• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

A couple of concerns: Former beta testers feel free to chime in

Gabriel6

Mar 15, 2006
I'm liking this game despite the problems it gave me on day one; I feel sorry for anyone having problems that have limited knowledge/experience with tweaking. Nonetheless, despite the fun I'm having, there are a few glaring faults that I think should not have escaped a beta test. Perhaps former beta testers can shed light. Please excuse my poor writing--thanks.

1. The blurry graphics with HDR Bloom enabled. Did anyone in beta have less than a 3 day old ATI 1900xt and test the different visual effects with bloom on or off or d3d versus dx9.0? If it was a known defect on less than state-of-the-art cards why is it (by default) turned on?

2. VOIP and HW3d+eax. This does not work at all. Surely someone tried the different settings to see what did or did not work.....if this not working is listed in the readme and I missed it then disregard.

3. Doppler sound effects and/or positional sound: Do I really need to hear an insult from a guy 2km away? If a person is behind me then why I am hearing their voices all around? Maybe this is a programming limitation....or is it possible to make all sound distance and position affected? A tank 200meter to my s/w should sound like a tank 200m to my s/w and not the same no matter the distance or position. Voices too, the canned responses are heard at the same volume despite distance or position relation. If a tank is nearly on top of me or I am inside it, shouldnt that be loud? Right now it seems off and needs work.

4. Weapon speed and artillery. I know I can raise a gun to aim much faster than the game allows--seems slow. Artillery was a powerful factor in WW2, and that is re-created in spades on maps where there is directional artillery. This aspect seems overdone and could use a tune for gameplay. Were either of these considered--in depth--during beta?

Despite the minor problems with RO: Ostfront, the game has risen to the top of my "to play" list. I enjoy it despite the minor flaws.

I fully agree with everything you said.
You pretty much nailed all of my complaints with the game.

Hopefully a dev can answer whether some or all of these issues will be addressed?
Or if they already have in another thread, maybe some one can point us toward that?

Other than those problems, the game is fantastic.
The sound problems are my biggest gripe right now, as far as glitches go. Both the VOIP and doppler problems.

The artillery on certain maps could definitely stand to be toned down. As it is right now on a few of the maps it can be used infinitely with no delay between strikes (or a delay of about 10 seconds, actually...).

Upvote 0
Gabriel6 said:
I'm liking this game despite the problems it gave me on day one; I feel sorry for anyone having problems that have limited knowledge/experience with tweaking. Nonetheless, despite the fun I'm having, there are a few glaring faults that I think should not have escaped a beta test. Perhaps former beta testers can shed light. Please excuse my poor writing--thanks.

1. The blurry graphics with HDR Bloom enabled. Did anyone in beta have less than a 3 day old ATI 1900xt and test the different visual effects with bloom on or off or d3d versus dx9.0? If it was a known defect on less than state-of-the-art cards why is it (by default) turned on?

2. VOIP and HW3d+eax. This does not work at all. Surely someone tried the different settings to see what did or did not work.....if this not working is listed in the readme and I missed it then disregard.

3. Doppler sound effects and/or positional sound: Do I really need to hear an insult from a guy 2km away? If a person is behind me then why I am hearing their voices all around? Maybe this is a programming limitation....or is it possible to make all sound distance and position affected? A tank 200meter to my s/w should sound like a tank 200m to my s/w and not the same no matter the distance or position. Voices too, the canned responses are heard at the same volume despite distance or position relation. If a tank is nearly on top of me or I am inside it, shouldnt that be loud? Right now it seems off and needs work.

4. Weapon speed and artillery. I know I can raise a gun to aim much faster than the game allows--seems slow. Artillery was a powerful factor in WW2, and that is re-created in spades on maps where there is directional artillery. This aspect seems overdone and could use a tune for gameplay. Were either of these considered--in depth--during beta?

Despite the minor problems with RO: Ostfront, the game has risen to the top of my "to play" list. I enjoy it despite the minor flaws.

1: Plenty of people testing were using less than powerful GFX cards, i know at least several who were using Geforce 4's and Radeon 9600's - both without any trouble at all. Blur looks fine if you have a rig powerful enough to handle it at high resolutions with AA and AF raised...do the screenshots on the RO page look blurry? They were all taken in-game with no alterations...personally i turn blur off and prefer copious amounts of AA and AF.

2: VOIP and EAX is a long annoying problem that is not purely the fault of RO, different people with the exact same card get completely different successes or failures when trying to use this.

3: Never had any problems like this, if anyone had anything like you describe during testing it would have been mentioned. I use EAX without trouble and the positional/locational audio works perfectly. As for the tank volume etc...thats an engine limitation, nothing much (yet anyway) can be done about that - but if more people get the problems you describe it would definitely be looked into.

4: This is not a "bug" or fault, it is a change based on your opinion :D As for considering a change to it, thats not the job of a beta tester...we test and report.

And never forget, just because a bug made it into the game, it doesnt mean it was missed or wasnt found. 90% of the bugs people wonder "OMG how did that slip past testing" in fact didnt and are reported ready for fixing. There simply isnt time for the Devs to fix everything in one go...even though we nag the hell out of them about it as well :D

Upvote 0
There is some bug with the local and team channels. that wasn't there in the beta. Sometimes when you submit on local it actually sends it to team. Same thing with the voice commands.

eax or hardware3d sound has been crap with voice comms since the first release of ut2k4 or so =\. Just a bug in the engine.

Alot of people had blurryness in the beta. Heck the first thing i did after 5 mins of playing it was turn HDR off. But the question is, is the blurryness a bug?.

The engine doesn't support lowering volume on distances i believe. just a limitation, they might add it later on.

Upvote 0
I understand your concern however many problems that the beta testers had and reported on probably were disregarded for the time being because they were minor. As much as we would like, reporting a problem doesnt instantly fix it. The devs have to spend countless hours finding the source of the problem and then finding a way to fix it.

On point 1: This was the only problem I consider major that made its way into the retail. The beta testers were sure of this problem believe me. All of us w/ ATI cards experienced it. Bloom should have been forced to default. I can only imagine how many inexperience pc gamers are scratching their heads at the blurry monitor.

As for the other points Ill just say I agree w/ all except bringing the sights up. Id be interested to try it faster but I dont see any problem w/ it as is. If it were any faster it would be as if the gun was a foot away and ready to be pulled up to the face instantly. Thats not always the case.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I've had no problem using VOIP with HW 3D + EAX during all the years of testing the mod and now retail. We tested and tested and there are no direct connections that would give us a definitive cause. I can talk and hear people just fine with that option enable using my old Audigy 2 card and now my new X-FI card.

You can try to deselect the system driver to see if that works as it helped during testing of the mod but not sure about retail.

Upvote 0