• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Is this game already dead?!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When i started to play there was about 4000 players online, now are less than 2000, i'm on of the players who stop to play.
I love this game i stop to play just because I CAN'T, after 20 min my PC freeze and this happend only in multyplayer, many of my friends have the same problem if they don't do something fast for fix the problem the game will die for sure, they had a good start and wasted it. :(

Upvote 0
How can people afford to rent 400 empty servers?

Almost none of them advertise or bring anything new to the community. How the hell do they expect to get even one player?
Perhaps they rented their servers for 3/6/9/12 months in advance from GSP's, or they have expensive dedicated boxes that they rent/own.
I rent my two servers from GSP's, i have already cancelled one, and the second i may just switch back to Ostfront, where i might get some of my old clients back.:IS2:

IMO this is a really really good game,despite the numerous bugs, and i think TWI have done a tremendous job, but unfortunately unlike Ostfront, its not a unique game, its just another FPS.
But even at that i'm still rather shocked at how quickly the playerbase has declined in such a short time.
Its a pity because TWI deserve much better than this.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1200 people playing right now. Last week arround this time its been 2800.
I'm starting to fear the game might not even survive untill a mod comes out to fix it for the RO1 fans.

This is the m,ajor issue.. Seriously Im worried about any support or mods when

a) the SDK is so bad it requires almost a CIA machine to run it without it dying (compare this to the RO1 where everyone could run and contribute)

b) a community so small that as a dev you have to start thinking whats the point

Reactions: Somewhat Vague
Upvote 0
a) the SDK is so bad it requires almost a CIA machine to run it without it dying (compare this to the RO1 where everyone could run and contribute)

???

The majority of the work can be done on nearly any system. Final compiling of the maps is what will bite most people, simply due to the amount of data that needs to be calculated. The only 'hard' part appears to be the memory usage, which will likely take at least 8GB of ram on the lower end. Highest official mention I've seen is 12GB used for the official maps on Production grade runs, so you'll likely want at least 16GB.

General processors should work fine, just lower end ones are going to take longer.

The system requirements are nothing for production grade processing.

This is one part of the modding process that I'm sure you shouldn't have much of a problem finding someone who can do the heavy computing for you if you can't get a system to do it yourself. I for one would be happy to leave my system crunching maps for people while I'm at work. (Assuming they actually game with me and can ask nicely.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For me the issue is not just that the server lag and ping keep me from playing but that the game just is not fun. the maps are already boring, the gameplay is lackluster and mindless, the tanking is shocking. I come on and play on and off for a day once every two weeks now because I just don't like it...
I want to like it- trust me! But it's just not fun
I was a die-hard RO mod and retail fan thru and thru. I racked up Hours and Hours and Hours per week. But this game is such a step in the other direction that my clan, sister clans of ours, and myself are just turned off from playing.
The saddest thing for me is that my clan in particular was so focused on RO that the fact that no one in my clan likes RO2 has pretty much killed my clan

:(

I wish they would just make a mutator for the older and more die-hard RO players that turns off unlockable weapons, bandaging, upgrades, stats, radar, name tags, ect...

Reactions: >F|R< Sarcinelli
Upvote 0
I also think the amount of 64 player servers and the map size has a lot to do with it.

The maps just aren't big enough for 64 players, making most games a spam fest, tactics and teamwork are not there, they don't need to be you can just run around shooting people.

Bigger maps/smaller servers imo would be much better, less kills, much slower paced gameplay, better teamwork.

I want to be crawling around on my belly, making sure the guy in the upper window doesn't see me so I can get some revenge, then get a fright when somebody else shoots me.

No point at the moment though, you do better for your team running straight to the enemy with an automatic weapon.

Upvote 0
the game is hovering at around 2500 to 1500 unique players daily.

I guess there arnt many west coast people playing because at night when i have time to play, there is like 400 ppl on max. However during the day when normal people are at work/school, there is like 1000 people on.

Apparently east coast/european players enjoy this game more lol. Hopefully itll pick up when we get some decent mods to come out, otherwise RO2 shaping up to be a massive waste of my money; im just plain not enjoying the game in its current form.

Reactions: Vegard
Upvote 0
???

The majority of the work can be done on nearly any system. Final compiling of the maps is what will bite most people, simply due to the amount of data that needs to be calculated. The only 'hard' part appears to be the memory usage, which will likely take at least 8GB of ram on the lower end. Highest official mention I've seen is 12GB used for the official maps on Production grade runs, so you'll likely want at least 16GB.

General processors should work fine, just lower end ones are going to take longer.

The system requirements are nothing for production grade processing.

This is one part of the modding process that I'm sure you shouldn't have much of a problem finding someone who can do the heavy computing for you if you can't get a system to do it yourself. I for one would be happy to leave my system crunching maps for people while I'm at work. (Assuming they actually game with me and can ask nicely.)

