• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Change spawning in terrirtory mode

Holy.Death

Grizzled Veteran
Sep 17, 2011
This conversation made me think:

Holy.Death said:
In RL people tend to be less risky with their own life (maybe because they have only one), that's the first reason why they run for cover instead of standing still and aiming at the enemy.
Right!

So how can we force the player to act that way?

CD mode is a good answer, but by now it's only a rush game...
People don't care about their lifes, because they know they'll respawn soon. How to make them care? Change spawning. How? Remove spawn time altogether. Force commander will be able to release another spawn wave - it'll be a lot more tactical decision to force spawn once most of the guys are dead and since you'll have to wait 2/3 minutes to spawn...

What do you think?

People don't care about their lifes, because they know they'll respawn soon. How to make them care? Change spawning. How? Remove spawn time altogether. Force commander will be able to release another spawn wave - it'll be a lot more tactical decision to force spawn once most of the guys are dead and since you'll have to wait 2/3 minutes to spawn...

What do you think?

I think it'd be time for me to find another game. While I certainly appreciate the goal of encouraging people to play more tactically, I don't think forcing people to watch more than they play is a good move for the overall health of the game. I also think this is why Territory is far more popular than Countdown. Not that CD isn't a good game mode, but it's boring as hell to have to sit and watch other people play the game when you're unable to.

No matter how tactically you play, there will always be someone who takes you out. There's simply far too many sight lines to cover and there's always someone who can pull aim faster so death will come. I don't personally want to sit around for 3-5 minutes when it does.

Upvote 0
Don't get the thing.
Why Countdown is bad now?
Don't like to wait? Do not die in first 30 seconds.
If you have too many dead comrades - commander will force to respawn you.
If not - then its 2 cases: 1. you have bad commander (vote for changing the role), 2. your team is already capturing the objective.

We have to wait a while to have Countdown modes of maps tweaked, to have it balanced.

Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0
On the point of CD being a rush right now, I would think the solution to that would be to make the timers longer and have the attackers start farther away.
Not only further away, but in cover. I have bad memories of spawning as a Russian in the open in Fallen Fighters, while Germans are inside a building and just a sprint away from the windows.

Upvote 0
I'm not really careful with my (RO2) life because its too easy to die, I'd rather take chances and try to sprint through open field to get to cap zone where I can go CQC with enemy rather than crawl carefully only to be oneshotted by some camper using megafocus zoom.

The reason for that is that whenever I hear a bullet impact near me I dive for cover, that looks like I care for my life, but the deal is that usually I dont hear sound impact, usually I just drop dead without even knowing that there was enemy somewhere (near respawn for example, pretty sweet gameplay that is).

Increasing spawn timer will only lead to more camping, people will avoid attacking because they will not want to wait for spawn. And camping is already bad with dark german clothing and buildings and focus megazoom. Also camping creates more camping as its hard to kill campers so people do so themselves.

So to make people care for their lives you need to reduce camping (=reduce megazoom), reduce accuracy (zoom might be enough and, if not, weapon (read solder) accuracy, especially when under fire. Also lining up sights) so player could at least try to save his *** instead of just diing. And make unlethal wounds effect players more (a little less if bandaged) so a leg shot will stop any rusher, arms damage reduce its accuracy and any other wound to reduce overall effectiveness (suppression resitance - you dont want to get hurt again, speed - you dont want your wound to bleed so you run slower, etc). This way people should care about being shot because otherwise they'll be less effective. And to counter die-to-heal-all-wounds thing, make morale (kills, capping zones and other stuff) to heal player very very little and reduce debuffs caused by wounds (solder with good morale will ignore his wounds and try his best to achieve victory which will allow him to rest and heal his wounds).

Thats wot I think...

p.s. In addition to care for ones own life, IRL solders didnt have training we have in game (with mouse and lots of free time). Also, battlefield has tought them how to survive and then kill, games teach to kill and then... screw survive, like anyone cares.

Last edited:
Reactions: Meismenotyou
Upvote 0
Problem is I'm forced not to care for my life if you want my team to win.
I have to rush and try to kill as many enemies as possible.
It is better to die 10 times and kill 5 enemies than die 1 time and kill 3 enemies.
If you die - your ability to kill enemies is not decreased.
You start to kill them again in few seconds.
And you decide if you want to care for your life or not by choosing mode of game.
Countdown or Territory.

