• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Config tweaks.

Striffneck

Sep 22, 2011
Well 2nd day playing and the FPS is so low.Varies 15-35fps.

I want to tweak my cfg {ini} to gain an acceptable increase in FPS.

Are there any cheat protected cvars that i need to know about so I don't tamper with them.Never cheated in my life so don't want to do so inadvertently.

I tried on lowest settings from the menu and diddly squat in terms of improvement.All i want to do is remove aspects in the graphics that hit my fps.Like reflections and water detail,shadows,sun,brass,bullet impacts etc.

Any help would be appreciated

I guess nothings protected at the moment since people can play the game looking like this:

CNsdP.jpg

Upvote 0
Agreed...I don't want to play with those settings myself but there is nothing wrong there.

Rather than use my post to rant about misguided claptrap..i'd appreciate help.

As long as foliage and objects are not removed it's tweaking.Tweaking has never been recognised as cheating because quite simply it isn't.

If you prefer we all play as devs intended then as long as the game is optimized with 60fps conforming to minimum system specs...I'll happily play with you by candle light.

My setup is far superior to minimum specs...I don't believe the devs intended the game to be played at 15-35fps.

Upvote 0
You can tell us everyday until the end of time, you're still wrong :rolleyes:

Umm, lets see, some people do run hardware so low due to they cant upgrade year after year because too Young or Not enough cash. I know some personally.

Some run 8500s and less.

For them, thats required almost. For others, its a way to compete, scrim. Get every single frame you can. Get over yourself if you think its cheating, as its not. And PB and VAC both allow.

It happens in COD1,UO,2,COD4,TF2, CS, many other FPS games.

So yea, I will keep saying it. Day the devs remove the option to make game that low, is the game the day dies for many.

Upvote 0
Well this one may be obvious but for a lot of people who recently deleted their ROEngine.ini so the game will make a new one reported much higher FPS, as did I. My game runs flawlessly now of last patch. However, I was still able to raise my FPS a good 20 or so just by typing 'umbra culling' into the console again. So don't forget it! ;)

I turn my shadows to low, post processing to low, and foliage to low. High everything else, occlusion to normal, and ambient occlusion off.
Since my FPS has stabilized in the last patch, now my machine runs 35-70 fps but even with the drop into the thirties the game still feels very smooth.

AMD Phenom II Quad 2.9 ghz
Radeon HD5770 1GB clocked to 960 mhz gpu / 1300 mhz mem
8 GB DDR3

Now that the game is running well for more of us, i'd imagine the FPS will increase as optimizations continue to be released. And let us not forget that AMD should release drivers that will help things along.

Upvote 0
You can tell us everyday until the end of time, you're still wrong :rolleyes:

LOL

It is not much more difficult at all to kill people using configs like that, just stop whining about it. You think they're enjoying the game so much more looking like that? It's a huge sacrifice to make in order to play the game easier, personally I could never do without my eye candy and I don't know how they put up with it.

So he can see you a little easier in a window? Who cares, stop exposing yourself and utilize cover effectively and it doesn't even matter.

I've never seen a more whiney bunch than you "RO veterans". I loved RO too, passionately.

Upvote 0
So yea, I will keep saying it. Day the devs remove the option to make game that low, is the game the day dies for many.

It will also be the day that the game is played on a even keel across the whole community and BS advantages like no darkness will allow the game and maps to play as intended.

Of course the cheapest ( I don't mean financially ) gamers will then be cranking the gamma on their monitors so they have an advantage.

A very sad state of affairs tbh.

I'm all for performance tweaking, but there needs to be a limit in force to prevent abuse.

Upvote 0
I guess nothings protected at the moment since people can play the game looking like this:

CNsdP.jpg

and you thought what i do in a competitive match is bad... i wouldn't even use that in a competitive match :/ that person is probably using it in pub.. which is stupid.. i agree with you guys though, game shouldn't be tweaked to that extent.

Reactions: LightsabeR
Upvote 0
and you thought what i do in a competitive match is bad... i wouldn't even use that in a competitive match :/ that person is probably using it in pub.. which is stupid.. i agree with you guys though, game shouldn't be tweaked to that extent.
I just want to clear this confusion, I dont care if you play with aimbots/wallhacks/anything you could ever imagine (I'm not assimilating changing gamma to using wallhacks here, just an exaggerated example), but I dont want someone playing with me having the game look vastly different and thus gaining an unfair advantage over me. I.E. I dont want to completely prevent this, I just want to prevent cheating on others through this.

I myself want an even playing field for everyone, thats sportmanship.

Having some people play the game with it looking vastly different (e.g. changing colors, no black/darkness anywhere etc) without the consent of other players is cheating to me.

I myself dont like to play games "competitively" by making them really gamey by having no darkness anywhere as you would have in real life etc. If you like, thats okay to me, but I dont want someone playing with me like this without my consent for it.

Upvote 0

In competitive matches a lot is generally allowed depending on how easy it is to monitor someone abusing something and actually police things, once settings get to a point that actual stuff that block vision get removed it usually becomes an exploit.

Think of removing foliage through vidcard lod settings, removing smoke, removing certain static meshes. Of course what is allowed and not should be defined by the respective league (and above all should be possible to monitor for the respective league). But that picture seriously looks like someone has messed around with the lod of his videocard.

Last edited:
Upvote 0