• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Most vital fixes

Most vital fixes

• Total voters

Cyper

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 25, 2011
Sweden
There is no doubt that RO2 needs some fixed, because as it is right now, I think the game is not neccesary enjoyable for a quite good amount of people - at least on this board, which consist of the most loyal fanbase. This is sad, since RO2 in general is an amazing game. Here are some of the most vital features that should be added and/or improved in the game in my opinion. Of course, I want everyone to enjoy the game, even those that want to keep it as it is - but I think that a lot of this should AT LEAST be implemented in the Hardcore mode.

Please tell me what you all think about it. It would be intresting to hear everyone else opinion. As far as I'm concerned, a lot of these ideas would do great in hardcore mode. It doesn't neccesary has to be added in any other mode than hardcore.

Shoot!

Overall:

- Bandaging time increased (7-8 seconds)

- Bleedout-time increased (1-3 minutes)

- Ability to walk

- Decreased instability while aiming when player is injured in the arms

- Ability to deactivte automatic verbal commands in the server option (default: off)

- Players may lose their weapon if they take damage to the arms

- Lockdowntimer is now optional in the server settings (default: lockdowntimer off)

- Ability to set timelimit from 0-999 minutes in server options (default: 40 minutes)

- Ability to set spawntimer from 1-30 minutes (default: 1 minute)

- Players can earn points from CAP even if they're not there when the CAP is taken

- Command radial changed with an improved version of the RO OST command radial

- Sprint and stop time delayed (player can no more make an instant stop or go from still to sprint instantly)

- Skillpoints, perks, and unlocks can't be used in Hardcore mode and wont affect the player

- Any player can use any weapon in hardcore mode without any need to unlock

- Players can write ''np'' to forgive teamkills (which decrease the penalty to -1)

- Following squad leaders orders will reward the player with extra points (for instance: taking the very same cap as the squadleader has
ordered)

- If the player is hit by a bullet when running or sprinting they bullet will drastically decrease the running speed

- Skillpoints on/off in server options (forced to be Off in Hardcore mode though)

- Players wont be able to spawn beside their squadleader anymore

WEAPON HANDLING:

- When the player aims down the sight it takes 1.3 seconds for the aim to become steady from the time you start aiming

- When the players aims down the sight it takes 3 seconds in order to aim with most possible accuracy

- Aiming down the sight speed decreased

- Increased reloading time

- Weapon sway is drastically increased if the player is injured in the arms

- Increased weapon bobbing while walking and aiming down the sight

- Smoother aiming (float zone) in order to make the aiming more natural and less robotic

- Drastically decreased accuracy while running and hipshooting

- Ability to attach bayonettes on and off

- Weapon sway increased while going from prone to crouch, crouch to prone etc.

- Melee attacks from behind result in an instant death

IMMERSION

- Screen gets blurred when the players stands close to any explosion

- Screen gets blured when someone is standing next to you and fire their weapon

- Screen gets blured when bullets hit the ground in front of you while in prone

- Bullet impact sound increased (especially on metal surfaces)

- Bullet whizzle when shots are fired close to you (example: flying close to the characters head)

- Artillery sound increased (the sound from artillery will now outpower any other sound in the game)

- Walking, running, and sneaking sounds increased

- Walking, running and sneaking sound improved (diffrent sounds for diffrent surfaces)

- Getting hit by a bullet will make your screen blurred and your characters to twitch for a second

- Injured players will sometimes make moaning sounds when going from prone to standing or sprinting due to pain

- Standing close to artillery may make the player temporary lose their hearing

- Standing close to any explosion may create a beeping sound

- Big explosions may temporary decrease the view due to clouds of dust depending on surface (if it's concrete, grass or sand)

- Standing close to explosions may blow dust and dirt in the players face

Last edited:
Whoa, that's alot. Here is my feedback:

Overall:

Agreed

Agreed

- Ability to walk

Already in the game, see input ini file.

Agreed

- Ability to deactivte automatic verbal commands in the server option (default: off)

Agreed

[/COLOR]

Agreed

- Lockdowntimer is now optional in the server settings (default: lockdowntimer off)

- Ability to set timelimit from 0-999 minutes in server options (default: 40 minutes)

Agreed

Agreed

- Players can earn points from CAP even if they're not there when the CAP is taken

Agreed

Agreed

- Sprint and stop time delayed (player can no more make an instant stop or go from still to sprint instantly)

Agreed

- Skillpoints, perks, and unlocks can't be used in Hardcore mode and wont affect the player

Agreed

Unsure -> do you mean there are no class limits? if that is the case, not agreed

- Players can write ''np'' to forgive teamkills (which decrease the penalty to -1)

Already in the game

- Following squad leaders orders will reward the player with extra points (for instance: taking the very same cap as the squadleader has
ordered)

Agreed

- If the player is hit by a bullet when running or sprinting they bullet will drastically decrease the running speed

Agreed

- Skillpoints on/off in server options (forced to be Off in Hardcore mode though)

Agreed

Agreed, this feature I can live without

WEAPON HANDLING:

- When the player aims down the sight it takes 1.3 seconds for the aim to become steady from the time you start aiming

Agreed

- When the players aims down the sight it takes 3 seconds in order to aim with most possible accuracy

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Agreed

Not sure. It feels OK to me

- Smoother aiming (float zone) in order to make the aiming more natural and less robotic

Not sure. It feels OK to me

Not needed, this would nerf assaulting too much I think

Agreed

Agreed, plus also increase weapon sway when switching between chrouched and stand

Only for bayonette

IMMERSION

Already the case or you want more of the effect?

Agreed

- Bullet whizzle when shots are fired close to you (example: flying close to the characters head)

Agreed

- Artillery sound increased (the sound from artillery will now outpower any other sound in the game)

Agreed

Agreed

- Walking, running and sneaking sound improved (diffrent sounds for diffrent surfaces)

Agreed

- Getting hit by a bullet will make your screen blurred and your characters to twitch for a second

Agreed

- Injured players will sometimes make moaning sounds when going from prone to standing or sprinting due to pain

Agreed

Already the case, you're ears are ringing after explosion

Already the case, you're ears are ringing after explosion

- Big explosions may temporary decrease the view due to clouds of dust depending on surface (if it's concrete, grass or sand)

Agreed

Agreed

Upvote 0
There is no doubt that RO2 needs some fixed, because as it is right now, I think the game is not neccesary enjoyable for a quite good amount of people - at least on this board, which consist of the most loyal fanbase.

A subjective claim which could be interpreted in a number of ways by a number of different people, thus no point in saying this other than to try and somehow make your opinion more relevant than someone else's.

This is sad, since RO2 in general is an amazing game. Here are some of the most vital features that should be added and/or improved in the game in my opinion. Of course, I want everyone to enjoy the game, even those that want to keep it as it is - but I think that a lot of this should AT LEAST be implemented in the Hardcore mode.

Please tell me what you all think about it. It would be intresting to hear everyone else opinion. As far as I'm concerned, a lot of these ideas would do great in hardcore mode. It doesn't neccesary has to be added in any other mode than hardcore.

Shoot!

Overall:

I'll meet you halfway and say 3-5 seconds... as it stands now, it's only about a second.

It makes no sense to have Realism mode allow you to bleed out longer than relaxed realism..... Realism bleedout should be no more than 30 seconds. Anything beyond that makes one being shot almost pointless, because in about 1 minute you're normally shot and killed by an MG, or Marksman, or a Tank, etc. etc.

Simply put, nobody would bother to bandage if they wouldn't have to worry about bleeding out for up to 3 minutes.

