• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Tactics How am i supposed to use Sharp?

The M14 shouldn't have a better iron-sight. Consider what the weapon already does - it kills trash, sirens, husks, and if necessary can solo fleshpounds. Given its weight, it's also typically used with a LAR, and because of this you typically see sharpshooters with this loadout holding the back area or side-door of the map without ever really needing assistance.

The way it is now, the M14 is extremely good up close, and still very good (although more difficult to use) at medium range. It sucks from far away, where for example the xbow wouldn't. This is a good thing - if the M14 was as effective at killing husks/scrakes/sirens as the xbow at long range, there would be very little reason to use the xbow over the M14. The weapon shines up close, shines at medium range if you have the skill, and is terrible from afar as it should be.

And mind you, the sights aren't BAD, they're just hard to use for multiple shots in quick succession. This is fine - if you really do see a husk from very far away and need to drop it, you can. You take your time to aim a bit, move the sights over its head, and shoot. Hey wait, does that sound like something a class called "sharpshooter" should be doing!? Yeah, it probably does. I think the M14's sights are more than made up for by the LAR's, and you'll almost always have a LAR if you carry the M14 anyway.

You explain and defend the M14 well.

M14 is still rarely used in KF! It

Upvote 0
M14 is still rarely used in KF!

Well, I guess it depends where you look. It's a common sight in HoE games.

You believe it will be deemed overpowered with an improved iron sight?

Yes, I answered this exact question in my previous post but if you'd like a condensed version then it's because

1) a better sight makes the M14 better to the point where the xbow would get no use
2) a better sight makes the M14 too good for its cost/weight since it also has the ability to do everything else it currently can and the scope would give it yet another ability (long range stuff)
3) some people want the game to be hard, and if the M14 was better (if it had a better scope), it would be too easy to kill everything. Think "pre-nerf xbow"

Upvote 0
Sharpshooter became far less powerful when they nerfed bodyshot damage in response to incessant whining about the overpowered M14.

Is sharpshooter more balanced this way? Yes.

Is sharpshooter less fun this way? Hell yes.

I don't even want to use him any more. The perk feels rather anemic. It's strange to be able to pop scrake and fleshpound heads off then spray into a clots chest and do minimal damage. In my opinion they should have just nerfed the M14, not the entire sharpshooter perk.

Upvote 0
You absolutely have to do headshots with the sharpshooter if you want to do good damage. Heck, everybody should be doing headshots.

Commandos absolutely should be doing headshots.
Medics doing headshots.
Supports doing headshots with shotguns.
Berserkers gotta do headshots with their melee and ranged sidearms.
Firebugs should do headshots with mac10 and husk cannon.
Even demos are rewarded with double damage if they get a headshot with explosives.

You're finding it bothersome because it's difficult for you right now. Just keep playing and you'll eventually get terrific aim.

And you don't see m14 on lower difficulties because crossbow's just ridiculously powerful on hard and lower. As you go to suicidal, it's not as powerful in comparison to an m14, and you might see more of them there. M14's more of a veteran's weapon too. You absolutely need to be good at headshotting if you want to use it as the body damage is terrible.

False. Demo only get headshots bonus on duds which, demos shouldn't be doing, since it's a waste of grenades and money. Grenades that successfully explode deals explosive damage. Explosive damage has no headshots multiplier. If the Grenade is shot and hits a target inside the minimum arming range, it will not explode, classifying it as a dud, which does blunt physical damage, which has 2.0 headshot multiplier, which is usually lower than the normal explosive dammage anyways. Demo shouldn't be focusing on headshots, because explosions deal more dammage than blunt headshots, and it also does splash dammage. A demo should worry about catching as many enemies as they can in the grenade splash radius so that they gain more money from firing that grenade instead of wasting it. A dud may kill weaker specimens, but it only kills one, which the bounty is likely to be less than the cost of the grenade ($10 per round)

Upvote 0
I dunno what kind of problems you're really having. I started with sharpshooter, and only sharpshooter for a long time - before and after nerfs. You get used to aiming for headshots and compensating for hitboxes after so long, that it's natural. If your complaint is that you have trouble hitting the head, and after all your gameplay, you haven't improved.. then sharpshooter isn't the perk for you.

Some of us find it insanely easy with most specimens like hordes of clots, and generally get 12+ kills with 15 bullets. Sharpshooter is amazingly effective at this point, along with commando and other perks.

In my opinion they should have just nerfed the M14, not the entire sharpshooter perk.

The crossbow would decap, and kill, anything on 6man suicidal. The handcannon dropped most of your problem specimens easily with bodyshots. Are you really just saying that you want an overpowered perk to choose whenever you feel like having fun?

Upvote 0
a little tip I'd advise trying to better yourself with the m14 (or any gun actually) is to scope your weapon, and put a mark on your monitor. This is harder to do in these modern times with the LCD screens, but you can stick a tiny dot of tape on the screen where the crosshair is and it will work fine.

If you do that enough, you will learn where the center of your screen is pretty quick, and you won't need to scope in the m14, and can just use the laser.

Obviously, you can just spam shots where you think the center is until you start getting it right, but you will miss a lot.

I used to do this a lot in CS when I had a CRT monitor, I could write on the monitor with a dry-erase marker, and then when I was done, just wipe it off. I got real good at no-scoping in scoutzknivez, and now I can find the center no problem.

you should be headshotting with EVERY class, however, not just sharpshooter. On my lvl 5 commando, if I have a decent team backing me up, I can use the bullpup the first 5-6 rounds and do 2 shots max per zombie in the 50 round magazine. Then I usually buy the SCAR and use that to the end with 1 shot per kill everything on semi-auto unless I get surrounded.

the m14 is annoying because I run out of ammo on it so fast, moreso than the ironsight...which are really hard to use. I stick with the laser and just let stuff get a little closer typically so I can see the laser on their faces. It's really good for clearing out a big group though sincey ou can shoot so fast for 20 rounds.

