• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Sound...

What? sound is being processed through CPU still?

wow. That was one of the reasons....

Isn't this pretty much basic stuff? or are there additional liscensing fees related to sound card technologies?....

sigh..

on a side note, dedi sound card do enhance performance of most FPS games and will eventually enhance player stat performance.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The game uses Xaudio which is similar to Microsofts DirectSound (software),onboard or pci soundcards play no part in processing the sound, they just pass it on to headphones/speakers/mic.
The cpu does all the processing, which is not ideal in a game that is aready cpu intensive, and is probably the cause of many of the intermittant sound problems people like myself are suffering.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/XAudio2

Last edited:
Reactions: aesdana
Upvote 0
I'd support this, as I have a suspicion that it's whats causing the micro stutter with automatic weapons and artillery.

the sound is whats causing overall jerkyness, even on high framerates.. becuse i dont get it with sound quality set to low, and 8 channels.. but then sound is cutting out, and only playing half sounds etc.. but is ok at 128 channels ,and then u get stutter again .. and u have to lower to 8 .. it becomes like the twilight zone

Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly support this, just doing a simple test on Station inside and looking at a wall. mid 90s FPS goes to 55 when firing a papasha burst. :eek:

Indeed, I can tell from firing that something is not right. It's what makes using automatic weapons such a chore for me and is very annoying. At best I miss even the easiest shots as the tiny stutter causes my game to freeze and the target dissapears; at worst, I get killed.

Upvote 0
the sound is whats causing overall jerkyness, even on high framerates.. becuse i dont get it with sound quality set to low, and 8 channels.. but then sound is cutting out, and only playing half sounds etc.. but is ok at 128 channels ,and then u get stutter again .. and u have to lower to 8 .. it becomes like the twilight zone

The game supports highest 32bit. So it makes no sense if you put it on 128.

Upvote 0
I wholeheartedly support this, just doing a simple test on Station inside and looking at a wall. mid 90s FPS goes to 55 when firing a papasha burst. :eek:

Yeah, it's especially inside Station or inside the Grain Elevator, since those big rooms have a *lot* of reverb generated from sounds which all have to be calculated in the CPU.

There was a tuning guide that suggested turning down a reverb value in the ini-file. I did it and it got a bit better, but still has stutters and cliping. Maybe I will try setting reverb to 0 tonight see how it goes.

According to devs changing the sound implementation to support for HW accel. is quite a lot of work so we might have to wait a long time. But I think it is very much needed and should be a priority (not that I have any say in the matter lol).

Upvote 0
Yup, having the framerate fall through the floor at the worst possible moments, i.e., when you're being shot at / shooting back with automatic weapons, makes this game very hard to like indeed. Massed fighting in Station becomes a slideshow with anything greater than low quality 8-channel sound - and in this day and age why should anyone be expected to put up with that.

Upvote 0
silence? from the Devs means they know about it and more than likely will do nothing but move on to the next phase.

Putting out more broken content then fixing it, because recoding the sound would cost way to much time.

Lets not turn this into a dev "witch hunt". That was not my intention at all. And in all fairness I posted this originally on a Sunday evening TWI time not expecting an immediate answer.

This just simply needs to be looked at as one of the major contributors of many of the problems that people are experiencing. I like the game play , like the theme , and find this a great evolvement of the original. I and many others just want to see it succeed , and this will have to be fixed for it to do so. Nothing more nothing less.

Upvote 0