• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hits not registering

Papa Lazarou

Grizzled Veteran
Dec 4, 2011
I'm having some serious problems with hits not registering correctly.

I aim my weapon towards someone, fire, but it seems as though the bullet never arrives.

Another situation went as follows: A russian was firing at me with his pistol, whilst I was firing at him with my MP40. We both unloaded a full clip at each other but none, not a single hit registered correctly. (it had nothing to do with latency or lag)

I hope this gets fixed soon because this is a very annoying bug.

Yeah, that happens to me too, had also opened a thread before.
Alas, it's still happening after the last patch, even worse.

It never really happens on middle or far distances, only short distances, e.g. 2-3 meters. Far away that the ending of the gun barrel does not protrude behind the enemy, though.

Last wednesday I stood about 3 m from a kneeling bot, which hid from another player and fired a whole MP 40 magazine *aimed* into him. No reaction. Switched to the SVT-40 I had gathered from the ground before and killed him with a single shot.

I notice, that this seems to happen with SMGs only. Maybe it's a problem like "hit detection overload" on close range?
E.g. the SMG spamming out a lot of bullets at a close distance is somehow "swamping" and thereby disabling the hit detection ?

Upvote 0
There are still a few bugs that cause you to shoot off, can I get you to try a few things next time it happens or answer a few questions to let us know what kind of 'hit registration' issue you are experiencing? Is it like either of these two examples?

1. The effect of this bug goes something like this: Online, you will see yourself firing directly at someone, you see your shots SHOULD be hitting the enemy, visually, but these apparent 'hits' never actually hit the enemy. Why? Because on the server you were facing another direction, and if the server saw you facing left rather than straight, your bullets were fired left as well. When you are in a state where you are not registering hits on an enemy, could you please fire at a wall or a surface that will leave hit decals to see if your bullets are hitting where you are really aiming them, in and out or iron sights (since that can differ as well)?
If they are not, did you recently take over a bot? Bandage? Use cover? Anything like that?
2. There is a less severe, similar issue online and offline caused by cover/collision. For example, you see a bot looking out of cover in iron sights with his back to you, you shoot him but nothing 'hits', you shoot the wall in and out of iron sights and see that you were not shooting off, then the bot shoots and kills you without turning around. HOW? Possibly, the bot is facing in a different direction than he appeared to be, because that cover in particular is pushing him in a strange direction, usually because there is an object jutting into the cover area that has collision. If you see a location where a bot is covered, or covering and going into iron sights, that you are having trouble hitting him, try covering in that spot yourself. Does it seem strange, or cause you to fire inaccurately?

Upvote 0
@ Schnurx

Yeah it's mostly on shorter distances, but it has happened to me on longer distances with a K98 too.

@Thunderkat

1. In the example I first described, me and the other guy were both strafing and shooting each other. I was busy focusing on my enemy but I don't think any bullets hit the wall or the ground. It was like the bullets fired from his pistol and my SMG never arrived anywhere.
If it happens again I'll try it out and shoot a wall/ground.

But I doubt it has anything to do with facing the wrong direction. I saw my enemy facing me, he saw me facing him.

"did you recently take over a bot? Bandage? Use cover? Anything like that?"

No, none of those. I just spawned on the grain elevator map and went to the gate house where I saw the enemy.

2. Never had the problem when I played offline, it always occurred online

Upvote 0
Interesting, thanks! I will try to check and shoot into the wall or something next time. I play only online.
Normally it happens to me on "meeting occasions", e.g. I walk into a room, enemy has his back to me, 2-3 meters distance. I start emptying SMG into his back, after a while he turns around and shoots me.
Seems to me that "problem 1" best fits this, I'll try to see if I'm really standing in the direction I'm looking.

Upvote 0
This just happened:

Me and another person of my team go in to clear a building. We both spot an enemy and beginning shooting at him. I shoot around 5 bullets of my G41 straight at the enemy, not hitting him a single time. The enemy shoots me death and what do I get... -1 point for shooting an ally.

The hit system of this game is broken. When will this be fixed ?

This is the most annoying part of the game, you shoot and non of the hits register -> You die !

Why are there so little responses I see a lot of people online having this problem ?

When will this be fixed ?

Upvote 0
Busy server ? Yeah this mostly happens when there are 20+ people on the server.

I can't recall this happening when I played with 10-15 or less people.

I didn't have a high ping because I play on server with less than 100 ping putting me somewhere around a good 60 (80 max). Definitely not a latency problem.

I'll try and take a screenshot but it'll be hard, this bug is very random. And mostly when I shoot and miss I'm shot dead right away (because they are informed of my position by the flash). But I'll try because I really want this fixed :)

Upvote 0
2011122000006.jpg

Here is an image of a hit not registering correctly. The situation is as follows: the enemy is about 220-230 meters away and I have dialed in the range, fired about 10 bullets but not a single hit. I didn't miss, because before that I sniped a bunch of enemies there.

