• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Stats not saving is not that simple (A detailed first-hand account)

the only way forward from this mess is to firstly figure out why all these stats are being randomly generated. surely it shouldnt be that difficult, RO2 isnt the 1st FPS in history to track stats online.
In beta, before stats were hooked up they were populated with random data. Somewhere between that, and activating the real stat tracking, something screwed up. To me it reads like they never completely removed the random propagation of stats, and THAT's why people sometimes go up in rank, sometimes go down in rank, sometimes they go nowhere in rank.

i think if they were gonna do a stat reset at some point they would have said by now right?
They're going to say very little until they know what the exact problem is. It could be several things.

There may simply be problems with players connecting to the master data server to send their updated data....which means their stored stats are inaccurate in some way. There may be a problem with the master server talking to player clients, which means it has the right stats, but they're not getting reported to us correctly.

It very well may be a problem with the master data server....since they can't seem to reproduce this problem internally. Which would make sense. They have no problems talking to their own master server from their offices. It has problem talking to people through the Steam network and across the world.

And then it could also be some bit of legacy code hanging around that is still getting processed along side our full stats. So, where the normal stat tracking would see no activity in a certain field (weapon, class, ect....) the legacy code might still be filling in any "no change" fields with random data. Including fields that the player just progressed on last match.*

*all the above is wild conjecture

It's not a simple fix, and I really believe it's going to require a reset, because TWI can't concievably go through and clean everyone's profile by hand. They'd have to decided between wiping out ridiculous untrue stats (15,000% accuracy), and leaving other stats that seem reasonable. (200 kills 145 deaths.)

There's no way they're going to do that though, it's a manpower blackhole. And unless they've got a coding prodigy on staff, I don't think they're going to write code to do it for them either. The easiest, most reliable and most equitable solution is to find the problem, guarantee it works over the course of a few days with the community, then declare a stat reset and zero everything out.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Upvote 0
Not really sure whats going on in my case.

My stats were all working perfectly fine on day one, then they suddenly stopped and I went through lvling my rifleman class 10 times frustrating but it gave me a good chuckle everytime I saw the class level up indicator.

Meanwhile my weapon and honor stats kept going up normally.

Then just as sudden, class stats started working again on all servers, and now im back to class stats not tracking while weapon and honor goes up as normal.

very confusing but i don't really care too much about stats, RO1 was nice because you didnt have people camping for their 1337 k/d ratio so to me its not a big deal but im listing my issues anyway since it may, prove helpful to resolving the issue for those that do care.

Upvote 0
Interestingly, when I checked a few days ago, the "stats reset" poll had the majority of people voting for a reset about 2 to 1. Now it is up to 3 to 1 and close to 1000 votes. It seems to me like a day or so of screwed up stats wouldn't bother people that much. But I guess that since it has gone for much longer, it has pushed more and more people to want a reset....

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Like many, I'm not playing for stats, I'm playing because the game is fun. The stats part are just an interesting thing to check for my own information. However, it seems me that there should be either a correctly working stat system or none at all. Having the borked system is rather annoying.

I'm sure we will hear something about it Monday, I hope most of the community respects Tripwire's fix and there aren't a million rage threads. You'd think Tripwire was clubbing baby seals the way people get so mad sometimes....

Upvote 0
Interestingly, when I checked a few days ago, the "stats reset" poll had the majority of people voting for a reset about 2 to 1. Now it is up to 3 to 1 and close to 1000 votes. It seems to me like a day or so of screwed up stats wouldn't bother people that much. But I guess that since it has gone for much longer, it has pushed more and more people to want a reset....

It will be interesting to see how this all plays out. Like many, I'm not playing for stats, I'm playing because the game is fun. The stats part are just an interesting thing to check for my own information. However, it seems me that there should be either a correctly working stat system or none at all. Having the borked system is rather annoying.

I'm sure we will hear something about it Monday, I hope most of the community respects Tripwire's fix and there aren't a million rage threads. You'd think Tripwire was clubbing baby seals the way people get so mad sometimes....

I'd much prefer a reset if/when this gets fixed.
It makes it hard for me to actually sit down, pick a server, and play for more than one round knowing that anything I do probably won't count.

I'd gladly welcome the return to 0 if it meant that playing on ranked servers meant I was getting ranked. The peace of mind would greatly outweigh the price of admission.

Upvote 0
I think that no matter what they do, someone is always going to be mad. Looks like a lot of fun being a software developer!

