249376-4667051?v=glance&n=283155

read that book lens glare saved Hathcock's life :)

Upvote 0
Wow these are really great ideas. I was trying to come up with how to make snipering harder, and I couldn't put my tongue on it. The lens distortion, the glare caused by lens, the scope alignment...these are all good suggestions. If you guys were to ever watch "Enemy at the gates" which is a movie devoted soley to Russian Snipers, it'll make alot more sense. They even have a scene where he's sniping a bunch of men eating, and it shows the view from the scope. They also catch him trying to snipe a commander while he's hidden by seeing a little glare in the pile of bodies. It's a good reference to snipering that's for sure.

How about this...using the mouse wheel to bring one's head up to the scope to adjust for "eye relief" as the mentioned before. You can bring your head out or in by rollling the mouse wheel until clear.

Upvote 0
I played the demo "Lost Coast" for Half life 2 which shows off some new features. One that I noticed was that when you move your gun, your gun isn't exactly aligned, it kinda moves in a fluid motion. The gun moves faster than your eyes, but eventually it'll line up again. I thought this was incredibly realistic, and if this is implemented in the future with guns in RO, maybe the "black edges" that the first post was talking about can be used for sniper guns too when moving it around quickly.

Upvote 0
It is so refreshing to come to this forum from the general gaming world of FPS players in games like MOH, COD UO, COD 2 and BF 2 - you guys are realism obsessed and it's GREAT! A tad anal perhaps but cool. You mean you don't think aiming a scoped rifle when you can scarcely see the enemy is already hard enough? Wow, as my clan's premier sniper I must say you amaze me. The only time sniping is easy is in games where the natural motion introduced by breathing and body motion isn't simulated. COD 2with the breathold feature is the most realistic FPS I have sniped in but the scope picture is too good. Red orchestra is far closer to the reality and you wanna make it harder STILL? Fascinating.

In a few years time our avatars will have motion captured movement, our own faces and lip synced mouths to our live speech on comms so I guess . . . .

Upvote 0
Well sniping wasn't exactly the easiest things to do, it was more of a job where one had to have very very good cover and some decent camo jobs in order to find a good hiding spot and snipe accurately. A sniper generally is a camping type because it's probably so difficult to use in real life. I dont know...I'm merely trying to play devi's advocate. I've never shot a sniper rifle in my life.

Upvote 0
God I just played sniper for the first time today, and one thing I've noticed is that when you bolt up your rifle, it still has the image of the dead person on the scope while you are reloading/bolting. Then when you look back on it, the image reverts back to real-time. Does anybody just find this plain weird? I know the scope isnt perfect, but this is just kinda...dumb.

Also, I have a suggestion for pistols...when they go into ironsights, they would hold it with both hands as they do in shooting ranges (one hand at the bottom)? Or at least make the ironsights pistol view a little more realistic looking instead of having him look like he's bending his wrist all awkward to make the gun centered.

Upvote 0