• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

MG Deployment

Colt .45 killer

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2006
This needs some serious work.

A: When I try and deploy my MG across a window it snaps me into cover, or pulls me out into the MIDDLE of the window and deploys the MG. At which point the reason that I was trying to deploy in cover becomes obvious as I get sniped by a rifleman very easily. I'd just like to take this moment to say I absolutely despise the multi bind system, if I wanted to stand there humping a wall while trying to deploy a machinegun ....

B:
Cannot deploy here. ad in - f-u-c-k-i-n-g - finitum. Honestly if your going to make it so I can only deploy the thing on select surfaces and then make them so bloody hard to properly attach to then let all MG's be fired from the shoulder & have a different press to attempt the allmight landing, then have a soundclip of "the eagle has landed" :rolleyes:.
I am sick and tired of wiggleing around while looking at some daft rifleman for 5 seconds trying to deploy, only to have him finally spot me and shoot me before I can deploy the MG. Many of those wiggle-FK-Sessions are when I am already prone. Seriously, is my avatar somehwhere around -200 IQ if he cannot deploy a Bi-pod on some dirt when prone?

*rage off*

I bloody love these new MG's, they are very potent and destructive when you can get set up, but the set up process is enough to make me nearly pull my hair out half the time. I'm happy that they were improved from Ost, and I am very gratefull for the cover improvements ( reloading under cover ). So this isnt completely a ***** session, just mostly a ***** session. :D

Whenever you can get round to tweaking this it would be highly appreciated.

Last edited:
Yes please! There are way too many locations that look like you should be able to deploy, but when you try you find there isn't enough room or the cover system snaps you to the side of a gap instead of the bottom (so you can't fire at all). In real life you'd wiggle a bit to make the deployment work k can't your avatar do the same thing?

Upvote 0
Doing it wrong.

How so, do elaborate.

Standing back and to the left of a window sill, deploy the MG on the sill and shoot out to the right. You the shooter are provided with cover, a small angle of fire and cannot be directly shot. The only thing enemies can see is just the barrel of your gun, so the chances of you being spotted are much much lower.

How was I doing it wrong again?
:rolleyes:

Upvote 0
I love the instant warp to standing up in middle of window, makes you a perfect target for anyone looking in your general direction.

I also love not being able to deploy on some objects..."Hey look a sandbag wall with a bush beside it for concealment! *cannot deploy* WTF?!" However I could deploy on the sandbags if I faced the opposite direction...obviously it was a one way sandbag to prevent me from having a decent MG34 spot. Let's not even mention some of the tables and trenches....

Upvote 0
How so, do elaborate.

Standing back and to the left of a window sill, deploy the MG on the sill and shoot out to the right. You the shooter are provided with cover, a small angle of fire and cannot be directly shot. The only thing enemies can see is just the barrel of your gun, so the chances of you being spotted are much much lower.

How was I doing it wrong again?
:rolleyes:

Being spotted is not the issue, people are bound to look at windows, they know you're there anyway. There are riflemen who spend entire games keeping a building's front in check. And the drawback you'll get from better concealment is diminished field of fire & less overall efficiency.

From my own experience & from spectating efficient MG players i would say that the more efficient way is to avoid windows & cover spots. You want to be prone somewhere, relocate often etc (jozef nader explained it very well in one of the MG thread).

However, setting up late on regular deploying spots (windows, sandbags etc) can be absolutely devastating as a defender. Enemies will keep the MG/pop out spots in rigorous check until they have the momentum to push. Now here if you're ready you do get a small window of time where you can deploy on sandbags or windows and absolutely destroys an enemy push. This is something you can notice very well on station.

As an attacker i have yet to figure a better use for the mg than that of a fully automatic sniper rifle with an insane clip. Prone somewhere, preferably on the edges of the front/cap zone & beat riflemen at their own game.

Also, i find the MG34 more fitted to the defense role as you might be facing packs of enemies & need that extra firing capacity. However as an attacker, mainly sniping & prone, i vastly prefer the DP and its superior bullet damage.
Going prone & using it just like a bolt (single shot) wields great results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Being spotted is not the issue, people are bound to look at windows, they know you're there anyway. There are riflemen who spend entire games keeping a building's front in check. And the drawback you'll get from better concealment is diminished field of fire & less overall efficiency.

From my own experience & from spectating efficient MG players i would say that the more efficient way is to avoid windows & cover spots. You want to be prone somewhere, relocate often etc (jozef nader explained it very well in one of the MG thread).