- Ability to walk

If I iron sight or crouch, I achieve the exact same end result. Personally speaking, it is not required.

Test it out in Beta first and determine how much of an impact it would have on gameplay. At this stage I can not agree or disagree.

I do not approve. It helps with the immersion of the game, where RO1 was bland and void of any type of atmosphere besides the automated sound effects off in the distance, which don't seem to be in RO2.

Also, the verbal communication doesn't cause that much of an impact on the game, such as exposing where you are. Sometimes I hear the enemy nearby.... it makes me know that I should be on my toes, but not enough to determine where exactly the are.

I am used to this feature in both RO:CA and RO:Ost, but I couldn't care either way if it was added in or not. There was the original problem of having to not just pick up your weapon, but also your ammo.... plus the problem of having "WEAPON SHOT OUT OF HAND" thrown up in the centre of the screen, which was also a pain in the butt for some.

With RO2, picking up the weapon also picks up the ammo, so that problem is solved, but one also needs to figure out how to make players aware of the fact that their weapon was shot out of their hand, while also not filling their screen up with large red text.

Agreed about making it an option, but meet everyone halfway by leaving it on as default.

I don't see any problems with this idea, but 999 minutes? :confused:

Strongly disagree and would be out-right PO'd if this was done. You want everybody to wait around in spawn for 1 minute or even longer.... half an hour?

That is completely rediculous and you will turn more players off than you'll attract. I know I would stop playing altogether if that was implimented. I don't play Countdown for a good reason and that's because I want to play a game, not watch others play it.

Secondly, you'd force everybody else into relaxed realism.

Leave the spawn time alone.

If you have a friggin spawn time of 30 minutes, people would leave the server.... they won't sit at their computer staring at a screen for 30 minutes.... most won't even sit there for 1 minute, I know I don't when it comes to Countdown. Also, for a spawn time of 30 minutes, you could wipe out the entire team, toss them all into spawn, and then roll across the map, capping everything without any resistance.

And considering most matches are lucky to last 20 minutes with constant action going on the whole time, once a player was shot, they would never get back in the match.

..... They'd quit before the round was over.

Sorry, but that idea is an Epic Fail.

:confused: What? That makes no sense. Why should they?

Again, What?

RO1 didn't have a command radial and it sucked compared to RO2. It ain't broke, don't try and fix it.

It's not instantly, but it sure isn't the slow crap that existed in RO1.... it's perfectly fine the way it is.

Pointless, I do no agree with this idea. They exist as a part of the game and it makes no sense to take it completely out for one game mode. Even more people would stop playing or at least avoid "Realism" servers because there is yet one more element gone or screwed with that takes the fun out of the game.

I don't approve.... if you want a "True Hardcore" mode.... then nobody should have any unlocks or perks, and should be restricted to using the stock weapons given to you at the start of the game.... no bayonets, no scopes, no drum mags... nothing.

Why should Relaxed Realism make you work for these things, while "Hardcore" just spoon feeds you everything without any effort?

They already can type NP to forgive TK's.... it just needs a few tweaks.

ordered)

I have no issue with this.

Which then adds yet another subjective element for people to come into the forums and complain about being too much or too little, or should be removed, etc. etc.... it isn't needed and if it was added, it would need to be of a decent sized impact magnitude to be worth while putting into the game..... and that amount would be almost to the point of RO1 where the player is basically stuck in one spot and thus.... you might as well make it an instant kill and be done with it.

I don't approve.

Again, I don't approve.... you basically want to make RO2 something other than RO2. Stats, Skillpoints and Unlocks are a part of RO2, they're not going anywhere, so deal with it.

Which then makes the squad leader just as useless as he was back in RO1, which means the only good things he has going for him are the SMG, the little extra capping power and the one smoke grenade. Every server I go onto, in most cases, we're still having problems getting people to use the SL class.... this would not promote people into taking the class and in fact would make them desired even less.

WEAPON HANDLING:

I have no opposition to this idea. It can be added or not and I probably wouldn't care.

This does not match what I have personally experienced with using a rifle in real life and with the training provided to me.... I do not approve.

Isn't this the exact same as the above two ideas but more vague?

Reload time is realistic as it currently is.... in the middle of combat, I'm not going to fiddle around & take my time to reload my weapon while appreciating the view. Slowing down the reload is a fake attempt at trying to make the game more difficult and there is no justification for it.

Already presented this idea above.

It is already bobbing around enough when moving..... leave it alone.

I don't understand what you mean by this.... aiming is fine as it currently is. When you aim, moving the mouse is slower than normal..... zooming in slows it down even more.

You can not shoot while running in the game..... accuracy while hipshooting is already at a realistic state. RO1's hip shooting accuracy was rediculously exaggerated.

This isn't needed in the game. At best, have the option to attach or detach a bayonet when selecting class and weapon loadouts..... but having your player being able to attach or detatch while on the battlefield is just eye candy that isn't required.

Weapon sway is already different from crouch to prone.

Fake and not realistic.... melee kills should be related to where you hit your target, regardless of if you hit them from the front or from behind..... I could see this being in relaxed realism, but overall, an arcade feature.

IMMERSION

This already happens due to supression.

Again, this is already in the game.

Again, this already exists in the game due to supression.

Sure why not?

Already exists..... it's the primary element of sound that makes me drop to the ground in game.

Not needed. The sound is fine as it currently is.

They're already loud enough and I can hear plenty of players due to the current sound.

There already are different sounds for different surfaces.

Not needed and I have no interest having it in..... due to many of the other things already in the game, such as supression, wounding/bandaging..... the more you add, the more fake the game will feel.

I thought you already wanted to mute automated voices, yet you want this feature added?

Characters who were wounded in the game already make sounds or voice they're wounded or injured, as well as make random noises of pain.... not needed.

From what I have heard from other members in these forums who actually suffer from this effect constantly in their lives due to the jobs they have..... they don't want this in the game, they don't want a second ringing sound in their ears and I certainly don't want it in the game.

On top of that, you already have your sound distorted from heavy supression, which makes it difficult to hear things clearly.

See above.... some players already suffer from this constantly in their lives and have no interest in having it in the game.... and I agree with them.

I have no objection to this.

To what end result?

Most in real life have the reflex to close their eyes or turn their head away so they don't get crap in their eyes, thus anything that went into your face wouldn't or shouldn't show up on your screen or obscure your vision.

--------------------

There are a couple of ideas I wouldn't have an issue with having in the game, but many of those ideas should be in the game as a whole, not just in one game mode.

Everything else I either oppose or see no need for it in the game.... and if I had to choose between your suggestions above or how the game currently plays, I'd choose how the game currently is without question.

I have been following both RO forums (These and Steam's) and when I read what new players post who just bought the game, the majority of them actually enjoy the game and have loads of fun.

The Game is already appealing to new players..... as someone who has played RO since the mod days, it appeals to me as well.

I agree that there are a few elements of the game that need to be improved upon, such as the ability to choose what things are added to your weapons, fixing the targeting of arty through binocs (where sometimes it doesn't register what you marked or marks way off of what you marked)

But what you are proposing above is basically meant to completely change how RO2 plays and make it either the same as RO1 or worse than RO1 and if you want to do that, I'd suggest you port it into a mod of the game, rather than screwing RO2 up to something you might like at the expense of what everybody else wants RO2 to be.

Yes, many players would like to see some changes to weapon sway, such as if you're injured or ran for a long period of time..... but what you are proposing is overkill and would honestly destroy the game, as well as the enjoyment of the game for many..... thus overall, I oppose 90% of the ideas presented.

