• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Co-op???---Refund?

This is a silly thread. What would coop be?

Playing singleplayer, with a friend, against bots.

What is multilplayer with only bot opponents?

Singleplayer, with human allies.

I can't help but wonder if the people who are sad about coop have tried the singleplayer! It's the same as an empty multiplayer server folks! If you really really want the privacy of COOP, you could get your own private server.

TLDR: COOP would be good if the singleplayer wasn't just multiplayer on an empty botserver, but it is.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
no its like buying a game for an advertised mode like co-op and and then finding out it doesn't exist, or an online campaign even

This is true. Depending on what country you are in (i.e what your consumer related legislation says) if you were sold a product that is not as advertised, you might be entitled to a refund.

I don't care for co-op. And I would not return the game on that basis. But, if you bought the game specifically for co-op (why?) as advertised and that feature has not been delivered, then you probably have legal consumer rights of return/ refund.

Upvote 0
just play on bot servers, it's exactly the same

Exactly, if I want my co-op fix, I either play KF (which I'm doing recently) and RO2 Bot Servers, with some friends or other players on one team.

Right now the only real reason why I'm not playing RO2 is because I've been playing the same maps, same weapons, same two tanks since the beta days..... I need a break or some new content.

And while the new community maps are great, playing the same maps I've already played for the last number of years doesn't cut it either.

Plus it's been a while since I played KF and the christmas thing they had got me back into it. :cool:

Upvote 0
This is a silly thread. What would coop be?

Playing singleplayer, with a friend, against bots.

What is multilplayer with only bot opponents?

Singleplayer, with human allies.

I can't help but wonder if the people who are sad about coop have tried the singleplayer! It's the same as an empty multiplayer server folks! If you really really want the privacy of COOP, you could get your own private server.

TLDR: COOP would be good if the singleplayer wasn't just multiplayer on an empty botserver, but it is.

I have played the single player, but it is much more fun to play through the single player campaign with 3 (or however many TWI decides to include) of your friends while you are talking with each other over teamspeak .. and the number and difficulty of Ai increased to make up for the extra players.
As I have mentioned previously .. add extra Ai and difficulty for each person that joins.

Sort of like going on a date by yourself .. you can do it, but it's a lot more fun if you take someone with you.

On another point .. Tripwire had promised some additional co-op modes.

Co-op: Players can connect with their friends and battle AI in multiple game types including the Stalingrad Campaign, Skirmish Mode, and more.

Co-op Campaign Mode: The singleplayer campaign can be played with a friend/friends. (Source: GDN Gamescom Article)
Skirmish Mode: This mode can be played online and offline. You get three fire teams of three members each. Fire team members can be made up of human players or AI. The goal is to 'clear' the map of enemy AI. It can be compared to Terrorist Hunt mode in the Rainbow Six games. (Source:IGN Preview)

Source for above: [URL="http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48698"][url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=48698[/URL][/URL]

If you ever played RB6:T-Hunt, you know that it was a co-op only mode .. and that mode was more popular than multiplayer was.

Upvote 0
Co-op is about atmosphere

Co-op is about atmosphere

Hi guys,

I've been a fan of co-op style gaming for a while now with such games as Killing Floor, Left 4 Dead and OFP.

The question has been asked "what is coop?" or "what would coop look like?" and I would like to offer my opinion as to what a good coop mode can bring to the game.

The most important is _atmosphere and immersion_. In a well designed coop mode it would feel like you part of a story and ideally you would encounter AI acting out things that would be _too boring for a human to do_. Few human players are going to stand at a guard post for hours on end for example but an AI will happily do just that.

So a well designed AI can add alot to the realism of missions by roleplaying accordingly.

Not only the above but you are able to cut out the annoying mic and keyboard spam and all other very human things that people do that break atmosphere instantly (at least if you coop with people that roleplay properly).

So for the player that enjoys immersion as much as shooting - then yes coop is going to be fun and a unique experience.

Upvote 0
I just can't really see why anyone would prefer playing a multiplayer game with their friends against AI bots instead of against other humans.

In the sense of playing with your friends against a common enemy, it is all very much already there in the game. The only thing missing if they want some continuity is the implementation of the multiplayer campaign.

If the AI was done nicely it would have offered an experience different, and in ways, more realistic (and in ways less realistic) than the online game modes. I was looking forward to this feature, but figured the AI would be dumb.

I was hoping for SWAT 4 style command able AI as well, but they seem to be far dumber.

Reactions: Lethall
Upvote 0
yeah, they do. and it's rewarding to kill the guys who made the game!:D

http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/630735824399365547/BBBF737F3D01D3496EAE048B21C614C0EA2D0421/ :IS2:

Heh, Anyway in response to the question of why bother with Coop or why would people want it when it's just singleplayer with bots, there are quite a few reasons. One thing that comes to mind would be a "survival" type of game mode, think apartments where you and some friends would have to find a spot to hold... Not necessarily an objective but just survive for say 10 or 20 minutes against waves of enemy forces who would search and attempt to neutralize you. The closest example I could give you of that would be the German mission in the campaign where you have to defend the apartments first objective. It's actually simple to do because of the bots AI, but with imrpovements (Making them not attempt to melee you, fail, and then follow you around the map staring at you as you lead them like sheep to the slaughter :p).

