• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

FPS problems, runs poor

Krej

Oct 11, 2010
Feels like the game runs very poorly and fps is not stable at all when you move around in a level, shoot, w/e.

even with the tiniest bit of stuttering it becomes unplayable imo

lowering settings doesnt seem to help if at all, even tho it looks worse than ro1 =D

SLI 460GTX 1gb
6gb ram
i7
windows vista home prem 64bit

ummmmmmm

ummmmmmm

Sounds like a beastly system to me. I have the gtx 460 (single) and a core 2 duo with 2 gigs of ram and I can play on medium fairly well (about 30-50fps) if I stay on the 32 player maps. 64 player maps with 64 players in them will drop the framerate to 20 and I'm forced to set my graphics on low settings just to eek out 30 fps. But when the arty hits? forget about it.

Upvote 0
Why do people watch FPS? Play the game. I've been playing games for well over 30 years and everyone constantly complains about FPS. Don't watch it unless your game is not running smooth and it's only for comparison stats for hardware comparisons and benchmarking.

The human eye can't see much over 30 fps anyway. Full motion Video is only 24 fps.

I play the game on everything ULTRA and I get 30+ when looking and game runs smooth as silk always. If you even pay attention if the FPS on their gauge stays above 30 it's in the green and changes colors when it dips below. The reason for this because they know as well as anyone else anything about 30 is perfectly fine and won't be noticed.

My system AMD Phenom II 1090T (6 Core) all cores running at 3.7GHZ (Overclocked), 16 Gig of RAM, Graphics card is a Nvidia 480GTX for comparison reasons.

People need to stop worrying about FPS unless your game stutters or has graphics lag. Anything greater than 30 fps etc. is for racing games and flight games only, where the sensation of speed is required.

Last edited:
Reactions: THD and vyyye
Upvote 0
Hey Clown, :)
I am old as you are if not older bud, so anytime i get below 20fps the head starts to hurt. I feel much better if i know that im getting 60fps. I realize what your saying about the systems stats, but its more ease of mind knowing that the Headache isnt from the game but maybe the Wife in the background. :p

BTW I am also and Old Flight Sim and Race junkie. Hard to brake old habits i guess.

Last edited:
Reactions: _Dariuszek_
Upvote 0
Hey Steiner. The headaches are from the monitor. Anything sitting at 60hz will cause this. I know because my current monitor won't go above that.

I used to have a CRT that was at 128hz and I never had those kinds of issues. I'm sure another factor with people seeing any kinds of graphics lag is due to their monitors as well.

My thing is everyone wants to know how to show FPS because they have this super system and they expect 100 FPS all the time - it's not going to happen.

I agree fully anything below 30fps sucks but there are many settings you can change to get above that but there are also system settings that need tweaking to help, not game related in the least.

The game is beta and is not fully optimized yet - I bet though if you were to go into RO and many of these people who have been playing it for years may see they have the same kinds of FPS even in that game, but yet it was never an issue.

Personally I just hate constant FPS fan boys wanting 100's of FPS that they'll never get even if they add 4 GPU's to their system. Usually that makes for bigger issues or worse FPS... :p

Reactions: THD
Upvote 0
I have a pretty good PC and have had settings on mostly all high and it was running very well on Apartments, gunmark and the other one... Now playing on grainary its running pretty good and on barracks its ok too; until you throw down the arty. The arty on barracks makes my good PC drop to its knees in FPS.... I really think barracks isnt optimized very well.... Anyone else with this issue??

Upvote 0
Why do people watch FPS? Play the game. I've been playing games for well over 30 years and everyone constantly complains about FPS. Don't watch it unless your game is not running smooth and it's only for comparison stats for hardware comparisons and benchmarking.

The human eye can't see much over 30 fps anyway. Full motion Video is only 24 fps.

Just no, i have been playing game competitively since quake1 and i need at least 55 constant fps to make it feel smooth, at 30fps it feel terribly sluggish for me.

I suggest you inform yourself about what you are stating that the human eyes cant see much over 30fps cause this is totally false. Playing a video game where you actually have control is not watching a movie on a couch.