Upvote 0
A subjective claim which could be interpreted in a number of ways by a number of different people, thus no point in saying this other than to try and somehow make your opinion more relevant than someone else's.

If I iron sight or crouch, I achieve the exact same end result. Personally speaking, it is not required.

Dude, read my post, it's already in the game. The command is called 'Walking' in the ini file.

Upvote 0
Ability to deploy MG's while crouching behind cover. (Requires new animation.. Kind of like the guy pushing the gun up to the point on how the MG's hold the MG upward while crouched. Same for undeploy)

- atm all MG's have to reveal their upper torso / head to setup their MG and that takes about 2 seconds which sometimes can cause the deadly shot to the head syndrome.

Upvote 0
I'll meet you halfway and say 3-5 seconds... as it stands now, it's only about a second.

That may be alright: The point is that bandaging shouldn't be something that you can do in a matter of a second and then go back to combat like nothing happend. In that way It's better to implement autohealing - because right now, the healing system works like in any other FPS - only diffrence is that it's done manually.

It makes no sense to have Realism mode allow you to bleed out longer than relaxed realism..... Realism bleedout should be no more than 30 seconds. Anything beyond that makes one being shot almost pointless, because in about 1 minute you're normally shot and killed by an MG, or Marksman, or a Tank, etc. etc.

In my opinion it does. If you get shot you wont bleed out in a matter of seconds. IRL it can take even take hours simply because our bodies are not blood fountains. If your injuries affect you, such as decreased running speed, increased weponsway, etc. it will affect the player. Bandaging shouldn't be about restoring health but about surviving. If you don't bandage up at all, the players ability should be affected even more.

Walking may be neccesary if the player want to walk - meaning not crouching or aiming down the sight. Simply walking. I personally use it quite a lot in RO1 especially when I hipshoot.

I do not approve. It helps with the immersion of the game, where RO1 was bland and void of any type of atmosphere besides the automated sound effects off in the distance, which don't seem to be in RO2.

As soon as we move on to other maps this feature will make players reveal their position. The AI shouldn't communicate for you imo, that's the players job.

I don't see any problems with this idea, but 999 minutes?

If it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done. If people want to play one match for a few days they should be allowed to do so.

Strongly disagree and would be out-right PO'd if this was done. You want everybody to wait around in spawn for 1 minute or even longer.... half an hour?

That is completely rediculous and you will turn more players off than you'll attract. I know I would stop playing altogether if that was implimented. I don't play Countdown for a good reason and that's because I want to play a game, not watch others play it.
Secondly, you'd force everybody else into relaxed realism.
Leave the spawn time alone.

If you have a friggin spawn time of 30 minutes, people would leave the server.... they won't sit at their computer staring at a screen for 30 minutes.... most won't even sit there for 1 minute, I know I don't when it comes to Countdown. Also, for a spawn time of 30 minutes, you could wipe out the entire team, toss them all into spawn, and then roll across the map, capping everything without any resistance.

And considering most matches are lucky to last 20 minutes with constant action going on the whole time, once a player was shot, they would never get back in the match.

..... They'd quit before the round was over.
Sorry, but that idea is an Epic Fail.

No. It's up to the server admin. If someone want to create a server, they should be free to set the spawntimer to whatever they want. People that don't like it don't have to play on that particular server. Even if one minute spawntimer is set by default - it can be changed. This is up to the server admin once agian. So it doesn't force anyone at all. And 1 minute spawntimer is nothing - especially NOT if you play the game tactically as it's supposed to - because in that way you will survive for quite a lot longer time.

If I create a server and set the spawntimer to 30 minutes only players that LIKE that kind of gameplay will join. You won't be forced to play at a certain server. It's up to you. You choose the server as now.

It's funny that you're talking about ''being forced'', because right now, most of the RO OST players are forced to super arcade gameplay with absolutely NO OPTION at all, while my suggestion simply gives us the freedom to change it, but you say no.

What? That makes no sense. Why should they?

Because as it is now, you can walk into a capzone and do the most of the job, and then, before the capzone is taken you get killed, and someone that have done absolutely nothing may earn a lot of points. This makes no sense.

Again, What?
RO1 didn't have a command radial and it sucked compared to RO2. It ain't broke, don't try and fix it.
It's not instantly, but it sure isn't the slow crap that existed in RO1.... it's perfectly fine the way it is.

Because the command radial in RO2 looks like a damn console command radial. If RO1 didn't have a command radial you obviously haven't played the game. You press ''V'' to use it by default. It's quite obvious to have a command radial in a tactical game.

Pointless, I do no agree with this idea. They exist as a part of the game and it makes no sense to take it completely out for one game mode. Even more people would stop playing or at least avoid "Realism" servers because there is yet one more element gone or screwed with that takes the fun out of the game.

They do make a lot of sense to remove. If you use cheats as skillpoints, perks, and unlocks, that has nothing to do with Hardcore mode, and not even so much at all with RO. Yet agian, it is YOUR choice if you want to join a realism server or not. No one will be pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to do so. But in your opinion, Red Orchestra, which is meant for a niche audience, should be completely changed into an arcade game that freezez out hardcore gamers?

I don't approve.... if you want a "True Hardcore" mode.... then nobody should have any unlocks or perks, and should be restricted to using the stock weapons given to you at the start of the game.... no bayonets, no scopes, no drum mags... nothing.
Why should Relaxed Realism make you work for these things, while "Hardcore" just spoon feeds you everything without any effort?.

It's the other way around. The reason why there is unlocks, perks, and skillpoints is because TWI wanted the game to appeal to mainstream gamers. RO1 was completely dependent on pure skills and not any cheats such as perks or skillpoints. That's what RO is about, and it SHOULD be an option. 

Which then adds yet another subjective element for people to come into the forums and complain about being too much or too little, or should be removed, etc. etc.... it isn't needed and if it was added, it would need to be of a decent sized impact magnitude to be worth while putting into the game..... and that amount would be almost to the point of RO1 where the player is basically stuck in one spot and thus.... you might as well make it an instant kill and be done with it.

Instant kill or not, players shouldn't have the ability to take bullets and just run like nothing happend.

I don't approve.
Again, I don't approve.... you basically want to make RO2 something other than RO2. Stats, Skillpoints and Unlocks are a part of RO2, they're not going anywhere, so deal with it..

RO's DNA has nothing to do with super arcade gameplay. Yet agian, hardcore mode should be hardcore mode, but you seems to think that RO only should be for COD players, and that it should freeze out hardcore players, while it's perfectly possible to attract both of those audience.

Which then makes the squad leader just as useless as he was back in RO1, which means the only good things he has going for him are the SMG, the little extra capping power and the one smoke grenade. Every server I go onto, in most cases, we're still having problems getting people to use the SL class.... this would not promote people into taking the class and in fact would make them desired even less.

Squadleaders in RO1 could use smoke to cover their team, set waypoints, issue orders where to attack and defend, when to retreat, where to retreat, when to attack.... and they didn't do any good? Squadleaders are useless in RO2 compared to RO1. Squadleaders in RO2 simply works as spawnpoints to promote more forgiving and arcadegameplay.

This does not match what I have personally experienced with using a rifle in real life and with the training provided to me.... I do not approve..

The current weapongameplay of RO2 doesn't match how it was in RO1, and it's far from realistic since it's possible to run and gun. Certain features has to be added, and some removed, in order to make it realistic. For instance, in combat simulator such as arma 2 you can't jump, but that makes it more realistic since players wont be able to bunnyhop which you never do in real combat.