I guess the best possible solution would be to make sure it WORKS perfectly, THEN reset stats.

Seeing that stats are very screwed up right now, it would be very unfortunate if they patched it, wiped stats, and they STILL had some sort of problem. I think they are smart in that they haven't made some half-butted attempt to fix it. Nor have they claimed in any patch notes that it is fixed at all. It is clear to me that once they patch it, they need to be very sure it is working right.

I think the best possible solution would be to:

1. Obviously, find the problem and fix it.
2. If there is ANY doubt that it may not completely fix the problem for everyone, make it VERY clear. I'm talking like a very clear message that everyone will get, not just a forum post. Perhaps a message at the beginning or end of every match. Say something along the lines of "We are aware of the stat problem, yada yada yada, we are doing everything we can to fix it, yada, stats currently being collected WILL BE WIPED within a few days!!!
3. Then, once it is confirmed that stats are now being collected properly, patch again and reset stats to 0.

It would be unfortunate if they patch it, say it should be fixed, but a bunch of people still have problems...

Reactions: the_Monk
Upvote 0
I think that no matter what they do, someone is always going to be mad. Looks like a lot of fun being a software developer!

I guess the best possible solution would be to make sure it WORKS perfectly, THEN reset stats.

Seeing that stats are very screwed up right now, it would be very unfortunate if they patched it, wiped stats, and they STILL had some sort of problem. I think they are smart in that they haven't made some half-butted attempt to fix it. Nor have they claimed in any patch notes that it is fixed at all. It is clear to me that once they patch it, they need to be very sure it is working right.

I think the best possible solution would be to:

1. Obviously, find the problem and fix it.
2. If there is ANY doubt that it may not completely fix the problem for everyone, make it VERY clear. I'm talking like a very clear message that everyone will get, not just a forum post. Perhaps a message at the beginning or end of every match. Say something along the lines of "We are aware of the stat problem, yada yada yada, we are doing everything we can to fix it, yada, stats currently being collected WILL BE WIPED within a few days!!!
3. Then, once it is confirmed that stats are now being collected properly, patch again and reset stats to 0.

It would be unfortunate if they patch it, say it should be fixed, but a bunch of people still have problems...

agreed.

Upvote 0
I dont give my support to a global reset and this is why;

There is a significant number of people who have realistic stats that they have earned. It is unfair on these people to erase their stats because TWI made a mistake.

There are people that have played a lot, and even though their stats may be blown out by bugs (like my 79 renown), there are people which will see loosing 20+hrs game time as a reason to stop playing.

The easiest, and fairest solution, once the stats bug has been fixed is to give players the choice to erase their stats. If someone is not happy with playing with stupid stats, its their choice to erase them, but it is not fair on the group of people who want to keep what they got from playing the game.

I look forward to erasing my stats, but will be unhappy if it is forced on everyone.

Upvote 0
I dont give my support to a global reset and this is why;

There is a significant number of people who have realistic stats that they have earned. It is unfair on these people to erase their stats because TWI made a mistake.

There are people that have played a lot, and even though their stats may be blown out by bugs (like my 79 renown), there are people which will see loosing 20+hrs game time as a reason to stop playing.

The easiest, and fairest solution, once the stats bug has been fixed is to give players the choice to erase their stats. If someone is not happy with playing with stupid stats, its their choice to erase them, but it is not fair on the group of people who want to keep what they got from playing the game.

I look forward to erasing my stats, but will be unhappy if it is forced on everyone.

The people that think their stats are correct have no real way of knowing they are in fact 100% correct unless after every kill, after every point earned, you are running to the stats page and making sure it recorded properly...then making sure it actually saved after the session and remained the same upon starting a new session.

Upvote 0
The people that think their stats are correct have no real way of knowing they are in fact 100% correct unless after every kill, after every point earned, you are running to the stats page and making sure it recorded properly...then making sure it actually saved after the session and remained the same upon starting a new session.

But they still *think* it.

Imagine for a moment the frustration at TWI coming out and saying "yea, we messed up the game, but everything you did is now gone".

In reality, offering an option to erase stats will annoy less people then a global wipe. At this stage TWI needs to focus on making people happy. Most people who want to reset their stats recognise that the benefits are very minor, so letting those people who want to keep their work should not be an issue.

Upvote 0
OTOH I played more than 20 hours, and my SL stats still say 0%. so I already "lost" 20 hours in this game.

the total silence regarding the issue besides "dunno, works for us" is annoying as well.

Upvote 0