• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Level Design Falling through terrain

Do you have playerstarts, volume, pylon etc all properly set up?

I added a couple of player starts but that's it. Is a volume required to PIE and if so what type and where does it go?

I also have no idea what a pylon is. I will check out an existing map to try and work this out :p

I think a lot of newbies to RO2 mapping are going to have this exact same issue, so it would be great if someone could bang out a short tutorial that people can follow in order to get them quickly to the PIE stage.

I will do that myself If I ever get to that stage lol :p

Upvote 0
Pylon is a thing you placed for the AI, it tells the engine to build the pathing in that particular zone. Without pylon you can't have bots, I don't think they are critical if you just want to run around in PIE tho.

Maybe place a Playerstart volume and some spawns to see if it corrects the problem? It should make you spawn in the spots instead of any where on the map

Upvote 0
If i remember correct I didn't even need a playerstart to walk in PIE.
What kind of material did you add to the terrain.

I imported two tga files. A normal version and a diffuse version and then created a material based on those two and hooked up the nodes as required to create the material. Then created a new terrain setup layer from the selected material in the terrain editor thingy.

Upvote 0
Ok sounds decent, but try a stock material to run a test.

Tried a stock material and I am still falling through the terrain. Also added an ROPlayerStartVolume thingy around my player starts and still no joy.

Also check collision properties of the terrain and ROVolumePlayerStart against ones from Apartments and they are identical.

Aaaaaargh!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Double check that the playerstart is above the terrain. Could be that on spawn you automatically clip into terrain and result in you falling into the void ;)

Holy Crap! Sir...you are a genius and I am a total Idiot.

That was it :rolleyes:

You have saved some of my hair from being torn out lol.

Cheers dude - much appreciation to you and everyone else who has posted to help a plonker :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0