Isn't this the exact same as the above two ideas but more vague?
Reload time is realistic as it currently is.... in the middle of combat, I'm not going to fiddle around & take my time to reload my weapon while appreciating the view. Slowing down the reload is a fake attempt at trying to make the game more difficult and there is no justification for it..

No it isn't. In some cases ww2 soldiers were so scared that they couldn't reload themself. We're talking about a videogame. There are no fear in videogames. Certain thing has to be changed in order to prevent unrealistic behaviour such as quickreloading.

It is already bobbing around enough when moving..... leave it alone.

No it doesn't. In real-life, and especially in wartime, you wont be able to aim down the sight and hold your rifle almost perfectly still. My suggestion is the same as combat military simulators such as Virtual Battlespace 2 portray weaponbobbing.

I don't understand what you mean by this.... aiming is fine as it currently is. When you aim, moving the mouse is slower than normal..... zooming in slows it down even more..

Aiming your weapon in Ro2 feels like you're just moving your mouse. The movement isn't natural. It's robotic. Move the cursor at your screen and it feels the same way as in RO2. Adding a float- and dead zone would make it even more realistic and natural and it would be possible to move your weapon without moving your whole body.

This isn't needed in the game. At best, have the option to attach or detach a bayonet when selecting class and weapon loadouts..... but having your player being able to attach or detatch while on the battlefield is just eye candy that isn't required...

Of course it is. Bayonettes makes you more visible especially when you shoot from windows and it is not needed to have on open fields. You could even do this in RO1. Being able to detach your bayonette is a must.

Weapon sway is already different from crouch to prone.

Yes it is. But when you're doing the movement the weapon sway isn't increased which it should be. When you stand up and aim with a rifle your accuracy will decrease when you do it.

Fake and not realistic.... melee kills should be related to where you hit your target, regardless of if you hit them from the front or from behind..... I could see this being in relaxed realism, but overall, an arcade feature.

It's realistic. Because in RO2 you wont feel any pain; If I use bayonette at someone from behind in real-life he wont just turn around and shot me like nothing happend. This is what will happen in RO2 - which is not realistic at any sense. Therefore, using bayonette at your enemy should cause instant death, and using your rifle butt should make your enemy to fall down.

Not needed. The sound is fine as it currently is.

No it isn't. Sometimes you can barely hear the arillery. IRL you will hear artillery no matter if there is a lot of gunfire or not.

There already are different sounds for different surfaces.

More or less, no they don't. Sometimes you cant even hear (even when its quiet) when someone is running/walking behind you.

Not needed and I have no interest having it in..... due to many of the other things already in the game, such as supression, wounding/bandaging..... the more you add, the more fake the game will feel.

Do you seriously think that it is possible to sprint and get shot by a Kar and just keep on going? No it isn't. And when you get shot, especially when running, you WILL most likely twtich. The reaction to injuries in RO2 is highly unrealistic.

I thought you already wanted to mute automated voices, yet you want this feature added?
Characters who were wounded in the game already make sounds or voice they're wounded or injured, as well as make random noises of pain.... not needed..

There is a diffrence between making sounds because of pain and screaming. Your characters doesn't seems to be very affected by bullet wounds, when in fact, increased breathing often occurs, and being able to sprint like nothing have happend while you have been shot in the leg - and without uttering any sound of pain - is not realistic in any sense.

From what I have heard from other members in these forums who actually suffer from this effect constantly in their lives due to the jobs they have..... they don't want this in the game, they don't want a second ringing sound in their ears and I certainly don't want it in the game..

So do I. That's probably the most stupid argument I've heard; We should't have beeping sounds when you're close to explosions in RO2 BECAUSE some people have a ringing sound in their ears in real life''. Maybe we should remove all flashing effects in RO2 since some people suffer from epilepsy. In that way we should forbid the whole gaming industry since some people suffer from seizure when exposed by certain visual patterns. Makes no sense.

Last edited:
Reactions: Viersbovsky
Upvote 0
Completely agree with you Cyper, and kudos on defending yourself against Praxius...

A few points that really bug me are the limited control a server admin has over his own server, this covers everything from lockdown to respawn time. At least Source engine servers have a huge list of parameters that can be changed at will.

Another thing is those infernal unlocks, they should be removed in a 'hardcore' server and replaced with a 'realistic' weapons list and loadout, with an emphasis on SQUADS rather than the weapon / class system currently thrown on us. This would help teamplay greatly. As for the loadout, a more historically accurate one would be put in it's place with an emphasis on large amounts of rifles and a few MGs, and just a couple of semi autos dotted about (even on a 64 player server). Perhaps more PPSHs for the Russians with a mix of drum magazines and 'stick' magazines. Make it a bit random perhaps, like you carry 4 or 5 mags and 2 of them could be drums, the others couple of 'sticks' or what ever you call 'em.

Also, bayonetts should be carried as standard really but have the option to be taken on / off. And as for normal server, make the unlocks a choice, not a forced addition. I purposefully don't use the MKb42 because i don't want it to be a spear-sniper-assault rifle.

Oh and lastly, recoil, suppression, health / damage system...all needs to be changed for the 'hard core' / 'realism' market.

Upvote 0
That may be alright: The point is that bandaging shouldn't be something that you can do in a matter of a second and then go back to combat like nothing happend. In that way It's better to implement autohealing - because right now, the healing system works like in any other FPS - only diffrence is that it's done manually.

Agreed

In my opinion it does. If you get shot you wont bleed out in a matter of seconds. IRL it can take even take hours simply because our bodies are not blood fountains. If your injuries affect you, such as decreased running speed, increased weponsway, etc. it will affect the player.

True, but I was basing my view on how sometimes in the game currently, you die within a couple of seconds if you don't bandage right away.... if you fix it in Realism but not in Relaxed Realism, then Relaxed Realism becomes harder than Realism and that doesn't make sense. What I meant was that if you're going to tweak this feature, it should be tweaked for both game styles...... but again, the problem isn't in what's realistic, the problem falls under the gameplay.

People don't usually live long enough in the game to actually bleed out like they would in real life, unless they're camping somewhere the whole match. Making the bleed out last as long as you suggest basically defeats the entire purpose of having it in the game because nobody would have to bandage up.

Bandaging shouldn't be about restoring health but about surviving. If you don't bandage up at all, the players ability should be affected even more.

Agreed... I have no issue with simulated damage/injury as described, but bandaging in the game does not restore your health, it prevents you from continuing to lose more health. You could be hit once, wait for a while before you bandage up, and then get hit again and die, but if you bandaged up right away, that second shot might not have killed you because you might have had enough health left to take that hit and thus, have enough time to bandage once more..... but the third hit will be a kill, even if they only shoot your toe off.

Walking may be neccesary if the player want to walk - meaning not crouching or aiming down the sight. Simply walking. I personally use it quite a lot in RO1 especially when I hipshoot.

Well I have no serious objections of this being in the game, but I never used it myself. I just go into Iron Sights and clear rooms that way.... to each their own.

As soon as we move on to other maps this feature will make players reveal their position. The AI shouldn't communicate for you imo, that's the players job.

Perhaps, but this is WWII not a SWAT or a Spec Op..... noise, gunfire, explosions, people shouting & screaming, etc.... are all a part of the environment.

I personally have not experienced myself being exposed to the enemy by my character saying something automated.... you say that as soon as we move onto other maps, this feature will be more noticable.

That might be true and it might not be. If it becomes a serious problem, then I will completely agree with this feature being modified, but perhaps we should cross this bridge when we get there and then suggest ways to modify it, rather than trying to fix something based on what might or might not happen.

