• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

The leveling system is a cancer within the game.

I wouldn't mind the progression system if it actually worked for everyone. I personally can't get past lv7 and my friend played one game and got from lv5 to 28 suddenly...wtf?

That said it creates an uneven playing field, but at the same time it gives people a reason to keep playing when they first start out. "I may suck at this game but at least I'm about to unlock X gun." Then by the time they unlock it, they're starting to learn how the game works and possibly get better at it.

At the same time if you think about it, they're handicapped in both knowledge of the game *and* they have less accuracy/whatever leveling gives you...so it's just another disadvantage given to new players. So I don't know how I feel about it...I'd play if it got taken out, probably play even more (because of my issue I'm having) but you level so fast that when it gets fixed it probably won't matter.

Last edited:
Reactions: sturmfuhrer
Upvote 0
I think there should be SOME element of stats tracking, but ill agree the current implementation only encourages stats whoring and discourages teamwork and bold actions.

Stats should keep track of POINTS (not kills or deaths, at all), and a few fun things like tanks destroyed, weapon accuracy, favourite class, etc.

A positive side effect of removing kills/deaths and the whole progression system is it would make killing seem more hollow (not just another way to improve score in a game), and combined with the amazing death animations and sound effects, it would be a more striking act.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
They wanted to cash in on the bored COD crowd waiting for their game.

Unlock system, exp system, increased players speed, small maps, quick matches, squad leader spawns, firefight mode.

I just hope the extra revenue brings great things to this game once their cashcrop payoff race to the next games. Maybe a true squeal to RO will emerge.

Upvote 0
Sady I compleatly agree with you.
For instance, i only care to unlock the ppsh drum mag (which is ridiculous in the first place but thats another story) and isn't the slighest bit of fun, having to desperatly get as many kills in a round as possible to speed up the rate of progression when i'd rather be using a bolt, use a tank and actualy play the game for fun like in Ostfront! In fact, im no where near to unlock anything at all but would like if only to have the drum mag which I can personaly use to balance out the damn game against the prototype german assault ubermen. For the record, I dont give two squirts of piss about stats and awards, but the buggy system at the momement really needs to be fixed ASAP if only to ensure players can unlock all they deserve. Surely i've heard somthing in the past about servers that can have the option to control unlocks given to players (Drum mags default ect). but for now i haven't seen anything like this and untill then I feel compleatly uncompeled to play.

The leveling system is indeed saping most of the fun out of the game and I sadly dont care to play it as often as i thought I would. But above all, it's ineffably frustrating to have such a boil on the face of one of the greatest games ive ever played!

Upvote 0
A colleague in my team at work is fighting ovarian cancer right now (and highly likely in vain given the low success rate). Your title is inappropriate and as such a seasoned poster here you should know better. It's just a game.

wtf it's a valid expression

the first and most vocal naysayer i remember was various names, but while i wasn't so outspoken i have always been against this - indeed it's been my only concern with this game whatsoever.

I've given my reasons, not necessarily the same as other ppl's - my main one being the disaffection of new players who pick up this game in the future.

It's interesting if indeed many players aren't liking how it's turning out - albeit phaps for other reasons - but i suspect there are far more that love the idea.
I've always maintained the best games don't need this stuff, with the only required reward being enjoyment of the game itself.
That said, if you want to see a game with ranks, performance records and unlocks that absolutely nails it perfectly - enemy territory quake wars.

Upvote 0
Atm its kinda unfair for those that don't have the extra time to spend playing RO all day.
.....a drive, an impulse to keep playing, but more as a necessity than as an entertainment
Totally agree with the above comments - I think for those youngsters who have all the time in the world, they can spend all day leveling up, attaining the best weapons, attachments e.t.c and appear to be 'Hero's' whereas those that team-play, bolt and provide covering fire for team mates will ultimately have to spend a hell of alot more time, meaning he will probably turn his experience into another XP bashing where he will negate his team responsibilites and go soley for kills and points.

That is what I liked about Red Orchestra Ostfront, that is why I played it over the Battlefield or other FPS series.

We are not playing a tournament or competition in Ro2 so why do we need XP?

makes sure that the game has an active community I believe

Red Orchestra Ostfront still has a thriving community 'WITHOUT' xp or leveling up, BF2 Still has a thriving community without XP, Half-life still has a thriving community without XP......Call of Duty 4 on the other hand - well they have moved on. RO:eek:st was all about the experience, not the XP, those that wanted XP were dissapointed and thus didnt play the game anymore which made the experience alot nicer knowing that you werent in a competition with everyone else for most amount of XP.