Well, starting off, one of the main requirements is a 64-bit OS, which might exclude a number of people - myself included - who got machines that came with 32-bit pre-installed a few years ago. With upgrading from 32-bit to 64, you also may need to back-up your files and do a clean install, which may necessitate the purchase of something to back the files up on.

Then once you have the 64-bit OS, you need to have the RAM to run it. Sure, you could try and get someone else to do the build-all, but assume that you can't or simply want to do it on your own machine. Store-bought and online, purchasing the necessary amount of RAM can set you back hundreds of dollars.

A lot of people likely won't bother with doing all of that. That's too much to be throwing at a video game that's already looking to have a relatively short lifespan. Theoretically, as you said, a good number of people should be able to do a decent portion of the map-making itself. But everything I've heard so far from people who have tried the SDK points to the fewer people with high end computers being able to even simply run the program, let alone build with it.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
My problem is the lag.

In the UK there are a few 64 player servers with pings advertised of under 100 and when you get into the game you've got a 200 ping like everyone else on the server.

They need to fix the lag before I play anymore, it kills the enjoyment out of the game when you shoot and your bullet hits like a second later or the little 2ft warps every once in awhile.

The other hate is it feels like animation over function, it always feels like I'm fighting my character in what I want him to do. Especially with things like transitions between prone or cover or mounting a gun and reloading.

Upvote 0
stat steam yesterday

now 634
peak 1632

rofl

arffffff

Basically this post you made barely consists out of readable material. I would guess your post when actually written in English goes something like this:

"I looked at the steam statistics for Red Orchestra 2 yesterday and it displayed that only 634 players were actively playing the game with a peak upto 1632 players. I find this quite laughable and retarded"

What I don't see people doing here, is taking in account the true numbers. Firstly we need to consider that there are going to be a different amount of users based on the time of day, if it's a weekend day and if no external factors apply. For Red Orchestra 2, the external factor is Battlefield 3, in a week or so Modern Warfare 3 and maybe even to a lesser extent Skyrim.

The numbers of a smaller community matter, so any fluctuations are immidiately noticed by people that are actually believing that this game will die out.

Though I do not think it will die out, it will simply retain a smaller crowd as a player base, with the occasional chance to make it grow a little bit due to expansion of content or because of free weekends and better stability.

Upvote 0
Basically this post you made barely consists out of readable material. I would guess your post when actually written in English goes something like this:
C'mon not everyone at this forum is a native speaker so ease up a little bit.

What I don't see people doing here, is taking in account the true numbers. Firstly we need to consider that there are going to be a different amount of users based on the time of day, if it's a weekend day and if no external factors apply. For Red Orchestra 2, the external factor is Battlefield 3, in a week or so Modern Warfare 3 and maybe even to a lesser extent Skyrim.
Of course it's only Battlefield3 who let the playerbase melt like butter in the sun. Although how do you explain that other games old-as-**** games like DoD:Source don't get effected by that?
Seriously, some people definitely try out BF3 these days but this isn't the problem at all.

Though I do not think it will die out, it will simply retain a smaller crowd as a player base, with the occasional chance to make it grow a little bit due to expansion of content or because of free weekends and better stability.
Well, I think the past days for the major play time in NorthAmerica the peak was around 500-600 players with some of them being even europeans. At least I wouldn't call this a active community you might expect for a 1,5 months old game. With this "retain a smaller crowd" argument you can say as well that Ostfront is totally active and alive.

Upvote 0
I would not say it's dead but in North America it is certainly on life support. In the evening there are only two populated 64 player TE servers, one of which has terrible performance problems. Then there are 2 or 3 clans practicing for Scorched Earth on private servers. It is impossible to find pub games of CD mode in North America, we have to play on the Brothers UK server for that. FF mode seems to be dead & gone for good reason.

Personally, I have ~250 hours in the game and have maxed out all the primary weapons & classes I care to. I now find it increasingly difficult to start-up the game unless my team is preparing for Scorched Earth. I must have played at least 1500+ hours of Ostfront and never really got tired of it, so it's sad to see boredom setting in this soon.

I understand what Tripwire's intentions were with this game but they missed the mark entirely. Instead of a game that would be easy for the masses to pick-up and play they created a brutally unforgiving game where death comes fast and often. The experience is too similar to other FPS games which are more polished and offer less frustration. Without some major gameplay changes being made I suspect the numbers will dwindle to where only the elite remain. They will prey on any novices who start playing due to steam sales or free weekends and be driven off aswell.

Upvote 0
I think it is obvious that many of us care about this game, and it is also obvious it's playerbase is dying fast.

Maybe we should think of ways to revive it, rather than just mope about it dying.

For me get rid of unlock system, or have a skip the fun button and you can go max level straight away, and the choice is there to grind if you want to.

CTF mode

These would be two simple things that would get me playing right now.

(of course there are many more things that need to be fixed, but for an immediate remedy, for me personally, these would do the trick)

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.