I'm not completely opposed to the idea, but I just don't see enough justification to change it now, that's all.

If it's gotta be done, it's gotta be done. If people want to play one match for a few days they should be allowed to do so.

Well all the power to them.... just seemed a bit long of a time range. It doesn't impact my any, so by all means.

No. It's up to the server admin. If someone want to create a server, they should be free to set the spawntimer to whatever they want. People that don't like it don't have to play on that particular server. Even if one minute spawntimer is set by default - it can be changed. This is up to the server admin once agian. So it doesn't force anyone at all. And 1 minute spawntimer is nothing - especially NOT if you play the game tactically as it's supposed to - because in that way you will survive for quite a lot longer time.

I play the game tactically.... I've been playing it like that for 7 years. Sometimes I last for a while, sometimes I am dead within seconds.... crap happens. But I have a major issue of waiting around, sitting at my computer desk, doing absolutely nothing for extended periods of time, when I could either be playing another game or doing something more useful with my time.

30 seconds has generally been my tolerance for waiting around doing nothing..... back in the mod, I enjoyed the map Warsaw, but I completely despised the excessive spawn wait on that map, where it was around 45-60 seconds long, thus I rarely played that map.

The longer the spawn wait, the greater the chance the player in question will begin to not only be taken out of the immersion of the game, but also start to lose interest.

People come in here and complain and wonder why so many people prefer Territory over Countdown, and the general response is because people want to play the game, not sit around doing nothing for 2/3's of their time.

Everybody has good days and bad days when playing RO, I have good days where I might only die a couple of times a match and rarely at spawn.... other days I have a really crappy day and things just don't seem to be going well for me.... add on top of me dying often with sitting around in spawn for 1 minute or longer and that'll just make me turn the game off and go do something else.

Sure it can/is a server side option set by the admin, but that again starts to not just break up servers people have to filter through even more than they already do, but it creates even more work for the player to actually find a server or two that they like and meets their enjoyment.

If I create a server and set the spawntimer to 30 minutes only players that LIKE that kind of gameplay will join. You won't be forced to play at a certain server. It's up to you. You choose the server as now.

With us already trying to filter through Bots, FireFight, Countdown, Territory, Relaxed Realism & Realism servers, now we're going to have to filter through even more servers which have reasonable spawn times..... but how does one go about filtering these unless they first join the server and die once to know how long the time is?

It's just a real pain in the arse and during a time where many are complaining about only finding 3-4 populated servers with decent pings, this will then limit many to probably just 1 server that they like.... or none that they like, and thus.... they're forced to play on servers with half hour respawns..... and I'm sorry, but if that's what my game ends up as, I'll stop playing.

That's the problem I see. If there is a way to resolve these issues, then I'd have no problem with this feature in the game.

If there were many more servers for players to choose from with decent pings, again, I'd have no problem.... but that's not the case. People only have 3-4 decent servers at present. There are piles of other servers to choose from, but their pings are well beyond 200.

It's funny that you're talking about ''being forced'', because right now, most of the RO OST players are forced to super arcade gameplay with absolutely NO OPTION at all, while my suggestion simply gives us the freedom to change it, but you say no.

Most of the "RO OST" players still have RO Ost to play.... with people who currently enjoy RO2 who only have 3-4 decent servers to choose from who then have those 3-4 decent servers switch to rediculous 30 min spawn timers or 1+ min respawns, their options are to play RO1, or RO2 that's just like RO1.... thus no option but to deal with it or stop playing.

If my 4 or so servers I have available to me with decent pings switch over to the above..... I will no longer play.

That's not a threat, that's reality. I want to play a game, not sit around doing nothing.

30 Min spawn timer?

fk that, I could play for a little over a min, get shelled by arty, and then go cook myself something to eat..... and if that's the case, I might as well save my internet bandwidth and quit.

Loads of fun, that sounds.

Or I could just stop playing my favorite game mode, territory.... and go play Countdown.... at least then I have a better chance at playing sooner.... which is pretty damn sad.

Sorry, I still oppose this idea.

I have no issue introducing ideas to please some of the so-called "RO1 Vets".... but seriously, meet people halfway here. You can't expect to have everything you want. I'm happy with how RO2 plays now, but I am willing to accept certain changes to make it better for those who liked some elements of RO1 within reason..... you can not expect me to just shut up agree with everything you say if I find issues with something.

These are serious issues I am presenting. If you can figure out a way to resolve at least some of these issues and show that you are willing to meet halfway, then I will do the same and have no issue with something being changed in the game.

Remember, you asked us for our opinions and I'm giving you mine.

I'm not a Yes man.

Because as it is now, you can walk into a capzone and do the most of the job, and then, before the capzone is taken you get killed, and someone that have done absolutely nothing may earn a lot of points. This makes no sense.

That's the way it has always been in RO.... if you are in the cap zone and your team gets the objective, you get 10 points (older RO's)..... if you are not, them's the breaks.

To meet you halfway, I can understand giving a player in the above situation some amount of points for being in the cap zone if for say, they were in there for 50% of the cap.... but to just hand out freebie points to everybody on your team for a capped objective when you contributed nothing doesn't make any sense.

Players who lay down support for your team outside of the cap zone already get extra points for taking out enemies who are in the cap.... they don't need additional points given to them.

Because the command radial in RO2 looks like a damn console command radial. If RO1 didn't have a command radial you obviously haven't played the game. You press ''V'' to use it by default. It's quite obvious to have a command radial in a tactical game.

I have played the game thank you very much.... I've played all the RO's except the 2k3 mod. RO1 doesn't have a Command "Radial", perhaps you should look up the word to know what it means.

RO1 had a command menu, and while I used it very often, to navigate the RO1 Command Menu, it is much slower than using the current Command Radial in RO2.

Perhaps allow the option in your menu to choose one or the other, but don't replace the current system simply because you don't like how it looks.

I don't care how it looks, I care about how better it works compared to RO1 and having to hit V, then 5, then 1, then 2, then 1 to get all squads to attack an objective...... currently I just hold down my command key and move my mouse.... click.... done.

They do make a lot of sense to remove. If you use cheats as skillpoints, perks, and unlocks, that has nothing to do with Hardcore mode

You have your own subjective view on what's "Hardcore" and hundreds of other people have their own views on what's "Hardcore".... and what are you talking about when you say people who use "Cheats"

What cheats??

and not even so much at all with RO.

Again, sez you.... Tripwire made these things a part of RO. They made the games we have played, they determine what direction it will head and they added unlocks and stats to the game. Many players enjoy and like them being in the game because it gives them something else to work towards.

Making it so that everybody is just handed everything with no work involved on their behalf is what I'd consider a cheat.

Yet agian, it is YOUR choice if you want to join a realism server or not. No one will be pointing a gun at your head and forcing you to do so.

As it currently stands, that's not correct. Again, with the limited amount of servers players have to choose from with decent pings, there is a very good chance people will either be forced to play on servers with settings they don't like, or not to play at all.

Maybe you're currently playing on servers that have settings you don't like.... but what sense does it make to just switch the roles so that you get what you want, and everybody else has to deal with it due to only having a couple of servers to choose from?

Again, if there were dozens of populated low ping servers to choose from, I wouldn't have an issue.... but currently, that is not the case.

But in your opinion, Red Orchestra, which is meant for a niche audience, should be completely changed into an arcade game that freezez out hardcore gamers?