It also can't be the custom map's fault because this is the first time I've played one.

But anyway I doubt the picture is very clear so I'll take another one.

Upvote 0
I'll also try to think of this. Alas, normally I'm just too pi***ed when it happens to act rationally. It happens even with "moderate" pings for me, e.g. around 80-100.

Latest of these issues was even weirder than most.
Playing Grain Elevator as Russian SL, having gathered an MP40, I encountered a german who was standing and concentrating in another direction. I approached him from behind. Then I hit him (melee) three times in the back with the MP40, generating a satisfying hit sound, but not much else. I stepped 2-3 steps back, when he turned, fired at least 10 shots into him and then was killed by a single shot from his carbine.
As I did not get even a kill assist, I recon I didn't even hurt him.

Things like these really happen about in at least 1/7-1/10 of all close encounters and this really, really s****.

Upvote 0
Before you said this only happens when you were online. Were you on a busy server/ did you have a high ping? Next time you shoot at someone and run into this, please check your FPS and grab a quick screenshot.

Weird :confused: my first post didn't get posted.

Anyway:

I usually play on busy server. This problem also usually happens when there are 20+ people playing.

But I have also encountered it on server with 15-10 and less players.

As for high ping. No, my ping is usually around 60-80. The server I frequent have a latency of about 100 so that can't be the cause I think.

I'll try my best to take another screenshot of the problem. What exactly should I focus on? My fps are not shown on my screen though.

Upvote 0
Thank you!
Visible hit effects would be a good thing to focus on in a screenshot if you are at a close range and you can find them.

I've had this happen myself a number of times, its hard to take a screenshot in that situation and not get killed :/ it can be very frustrating.

Oh and one more thing, bots can cause this issue in several ways, please note if you are shooting at a bot, what that bot is doing, or if you recently took over a bot, which class you took over.

If you encounter this bug when there are no bots on your server, you have a good fast connection, your ammo is decreasing as you fire, your hit effects are hitting surfaces you aim at in and out of iron sights, then you may have found a way to get this bug I do not know about yet. If that is the case (for anyone) just PM me, so I can ask you lots of questions.

Upvote 0
Same as Schnurx. My ammo decreases and I didn't take over any bots.

It really seemed like the bullets never arrived anywhere (no visible hits like when I shot that teammate in the situation I described and got -1 team I didn't see any visible impact from my bullets on him). But of course it could also appear that way because you are focusing on the enemy. I'll try to focus on the surroundings when it happens again.

Upvote 0
2011122200002.jpg

2011122200003.jpg

So here are two screens I took after it happened.

I went towards an enemy with a PPSH and he had a Nagant. I went down the stairs and shot him. He killed me however, after I shot.

The first image showes where he stood, where the bullets went into the wall instead of hitting him. He walked away unscratched towards me so it appears none of the bullets hit him.

The second screens shows my ping: 48

Upvote 0
No replies ?

I've just ran into this problem a lot. Even saw the but in a way I hadn't encountered before:

Shot someone through the head, saw the blood come out, but the person remained unharmed and just ran away.

Are you working on a fix for this bug ?

I've seen that as well, typically when the server is lagging for some reason. Thank you for answering my questions btw.

Well I'm not working on a fix, I'm QA :p but the programmers do know about it.

Upvote 0
this, as well as the awful game engine (proning, then trying to spring for example and the disgusting cover system) make the game so frustrating to play after the initial excitement. I don't regret buying it at all though, I've had fun playing it. But it just feels like there's a secret sv_hitreg 0 going on or something. These days I can't play without getting upset at the thought that the game simply hates me.

I like the rifles, it could be like back in DoD1.3 where the rifles were the best simple weapons if you took the time to learn to play with them. In this game the almost inexistant hitreg defeats the purpose. Also, it seems that if you fire without the ironsights, the game just kind of randomly decides where your shot goes, instead of the shot going where your gun would be pointing at, that is the center of your screen. Another potentially cool, skill requiring feature destroyed.

Reactions: Floyd
Upvote 0
this, as well as the awful game engine (proning, then trying to spring for example and the disgusting cover system) make the game so frustrating to play after the initial excitement. I don't regret buying it at all though, I've had fun playing it. But it just feels like there's a secret sv_hitreg 0 going on or something. These days I can't play without getting upset at the thought that the game simply hates me.

I like the rifles, it could be like back in DoD1.3 where the rifles were the best simple weapons if you took the time to learn to play with them. In this game the almost inexistant hitreg defeats the purpose. Also, it seems that if you fire without the ironsights, the game just kind of randomly decides where your shot goes, instead of the shot going where your gun would be pointing at, that is the center of your screen. Another potentially cool, skill requiring feature destroyed.

also, this is like the 5th time I'm trying to post, the forums don't seem to be working properly. :confused:

Last edited:
Upvote 0