• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Enemy Movement Sounds

On the left replica German "Marschstiefel" (Jackboots) on the right real ones with rusty Hob-nails
jackboot%20sole.jpg

Upvote 0
You know what is even more annoying, when you are in ambuilding, like the Grain Elevator, you have no idea if the fighting is going on on your floor, the floor above your or below you, this seems to mostly end up in teamkilling seeing you see your teammate just die in the deatmessages by the hand of the enemy and storm inside to revenge his death only to spray down a friendly aiming at you... :(

You are in a concrete building and every thing sounds like you got paper mache walls.

Upvote 0
THIS has happened to me quite a lot. I also cant say I haven't used it to my advantage many times as well. The thing that really irks me is that the sounds of my own character seem to come from behind me. Making me paranoid as hell :eek:

I exactly know what you mean. This status quo irks me a lot too. The first times palying RO2 I always thought "****, is someone behind me?"
Sounds from your own movement seem to be some kind of "delayed" ...

I think my 120

Last edited:
Upvote 0
this game uses the XAudio 2 sound engine. designed for XBOX, completely software and uses no processing power of ANY sound cards. please ref http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showthread.php?t=67839

Interesting... now I'm not sure if you know this or not, but wouldn't the CPU perform most of the sound processing, then send the result to the sound card which can then further alter/improve/post-process this before finally outputting in the format of your choice(depending on speaker setup)?

I most certainly have noticed an improvement in positional audio, which I chalk all of that up to X-Fi "CMSS-3D". I can now tell if a sound is coming from behind, the front, the side and even above or below thanks to this tech. Sound card post-processing is definitely at work.

Now I'm curious about how exactly a sound file goes from raw/compressed file to sound engine, to CPU, to sound card, to DAC/receiver(optional) to speakers.

Upvote 0
Interesting... now I'm not sure if you know this or not, but wouldn't the CPU perform most of the sound processing, then send the result to the sound card which can then further alter/improve/post-process this before finally outputting in the format of your choice(depending on speaker setup)?

I most certainly have noticed an improvement in positional audio, which I chalk all of that up to X-Fi "CMSS-3D". I can now tell if a sound is coming from behind, the front, the side and even above or below thanks to this tech. Sound card post-processing is definitely at work.

Now I'm curious about how exactly a sound file goes from raw/compressed file to sound engine, to CPU, to sound card, to DAC/receiver(optional) to speakers.

That is just in your head. CMSS makes a 2 channel source (stereo) into a multi-channel sound. So from 2 speakers into more.
It doesn't magically make sounds coming from certain directions.
CMSS is just illusionary multi-channel.

http://www.creative.com/products/speakers/tech/?id=62790

Upvote 0
THIS has happened to me quite a lot. I also cant say I haven't used it to my advantage many times as well. The thing that really irks me is that the sounds of my own character seem to come from behind me. Making me paranoid as hell

This drives me nuts. I'm so used to relying on sound in other games to help track players and keep myself alive. I hate the fact that the slightest movement on my part, even prone, sounds like footsteps behind me but an enemy can run down the hall, into the room I'm in and the first evidence of their presence is their rifle butt on my skull.... :mad:

Upvote 0
I think they 'tweaked' RO2 to play less sounds a few patches back. That's a way to up performance, especially since it's XAudio 2 sound engine.

TWI should add support for the OpenAL sound engine so that people can benefit from good gaming soundcards again.
They've been "improving" performance through these short cuts for a while now - first they downgraded graphics on maps with bricks laying around on the ground now they downgrade the sound. I have a pretty damn good sound card and the sound in this game is complete rubbish, I don't even put my headphones on because it's useless as I can't actually locate enemies by sound like in any other game. At this point all I am really enjoying is the gameplay - the graphics and sound are so inferior that I don't know if this would be good even at half life 2's release.

Upvote 0