• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

F.A.O. Twipwire Gurus or Steam Ltd

demonear

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 20, 2006
How do i get this game to run? Is it even possible? I paid for it well in advance and have so far supported the whole Steam download bollocks. I've waited about a week now and i'm pissed right off. I've even tried switching off Zone Alarm and it still causes a reboot & serious system failure every time i try to run the game. No other game has ever gave me such hassle. I run an updated pc with latest drivers. No real proper announcement through Steam Update/News or acknowledgement from either Valve nor the developers hasn't exactly helped my patience any. They're quick enough to take your money and let you know if there's a problem with your 'details' I'll be persuing a refund from my credit card company if i don't get some answers or results - soon style.
I hear they're away celebrating the games release and enjoying a well earned break abroad somewhere now! Just a wee bit premature with the champagne no? I'm buying my games 100% of the shelves again after this off putting glimpse of the future i don't need to see any more. And i'm sick of the way Valve thinks it's ok to hog system resources of my continually slowing down pc. Who do these guys think they are? Now EA are at it with their Downloader for Battlefield 2. At least you can stop that one from logging in when you boot up. As soon as the PS3's also up and running alongside 360 and you can play things like Unreal Tournament 2007 with no hassles, honestly who's gonna still be arsed with the hassle of worrying if their PC came even launch their game without getting a haemoorrage?
The future's shite for PC gaming unless you've got the patience of a saint, are obsessed with mods, have too much money/time (rare combination) or have a job in IT and like to have the piss ripped out of you every time you spend hard earned cash on a bloody game.

demonear said:
How do i get this game to run? Is it even possible? I paid for it well in advance and have so far supported the whole Steam download bollocks. I've waited about a week now and i'm pissed right off. I've even tried switching off Zone Alarm and it still causes a reboot & serious system failure every time i try to run the game. No other game has ever gave me such hassle. I run an updated pc with latest drivers. No real proper announcement through Steam Update/News or acknowledgement from either Valve nor the developers hasn't exactly helped my patience any. They're quick enough to take your money and let you know if there's a problem with your 'details' I'll be persuing a refund from my credit card company if i don't get some answers or results - soon style.
I hear they're away celebrating the games release and enjoying a well earned break abroad somewhere now! Just a wee bit premature with the champagne no? I'm buying my games 100% of the shelves again after this off putting glimpse of the future i don't need to see any more. And i'm sick of the way Valve thinks it's ok to hog system resources of my continually slowing down pc. Who do these guys think they are? Now EA are at it with their Downloader for Battlefield 2. At least you can stop that one from logging in when you boot up. As soon as the PS3's also up and running alongside 360 and you can play things like Unreal Tournament 2007 with no hassles, honestly who's gonna still be arsed with the hassle of worrying if their PC came even launch their game without getting a haemoorrage?
The future's shite for PC gaming unless you've got the patience of a saint, are obsessed with mods, have too much money/time (rare combination) or have a job in IT and like to have the piss ripped out of you every time you spend hard earned cash on a bloody game.

How about spacing some lines when writing long whine.

Turning off ZA won't help, you need to uninstall it.

Upvote 0
No guys, the customer has done his job when he payed the money. He is not obliged to uninstall anything or make configuration changes. I have purchased RO, assuming that it would run if my pc fulfills the system requirements given on the vendors (steam) website. Well, and my system is more than ready for RO, but the game itself isn't ready at all. And therefore I am not willing to make any experiments to get RO running. :mad:

I am absolutely aware that it's almost impossible to develop a bigger piece of software without bugs. And I am sure that Tripwire will do anything they can to help us. Otherwise their reputation will go down the drains very soon. Thats why I am still relativly patient, waiting for a fix.

What I still don't understand is, that nobody regards it as necessary to inform potential RO customers on that steam website that they might run into trouble if they have AOL as ISP or running a ZA firewall (for example). It would be only fair to give them a chance to avoid this sucking trouble before they buy the game.

Upvote 0
why is this such a 1 way street.. i wonder if anyone who is having ZA problems have even bothered to tell the developers of ZA that their software is incompatible with RO..

lets face it, software incompatability is a 2 way street (both of them are incompatible with each other, not 1 or the other)...

Putzer said:
What I still don't understand is, that nobody regards it as necessary to inform potential RO customers on that steam website that they might run into trouble if they have AOL as ISP or running a ZA firewall (for example). It would be only fair to give them a chance to avoid this sucking trouble before they buy the game.

its call being a smart consumer, what research did you do before purchasing the software? (which is really a license to run the software, not the software itself)

if you would have done any research (meaning you don't buy it until 7-14 days after its release, read all review, support, and forums).. you would have easily been able research and come to the conclusion there is a ZA/AOL problem.

whenever i am going to buy a game i am unsure of, the first thing i do is jump in the support forums or knowledgebase.. its those places that problems manifest themselves the easiest..

you cannot do impulse buying (buying on opening day) and then complain that they didn't tell you.. when it comes to your money you should be more careful with what you buy if this type of stuff is very stressful to you.

this isn't to justify that RO has issues with ZA, but there is only 1 person responsible when it comes to your money.. and that is you. being an resonsible and informed consumer can go a long ways to avoiding any issues you'll have with a purchase.

