• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Have you ever seen a buggier release?

QFT.

I can't name a single game released in the last 20 years that was released fully functional right out of the box. At least nowadays we have steam that automatically patches our broken games as opposed to trying to go online and dig through dozens of virus-ridden websites to try and find the right patch.

Seriously, kiddies. This is par for the course for PC gaming.

I can Starcraft 2, but that's honestly the only game I can think of that didn't have serious issues at release. Then again they also had somewhere around 1 million beta testers towards the end of the open beta.

Upvote 0
Battlefield 2 is still unplayable for seemingly random reasons for many people, only complete reinstalls normally fix it.

+1. Battlefield 2 was easily as borked as RO2 on release day, in different ways. The rubber banding and server lag, certainly, were just as bad. I wasn't there for the BC2 release but I heard it was error prone too.

Basically I've never played a MP FPS at release on PC that worked like a charm.

Upvote 0
This isn't unfair at all. Both BF1942 and BF2 were massively buggy until major patches were released a month or two down the line. Fans of the series conveniently forget this.
Generalization isn't cool bro. I'm a huge fan of both BF and RO. :)

You've only touched on two games. I've played every single BF game at release day and they're unplayable. This includes 1942,V,2,2142,and BC2. "Sorry, cannot connect to EA Servers at this time" on launch week is a well established Battlefield tradition.

Another Battlefield tradition: After the initial CTD/BSOD/how-do-I-start-this-game fixes, patches break more than they fix.

Upvote 0
Yeah I've seen quite a 'few' buggy releases.

And to be honest, I'm getting sicking tired of it. Unlock systems, imaginary weapons, radar, recon planes and where is it all good for? Exactly.. lots of lag, crashes, glitches and a ton of little bugs.

What would have been the perfect RO2 IMO? RO1 + cover system + new graphics engine and advanced tanking system.

Reactions: Sir Roderick
Upvote 0
RO2 doesn't "work like a charm" and I'm not going to felate the devs like it does.

It's got plenty of really problematic issues, not only in terms of bugs, but in how many of their systems are playing out in reality. I mean, they actually managed to introduce some new bugs between the last beta patch and release. It was not a flawless victory.

On the other hand, I know they'll get it all fixed, and I haven no plans on going anywhere.

The RO2 release is on par for the level of most other FPS. If it has more bugs, it's because it has more features capable of being buggy.

Reactions: Josef Nader
Upvote 0
g10135nfkhq.jpg

beat me to it. But we got some good years out of that game. Same with Ro2 once the dev team gets fixes rolling.

Upvote 0
Are people honestly this surprised that the full game is in the same state, if not a tad worse, than the Beta? I mean the Beta, up until the last minute, was getting build updates. Obviously any remaining issues and then some were going to remain and crop up in the release. This isn't EA, or Codemasters, or Ubisoft who can just Fire and Forget with their games(Which they tend to do). It's Tripwire. They aren't a huge gaming powerhouse with 25 titles releasing every year. They have Killing Floor, and Red Orchestra. It's not like they're sitting there high fiving each other because they released RO2 and are now working on another title, their full attention is going to be devoted to RO2 for a while

Last edited:
Reactions: hekuball
Upvote 0
F1 2010 - one patch which did not fix much. Still waiting for the AI pit bug to be resolved - oh wait here comes F1 2011. I decided my time would be spent on RO2 and wait to see if F1 2012 is worth getting. BTW some other fixes were created by mod teams!

Assassin's Creed Brotherhood Multiplayer - the matchmaking system was atrocious and I am not sure if this was ever resolved satisfactorily since I got fed up after a month fiddling around with port settings and had real life taking up my time. Not revisited the game since.

Predator vs Aliens - matchmaking system and hit detection problems in multiplayer. Balance issues as well. They did put in dedicated servers post release to be fair but the other issues made the gameplay feel unatisfactory to me.

Correct me if you had a different experience but these three games had serious flaws at release but more importantly, I never had faith they would be fixed. I am happy to fiddle around with my pc to get a game running and prepared to wait for patches but unless I missed the patches, this just did not happen with these games.

Now there is one more game that comes to memory I could not play on release and that was RO Ostfront. Two days later I was playing and having a ball. Why? Because Tripwire communicated with the community and gave advice/released patches (not sure which of these two solved my initial problem)

Did I have problems during the beta for RO HOS? Certainly but they were quite minor in comparison to some of the problems I have seen reported and my pc is three years old now so I was expecting more than my fair share.

I will be very suprised and disappointed if Tripwire do not address the outstanding issues and clean the game up for everyone because this would not reflect the attiude they have had to their games in the past.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thats the only game i have had that, completely and utterly refused to work. Sometimes worked for a few minutes, but most the time crashed as soon as the first level began.

I have never got past the first few minutes of the BFBC2 SP campaign because it locks up, every time.

AT the beginning, you assault a beach in WWII, and just as you pass under the bridge, before you are even allowed to control the character, 9 times out of ten the game locks up solid. Hard reset required.

I have only ever been able to control the character in the BFBC2 SP campaign ONCE, and that lasted 5 minutes.

So yeah even within the last year (and still) one of the biggest game companies sold a game that doesn't even work as well as the RO2 BETA.

Upvote 0
Like I said though, they've gotten better over the years and the days of down time is only additional hours of maintenance.

They should have gotten better. How much money have they made off that game? A billion? Two?

They better ****ing fix their practices if they have that much money to throw at the problem. If TWI was a billion dollar company, I might be angry too. (Probably not because the game is way better than most AND runs better, but still.)

Upvote 0
Yes. But dead island worked. and Bugs wasnt noticable, Atleast they released a game that was able to be played.

My god. Does the Sun orbit you too?

Your experience is NOT the only experience people have had. My game runs way better than even BFBC2, which is a much less intensive game, on the same computer.

So YOUR problem is not EVERYONE'S problem. Stop generalising as if what is happening to you is happening to everyone. it isn't. Not only that but there have been plenty of games, even recently that NO ONE could get to work properly.

So if RO2 works for at least SOME of it's players, then it's a lot better than many games that are released, and those games are made by multi-billion dollar companies.

Reactions: Nimble
Upvote 0
I have not, but I'm genuinely curious as to whether you have. We all know of the optimization issues still plaguing many users (though I myself have been lucky enough to have it run fairly well) that seems to be the major source anger on the boards.

But it's amazing to me that the simple things are so buggy. Server browser going offline, achievements not registering correctly, stat progression not being tracked, and weapon unlocks not unlocking for the people that paid for them. There isn't even a manual included with the game!

I have to say that I respect TWI for working so hard to fix these issues, but I do not believe they should have put themselves into this position. I would frankly be embarrassed to have released a game in this state.

Perhaps they will get these things sorted out; for the sake of the community, I certainly hope they do.

Yes BC2 by far was buggier....and thats a game that more than 200 people are working at the same time......

TWI = 30 employees at the most,go figure they did descent I think and I know they will do their best to polish the game more + more new content in near future :)

Upvote 0