Example:
I play 6 vs 6 on Station map Territory mode.
I'm defending in the middle of first objective between railroad cars.
I see 3 germans on the same objective, but don't have visual contact.
Now I'm forced to leave my defensive position and start to Search and Destroy tactic with higher risk to die.
This is unrealistic and kills all my effort about finding good defensive position.
Objective is so huge so it is not possible to stop enemies from comming to it.
Especially when you are unable to quickly tell where capture area ends.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

What do you think?

And who does this if nobody picks the commander class?

And what do we do if the Commander we have is an idiot and doesn't know how?

Are we supposed to wait in spawn until they die and realize they're supposed to spawn people.... which by that time the battles already lost?

What if the idiot Commander at the time decides he prefers a countdown style TE match and decides to not spawn anybody?

I'm sure there's a dozen more examples out there that could clearly explain why the above suggestion is a bad one.

And telling people they can just vote kick isn't a solution, because it is yet one more problem created that players have to deal with because of this idea, because then you have to get the right amount of people to vote them out, which can take even longer, then someone has to jump into the commander slot and if someone doesn't like what they're doing, they're voted out.... and so on.

... And if the vote fails?

Might as well just quit the game.

And if it succeeds?

Then you have players coming in here and complaining about getting kicked from the game and demanding more changes.

All because a couple of people are trying to force other players to play the game the way they want?

Me thinks not.

Sure you'll get Commanders who will know what to do and click the spawn as soon as it's ready..... but % wise, people are going to experience more screwed up matches and get PO'd then there will be people who have an enjoyable game that doesn't revolve around 1 player on your team.

Don't get the thing.
Why Countdown is bad now?
Don't like to wait? Do not die in first 30 seconds.
If you have too many dead comrades - commander will force to respawn you.
If not - then its 2 cases: 1. you have bad commander (vote for changing the role), 2. your team is already capturing the objective.

We have to wait a while to have Countdown modes of maps tweaked, to have it balanced.

And to deal with all that BS, along with all the other BS I previously mentioned..... is somehow better than dealing with a couple of clowns on your team who don't know what they're doing and who have less of an impact on your overall game compared to the above?

No thanks.

New players to the game will be joining in and wondering wtf is going on..... they didn't pay to watch a video 90% of the time like a CoD Single Player, and I sure as hell know I didn't and that's why I don't play Countdown.

I just left playing RO2 before these posts when the TE map I was playing on switched to a CD map.... I played a round and didn't die..... next round I died in about 40 seconds and couldn't be bothered to wait around for 2 minutes or more until the next round and quit.

I know plenty of people like Countdown, and I wouldn't suggest anything in the world to change it into something I like.... because I know people enjoy that style of gameplay.

I like TE just as it is right now..... why do people always have to be a buzz kill with my TE and are constantly wanting to change it or add countdown features or BFBC2 Conquest features?

You guys make baby Ewoks cry. :(

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vesper11 said:
So to make people care for their lives you need to reduce camping (=reduce megazoom), reduce accuracy (zoom might be enough and, if not, weapon (read solder) accuracy, especially when under fire. Also lining up sights) so player could at least try to save his *** instead of just diing.
1. "Megazoom" is not "megazoom". Even ARMA 2 (considered to be hardcore realism game by many players) allows you to "zoom" your view in. What is the real problem? Maps in Red Orchestra 2 are not tiny (agreed, they aren't gigantic too), but people are directed into combat the way that engagements above 300 meters happen very rarely (spawn points are not stationary).

2. Reducing accuracy on a weapon is bad idea. We should consider increasing sway (and not overexaggerate it, too) rather than artificially mess with weapon accuracy. Making RO2 into RO:OST 2 is not making in any more realistic.

Cpt-Praxius said:
All because a couple of people are trying to force other players to play the game the way they want?

Me thinks not.

I am for making this one optional, a possibility for those who would like to play it that way.