I loved Ro:Ost because I didnt care that the MGs / Commanders / Tank crew men had the most kills on the scoreboard, why? Because that told me they were doing there job! ;)

Sturm

Sturm

Last edited:
Reactions: Fedorov
Upvote 0
A colleague in my team at work is fighting ovarian cancer right now (and highly likely in vain given the low success rate). Your title is inappropriate and as such a seasoned poster here you should know better. It's just a game.

That's so Emma and Julia.

On topic: I'm not that ocd with this stuff, I enjoy the game more than unlocks, but what I will say is this - I'm so sick of seeing every game with achievements. I think it takes away a broad sense of teamwork (unless you roll with a good unit or something) and drives ppl to do things like running around with binoculars trying to hit ppl instead of helping with an objective. As for unlocks, things like a drum magazine may be ok, but unwanted scopes and silencers (not sure if you can take them off once you have them?) are just... Idk where they were going with that.

Upvote 0
Its a sensitive subject my friend, people die everyday from cancer, so of course people get offended when a disease that kills so many is just thrown around so casually.

First of all, I'm not your friend.

Secondly, the internet is not any one individual's own. No one has the right to be offended (if subject matter clearly violates a forum's TOS it will be removed) by what someone else posts (let alone offended on someone else's behalf?!?) and then suggest someone else should feel chastised for using a term (in the correct context no less) to descibe his/her feelings on a completely unrelated subject.

The presumption of that "offended party" is what's disgusting, not in fact the OP's correct (within context) use of the term.

EDIT:
Having said that, as to the context of the OP? I agree that the level progression does in fact detract from the "fun factor" of this game for me. I do however have some difficulty pinning down exactly why.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Totally agree with the above comments - I think for those youngsters who have all the time in the world, they can spend all day leveling up, attaining the best weapons, attachments e.t.c and appear to be 'Hero's' whereas those that team-play, bolt and provide covering fire for team mates will ultimately have to spend a hell of alot more time, meaning he will probably turn his experience into another XP bashing where he will negate his team responsibilites and go soley for kills and points.

That is what I liked about Red Orchestra Ostfront, that is why I played it over the Battlefield or other FPS series.

We are not playing a tournament or competition in Ro2 so why do we need XP?

Red Orchestra Ostfront still has a thriving community 'WITHOUT' xp or leveling up, BF2 Still has a thriving community without XP, Half-life still has a thriving community without XP......Call of Duty 4 on the other hand - well they have moved on. RO:eek:st was all about the experience, not the XP, those that wanted XP were dissapointed and thus didnt play the game anymore which made the experience alot nicer knowing that you werent in a competition with everyone else for most amount of XP.

I loved Ro:Ost because I didnt care that the MGs / Commanders / Tank crew men had the most kills on the scoreboard, why? Because that told me they were doing there job! ;)

Sturm

Sturm

I must disagree as the RO1 community is primarily composed of veterans to the series in a quite niche game. RO2 was quite an obvious stride toward streamlined and mainstream functionality for new players and veteran players alike. The leveling system adds more depth for both types of players to encourage a larger and longer active community.

Of course any niche game will have a die-hard fan following but aside from that, the people who play the game and get out are generally who I believe TWI want to keep around so that there is a much larger community versus RO1. This ensures that future games made by them have a higher acceptance rate and increased profitability.

Besides, BF2 is already pretty mainstream in the sense. Though it does not feature leveling, it does feature Gun Unlocks which again, is something added to have an increased rate of players/community at any given time. The highest being release.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I just ignore it and shoot/stab stuff :D

This.

Seriously. Who gives a flying **** if a **** could indeed fly about leveling? You didn't die because some dude has 15% sway reduction, you died because you got shot in the face because you were being an idiot. Shot by an MKB? Chances are that dude would have one shotted you with a Kar98k just as well.

FFS, it isn't difficult at all to kill anyone with anything. The difficulty is largely in simply staying alive.

It's like arguing that manual bolting should be removed, because it's a smidge faster, no? That'll get you killed more than any of the stats that change in a game where it literally takes 1 bullet from any gun to kill you plenty.

Do we need it? Nope. Is it here? Yup. Does it matter? Not really once you stop focusing on it. Dude reloads faster, big fuggin whoop when he only needs to hit you once. Shouldnt need to reload often enough to really make a difference.

Oh, BF2 does have XP. CoD4 is still alive and kicking, infact I do believe it is still played much more than RO2 has seen in it's life.

Last edited:
Upvote 0