• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

VOIP breaks up constantly

flyinj

FNG / Fresh Meat
Mar 16, 2006
I have a very fast internet connection (4Mb/s). On all servers I'm on, even low-ping (30 or less), the voice over IP stuff barely works. Sometimes it'll just show someone talking and nothing will come through, sometimes I can hear half of what someone said, and usually it just stutters off and on.

I ask in text chat if anyone is having the same problems, and everyone who responds says they can hear people fine.

I went into my options and set internet connection and voice connection to best quality as well.

Anyone else having this problem?

(As a sidenote, all other in-game VOIP stuff works great on this system. BF2, D&D Online, etc).

flyinj said:
I have a very fast internet connection (4Mb/s). On all servers I'm on, even low-ping (30 or less), the voice over IP stuff barely works. Sometimes it'll just show someone talking and nothing will come through, sometimes I can hear half of what someone said, and usually it just stutters off and on.

I ask in text chat if anyone is having the same problems, and everyone who responds says they can hear people fine.

I went into my options and set internet connection and voice connection to best quality as well.

Anyone else having this problem?

(As a sidenote, all other in-game VOIP stuff works great on this system. BF2, D&D Online, etc).
I have this problem too. i have found that setting the audio quality to "3D audio" with no hardware support helps a little. Also uncheck the "use sytem driver" box has helped a little but i still have the problem. I'm using an audigy 1 soundcard with the openAL beta release drivers. I tried the latest creative drivers and they made my comp stall a lot so i had to go back to the beta release. I have no other sound issues otherwise though and i work with audio editing and manipulation on an almost daily basis, plus gaming almost evey day. RO is the first game to prosuce this problem.

I'm considering installing the latest drivers for the soundcard despite the problems they cause just too see if they fix this particular problem so that i can figure out if the problem is a bug in the game or with my hardware. Will post back when and if i do it.

flyinj what soundcard are you using? and if you are using an audgiy, which driver set do you use?

Upvote 0
flyinj said:
I have an Audigy2 with the latest released drivers. I'll try turning off hardware sound..
have you tried to adjust your audio volume from the game menu. and tried the game default audio, oviously with your connection it is not a band-width prob. i have an eax but find the default audio works just fine. ive got a 8mb/ps download not that it matters

Last edited:
Upvote 0
[CoFR]BooBoo said:
Isn't the in-game VOIP distance limited? In other words, if someone is too far away you can't hear them?

yes it is depending on which channel you are on 1, general talk (everyone). 2, team talk and 3, local talk (in tank or people close to you can only hear) cant remember what buttons you will need to check in your controls.

Upvote 0
Ok, I tried all three settings - HW 3D w/EAX, HW 3D, and just 3D sound.

On either of the two HW settings, my VOIP either doesn't work at all or is choppy. On just 3D sound, it works fine.

The problem is, normal 3D sound doesn't use my rear channels on my 4.1 setup. So, I have to decide whether or not I want to know if something is happening behind me, or hear important voice alerts.

Tough decision. I really hope they realize this is a bug and fix it.

(Audigy 2 w/ latest SB drivers)

Upvote 0
Creative based cards were always a problem on VOIP in games.

I have a Audigy 2 ZS and I only can use the VOIP function when I'm not using a other programm like Teamspeak at the same time.

A buddy of mine has a none Creative based card and can run both with good transmit quality.

Don't blame the UT engine it's related to the crappy Creative drivers.

If you wanna complain, do it at the creative site in the support section.

Upvote 0
step2ice said:
Creative based cards were always a problem on VOIP in games.

I have a Audigy 2 ZS and I only can use the VOIP function when I'm not using a other programm like Teamspeak at the same time.

A buddy of mine has a none Creative based card and can run both with good transmit quality.

Don't blame the UT engine it's related to the crappy Creative drivers.

If you wanna complain, do it at the creative site in the support section.