I put my idea on these forums to let the people know what I think and to gain some intel in return. Nobody is "trying to force other players to play the game the way they want". Discuss the idea, please, instead of guessing about the intention which is both wrong and pointless.

Cpt-Praxius said:
Sure you'll get Commanders who will know what to do and click the spawn as soon as it's ready..... but % wise, people are going to experience more screwed up matches and get PO'd then there will be people who have an enjoyable game that doesn't revolve around 1 player on your team.
Isn't it the people's problem, not the class/game design problem then?

Now, I am truly sorry for making this a bit of personal, but... I saw your posts on these forums (good posts, I have to say) and you were pointing out that when people are using a weapon or class in a wrong way then it's not problem of the game, but the people.

How is this one different? If your commander has no idea what he is doing then voting him over or kicking him (which, in theory, should be possible to be done) will leave his slot open for someone who knows how important this class is.

Cpt-Praxius said:
You guys make baby Ewoks cry.
Let's pretend that we are civilized people and keep the discussion as such.

Upvote 0
I'm not really careful with my (RO2) life because its too easy to die, I'd rather take chances and try to sprint through open field to get to cap zone where I can go CQC with enemy rather than crawl carefully only to be oneshotted by some camper using megafocus zoom.

^^^ +1
Like Vesper said, i can either take the long road, of crawling around the back to flank the enemy, resulting in me being useless for sometimes 3-4 minutes of the game... and then be shot by a lucky camper who was waiting for me there... Or i can take a chance, and sprint from cover to cover, being more exposed for longer periods but presenting a harder target, due to faster more irradical movement.
He who doesn't risk - doesn't celebrate.

And to the points people make of "just being an idiot and rushing in"... How do you picture it happening? People slowly moving across a courtyard that is filled with bogeys?
Take Danzig (Appartments) for example, Russians have to get into the courtyard from the start. You want them to slowly crawl in there with German soldiers covering just about every inch of that yard with crossfire? Come on, be realistic... In WWII, in Stalingrad battles, the multi-million loss of lives didnt happen because of people slowly walking around.... They were charging at each other.... It was a lemming rush, as someone earlier called. You're forgetting the fact that we're:
a. playing a game
b. playing a 'balanced' scaled game

Meaning you dont have the scenarios of "reality" with 100 people attacking a building where only 20 people are sitting. We get the so called "reinforcements... And while yes, it's harder to stop 3 waves of enemy, i'd imagine it would be harder to stop one wave of 3x the numbers

my $0.02

Upvote 0
1. "Megazoom" is not "megazoom". Even ARMA 2 (considered to be hardcore realism game by many players) allows you to "zoom" your view in. What is the real problem? Maps in Red Orchestra 2 are not tiny (agreed, they aren't gigantic too), but people are directed into combat the way that engagements above 300 meters happen very rarely (spawn points are not stationary).

2. Reducing accuracy on a weapon is bad idea. We should consider increasing sway (and not overexaggerate it, too) rather than artificially mess with weapon accuracy. Making RO2 into RO:OST 2 is not making in any more realistic.
Either its soldier accuracy or megazoom, human factor or lasting injuries, as long as diing will be as easy as it is and with no chances for the prey to help itself survive there's not much you can do to make people more careful. Reducing soldier accuracy is a good idea, read some of Jippofin's posts, he made some really good points there. We have a clone army from star wars movie, soldiers know no fear, no exhaustion, no death. There's something very unrealistic about it, dont you think? Megazoom nerf doesnt sound that bad if it makes game more playable (less campier too).

Speaking of which, megazoom only makes things worse as its hard to see enemy while running from objective to objective, its not about "what it looks like IRL" (and its actually zoom, so no), its about one person camping and safely shooting another who cant see him because he cant use zoom while running for his life. Or, at least, people dont have a whole day to scan each inch of every building with zoom to see if there is enemy there, enemy that watches a single road with his zoom camping and killing with no such problems.

You can increase sway but with a bit of reflexes I'll easily correct it with my mouse. It might throw my aim off a bit but its not like it will make people less effective at sniping each other. And, whats more important, good players point the gun where they want before any sway takes effect, so for them it'll make no difference, it will be the same terminator legion RO2.

