• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Bring back the RO1 injuries

FullMetalMonkey

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 31, 2011
London, England
I during my many hours of playing the Red Orchestra 2 beta i have noticed something sadly missing from the game which was a lovely feature in Ostfront.

In Ostfront, if you were shot in the leg, you would be wounded and then start to move more slowly and be knocked to the floor. If you were shot in the arm or hands, you would drop you rifle and have to pick it back up again.

I really don't understand why this feature isn't in Red Orchestra 2, especially with the 'hit location', by which i mean the picture of a man and when he's shot shows where. It seems to make it almost redundant.

I was shot in the hand, a couple of days ago and the only downside i had to this happening was having to use a bandage and my character crying in pain alot giving away my position, which i love by the way.

+1

I made a similar topic today. This feature's exclusion/toning down is a real disappointment, and I'm hoping TW sees the light at some point or that it is just disabled for the beta. *crosses fingers*

I don't have a problem with them making the game easier to pick up (I wasn't really a fan of the "gun shot out of your hand" feature), but the wound system is (or was) a major feature, and they should be using it as a selling point, not toning it down.

Upvote 0
dropped gun, no. It could get frustrating and I can see many people being turned away due to it.

Hit in the leg - stop running etc + hit in the arm - terrible aim: YES! A man can't just get shot and keep sprinting! I have taken too many shots at a running person in RO2 and seen this, in Ro1 you could hit them and seem them hit the dirt, even if they weren't around cover.

Upvote 0
Id hate to see dropped weapon back in the game.

Id like to see temporary penalties to being hit in the arms and legs and.. well, everywhere I guess. It's probably not very fun to be hit anywhere :p.
i know most people didn't like roosts hot-potato guns, but theres more options than keep or remove.
percent chance of happening?
first hit worsens your aim, second hit makes it drop?
theres many alternatives to simple removal.

Upvote 0
Dropped gun was too easy for griefers to ruin the game with.

What are you on about? Griefers? If you don't want to drop your gun, don't get shot. If you do drop it when your shot, your more than likely dead anyway as the enemy must have obviously had a bead on you and you would most likely die anyway.

The movement penalty is still there. Haven't you bled out yet?
I have bled out lots of times but its not the same thing though is it? When you start to do the bleed out death animation, it means your dead anyway and you can barely move in anycase. In RO1, if you were shot you would still be alive but moving more slowly. Its no where near the same.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There is a complex human body mesh modelled, it doesnt matter where you are hit, pelvis, gut, arm, leg, bone, the bandage does the same thing to all the wounds, at the same speed, and then you suffer nothing after.

Not only do i believe the Ostfront wound effects and system should be brought back, they should do what it should always have, to have permanent negative effects on your movement speed, stability, stamina, accuracy and possibly make you die after a longer period of time.

Last edited:
Reactions: SQBsam
Upvote 0
I'm pretty sure that shooting someone, regardless of the location hit does slow them down.

I totally agree though that shooting people in the arms, legs, chest, etc should have some effect other than the generic "You are bleeding to death, spend .5 second to tourniquet your entire torso"

For instance, I had a time where I came upon a German in a trench, prone. I shot him in the collar bone with my Mosin Nagant. He barely flinched and kept a steady aim on me and then filled me full of holes with his G41.

My feelings on injuries are as follows:

• Bleeding to death should take longer
  • Bandaging should take longer
  • Injuries to locations should affect the user in some way dependent on location and severity (two wounds in the arm is worse than only one).
  • Getting shot should immediately add suppression effects or something that messes up your aim.
  • Bandaging a wound dramatically reduces the penalty but doesn't eliminate it entirely (like a 75% reduction)
Currently it feels like unless you kill someone, you might as well not have shot them at all. As long as they can make it to cover and bandage it doesn't affect them (aside from the crying in pain occasionally).

Upvote 0
I think for threads like thie we should preface by stating that we want these features to not be included in Relaxed Realism. I can understand the people who didn't like RO1 not wanting this feature, but what about those of us who like it.

Currently there is a very thin line between being wounded and being incapacitated. TW stated early on that any wound that would incapacitate our otherwise remove a soldier from combat would count as a death. Yet I'm sure anyone here can find anecdotal evidence of soldiers continuing to fight after suffering wounds that while not immediately lethal wouldve made fighting more difficult.

I don't want such a mechanic to be forced on everyone, but it would be much more interesting. Not only as the person who shoots someone in the leg, but also as the person that can say, "They shot me in the leg, but I still managed to get in there, kill the enemy, and cap the point while limping around." Things like getting the weapon shot out of my hands in RO1 lead to some very epic quick thinking.

Example:
I got shot by a T-34's hull MG, dropped my MP-40. I dove into a trench to avoid getting shot. I then looked back to see if I could retrieve my weapon. HOLY ****! Tracers flew around my head, so no going back. Tossed a nade in the bunker...BOOM! Got a kill, went to grab the Russians weapon. Picked up his DP-28, killed a Russian hip-firing with it. Picked up the second Russians PPSh, killed another Russian with that.

I finally got killed, but none of that epicness wouldve happened if my MP-40 wasn't shot out of my hands.

Upvote 0
I certainly don't want to lose my weapons again.

As to the leg injuries, I don't really see the problem, if you get shot in the leg you are slowed and start bleeding out, this presents a tricky situation where you need to either risk bandaging on the spot, leaving yourself open to additional fire for two extra seconds (which is a long time in an FPS game) as you patch yourself up and then dash for cover. Or you limp for cover while the screen slowly goes black and you hope that you reach cover before it's too late and then start bandaging yourself, and hope your cover is in fact safe and not a place where you can still be shot or where it's easy to throw a grenade.

I think those moments alone are more than enough punishment since hey, most times you get shot in the leg are done for anyway, I've had more deaths in the ten seconds surrounding a leg shot than survivals, in my experience.

Upvote 0
+30

Tripwire modelling a complex human body mesh is almost completely pointless, it doesnt matter where you are hit, pelvis, gut, arm, leg, bone, the bandage does the same thing to all the wounds, at the same speed, and then you suffer nothing after.

Not only do i believe the Ostfront wound effects and system should be brought back, they should do what it should always have, to have permanent negative effects on your movement speed, stability, stamina, accuracy and possibly make you die after a longer period of time.

I also think the slow death should be removed. I dont see the point as all you can do is randomly hit the fire button with the slimmest chance of anything being hit. You cant even waddle around a bit, you are practically dead and out of the game, yet all it does is make you wait longer to spawn.

agree on all points.

Upvote 0