Upvote 0
False. The xbow does not decap the scrake/FP on Suicidal/HoE on 6man team with 1 shot.

That was a reply to someone else, as shown by my quote.. Suicidal used to be the hardest difficulty, both sharpshooter and the crossbow have been nerfed, along with scrakes and fleshpounds getting buffed for headshot resistance on higher difficulties.

Here's what I'm talking about.

Upvote 0
False. Demo only get headshots bonus on duds which, demos shouldn't be doing, since it's a waste of grenades and money. Grenades that successfully explode deals explosive damage. Explosive damage has no headshots multiplier. If the Grenade is shot and hits a target inside the minimum arming range, it will not explode, classifying it as a dud, which does blunt physical damage, which has 2.0 headshot multiplier, which is usually lower than the normal explosive dammage anyways. Demo shouldn't be focusing on headshots, because explosions deal more dammage than blunt headshots, and it also does splash dammage. A demo should worry about catching as many enemies as they can in the grenade splash radius so that they gain more money from firing that grenade instead of wasting it. A dud may kill weaker specimens, but it only kills one, which the bounty is likely to be less than the cost of the grenade ($10 per round)

Next time you feel the need to correct someone's (apparent) mistake, make sure you yourself know what you're talking about.

Rockets and grenades deal extra damage to the impact target by awarding damage twice if they strike the upper chest / head area. The total damage dealt is ~92% more than the base damage, or two hits each dealing ~96% of the base damage. This have been proven through testing, code, and mutators to printout debug information and documented on the TWI forums. Like Elsea said, demos should be focusing on head shots because they are rewarded with more damage.

Also, explosives do have a head shot multiplier, it's 1.1x but it is only used when attacking a headless specimen.

Last edited:
Reactions: sah and Spicy
Upvote 0
That was a reply to someone else, as shown by my quote.. Suicidal used to be the hardest difficulty, both sharpshooter and the crossbow have been nerfed, along with scrakes and fleshpounds getting buffed for headshot resistance on higher difficulties.

Here's what I'm talking about.

Derp, I just realized what you were trying to get across regarding pre-nerf Sharpshooter class and old Suicidal.

Upvote 0
If those were really problems they could have just tweaked the individual weapons or given certain specs resistance to them. I just feel that the lackluster bodyshot damage makes the perk less fun, it's an opinion.

It's a class that absolutely requires headshots for it to work. If you don't find the perk fun, there are 6 other perks for you to mess around with. If you can consistently get headshots with the class, you'll find yourself topping the kills charts all the time unless there's a spamming demo or a trash cleaner like commando or firebug. I find it fun that it requires a good amount of skill to use. If you just play something else for a while, you'll develop enough skill with it that it'll become fun for you as well.

Upvote 0
xbow is boring now!

i have all level 6 and 100% achievements. with xbow i pretty much solo everything as sharp sometimes even on 6 player hoe.

if you gonna use xbow, use HC with it. the update changed it now so that sharp gets + body damage + reload/recoil bonus on duals. try dual HC. now that they get bonuses its actually worth it now.

for a non boring combo, try triple dualies early waves. pistol magnum HC duals. its fun :3

for a legit setup to use not using xbow i use 1 magnum LAR and m14. with a m14 you can kill FP with 6 player hoe in 10 headshots. after practicing i can solo FP by myself in 6 player games without xbow. more risky but more fun. LAR can kill scrakes on HOE 6 player in 4-5 shots. i think 5.

Upvote 0
From what i have read of the posts the M14 is STILL overpowered in the hands of a skilled player? And the Xbow as well?

HoE was never needed to be introduced then. Weapons in KF could just have been nerfed even more.

No matter difficulty a game will eventually become easy anyway by the player learning.

Since any difficulty will become easy anyway, what

Upvote 0
It's a class that absolutely requires headshots for it to work. If you don't find the perk fun, there are 6 other perks for you to mess around with. If you can consistently get headshots with the class, you'll find yourself topping the kills charts all the time unless there's a spamming demo or a trash cleaner like commando or firebug. I find it fun that it requires a good amount of skill to use. If you just play something else for a while, you'll develop enough skill with it that it'll become fun for you as well.

Getting headshots isn't a problem for me, it's more the powerful feeling most Killing Floor weapons have is severely diminished for the SS weapons since the change. He's also less versatile, but I suppose my real complaint is purely about the subjective feel of the perk and it's weapons. Baseless maybe, but it's just my $0.02.

Upvote 0
From what i have read of the posts the M14 is STILL overpowered in the hands of a skilled player?
Today's M14 is a lot like build 1014's Berserker: Extraordinary in the right hands, terrible in the wrong ones. If you want to become proficient with it, practice. A lot.

There you go lol.

And the Xbow as well?

I'd say yes, the xbow is fairly overpowered but not nearly as much as the M14. This is for several reasons - the xbow destroys scrakes/husks/sirens, does a decent job with fleshpounds if you really need to, can be sold for $600 after you spawn with a free one at level 6, and if you're running around with it and trying to conserve ammo you can shoot into the ground to effectively have infinite ammo.

Upvote 0
I am starting to feel sorry for Sharpshooter.

An outsider, a battered perk. I bet he feel mobbed!

Most comments about Sharpshooter seem to be complaints, me included as well.

Poor Sharpy! What to do?

I know, have at least 4 SS+Xbow on HoE full team camping and Sharp yet again becomes overpowered and frowned at. Hahaha! Poor scrakes and fps don't stand a chance!

Sharpshooter: hated and loved!

Upvote 0