This game really needs more human factor, like fear, suppression (its too weak), morale (other than bot morale), exhaustion, injuries, weapon inertia to prevent instant 180* turn killing, and human factor impact on weapon handling and solders ability to do other tasks. Solders should be more human and less aimboty campers, the game should be not only about fast reflexes and knowing good spots for camping but also about teamwork, supporting others with suppression fire, covering flanks etc etc.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Vesper11 said:
We have a clone army from star wars movie, soldiers know no fear, no exhaustion, no death. There's something very unrealistic about it, dont you think?
I agree, but to a point.

Vesper11 said:
Speaking of which, megazoom only makes things worse as its hard to see enemy while running from objective to objective, its not about "what it looks like IRL" (and its actually zoom, so no), its about one person camping and safely shooting another who cant see him because he cant use zoom while running for his life.
- Game isn't real life, so people aren't as afraid of dying as I pointed out in OP. We have to make people afraid somehow.

- Removing zoom will distance us from the reality, because when we zoom we actually see the world in 1:1 perspective while in "normal" view mode we see things smaller in order to get wide perspective. It's compromise. And since we fight at small distances - thanks to the game design - it's easier to "snipe" (I wouldn't call such putting down targets below 300 meters).

- That's why people needs to operate as a team. Because when they do they'll have numbers advantage over the lone camper (three people is more likely to kill a single one) as well as they can cover each other in order to suppress the enemy (to keep his head down and let teammates to advance more safely).

Vesper11 said:
It might throw my aim off a bit but its not like it will make people less effective at sniping each other. And, whats more important, good players point the gun where they want before any sway takes effect, so for them it'll make no difference, it will be the same terminator legion RO2.
Well, what separates real snipers from simple riflemen if not knowledge how to aim and when to shoot?

Upvote 0
..... I am for making this one optional, a possibility for those who would like to play it that way.

I put my idea on these forums to let the people know what I think and to gain some intel in return. Nobody is "trying to force other players to play the game the way they want". Discuss the idea, please, instead of guessing about the intention which is both wrong and pointless.

I have been discussing the idea and I have been presenting the possible problems that can and/or will arise from this idea.

And it is indeed "Forcing other players to play the game the way they want" because that's exactly how this entire topic began.

Look at the quotes you used in the very first post:

And then the thread went on with an idea to force players to act the way you think they should act in the game..... you're trying to dictate to other players how you think they should play the game they paid for, simply because you don't like how a few of them play.

I'm not beating around the bush here in order to not hurt someone's ego..... you presented an idea and explained your reasons justifying it.... I countered with my own arguments, possible problems that will come from such an idea and calling your justifications for what they truly are, without any hidden BS.

Your first post ended with asking us what we think.... I'm telling you what I think as honestly as I can, so don't get upset with me over something you asked for.

Isn't it the people's problem, not the class/game design problem then?

Now, I am truly sorry for making this a bit of personal, but... I saw your posts on these forums (good posts, I have to say) and you were pointing out that when people are using a weapon or class in a wrong way then it's not problem of the game, but the people.

To a degree, yes.... but I am not sure if that was exactly what I was getting at. I'd have to see the original post to know what I said.

I say a lot of things, lol :cool:

How is this one different? If your commander has no idea what he is doing then voting him over or kicking him (which, in theory, should be possible to be done) will leave his slot open for someone who knows how important this class is.

The difference is that with certain classes using certain weapons have a much much smaller impact on the overall gameplay than one single player being responsible for the respawning of some 31 other players on his/her team.

If you have a crappy marksman, AT guy, MG, Squad Leader, Commander, etc..... others on your team can still formulate a plan/tactic that could still allow your team to win and thus, the game doesn't have to revolve around that one player doing a bad job.

Even if you have a crappy commander or no commander at all, your team can still win the round if they know what they're doing...... but the idea of having player's respawn being the responsibility of one player is a drastic impact on gameplay for everybody on your team.

Or even worse, you will have 62 players relying on the competence of 2 players, and I'm sorry, but that's most likely going to PO everybody in the game, including the 2 players who were doing badly as Commanders and were vote kicked.