Reactions: TheAngelKing
Upvote 0
@CLown

well you play game, game feels sluggish, slight stuttering, "man this game runs like shiet!"
Turn ur FPS on, watch it dip and go close to 30, even below?
"well the game really does run like shieat!"

theres nothing to defend or argue really, The game doesnt feel smooth. I'm not a dev or anything so I don't know why. I just play and I can feel that it runs poorly for me and it just makes the game unplayable. (Ofcourse some people accept some slight stutter etc, but I don't, it just ruins a game like nothing else imo)

Upvote 0
Natas you should actually do your research. Anyway as long as the game is above 30FPS game runs smooth as silk for me and that's where it usually stays and I've turned it on to see what you guys constantly complain about.

Once the game dropped below 30FPS which was actually after I died and it showed the whole map with players and arty the game dipped down to about 24FPS and I could see some stutter or graphics lag then but as I stated it was when I was dead and it was displaying everything in the game environment.

I play flight sims and racing games and for the sense of speed these usually run at about 60FPS and you see absolutely no graphics issues but for First Person Shooters 30 is perfectly fine and the norm. Regular RO also plays for me with the highest settings at the exact same frame rates and it's never affected my game play what so ever. Just ask those who've played against me... LOL

Upvote 0
Here's a great description for FPS and the arguments that have been going on for my 30+ years of gaming.

Enjoy the read.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

Anyway to fix all your FPS issues here are two things to do. I made mine go from 30 to 60 steady. All you have to do is turn off MLAA and put it to FXAA or the next setting down from MLAA forget off hand. Then the next thing. By default the game sets your AUDIO to 32 Channels. If you have ONBOARD SOUND as I do VIA to be exact it's ONLY 8 CHANNELS. Move yours all down to 8 Channels and watch your FPS shoot through the roof. The problem is and this is why when ARTY happens and other main things happen it kills your system is because of the SOUND and NOT VIDEO at all.

Enjoy the game.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Sorry but seeing 30fps is different then feeling 30fps in the control, you are really arguing in something where you are totally wrong.

Maybe you are happy to play games with 30fps but for some peoples its totally unacceptable to play with 30fps.

I dont know if you are trying to find a reason to accept why the game right now have such bad performance, because this game with the graphics engine its using should be running at steady 60fps without any drop on a 2years old system without any problem even on medium/low graphics. This is not the case right now.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm not arguing anything I know what it all means, plenty to read in my link and besides I'm never wrong anyone that knows me knows that.... LOL

I know my game runs fine that's all that really matters and that's at a steady 30+ FPS.

For my post above about the Channels this is not sounds heard. You also can not change it in game the setting will always revert back to 32 Channels no matter what.

Go here: C:\Users\****\Documents\My Games\RedOrchestra2\ROGame\Config\ROEngine.ini

[Engine.AudioDevice]
MaxChannels=8

and

[ALAudio.ALAudioDevice]
MaxChannels=8

and

[XAudio2.XAudio2Device]
MaxChannels=8

I actually only changed the XAudio one then entered game and it stuck at 8 then when searching through file again I noticed it changed all 3 settings to 8, so you probably only have to set one to 8 and the rest follow upon next start of game. This is the only way to keep it set because ingame for whatever reason stays at 32 Channels. I also did not notice any difference in sound while playing in game as far as it making it terrible or low.

If you do ~ then Stat FPS on your Menu screen you'll see it jump from 60 to 100+ FPS check FPS before changing file you should be around 60 then after file change mine was 111 FPS, then in game it will be higher by about 10-20 FPS depending and will be much smoother for those with an issue. Give it a whirl see how it works. Let us know.

Last edited:
Reactions: vyyye and THD
Upvote 0
Here's a great description for FPS and the arguments that have been going on for my 30+ years of gaming.

Enjoy the read.

http://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.htmlhttp://www.tweakguides.com/Graphics_5.html

Anyway to fix all your FPS issues here are two things to do. I made mine go from 30 to 60 steady. All you have to do is turn off MLAA and put it to FXAA or the next setting down from MLAA forget off hand. Then the next thing. By default the game sets your AUDIO to 32 Channels. If you have ONBOARD SOUND as I do VIA to be exact it's ONLY 8 CHANNELS. Move yours all down to 8 Channels and watch your FPS shoot through the roof. The problem is and this is why when ARTY happens and other main things happen it kills your system is because of the SOUND and NOT VIDEO at all.

