• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Make the MG's have a lot less recoil, and require two men to operate the belt feed.

Make the MG's have a lot less recoil, and require two men to operate the belt feed.

• Total voters

Big Noyd

Grizzled Veteran
Jun 22, 2011
NJ
It would be so ****ing amazing to have an MG squad and have a fellow soldier hold the rounds for the MG-38 belt feed. The player holding the rounds could get like, assists or team points or even kills for whenever the gunner gets a kill. Also, the MG's have ridiculous recoil. These are supposed to be trained soldiers, not 9 year olds with parkinsons trying to shoot an MG. It would make the MG a much more powerful class, and that's how it should be, especially for defense.

Or at the very least you could make it so that when you have two men operating an MG it's much more accurate. Doesn't make much sense but at least it's better than nothing.

MG's were most definitely the most important weapon for defense on the battlefield and it doesn't feel like that at ALL in RO2.

MG-34 - YouTube

Last edited:
Recoil on lower levels is indeed rediculous.
What I find odd is that they seem to have less recoil when hip fired than when deployed. At least the MG34 does. I tried it after watching the vid that Cyper posted of the guy playing run & gun with the MG at level 50. My MG34 is unleveled and I had almost no recoil when hip firing. Haven't tried this with the DP-28, though. He and I don't seem to agree on much about RO2, but he's right about that being ridiculous.

As for the suggestion, while it may be realistic to add an ammo bearer for the MG, is it realistic to expect anyone to play that class? I know I wouldn't play it. I'd sooner find another server than get stuck with that. That being the case, I voted no.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scrappa and Cyper
Upvote 0
As for the suggestion, while it may be realistic to add an ammo bearer for the MG, is it realistic to expect anyone to play that class? I know I wouldn't play it. I'd sooner find another server than get stuck with that. That being the case, I voted no.

I think we should at least be given an option to. I'd play that class especially if it helped the gunner defend an objective or whatever.

Upvote 0
I think we should at least be given an option to. I'd play that class especially if it helped the gunner defend an objective or whatever.
But by giving you the option to play that class, you are removing the option for the MG to be self sufficient. I don't think allowing the (in my estimation) miniscule percentage of the population who would want to play that role the opportunity to do so warrants hamstringing every MG player who doesn't want to rely on an ammo bearer (that will likely be played only on extremely rare occasions).

Just my thoughts.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Make two suggestions, one almost all will agree with and the other most won't agree with. Combine them in a poll so people can't select to support just one idea they have to support both or none. Sit back and watch people vote for something they don't want. Brilliant.

Even aside from the lack of options on the poll. Requiring a reloader would further reduce the effectiveness of the MG. Right now on most maps he barely holds his own and justifies his position compared to say, an assault guy. And there is certainly no way the MG is going to justify his position compared with two other classes.

Upvote 0
I was playing with solitario and he did basically this for me, spent the entire round running for ammo while my MG34 locked down the entire russian left side on spartanovka. Of course with my 250 rnd belts and a full re supply of ammo I already have over 1000 rnds of ammo, so at that point I was limited mostly by how hot my barrels were :).

Upvote 0
Requiring another player to operate the belt feed wouldn't work, unfortunately. In DH, coordination between mortar operator and observer is usually a mess, and that's why it's always the same guys using those classes. In RO2 it might be even worse if a class required such coordination to work, at least in pub servers (sharing a tank on pub servers was a disaster most of the time in ROOST) :(

Upvote 0
No, because then it's not an LMG.

The whole point of having LMGs is that they are operable by a single man and very mobile. That's why they use magazines as opposed to belts.

I suppose they could squat a feeder NPC next to the MMGs on the maps, but that'd be pretty pointless, don't you think?

Besides, as long as you fire in short bursts, it's easy to get killshots at 200+ meters. Don't hold the trigger down like you've got yourself a nice, heavy tripod to stabilize your aim. It's an LMG. Short, accurate bursts are what it's made for.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No, because then it's not an LMG.
The whole point of having LMGs is that they are operable by a single man and very mobile. That's why they use magazines as opposed to belts.
Maybe in RO2...

In RL there was the MG assistant. He and the ammo-carrier were always near the MG operator, in cover and armed only with a pistol.

I don't see the utility of MG assistant in RO: weapon does not jam, barrel can be replaced easily and there is not need for place/ground preparation for MG positioning.
BTW thanks for the video: I've never seen it. Anyway the "MG's recoil is realistic" gang will ignore it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I propsed a while back a suggestion that would be for 'Realism' or 'Hardcore' servers, where the MGs were part of squads, and when you're not working with said squad you use the standard 50 round drum. Now if you are instead working with those squads and have a certain percentage of them with you, say a squad of 5, 2 riflemen, the MG gunner, a support MG gunner and an officer with an MP40 (in the case of the Germans), obviously you can do the same with the Russians though I don't know their belt fed version other than the one that looks like the Vickers, I suppose the idea would work. Said percentage could be 3/5 or 60%. Perhaps it could even be less or just a server side decision.

Anyway I digess. In the case of the Germans the gunner (when with the squad) would gaint he ability to switch to the larger belts, 100 round or higher and be a much more powerful force. This firstly makes the MG class more inviting as it allows it to do what it does best and it also helps with team play. For the Germans they could unlock the MG42 and it would prove significantly better when with the squads with the large belts.

I just feel at the moment communication and teamplay aren't emphasised at all in this game, even Battlefield has more teamplay but that's because it's geared towards it. RO2 shouldn't be any different in that respect.

Upvote 0
Using a belt fed MG34 or 42 is not that difficult to operate as a one man MG team. (Done it a number of times now) however, unless you are in a static position, such as one with a lafayette, you would never use a 250 round belt. It's just not reasonable to do so as on the move you have to wrap it around the gun, then yourself, and then the gun again just to avoid tripping over it. It would take forever just to get in raveled so you can shoot, and even then the belt is going to be dragging on the ground and increases the chance of jamming.

That being said, the standard belt size was 100 rounds. You can wrap that perfectly around the gun without issues, and when issuing ammo out to the squad and AG (Assistant Gunner), the 100 round belts fit perfectly around your neck and tuck into the y-straps and belt to not rattle around. In almost every photo you see of a German Infantry squad with a MG, it's always a 100 round belt, or less.

Upvote 0