As it stands now, you have a handfull of annoying players who might play badly, but you can still play the game and most of the time, enjoy the game..... do the above and you create a bigger problem that affects everybody and stands a very good chance at ruining the gameplay altogether.

Let's pretend that we are civilized people and keep the discussion as such.

It is civilized......

baby-ewok.jpg

.... He was crying and I had to calm him down last night.

Uncivilized is when I start tossing out swear words, personal insults and troll you non stop. I'm not doing that because there is no need to and I'm being very serious in my objections to your idea.

Unless you can find a way to prevent or solve many of the problems I mentioned that would come from your proposal, it is simply not a very good idea.

- Game isn't real life, so people aren't as afraid of dying as I pointed out in OP. We have to make people afraid somehow.

Besides electrical shocks being sent through the mouse and keyboard everytime you're hit or killed, you won't ever be able to make players "Afraid" in a video game.

And why do you need to make them afraid?

I already don't like dying in the game simply because I have to sit waiting in spawn for 20 some odd seconds, which is 20 some odd seconds I am not playing.

Making people wait out the game in spawn and not being able to do anything for an extended period of time will not make people afraid.... it will just make them really annoyed and stop playing.

20-30 second spawn waits are borderlining my tolerance as it is...... having to wait even longer or worse, to wait some some joe blow to click a button when they remember to, will turn more people off of playing.

Which is why I don't like or play Countdown, or Counter-Strike. I play a video game to play, not watch.

This is why I am honestly opposed to this idea of changing the spawn system. Making it into what you suggest will make the game something I will no longer enjoy and then I'll be stuck with either playing FireFight or not playing at all.

That is my #1 issue in any game.... sitting around and doing nothing for extended periods of time. I can deal with bugs, I can deal with being out numbered in a match, I can deal with being a rifleman against dozens of SMG's and MG's..... I can deal with run&gunners and campers...... but make me sit around with my thumb up my arse for more than I already do in TE when I die and that would be the final straw for me.

And even leaving it as a server-side option isn't something I would approve of.

I already have my browser filters set to take out CD and FF matches so I only get TE matches.... which doesn't always work because the next map on the server can switch to a FF or CD, thus I have to find something else..... add this as yet another option and then I have to screw around even more trying to find an actual TE match that doesn't have this in..... and at that point, the game becomes more work for me than it's worth imo.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Cpt-Praxius said:
Look at the quotes you used in the very first post:
My mistake, a poor choice of words on my part. English is my 2nd language and sometimes I happen to overlook such things when I write posts. I see now why you thought what you thought. "Encouraging" would be a better word then.

Cpt-Praxius said:
And then the thread went on with an idea to force players to act the way you think they should act in the game..... you're trying to dictate to other players how you think they should play the game they paid for, simply because you don't like how a few of them play.
They still could play the way they do. My original thought was that people are careless and tacticless, because they know they'll respawn very soon and because of that their "lifes" doesn't matter for them. In real life soldiers acts the way the do since they realized they've got one. Granted, the game isn't real life, but it doesn't mean we can't get closer than further.

Cpt-Praxius said:
Your first post ended with asking us what we think.... I'm telling you what I think as honestly as I can, so don't get upset with me over something you asked for.
Fair enough.

Cpt-Praxius said:
Besides electrical shocks being sent through the mouse and keyboard everytime you're hit or killed, you won't ever be able to make players "Afraid" in a video game.

And why do you need to make them afraid?
For reasons mentioned above and since we can't introduce electrical shocks (which is not a bad idea if player doesn't mind) everything we can do is design the game (or parts of it) the way that people will be more encouraged to teamplay and use tactic more.

However, I see and understand your point of view which is valid too. Maybe we should ask a question about the level of realism we/everybody want(s).

Upvote 0
The way I see it:
It should be possible to create/edit your own missions, based on any map (without editing the map itself).
Editor, where you can mark capture zones by yourself, edit reinforcements count on Countdown, edit respawn time on Territory, move spawn points, etc.

Then save it in your own file, configure this mission on your own server.
I would like to add reinforcements on Countdown and make capture zones as small as possible.

People will be able to create their own missions like VIP, Extraction (at least 1 team member should reach objective area), Activated Objective, Capture The Flag, etc.

Upvote 0