• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

You think RO2 release day was bad?

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's to be expected for big games that require a connection to the mothership to run.
In the week after the release the load is too much for the server configuration to handle, because it's set up to work under normal conditions. It's just not worth it for them to buy a configuration that can handle the launch of the game when they'll never need it again after a week or so.

Not saying it's good or that there are no conceivable ways around that, but it's nothing new or surprising.

Upvote 0
That's to be expected for big games that require a connection to the mothership to run.
In the week after the release the load is too much for the server configuration to handle, because it's set up to work under normal conditions. It's just not worth it for them to buy a configuration that can handle the launch of the game when they'll never need it again after a week or so.

I knew it and that's partly the reason why I didn't wait for "official" launch time.

I do think theres something very wrong with this all though. Everyone seems to demand global stat recording, unlocks!!! ect. but at the same time no one is willing to invest in those same systems enough for them to work all the time. This has been done tens of times already, beginning from BF2, but still, public seems to want more of these unneeded game profiles/personal accounts.

I miss times when you just had to install game and then write down your ingame name and that's it. No one came asking your personal information past the cd-key and everything worked.

Upvote 0
It's just not worth it for them to buy a configuration that can handle the launch of the game when they'll never need it again after a week or so.

This won't be the case for Origin :) It isn't a one-trick pony - EA are going to infect pretty much every future title with it. A massive amount of registrations on a launch day will be something it needs to tackle regularly - EA know this. Given everything we know about them, and the rumoured USD $300 million spend on SW:TOR development - they have no problem putting their cash behind a project, and just as Steam does, Origin will be doing a hell of a lot of work at all times.

I'd say they've simply hit problems they did not expect, as every freshly launched service like this does. EA are evidently quite stupid, but funding the platform that will "power" their future titles isn't something they'd have any problems with :) Make no mistake, Origin is a big thing for EA - in more ways than one. Their ultimate aim is for it knock Steam from it's No. 1 spot - something I personally can't see happening, but they're certainly going to try.

EDIT: They deleted that whole topic from the forums just now, after 49 pages. EA Fascists! :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Their ultimate aim is for it knock Steam from it's No. 1 spot - something I personally can't see happening, but they're certainly going to try.

How are they going to knock anyone out when they only offer their own games? If this is a way for them to gain more popularity with Origin then where are the games? Unless their object is to gain all the profit from digital distribution from their own games.

Upvote 0
This won't be the case for Origin :) It isn't a one-trick pony - EA are going to infect pretty much every future title with it. A massive amount of registrations on a launch day will be something it needs to tackle regularly - EA know this. Given everything we know about them, and the rumoured USD $300 million spend on SW:TOR development - they have no problem putting their cash behind a project, and just as Steam does, Origin will be doing a hell of a lot of work at all times.

I'd say they've simply hit problems they did not expect, as every freshly launched service like this does. EA are evidently quite stupid, but funding the platform that will "power" their future titles isn't something they'd have any problems with :) Make no mistake, Origin is a big thing for EA - in more ways than one. Their ultimate aim is for it knock Steam from it's No. 1 spot - something I personally can't see happening, but they're certainly going to try.

EDIT: They deleted that whole topic from the forums just now, after 49 pages. EA Fascists! :)
$300 million?? Wow. That's higher than a lot of blockbuster movies.

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.