You say it's a niche audience.... You say it's an arcade game. Besides a few extra things showing up on your screen from time to time, it's basically the exact same RO that existed since the mod days and is still far more "Hardcore" than any other FPS out there today.

It's the other way around. The reason why there is unlocks, perks, and skillpoints is because TWI wanted the game to appeal to mainstream gamers.

That's possible, but I'm not going to delve into what other people were thinking or not or the subjective reasons for why Trip did or didn't do something. As it stands, stats and leveling up is the next logical evolution to FPS's to make them continue to be interesting, just as the next logical evolution in FPS's after Wolf3D and Doom was using the mouse and 3D aiming, ie: Quake..... or having MP FPS's move from regular Deathmatch/Team Deathmatch, to Co-Op, Objective based matched, etc.

RO1 was completely dependent on pure skills and not any cheats such as perks or skillpoints. That's what RO is about, and it SHOULD be an option.

You're argument continues to fail when you keep resorting to calling these things "Cheats"

They would be cheats if nobody else could get or use certain elements of a game or if those things game them an advantage over other players. Since every single player can earn these levels and unlocks and since none of these unlocks give anybody an advantage like they do in other games like BF or CoD.... They're not cheats.

You keep talking about what RO is or should be..... clearly you have your view, I have my view, and many more people have many other different views from ours.... so let's try not to try and justify our arguments by saying what we think RO should or shouldn't be.... .it accomplishes nothing.

Instant kill or not, players shouldn't have the ability to take bullets and just run like nothing happend.

Perhaps, but again.... until one finds a decent balance that most will agree with, you will run into the problems I mentioned in my previous post. And until those problems can be decently resolved, it's simply not worth changing to solve one problem, when it can create several other problems.

RO's DNA has nothing to do with super arcade gameplay.

Again, what is "Super Arcade Gameplay?"

That to me means Quake III Arean or UT2004..... or even BF3.... but RO2 doesn't meet any of those levels of Arcade.

You continue to use subjective claims and absolutes to justify your position..... You talk about RO's "DNA"..... again, that's subjective and doesn't help anybody's argument. Many who have played RO since the mod days feel that RO2 goes back to what the Mods tried to accomplish. I know I feel that way, and I feel RO1 was the black sheep of the family. There were many things in RO1 that I didn't like and many of those things you are trying to either bring back into RO2 or bring in even more exaggerated features that are worse than what was in RO1 and bringing them into RO2..... so sorry if I don't agree with those things and sorry if I voice my opposition to those things, but again, you asked and while you may feel strongly about your views..... so do I.

Yet agian, hardcore mode should be hardcore mode, but you seems to think that RO only should be for COD players and that it should freeze out hardcore players, while it's perfectly possible to attract both of those audience.

So now you're going to start calling me a CoD player to try and win the argument?

I hate and despise both CoD and BF..... I play RO for a reason and while those reasons may not be your reasons, they are just as justified as yours or anybody else's.... and if you're going to start trolling by calling me and anybody else who doesn't agree with you "CoD Players", then don't expect this conversation to progress very well.

I'm not about to take the bait, so let's continue to try and agree, disagree or try to meet each other halfway by finding compromises and resolve issues with your ideas in order to apease everybody on both sides of the argument, shall we?

Squadleaders in RO1 could use smoke to cover their team, set waypoints, issue orders where to attack and defend, when to retreat, where to retreat, when to attack.... and they didn't do any good? Squadleaders are useless in RO2 compared to RO1. Squadleaders in RO2 simply works as spawnpoints to promote more forgiving and arcadegameplay.

Tit for Tat..... I can present the exact same argument to you by defending SL's in RO2 and trivialize the RO1's.

The SL's in RO2 can do all of the above you just described, but also have the additional feature of being able to have team mates spawn on them, which gives them a bit more of an importance on the battlefield than they had in RO1.

I already said that RO1 SL's had smoke, SMG's, additional capping power and it's obvious they can set rally points, arty, orders, etc.... that's common sense. What I was trying to relate to was how so few people in RO2 seem to choose the SL class.... taking that away will not give players anymore incentive to take that class, thus the chance of even fewer people picking it.

Solve that problem and I have no issue. Personally speaking, I don't normally spawn on the SL anyways.... I might have done it once since the beta, but I do see the value of this feature.

The current weapongameplay of RO2 doesn't match how it was in RO1,

And RO1 doesn't match how it was in the Mods.

and it's far from realistic since it's possible to run and gun. Certain features has to be added, and some removed, in order to make it realistic. For instance, in combat simulator such as arma 2 you can't jump, but that makes it more realistic since players wont be able to bunnyhop which you never do in real combat.

Baseless argument since bunny hopping doesn't exist in RO anyways, and was something specifically designed out of RO when the mod came out.

I personally don't care what it was like in RO1 because RO1 was completely unrealistic and inaccurate with how weapons are truly handled. Myself and many other players in these forums have noted their own personal, 1st hand experience with using firearms, including WWII firearms, and all, including myself, have stated just how crappy RO1's weapon physics were.

The weapon physics in RO1 were based on how the Dev's handled the weapons, while in RO2, from what I heard, they got fully trained soldiers to use the weapons as they should have been used and based the RO2 weapon physics on that.

You talk about what's realistic and that it's not realistic to run and gun..... running and shooting a gun while running is possible in real life, it's just not very effective and not very wise to do, so I don't know what you're talking about.

No it isn't. In some cases ww2 soldiers were so scared that they couldn't reload themself.

So you want to start randomly simulating an artificial script to make players turn into cowards or add artifical sway?

We're talking about a videogame.

Exactly.... a Video Game.... Not some Military Combat Simulator. Video games are supposed to be fun and entertaining, not mundane programs people spend more time trying to use effectively only to end up sitting in a spawn for 30 minutes doing nothing because they didn't do something right or were randomly hit by arty.

There are no fear in videogames. Certain thing has to be changed in order to prevent unrealistic behaviour such as quickreloading.

It's not Quick Reloading.... it's Normal Reloading and reloading your weapon isn't rocket science and it's something a monkey should be able to do..... which means a fully trained & experienced soldier should do even better than a monkey.

Fear in Video Games? You're never going to impliment fear of any kind in a video game unless you figure out how to send electrical shocks to the players through the mouse & keyboard.... all you are suggesting is to include yet more arcadey simulated script to fake people into being afraid, when in reality they're not going to be afraid, they're going to be annoyed and PO'd because they got shot by someone with an MKB42 halfway across the map simply because his character was fiddling too long with his clip.

And you call that "Hardcore" or "Realistic?"

I call that fake, cheap and annoying.

No it doesn't. In real-life, and especially in wartime, you wont be able to aim down the sight and hold your rifle almost perfectly still.

You know this..... How?

My suggestion is the same as combat military simulators such as Virtual Battlespace 2 portray weaponbobbing.

Again.... this is a video game, not a military combat simulator.... it's meant to be fun and if you want all of this in the game to make it into a combat simulator, perhaps you're playing the wrong game.

Aiming your weapon in Ro2 feels like you're just moving your mouse. The movement isn't natural. It's robotic. Move the cursor at your screen and it feels the same way as in RO2. Adding a float- and dead zone would make it even more realistic and natural and it would be possible to move your weapon without moving your whole body.

Geez.... of course it feels like you're moving a mouse.... that's what you're doing. Adding any of the above doesn't make it any different.... you're still moving your mouse with your hand, only now it's slower and delayed because of this "Float/Dead" zones, which then means my reaction time isn't what I'm used to in real life and I then have to increase my mouse sensitivity to compensate, thus canceling out what you are trying to accomplish.