Enjoy the game.

Even the link you posted states that pilots can distinguish between 220 frames per second, 24 fps for movies is the MINIMUM acceptable framerate for viewing moving images, its not the limit, people can definately tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps.

As far as increasing fps, i suggest shadows and detail to low, antialiasing and lighting to medium. Nice boost without that much of a visual hit.

Upvote 0
You go you understand it then. What it tells you is that 30 is normal and good if steady. It's the changes the eye sees not the steady FPS. If you could lock at 60FPS or 30FPS it would look exactly the same to the naked eye.

I know exactly what it says you don't have to tell me I read it and have seen many of the arguments about it over the years and have been gaming for over 30 years. I understand all of it.

Anyway I'm now up to about 100 FPS and let me tell you it's worse than when I was set at 30 steady as the link states - steady is key not the bigger number. It fluctuates too much between 100 and 60 and lags worse than my steady 30.

Anyway you can test all settings for video to see what you'll get by just doing the ~ STAT FPS at your menu screen and changing the settings under VIDEO, but remember it's the SOUND SETTING IN the INI that makes the difference, just keep tweaking until you see what fixes your issues - some make you exit out and go back in but many don't. I've had mine on the menu screen at 160 FPS max thus far and in game about 50-100FPS. Set to HIGH, change SOUND to 8 Channels and you'll all have pretty FPS that you are looking for. I'm going back to my steady 30 on Ultra ran much smoother.

NOTE:
I actually found that setting to Ultra and changing to 16 for Sound makes for a happy medium at about 45 FPS steady. Just tweak to your system specs. Whatever you see in the menu screen for FPS is about half once you enter the actual game to play. So for me at about 111 FPS in Menu as an example gives me 45-55 FPS in game at these settings noted under NOTE:.

Also be aware of the setting for Framerate smoothing. This will then again cut your FPS by half again. The reason the game makers have color coded the FPS meter is because anything above 30FPS is Good when steady. The smoothing click box is so that it can try to determine with your system a happy medium where your game will maintain a particular FPS. So as I mentioned above my fluctuating between 100 and 60 what the game will then do is try setting a steady 60FPS so that you don't have as much fluctuation between the FPS so that you'd then notice the (Graphics Lag).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
You go you understand it then. What it tells you is that 30 is normal and good if steady. It's the changes the eye sees not the steady FPS. If you could lock at 60FPS or 30FPS it would look exactly the same to the naked eye.
That is such a load of bull**** and you should feel bad for posting it ****ing twice. If you honestly can't see the difference between 60 and 30 FPS you need to get your eyes checked. I presume it's more due to the fact that you're simply making things up as you go though. 30 years of gaming experience, pfahahaha. QL pro gamers wouldn't dream of playing at 30 FPS.

http://www.boallen.com/fps-compare.html

Please don't talk about something you clearly know nothing about.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
7-clown-7, thanks for entertainment, it is always amusing to see someone as utterly clueless as yourself talking with such confidence.

Now, to the point: to all who read and believed his posts, I strongly advice you to forget everything you just read, because it is wrong. In fact everything 7-clown-7 says is just his personal opinion, which he thinks is the ultimate truth. It is a lot more complicated than simply "your eye cannot see more than 30 fps", and I don't really see any point in explaining it all here, google is your friend.

What does matter though, for an ordinary player, is how many fps you feel comfortable with. If you feel 60 or 100 is the absolute minimum for a good experience, then it is, and it really doesn't matter that some random slowpoke says "no, you are fine at 30, anything above that is for epeen!!1".

Now if we go further, and consider a player who wants to perform well, or even be competitive, consider 60 fps as the absolute minimum no matter what it looks like to you (though if you can't tell the difference between 30 and 60 fps, I'd say you are a bit too slow to become very good), and 100 fps and above would be preferred.

So, in short, we really do need to be able to get high fps, by turning down settings or otherwise. Atm fps mostly depends on player count and presence of tanks and arty on the map, and it will be low regardless of graphics settings. So, twi, get optimizing!

P.S.
I advice against lowering number of channels from 32 because even 16 will cancel out a lot of relevant sounds. If it causes a problem, get a better sound card or something.

Last edited:
Reactions: vyyye
Upvote 0