However, setting up late on regular deploying spots (windows, sandbags etc) can be absolutely devastating as a defender. Enemies will keep the MG/pop out spots in rigorous check until they have the momentum to push. Now here if you're ready you do get a small window of time where you can deploy on sandbags or windows and absolutely destroys an enemy push. This is something you can notice very well on station.

As an attacker i have yet to figure a better use for the mg than that of a fully automatic sniper rifle with an insane clip. Prone somewhere, preferably on the edges of the front/cap zone & beat riflemen at their own game.

Also, i find the MG34 more fitted to the defense role as you might be facing packs of enemies & need that extra firing capacity. However as an attacker, mainly sniping & prone, i vastly prefer the DP and its superior bullet damage.
Going prone & using it just like a bolt (single shot) wields great results.

Why didn't you post this in the first place instead of looking like a troll with your comment?

and I don't really like the realization that Machine gunners should avoid windows

Upvote 0
The problem with deploying on the ground, is that the new weapon collision won't allow you to deploy if there isn't enough room. This is problematic because it doesn't fully model all the various ways someone could manage to deploy an MG even in uncomfortable positions. My biggest gripe is that when deploying fails, RMB will bring me into cover. I thought multifunctionality was only for the all-powerful Use key.

Upvote 0
To me it seems like you're being overly ambitious with your field of fire.

Playing Germans tonight on Pavlov's....I sat facing the 9th of January Square from the Corner Ruins. Had a full view of the entire square, the trenches leading up to it from Zab's, everyone running out the front of Zab's...it's huge.

BUT, I couldn't position my MG like 2 inches further to start picking people off in the middle of Zab's from that window. Every time I tried, it was doing what you say. Snapping me into a cover position instead on a corner of the wall.

The field of fire I did have was amazing though. 100m+ single shot kills from the MG all day, 20+ over two rounds. With no kill cam on, it almost felt like cheating, it was so effective.

TWI very purposefully set up angles of fire with available windows and MGs in mind. If I had another 15 degrees of angle from that window, I could have dominated the entire area people spent the whole game fighting for.

So yeah. Find the limits of what the angles of fire they've created, and displace a lot to cover enemy movement if you don't have someone else covering the position. If you've got a squad watching all sides of the building...settle down and let them cover the angles you can't.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
and I don't really like the realization that Machine gunners should avoid windows

You don't have to avoid windows... you just have to avoid windows that are being watched or can be watched from wide angle.

Because bipads deployment is bit clunky, it's critical that you get to deploy without your enemies noticing. If you can do that on a window, and you won't be sticking out like a sore thumb, then it's all good.

Also remember that you can setup from edge of the window, then slowly inch yourself towards center to get a better angle/view without overexposure from the beginning.

Edit: Screenshot of scoreboard on a Barracks TE game where I used MG34 on windows exclusively.

Spoiler!

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here is another suggestion about deployment from another post of me with some other suggestions but they would be off topic.

Suggestions:

1. At the moment,when deploying, the MG get s centered Y-axis wise.This very often takes away the so important time from a MG gunner and he get s shot.So one is aiming at the right spot before deploying, but then after deploying one has to adjust the height from the center of the screen.Please fix this,this is so important!Make it so the MG points where one is aiming at before deploying (Y-axis wise).Try this when you are at a window, see enemys walking below you on the street, deploy and then find yourself aiming straight forward instead of down.

Upvote 0
*snip*
Also remember that you can setup from edge of the window, then slowly inch yourself towards center to get a better angle/view without overexposure from the beginning.

Not necessarily, this is what part of my complaint is about. Sometimes you can set up at an angle and inch out, other times it pulls you right into the middle. Feels to me like getting pulled into the middle is a lot more common.

@ Died trying.
Staying out of building windows is a good rule of thumb, he has a point. Its the same principle as ridge-lining, you offer a high contrast to the terrain behind you. In the case of *most* of the windows in HOS, thats a nicely painted exterior and interior, so your silhouette becomes easily visible. The human eye is very good at noticing shapes before it even notices other attributes. ( Although it falls second to movement, which is the easiest to spot ). If you can pick a window where you wont be silhouetted against an off colour background then do so, as it is safer, but also note that windows are also places where arbitrary surpressionary fire gets placed...

As a FTL or SL with papasha in the danzig market ( guess thats a park now ), I always send a few bursts towards the far windows the germans camp in, its like free friggen kills considering the rounds go through those walls

@Unus: thanks mate! ;)

Upvote 0