• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

For those that said the graphics in ROOST we're bad..

EvilHobo said:
I do not believe so, no. Just check to see if your drivers support OpenGL 2.0. For instance, my Nvidia drivers offer support for both OpenGL 2.0 and DirectX9. I'm certain that ATI supports it as well.

EDIT: Why don't the devs add OpenGL to the selectable render devices?
Because Ramm would have to pay someone money to code blurr and bloom and etc in openGL. Plus make the menus work in it.

it seems quite obvious that openGL renders things better than directx from seeing these screenshots.. everything is so much sharper when i'm using max settings 1600x1200, 4xAA, 4x AF, no bloom.

Upvote 0
My game just crashes when I open it with OpenGL.

Code:
 Build RedOrchestra_Build_[2005-11-27_10.48]

CPU: AuthenticAMD Unknown processor @ 2015 MHz with 511MB RAM
Video: No Video

Assertion failed: nPixelFormat [File:.\OpenGLRenderDevice.cpp] [Line: 571]

History: UOpenGLRenderDevice::SetRes <- UWindowsViewport::TryRenderDevice <- UWindowsViewport::OpenWindow <- UGameEngine::Init <- InitEngine <- FMallocWindows::Free <- FMallocWindows::Free

Update: It BSOD'ed on me..

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Stryker said:
If Tripwire could fix the screen menus it would better, but alas i had an increase in lagg. P4 3.0ghz, 1.512gb ram, GeForce 6800GT, before i ran max settings and had no problems. They should definitely add this into the next patch, or mod it using the menus from the fixed version.

Do you mean the OpenGL menus?

Im not sure if the OpenGL in officially supported in this game.

Upvote 0
Sticky this :p, for those who want to choose between OpenGL or D3D, or the devs may plan to add this as an option in-game?
All in the forum tweak guide, I think... And in other posts it was said that open GL is not and will not be supported ( some specific technical issues IIRC- zoomed scopes being something that springs to mind)
Don't think menus would have been a problem- but as it's not supported why spend time sorting them out.

Upvote 0
Bumping an old topic here, but the performance improvement in using OpenGL instead of DX9 or D3D is ridiculously amazing. Check this, i have an FX5500 and had to use low/medium with D3D and i still got alot of stuttering and low framerates - the game would also lock up from time to time. I then switched to OpenGL and got at least a 60% boost in framerates and all my stuttering has gone, and check this - i could set everything to high and it ran just as good. Even on intensive maps.

I don't know what's going on, but the white screens are VERY minor considering the performance boost i got out of this. Thanks to that guy who posted how to switch to OpenGl, you're a ****ing legend!

If only BF2 could be run in open GL! Can it? What other games can? This is amazing, i hope it's there for other games!

Upvote 0
Exactly why will you (TWI) not fix the white menus? What is keeping you from fixing such a seemingly easy fix? "OpenGL is not supported" is not an excuse, since it was originally was a driver you could select. It looks like you just removed it from the game itself, and now claim it's unusable. If it's something far more techincal than that, I apologize.

Upvote 0
For me, DX graphix looks better than OpenGL + there are some features that doesn't work on OpenGL (blurr). (both DX9 and GL @ 4xAA and 16xAF, ATI 1950pro, 1280x1024 @ full @ 85fps)

If you get better performance in OGL it can be that you have another(lower, app controlled) AA and AF settings for OGL than DX. Theoretically the perf. should be almot the same for the same settings.

Upvote 0
So basically in this thread, everyone saying their graphics got better is everyone who have always run with HDR Bloom on. I don't, and I see absolutely no difference between OGL and DX9.
EDIT: Here are some screenshots, both using the exact same settings, apart from that the first is OpenGL, and the second is Direct X.
They are linked due to being 1440x900
http://gunrun.banpunchstudios.com/files/OpenGLRO.jpg This is the OpenGL screenshot
http://gunrun.banpunchstudios.com/files/DX9RO.jpg This is the DX9 Screenshot.
Both use the same ini settings. The only difference is that in DX9 you get proper lighting on the gun. In other words if you are stood in a dark place your gun is dark etc. Apart from that nothing is affected.
For a setting that WILL actually make your graphics a lot sharper, go into your ini file, and find the [D3D9Drv.D3D9RenderDevice] or whatever render device you are using, but if you have any sense it will be that one. Anyway, find that, and then look for the line UseTrilinear= and set that to True, then find the tag LevelOfAnisotropy=1 and change it to 4, 8, or 16. Neither of these should have spaces between the = and the value. This will result in less texture detail drop off, and when there is drop off it will be smoother.
This is the same shot as before, but with those settings set to their default values
http://gunrun.banpunchstudios.com/files/NofilteringRO.jpg
This is them with my values in place (I use 8, but 16 will result with even better textures, but more FPS loss)
http://gunrun.banpunchstudios.com/files/DX9RO.jpg
Please note the sharpness of the end buildings textures, and the pavement in front, and basically every texture that is past (and including) the tank.

EDIT: Straight from TWI's mouth -
(+Gunrun) Yoshiro Does openGL look any better or worse than DX9?
(+Gunrun) there is a topic in support claiming so, but I see no difference
(@Yoshiro) ...but if you mean in terms of RO
(@Yoshiro) it looks worse cause we don't have any shaders or functions
(@Yoshiro) the open GL is RO is the same as Direct X 8.1

Last edited:
Upvote 0