• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Performance problems: Look here.

Novusordo

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 16, 2006
If you have a good system but are still getting lag and frame rate issues no matter how low you turn the quality settings down, it's not becuase your PC is not powerful enough, it's becuase it's not set up properly.

First things frst, download these programs from www.majorgeeks.com

cacheman
crap cleaner
reg supreme
spybot S&D
hijack this
diskeeper - for a proper defrag

install and configure those programs to get the most out of them. Run them often.

Open cacheman and go through each wizard, reboot PC and already your PC will be running as it should and already your games will be smooth without a hitch.

Now uninstall all programs you no longer use then reboot. Now clean up your desktop. Your desktop should be a temporary locations for files and not a place to permantly store files and icons. Thats for your startmenu and task bar. Leave your desktop with only the recycle bin icon.

Now go my computer start - run and type msconfig & hit enter. Go to the startup tab and untick absolutely every one of them.

Now go my computer - control panel - admin tools - services. Disable all uneeded services. At most you should have no more than 15 of them running for optimal operation of your PC. Anymore than that is not needed.

Now get some order in to your PC. Store your media files and such in your my documents folder and structure and name everything orderly.

The more organized your files and folders are the easier it is to work on your PC and to find stuff and the less fragmentation happens.

Go in to your graphics cards control panel and max out AA and AF if you can afford it. If not, disable them. Set frames ahead to 3 if you can afford it. Put image quality to max to see the benifits of AA and AF optimizations.

Now go my computer - control panel - system - hardware tab - hardware manager button.

Now go to your ATA controller device and make sure write cachine is enabled and also read caching if its avilable. Also make sure your running your IDE system at its highest possible speed by selecting UDMA 6 if your IDE cable/harddrive supports it.

Now go in to your BIOS and disable anything you dont use. Do you use a soundcard? Disable the onboard one then. Dont use the serial port? Disable it then.

I could go on and on but this is just what will get your PC running as it should. For further help there are millions of guides out there full of advanced information.

Also get rid of any anti virus and firewall bull**** you have running. The need for these things is totally overrated.

As long as you are carefull on the net and run spyware checks and keep your PC clean often, you will not get a virus, ditto.

No? Well how come i've never, ever EVER had ANY active anti virus or frirewall software running on my PC and have never had a virus unless I was stupid enough to open a dogy .exe or an email attachment?

Like I said, its overrated.

One thing though, I don't think that the point about removing virus scanners and soft firewalls is good for those who are not very internet-experienced. Removing passive virus scanning requires from the user good awareness of the state of your computer and actively running virus searches and other stuff.

Other than that, absolutely great overall computer performance guide. :)

Upvote 0
FuSiOn said:
also if u use a router most of them have built in firewalls anyway
So I may have what might be a dumb question. I like to turn this off when I'm gaming. My MS security center says virus is on and detects McAfee, and the firewall says it's on but doesn't say it's from my router, so my question is this. Is there a firewall in windows seperate from the one built into my router and can I shut them off when gaming?

Upvote 0