Upvote 0
Putzer said:
Nice idea. But my system isn't messed up - at least it wasn't messed up before I installed RO. And ask yourself who is the n00b here: the one who keeps his running system secure and running or the one who sacrifices security by playing around with firewalls ... :rolleyes:

lol, i'm happily running RO through my hardwall, just as secure (probably more) then your softwall. (btw i despise softwalls just for these issues you are having)..

it is 100% your choice now that you can't run RO..

life has tough choices, make the one you want and be done with it..

until they patch RO for ZA you have 2 choices..

uninstall ZA and play RO, or don't run RO and stare at your desktop (or play another game that is compatible with RO)..

anyone outside of that is just whining and complaining..

Upvote 0
Putzer said:
No guys, the customer has done his job when he payed the money. He is not obliged to uninstall anything or make configuration changes. I have purchased RO, assuming that it would run if my pc fulfills the system requirements given on the vendors (steam) website. Well, and my system is more than ready for RO, but the game itself isn't ready at all. And therefore I am not willing to make any experiments to get RO running. :mad:

I am absolutely aware that it's almost impossible to develop a bigger piece of software without bugs. And I am sure that Tripwire will do anything they can to help us. Otherwise their reputation will go down the drains very soon. Thats why I am still relativly patient, waiting for a fix.

Certain articles in the Steam support section note that ZoneAlarm causes nothing but problems.

My guess? You didn't even bother looking.

Upvote 0
Lucid003 said:
Certain articles in the Steam support section note that ZoneAlarm causes nothing but problems.My guess? You didn't even bother looking.
Well, I have other Steam games (HL2, CSS) running without any problems. It's a little bit strange that ZA causes only trouble with RO. No other application or game on my pc is affected. And I am running ZA for years now.

But your guess is right. I did not look into the RO forum before I purchased this game. Seems to be that I was quite naive, cause I expected a working game for my money. Ok, I was wrong and I promise, I won't make this mistake again, even better, I won't buy any more Steam software at all. They got my money in advance and I got nothing in return but trouble.

I understand that many people here have played the RO mod or the beta :)confused:) for a long time and that they love this game. But they also argue like "loving" beta players and tend to defend Tripwire even when there is no reason to do so. I fulfilled my part of the deal and paid for a working full prize version, not for the buggy beta version I received.

But as I mentioned before, I was quite naive to trust in Valve, Steam or Tripwire - and I have learned my lession ...:mad:

Upvote 0
omfg....lol

omfg....lol

Wow this is fun reading all this BS read the fine print crap you should have done this you should have done that wtf are you talking about!!!

I bought a game that dont work and were bitchy whinners, kiss my ass!!!! Use a firewall thats outdated...great idea while im at it i better go buy an 8-track player cuz my dvd drive is broke!!!! Yeah thats a great idea who's with me????

When i buy something i expect it to work if i got the right CPU spec's Hmmmmm lets see 2 gigs of ram,amd fx processor,two 6800 gs's for SLI,and more fans you can shake a stick at this CPU runs everything i throw at it full bore and RO wont do anything but crash...no other game does this but its my crappy CPU ...your a nub quit posting you have no clue what you are saying

And ill spend my money on whatever i want to spend it on and after i buy whatever i have bought i expect it to work..or is that wrong of me...wait no im just bitching and whinning

Also i WILL get my refund if this isnt cleared up, fine print dont apply to DOD(dead on delivery)and thats what i got a product that dont work im not gonna listen to the its your CPU crap or you cant run THIS______firewall it was in the fine print ill wipe my ass with the fine print ripoff BS!!!

The fix is not simple if you cant start your comp. run the game and play it im not getting paid to sit here an piss with something that should work!!!So im not going to do anything but wait for TRIPWIRE or ZONE to get a patch to fix this they should be working together by now to get it working and if they dont REFUND TIME!!!:)

Upvote 0
H-street said:
lol, i'm happily running RO through my hardwall, just as secure (probably more) then your softwall. (btw i despise softwalls just for these issues you are having)..

it is 100% your choice now that you can't run RO..

life has tough choices, make the one you want and be done with it..

until they patch RO for ZA you have 2 choices..

uninstall ZA and play RO, or don't run RO and stare at your desktop (or play another game that is compatible with RO)..

anyone outside of that is just whining and complaining..

Great community building exercise, H-street.

Upvote 0
Wow, it is funny how Zone Alarm users defend it like it is their right arm!

Obviously, there is a conflict, and it appears that since they already had it installed first on their computer, they think it must be the new software....do you really think that just because it was there first, it isn't causing the problems? Seems to me it is the Zone Alarm firewall that is causing the problem, and I have heard they are working on a fix. Other people in here have some work-arounds. Other people uninstall it and use something else, another firewall, windows firewall, or whatever...

Funny how I keep seeing new threads on Zone Alarm, as if (some/most) of the people with the problem don't even bother looking to see if someone else posted.

So, try some of those solutions. If they don't work, look in every so often to see if a new one is found. Every so often, check with the makers of Zone Alarm, eventually they will come out with an update or a work around. In the meantime, don't obsess about it.

And again, just because Zone Alarm was there first, doesn't mean it wasn't the problem. Did you ever wonder why software makers constantly (usually) are updating their software? Because with new software constantly coming out there running side by side with theirs, they end up finding new problems with their own!!!!!

Upvote 0
On a side note to this, it isn't very fair as Mr Moe stated that Zone Alarm users accuse RO players of defending TW and giving them the cold shoulder, when all they are doing is praising Zone Alarm and telling everyone RO is the root of all things evil on their systems. This arguing and threatening of refunds won't solve anything any faster than Tripwire is capable of researching and solving. You were patient enough for the game to download, can't you be patient enough for the devs to solve the problem?

Upvote 0