Sorry but that's not right. Ive used creative cards since Alien vs Predator and i never had this problem. I've used teamspeak or ventrillo plus the ingame voip at the same time in countless games and never had this problem. I'm pretty sure this problem is RO specific. Let's just hope that it gets fixed in the future because i really don't like to use software sound as it slows my fps down. :(

Upvote 0
Doc.Matthews said:
Sorry but that's not right. Ive used creative cards since Alien vs Predator and i never had this problem. I've used teamspeak or ventrillo plus the ingame voip at the same time in countless games and never had this problem. I'm pretty sure this problem is RO specific. Let's just hope that it gets fixed in the future because i really don't like to use software sound as it slows my fps down. :(

Yes, sir it is.
Maybe not on your machine.
Two buddies of mine have a Creative card. One has a SB Live Value and the other one a Audigy 2 ZS like me.
We weren't able to use ingame voice and TS at the same time in HL1, CSS and DOD:S.
Try search the Valve forums and you get pointed to the Creative drivers.

There was also a topic related to this problem regarding RO (not ROO).
Someone had found a solution for it by using a other wrapper from the Creative site. And for some ppl. this helped.

Upvote 0
Same issue here. X-Fi with latest drivers. I did disable EAX and it seemed to help some, but still can't hear most of the time.

This WAS an issue in UT if I remember correctly, atleast if you had EAX enabled. So I don't think it's something the dev team can fix?

And step2ice, I have never had issues using a 3rd party chat program at the same time as in-game voice (I've had an Audigy 2 as well as an X-Fi). On top of that, it has no relevance to the issue here. So whining to creative about borked voice chat would accomplish nothing, because it's strictly a problem in UT based games (possibily just RO?).

Upvote 0
I too have an X-Fi and have voice chat problems with EAX enabled. I turned off EAX and enabled "3D Audio" and voice chat appears to work much better. But, I think the general game sound quality isn't as good when using this option. The developers have acknowledged the problem, but since it is the Unreal engine, who knows if they can/will address the problem. I guess time will tell.

It depends on the server, but sometimes the voice chat is useful, while other times it is completely useless with people jabbering on about nothing.

-S

Upvote 0
flyinj said:
Ok, I tried all three settings - HW 3D w/EAX, HW 3D, and just 3D sound.

On either of the two HW settings, my VOIP either doesn't work at all or is choppy. On just 3D sound, it works fine.

The problem is, normal 3D sound doesn't use my rear channels on my 4.1 setup. So, I have to decide whether or not I want to know if something is happening behind me, or hear important voice alerts.

Tough decision. I really hope they realize this is a bug and fix it.

(Audigy 2 w/ latest SB drivers)

I believe its an engine limitation of some sort, this problem has been in ut2k4 since its first release.

Upvote 0
step2ice said:
Yes, sir it is.
Maybe not on your machine.
Two buddies of mine have a Creative card. One has a SB Live Value and the other one a Audigy 2 ZS like me.
We weren't able to use ingame voice and TS at the same time in HL1, CSS and DOD:S.
Try search the Valve forums and you get pointed to the Creative drivers.

There was also a topic related to this problem regarding RO (not ROO).
Someone had found a solution for it by using a other wrapper from the Creative site. And for some ppl. this helped.

step2ice, you're wrong. look around you, there's 20 people here who don't have problems with any other game/program and you say your "friends" said so? dude look, your friends don't exist, don't ****ing lie to us, get the hell out of here, why even resond with that tired old "omg ur pc is teh suxorz" noob bull****? get the hell out and stop trying to come between the bug fixing process.

Upvote 0
Just an update, I switched from H/W 3D Audio to just 3D Audio and voice chat is flawless now.

Am I crazy though or am I now not getting any hardware acceleration? It seems like my FPS have dropped dramatically since switching to purely 3D Audio (but I'm also not sure if Adaptive anti-aliasing was enabled prior or not). Is it now dependant upon the CPU to "render" the audio and then send it to the sound card? If so that's pretty weak, if not then it must just be a placebo effect.

Upvote 0
Doc.Matthews said:
step2ice, you're wrong. look around you, there's 20 people here who don't have problems with any other game/program and you say your "friends" said so? dude look, your friends don't exist, don't ****ing lie to us, get the hell out of here, why even resond with that tired old "omg ur pc is teh suxorz" noob bull****? get the hell out and stop trying to come between the bug fixing process.

amen.. oh yeah for the record step.. your full of it my friend

ive had this audigy 2 for years never had a single problem with any voip

its a problem with ro plain and simple

Upvote 0