• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics Do real world tatics actually work in the game?

yea, sometimes yes sometimes no

depends on the tactic really

it IS very hard to retain any cohesion I find, because as soon as someone gets picked off you either wait for him to run back to you... or go on ahead.

I would really like to see better ingame options for squads and such... I would expect the RO team would be allover squad/team building like a fat kid on a cookie.

Ideally:

1. Easy creation of seperate voice channels for the squad, passwording etc INGAME.

2. Some sort of identification system inplace for squads, maybe something as simple as colored ARMBANDS on the soliders? Green squad, orange squad.... I know that sounds kind of cheesy at first but consider it at least.

3. To go along with all that, stats tracking that includes squads... showing how often the squad members were within a certain radius of each other... and tracking the squad as a WHOLE. Great for clan matches.

Upvote 0
I wonder how hard it would be to make a mutator that changes spawning so you always spawn in a fire team. In other words instead of waiting 15 seconds and just having everyone who died spawn, instead, wait until there are five (or whatever is the ideal fire squad size) people are dead and then spawn those five together. In addition, instead of having limits on classes for the whole team, you would have limits for each firesquad. Ie, one commander, one sniper, one mg then the other two guys basic infantry. Also, on a map with a bunch of different class options, perhaps there could be a separate assault and defense squad with the sniper only being available on the defensive squad and the engineer on the assault.

I should note that this would be just for the infantry. If you are playing on a tank map, you would wait for your crew of three to be lined up before spawning. (A tank guy shouldn't spawn with an infantry squad.)

The key for this to work would be that server admins would have to set player limits in multiples of 5 (and 3 if there are tanks) and this would only be useful in full servers, perhaps competitive play or pickup games.

Upvote 0
sappo said:
2. Some sort of identification system inplace for squads, maybe something as simple as colored ARMBANDS on the soliders? Green squad, orange squad.... I know that sounds kind of cheesy at first but consider it at least.

You know, that is actually not a bad idea.

I would HATE any form of ingame radar view of any soldiers, but that would be a nice and realistic little touch

Upvote 0
I'd like to see some recognition as it is nigh-impossible to tell which one of your teammates is who unless you are right beside them.

I don't think a spawning-on-a-squad system will ever be implemented. When reinforcements arrived, they would work in their own groups and maybe resupply advance squads only when they reached them.

I would LOVE to see a selectable spawn point though.

Upvote 0
The interesting thing about this game is that communication is very difficult. In the real world after all, the squad would need to keep large intervals to prevent from being killed by a single mortar or shell. Another interesting things is that everyone on your side wears the same uniform. While this is good to prevent your own side from killing you, it also hampers verifying who is who in a serious fire fight. So combine distance, similiar appearance, smoke, extremely loud noise, and trying to save your own skin and what you have is a big recipe for confusion. The only thing that can prepare you for such difficulties is practice. The lack of recognition is frustrating, but fits in with the developer's desire for realism.

Upvote 0
i find it very easy to coordinate with teammates.
just use 3 things. communication, intellegence, and teamwork.
communicate what area the squad is in.
intellegently look for your squad, you know the tactics they would use, what areas they would cover, etc...
and teamwork, try not to let your teammates die in the first place.

if you can find those tings with your current squad then either train up or find a better squad.

i imagine war is confusing, noisey, and deadly. its the soldiers that overcame the situation or the situation overcame the soldiers.

Upvote 0
I've had some success in using reasonable tactics in a pub by getting on the team channel, and asking who's there. If I get a response (somewhat rare, I admit), then the team can start working who goes where, and who does what. When I don't get a response, I bail, get on another server, and try again. When your entire team is on VOIP, you can coordinate movements quite well. Two-man teams, one covering the other, or, 2-by-2, with one team leapfrogging over the other. Again, the key is to communicate, and that can't happen well with only text chat, or even a combination of text and voice.

I would love to see separate squad, and even vehicle, channels. Very difficult to coordinate a driver and machine gunner who don't have VOIP. Simple stuff, like "driver stop", "machine gunner left, infantry", or, "main gun, right, tank".

Also there needs to be more radios for squad and vehicle commanders. You can really use arty effectively, if you get one player (in the right role, of course), who can direct arty properly. I would like to see in-vehicle radios, so that platoon/squad leaders can act as their own forward observers, dropping arty as they go.

One of the best times I had in the game was in the Arad map. I didn't move, except to run back and forth between an observation point and a radio. The team I was on were all on VOIP, and the forward elements were directing the attack, while I was keeping the enemy from end-running from behind. The other team were running around like chickens in a barnyard.

Of course, after awhile, it got a bit boring, continually winning...:)

Sorry to be so long-winded, and this is really not the place for this response, as its kind of a "wishlist" thing, but I saw the thread...

Upvote 0