Me being in Iron Sights in RO2 and moving my mouse with my wrist or fingers for an accurate shot is very similar to me moving my wrists or forearms to adjust the aim of the rifle in my hands..... unless you decide to have a rifle in your actual hands that you can plug into the computer via a USB port, you're never going to make it not feel like you're moving a mouse in your hand.

Of course it is. Bayonettes makes you more visible especially when you shoot from windows and it is not needed to have on open fields. You could even do this in RO1. Being able to detach your bayonette is a must.

Then again, have the option to remove or add them in the loadout screen. This feature in RO1 was pretty useless for the majority of players, as I've always seen the same players either with the bayos on the whole time or off the whole time..... when I spawned, I automatically attached the bayonet and left it there until I died, which I just reattached again when I spawned.... RO2 as it is just saved me the bother of doing this.

And a bayonet doesn't make you that much more visible from windows, especially at a distance.

I don't personally care if the option is added into the game (attatch/detatch in-game) but I don't see it as an important thing the devs need to work on at this stage. Out of all of the suggestions mentioned in this thread, this is the least important issue.

Yes it is. But when you're doing the movement the weapon sway isn't increased which it should be. When you stand up and aim with a rifle your accuracy will decrease when you do it.

Oh, do you mean when you're iron sighted in crouch, remain Iron Sighted when moving to standing and there isn't a shift between transitions?

Sure add a sway during that transition, I have no issue with that.... but there is a difference in sway between crouch and standing positions, in that the sway while standing is greater.... although not super great, but with my experience, it's realistic.

It's realistic. Because in RO2 you wont feel any pain; If I use bayonette at someone from behind in real-life he wont just turn around and shot me like nothing happend.

If you shove a bayonet into my arm, leg or the side of my back, I'm gonna feel pain and by reflex of simply wanting to live, I'm going to turn around as quickly as possible and shot or stab you.

If you hit me square in the back or in the head, I'm going to die and have no time to turn around.... but this already happens in RO2 as I have done it countless times already.

If I come up behind you and stab you in the leg or arm and that causes me to insta kill you.... sorry, but I'd feel that was a very cheap kill because it shouldn't have killed you and you should have at least a chance to try and fight back before I stabbed you again.

If you are not killing your enemy with one hit from behind with the Bayonet, then you need to aim better.

This is what will happen in RO2 - which is not realistic at any sense. Therefore, using bayonette at your enemy should cause instant death, and using your rifle butt should make your enemy to fall down.

Clubbed with the weapon from behind making someone fall down.... I can agree with that and would be neat to have in game..... but I still can not agree with an instant kill with the bayonet from behind.

Compromise:

A hit with the bayonet from behind does not produce an instant kill, but causes a slow death where the player fades to black and dies..... due to the fact the fade out death doesn't allow you to turn around very fast and your accuracy is greatly deminished, this would allow you to get that fatal stab you need from behind, but also still give the other player a slight chance at doing something.

No it isn't. Sometimes you can barely hear the arillery. IRL you will hear artillery no matter if there is a lot of gunfire or not.

I am not sure what you are talking about.... in every map I have been in, I can easily hear the arty, even if it's on the other side of the map.... gunfire or none.

More or less, no they don't. Sometimes you cant even hear (even when its quiet) when someone is running/walking behind you.

I usually hear the foot steps, the jungle of their equipment on their uniform, them talking, their weapon, and/or the peripheral view notifications.... I hear when they walk on glass, metal, tiles, dirt, etc.... I have plenty to help me know where an enemy is..... But I am not completely against the idea of increasing the sounds a bit more, however it will need to be tested in Beta first to make sure it's not too drastic in that it ruins overall gameplay.

Do you seriously think that it is possible to sprint and get shot by a Kar and just keep on going? No it isn't.

Depends on where you were shot..... yes it is possible. If I am shot in the hand, arm or non vital area and not in my legs, I still have the ability to use those legs to gtfo there.

If you're hit in the leg, then I completely understand doing something about that.

And when you get shot, especially when running, you WILL most likely twtich. The reaction to injuries in RO2 is highly unrealistic.

Twitching while being shot while still running isn't going to stop you from running.... of course unless it was a fatal wound or you were hit in the leg somewhere.

You talk about realism, so let's stick to realism shall we? If you are shot in the leg, have yourself slow or even drop to the ground.... I can live with that, but being shot in the arms shouldn't slow you down at all.... and since fatal wounds already either kill you or produce a slow death, which already stops you from moving, that's not an issue. Being hit in the arm can or should compromise your ability to use your weapon, but that's another subject elsewhere in the topic and shouldn't slow you down while running.

There is a diffrence between making sounds because of pain and screaming.

However some people react to pain differently than other people. Some will cry and scream, other's will grunt or moan.... others will just grit their teeth and make little noise.

How do you determine who does what at what stage?

Your characters doesn't seems to be very affected by bullet wounds, when in fact, increased breathing often occurs, and being able to sprint like nothing have happend while you have been shot in the leg - and without uttering any sound of pain - is not realistic in any sense.

Compromise:

If you are shot in the leg and it is not a mortal wound, it is more likely to be similar to a flesh wound and at the worst, you can still move at a somewhat decent speed, but the screen simulates you hobbling and one could also reduce the amount of stamina you have.

I've broken a toe before, which isn't the worst injuries out there in the world, but because I couldn't put it in a cast due to missing too much work, I had to let it heal on it's own which took almost a year. I was in pain and from time to time I cringed here and there depending on what I did.... but it wasn't constantly all the time..... so one needs to know how often the character makes the pain sounds without it being as annoying as how you feel the current automated voices are.

So do I. That's probably the most stupid argument I've heard;

Well you're the first person who has this issue who stated otherwise.... and personally speaking from my viewing of other people's comments on this subject, they're the majority, you're the minority. Let's keep in mind that people who do have this condition have varrying levels of this they're dealing with.... some worse than you and some less than you.

I personally don't care either way if it was added in the game, but if it is something that is a serious concern or bother to some people, then I prefer to side with them more than someone who just wants some fancy sound effects in the game.

We should't have beeping sounds when you're close to explosions in RO2 BECAUSE some people have a ringing sound in their ears in real life''. Maybe we should remove all flashing effects in RO2 since some people suffer from epilepsy.

What flashing effects?

In that way we should forbid the whole gaming industry since some people suffer from seizure when exposed by certain visual patterns. Makes no sense.

Actually most in the gaming industry either issue warnings to their customers about these things being in the game, or they modify it in a way that either removes the problem or greatly reduces it.

And sorry, but seizures are not the same as what we're talking about.

I'm trying to have a somewhat serious discussion with you and trying to take your ideas and arguments seriously. If you're going to continue to trivialize (the above) exaggerate (what's realistic and what's arcadey) or troll (calling myself and others CoD Players)...... then don't expect my next post to be so friendly.

My personality is geared towards presenting ideas and working on ideas, but mostly, I focus on possible problems in ideas so that they can be resolved before they're put into action. If I don't see problems with something, then I have no issue with it and might actually even enjoy it. If I see problems arise from a specific Idea, I mention those problems so they're addressed now, rather than being addressed after the fact when those problems created a huge mess.

I agree with a few of the things you have posted, and I think some of them will be a good addition to the game, but there are others that I feel will cause a serious problem down the road.

There are only one or two of your ideas I outright oppose, while the others have issues that need compromise or additional features added to them to reduce possible problems later on.

I'm trying to be constructive to your ideas, I'm even trying to meet you in the middle of the road with some of them..... but I have yet to see you even bother to show the same level of respect or contribution.