Other thing's like a coop campaign, or terrorist hunt mode would be great as well. And of course doing the games campaign would probably be alot of fun with someone competent watching your back, rather then bots who use the cover you are by going inside you, run in front of your weapon while you're shooting enemies causing you to kill them, and do other silly thing's. Besides, you can't really sneak around trying to outflank a numerically superior enemy with a bot can you?

Now as for online play, the reason why some might not want to go online with a friend and try simply using teamwork online is simple. Sometimes a server is full and your buddy will get stuck waiting for the map to change so people leave so he can get in, and if he does he might not even be on your team. Some might just want to be on a small team of three or four friends versus say 30 bots. Others might not like working with a team they're not familiar with. There are many reasons why people would want coop, it was the deciding factor for one of my friends when I convinced him to buy the game and well... Lets just say that he hasn't had the greatest time with it. Of course that's due to the state it was released in, but the missing features didn't help. Still even though he rags on about the game and his often horrible experiences online, we still manage to have fun and get a laugh out of it when playing together.

Story time: On one particularly unlucky night for him, as Germans on Spartanovka he said over voice "Alright, I've had it we lose... I'm tired of fighting this war so you know what, we're running away. Let's go." He shoots with his MP40 in the direction he wants to retreat, we both are about to start running, but right after he shoots he gets shot. I stand over his corpse for about 3 seconds, run straight in the direction away from the battle, and escape unharmed. Probably the funniest moment I've had playing Ro2.

Now I can definitely see some more stuff like that happening online, but with coop added we'd be able to actually get on a team together more often, find each other on the battlefield easily as we'd more then likely spawn together, and have more hilarious games while also working together against a team of bots, and of course if we choose, a team of humans. Sometimes though, people are in the mood for different experiences. Playing Counter Strike for example online with a friend in a pub game of say 16 v 16 is nothing like playing with that same friend against 20 bots all trying to kill you. To me, it's the same with RO2.

Upvote 0
Yeah, if you prefer to play against dump bots (ofp and arma2 has stupid bots) this is the wrong game for you!! This game needs hard work to get a killer like ro1 at the moment its just a m.. game that feels like Cod World at War!!

A bit off topic but I'd like to challenge you to find an AI that is as smart as the AI in ArmA 2. Yes they do dumb things from time to time BUT in an open world game with no scripting telling the AI to do what and where to do it they are rather damn impressive.
They might be slow to react in very close quarters and occasionally they might just lie around and become a prone turret under fire (which is the mission makers fault for placing AI with absolutely no waypoints at all) but they will find and take cover (even at streetlamps etc) and lean around them, taking into account positions of various enemy contacts, they work together as a group and will actually communicate between eachother in combat where the group leader will assign targets to different squad members etc.
There is NO AI out there that does what ArmA 2's AI does, let alone better.

Upvote 0
Co-op Against AI

Co-op Against AI

I just can't really see why anyone would prefer playing a multiplayer game with their friends against AI bots instead of against other humans.

In the sense of playing with your friends against a common enemy, it is all very much already there in the game. The only thing missing if they want some continuity is the implementation of the multiplayer campaign.

As someone already observed, Armed Assault is an excellent large-scale and highly realistic game that offers co-op play against very capable AI.

Another good reason is health. Take a teenage son whose father has survived multiple bouts of leukemia with a few years of chemotherapy. The combination often causes arthritis in the joints, especially the hands. The joint pain makes the father too slow to play against other people, but able to deal with AI bots. So the son can still enjoy playing with his father in between playing multiplayer with his friends.

I am such a father. My son and I enjoy playing co-op together when we have free time. Whenever we find a good co-op game, we snap it up. Games that don't offer co-op nearly always wind up "no sale" for us. We really wished that more games offered co-op play, like Battlefield 4.

Upvote 0
Co-Op is very much like a group of people working together to achieve a common goal. Generally speaking it's where MP meets SP.

I'm not speaking as if we are making a co-op mode currently but rather just chewing the rag with the community.

Cool.

Honestly, just integrating a fully-supported "host listen server" feature in the game's GUI like we had in RO1 would be enough for co-op with a few friends. I have given up trying to do this using the present system of the server download + command line. The information in the server-hosting section of the forums isn't much help at all with my usual result being the "you can't connect to your own server because it has DLC you do not" BS.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

Upvote 0
Cool.

Honestly, just integrating a fully-supported "host listen server" feature in the game's GUI like we had in RO1 would be enough for co-op with a few friends. I have given up trying to do this using the present system of the server download + command line. The information in the server-hosting section of the forums isn't much help at all with my usual result being the "you can't connect to your own server because it has DLC you do not" BS.

Cheers,

Fafnir_6

The error message you are referring to, is because of version mismatch, update server (validate the files with steamcmd, if you used hldsupdatetool you will have a server version two years old if it is still up on this tool) and it must work. Open firewall ports, enable webadmin, and there you go. If you need some help to setup your own server I can help you on steam. http://wiki.tripwireinteractive.com...nloading_and_Running_the_SteamCMD_Update_Tool

Upvote 0