I understand there are players who want things closer to RO1, but I also understand there are other players who prefer RO2 as it is.... I also understand the current state the game is in, in regards to the community population and the selection of available servers, which for many is quite limited. I'm trying to balance all of these aspects, but from what I gather from your posts, you're more interested in simply what you want and what you like & to hell with everybody else..... you're trying to defend all your ideas to the death without compromise or showing some level of understanding on what will happen to the overall game & community.... which is my primary concern.

Most of the above ideas are things that should either be in all game modes or not at all.

Some of your ideas I can see many people who current enjoy RO2 as is, will learn to enjoy and have fun with.... I might as well..... but what you propose are a lot of huge changes to how the game currently plays all at once.

If you want all of those features in the game, then it should be done in a slow transition or a couple of features at a time to give everybody from all walks of life a chance to try them out and get used to them, as well as work out any bugs that arise. To throw all of the above in at once will basically create an entirely different game, new players are going to get confused, old players are going to get annoyed and the amount of possible bugs to deal with at once will be tremendous.

When the Mod first came out, it hardly had anything in it except infantry, and then they started adding a couple of things into the game at a time, so they could get feed back from the community, as well as test them and focus on making them perfect or removing them completely.... then they moved onto the next idea and repeated.

Another big problem I see is that currently when browsing for servers realism and relaxed don't seem to be filtered very well in my browser...... or maybe I missed the filter setting *shrugs* I am bouncing between both Relaxed and Realism..... and if you make this Hardcore game style, it will be mixed with the other two and due to being so drastically different from the other two, new players (especially) are going to get screwed up real bad and will be trying to learn 2-3 different ways of playing one game mode, such as Territory.

The logical solution to please everybody is to not focus this "Hardcore" as something like Realism or Relaxed Realism...... it should be made into it's own complete game mode like Territory, Countdown or FireFight..... call it "Combat Simulator" or "CS" and you'll get what you want in the game, others will keep what they like in the game, people's limited server selection shouldn't be impacted as badly, it'll keep things less confusing.... and everybody wins. :cool:

Reactions: Cyper and aD.Luoson
Upvote 0
Just to bounce back on this topic and to further clarify my position on these changes (for those who don't want to read the extended version above) if you make this into a different game mode like FF, CD and TE..... CS "Combat Simulator" it should please everybody who wants more of these elements in the game and keep the server browsers cleaner for everybody who filter game modes.

In other words, for those who want this type of gameplay, they can filter it into their server browser and not have to sift through a bunch of Relaxed Realism & Realism Servers to find what they want, while those wanting the later don't have to sort through this new game mode if they don't like it, and everybody gets what they want.

CS would be something like Territory, but I'd probably modify it a bit to be it's own unique game style.

Then again, the problem is that you're stuck with just one game mode in this game mode and thus, if you wanted these features in FF or CD, it's not there.....

..... Mutator.

Note on the server's name that it has the mutator and all problems are solved.

Reactions: aD.Luoson
Upvote 0
Just to bounce back on this topic and to further clarify my position on these changes (for those who don't want to read the extended version above) if you make this into a different game mode like FF, CD and TE..... CS "Combat Simulator" it should please everybody who wants more of these elements in the game and keep the server browsers cleaner for everybody who filter game modes.

In other words, for those who want this type of gameplay, they can filter it into their server browser and not have to sift through a bunch of Relaxed Realism & Realism Servers to find what they want, while those wanting the later don't have to sort through this new game mode if they don't like it, and everybody gets what they want.

CS would be something like Territory, but I'd probably modify it a bit to be it's own unique game style.

Then again, the problem is that you're stuck with just one game mode in this game mode and thus, if you wanted these features in FF or CD, it's not there.....

..... Mutator.

Note on the server's name that it has the mutator and all problems are solved.

By reading your text I've noticed that you simply have a totally diffrent view on this game. Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad is a sequel to Red Orchestra: Ostfront 41-45 since It's the name is exactly the same. This means that RO2 is a spiritual successor to RO ost. By comparing the gameplay in those two games I've made the conclusion that the changes in the gameplay mechanics in RO2 begs the question whenever RO2 is a spiritual successor to RO OST.

''A spiritual successor, sometimes called a spiritual sequel or a companion piece, is a successor to a work of fiction which does not directly build upon the storyline established by a previous work as do most traditional prequels or sequels, but nevertheless features many of the same elements, themes, and styles as its source material.'' - Wikipedia

We can all say that most of the features added in RO2 and regarding the game machanics in the game, it doesn't have much resemblence to the orginal Red Orchestra. Therefore, RO2 is not a complete sequel.

Now, here is the thing.

If Red Orchestra: Heroes of Stalingrad was called something else - such as World at war: heroes of stalingrad - I would consider most of the games features as great and I would rate the game higher. But since the game is called Red Orchestra this means that it is supposed to be a sequel. A spiritual successor to the first and orginal game. This means that I - and most people on this board and outside it - has certain expectations. It's very obvious that people expected RO2 to be exactly that - a SEQUEL - unfortunately, a lot of people complain about this.

It seems that you don't like the fact that I give suggestions about making the game more Hardcore - despite the fact that I say It's just for the Hardcore Mode. Bear in mind that this game didn't even have anything else than Hardcore mode in the very beginning. Be glad about that. Now, I don't give a **** about casual gamers.

I don't give a **** if my opinions doesn't fit into what 90% of all gamers think. I don't care If I belong to this minority that want to keep games to the Hardcore side of things. Especially not games that are SUPPOSED to be like that. If people don't want RO2 to remove the arcade crap, and move in line to where it is supposed to stand, they can leave the board. Any suggestion to move the game into the mainstream - goodbye, leave. Those people shouldn't be here since the game is not for them.Those people have hundreds of games to choose from that looks and plays exactly the same while games like RO barely exist. If I were on the BF or COD board moaning about how unrealistic it was no one would say ''Yeah, you're right, let's make a real Hardcore mode''. Simply because those games are not about this. They keep in line with what they are.

The whole purpose is that this game should keep in line with the orginal game. It didn't do that completely. If you have doubts spend five minutes reading through complaints at the board. Tripwire dod sold some people out and gave the false expectations to this game. The purpose of any sequel is to be just that - a SEQUEL - and if it moves away from It's orginal direction it loses it's meaning to why it was created in the first place.

It's even irony that we're discussing whenever these changes should be added to the Hardcore mode. RO2 should only have one mode - Hardcore - and those who don't like it can leave.

The direction of spiritual successor not negotiable.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I do like some of your ideas, Cyper, these are not "fixes". To call them fixes is to imply that something isn't working as the developers intended and I simply don't see that being the case. These are major alterations to gameplay elements that you don't care for, which is all well and good, but you're doing yourself and your ideas a disservice by misrepresenting these ideas as "fixes".

That said, this sounds more like a mod than anything else, to me. You say that you want everyone to be happy with the game but go on to defend taking away the game that many of us are really happy with and replacing it with what you want. I don't think this is the right answer. With your ideas implemented in a mod everyone has the choice of playing the way they prefer, whether that be your way or the way the game exists today.

Reactions: Cpt-Praxius
Upvote 0
In my opinion, these are fixes for the Realism Mode. Actually we are too far from RO1, in Standard mode or Realism mode. And lots of people can't accept that.

Why not make the Realism mode something between RO2 now and RO1 ?
I wouldn't like a big recoil for all weapons, no! but a realistic reload time, realistic damages (In legs and hands for example), difficulties to aim after running or up, et cetera...

Upvote 0