• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Do you think they will add more countries?

I have no interest in the western front and to be honest I hope to god it isn't made...as I can see servers depopulating to much.

As for other countries. Would like to see Romania and Italy.

Most of all I want to see more vehicles. Have we got a Stug in the game yet? The most common German AFV and would be great in RO2 as it's role was infantry support. Oh and troop transport. This is needed if where ever going to get large combined ops maps.

Upvote 0
But than I remember the blatent racism of WWII shooters and remember that Germany had no allies at all

The Allies of Germany are called, wait for it now, the Axis. The term originally derives from the German-Italian alliance, which was called the Rome-Berlin Axis, and was later expanded to include all of Germany's allies, such as Japan and Hungary.

Were you under the impression that the term "Axis" referred to Germany alone? It doesn't. If you have a major issue with the term, I'd suggest avoiding Anglophonic games.

The same goes for the term 'Allies.' Capitalized and used as a proper noun, it almost invariably refers to either the Allied powers of the Second World War or the Entente powers of the Great War.

That isn't racism, it's just a reflection of whose language it is we're using.

As for Vietnam-based games, there have been several, as b0sco points out. Personally, I didn't really enjoy Battlefield: Vietnam.

Why? Because jungles are a crappy environment for a shooter. Especially when some people modify the textures to make foliage invisible.

Reactions: Richey79
Upvote 0
Oddly enough, the name "Red Orchestra" (Die Rote Kapelle), doesn't really fit a game that takes place in Russia. It was a name given by the Germans for a Russian spy ring that operated out side of Russia and in various other countries in Europe such as France, Switzerland and even in Germany.

I'm pretty sure it was a German-based resistance movement. At least that's what I was taught at school.

Reactions: RedGuardist
Upvote 0
Red Orchestra was sort of Russian spy organisation back in those days I believe,thats how this game got the name if I'm not wrong.

Nope.

Oddly enough, the name "Red Orchestra" (Die Rote Kapelle), doesn't really fit a game that takes place in Russia. It was a name given by the Germans for a Russian spy ring that operated out side of Russia and in various other countries in Europe such as France, Switzerland and even in Germany.

No, not really.

I'm pretty sure it was a German-based resistance movement. At least that's what I was taught at school.

Exactly was he said. Die Rote Kapelle had pretty much nothing to do with the Soviets. It was a resistance spy-circle consisting of German leftists and communists.

Are you sure you aren't thinking of the White Rose?

Completely a different story.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Nope.

No, not really.

Exactly was he said. Die Rote Kapelle had pretty much nothing to do with the Soviets. It was a resistance spy-circle consisting of German leftists and communists.

Completely a different story.

Actually you are wrong.

Soviets were involved, there were several different groups that were among those called Red Orchestra by the Germans. Lol why do you think it was called "Red"? It was a spy ring that consisted of various different groups including the Russians. Who do you think the communists were spying for?

The meaning of the name from Wikipedia

The term 'Red Orchestra' was coined by the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (RSHA), which referred to resistance radio operators as 'pianists', their transmitters as 'pianos', and their supervisors as 'conductors'.[1] "Red" stood for communism. Thus, German counterintelligence called the Soviet covert network die Rote Kapelle ("the Red Orchestra").

They just weren't involved in the fighting inside Russia which is why I said there was little reason for the name to mean much for a game that is about fighting inside Russia. After all you typically don't spy on your enemies with-in your own boarders as a nation.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
There were others in Stalingrad as well (the Hungarian 2nd Army, an Italian, 2 Romanian and maybe even Croatian volunteers if I remember correctly). But introducing them in the game would take a lot of time (different uniforms, weapons, languages ect.)

edit:
Inb4 Italians with balaclavas. :rolleyes:

Naw, the Italian hero should look like this:p:
4783946662_5d24931a2d.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Actually you are wrong.

Soviets were involved, there were several different groups that were among those called Red Orchestra by the Germans. Lol why do you think it was called "Red"? It was a spy ring that consisted of various different groups including the Russians. Who do you think the communists were spying for?

The meaning of the name from Wikipedia

The term 'Red Orchestra' was coined by the Reichssicherheitshauptamt (RSHA), which referred to resistance radio operators as 'pianists', their transmitters as 'pianos', and their supervisors as 'conductors'.[1] "Red" stood for communism. Thus, German counterintelligence called the Soviet covert network die Rote Kapelle ("the Red Orchestra").

No. You are more on the wrong side. That is what Wikipedia says, but I would not trust Wikipedia in this matter that much.

When I visited a museum exhibition in Germany about German resistance during WWII, the exhibition clearly stated, that the actual Die Rote Kapelle was indeed made out of German leftists and communists. And the group did not have straight connections with the Soviet foreign intelligence spy network. Ofcourse they must have had some sort of connections, but that does not change the fact, that the Red Orchestra was indeed a German resistance group. Not a Soviet spy ring.

Well, I learned at school that it was a German communist resistance... never heard it was iniciated by SU... surely they were likely to have connection there.

It was indeed a resistance spy-network of German communists. It probably had some sort of connections with the Soviets, but it does not change the fact that you are right.

Upvote 0
The Red Orchestra was founded by Leopold Trepper, a Polish Jew inspired by the Russian revolution to join the Polish Communist Party. He eventually ended up in Russia where he was recruited by the NKVD. He established the Red Orchestra in 1939 while working for the Soviets. All members of the organization worked against the Nazi regime, and were from all walks of life. Considering the nations that harbored the Red Orchestra, Germany, France, Holland, and Switzerland, it's safe to assume that the organization was not strictly German, though, considering who the organization was trying to obtain intelligence on, it is also safe to say that Germans were an important asset and likely heavily recruited.

Upvote 0
I have no interest in the western front and to be honest I hope to god it isn't made...as I can see servers depopulating to much.

As for other countries. Would like to see Romania and Italy.

Most of all I want to see more vehicles. Have we got a Stug in the game yet? The most common German AFV and would be great in RO2 as it's role was infantry support. Oh and troop transport. This is needed if where ever going to get large combined ops maps.
I have interest in Western Front...circa 1940 though.

Upvote 0
The Red Orchestra was founded by Leopold Trepper, a Polish Jew inspired by the Russian revolution to join the Polish Communist Party. He eventually ended up in Russia where he was recruited by the NKVD. He established the Red Orchestra in 1939 while working for the Soviets. All members of the organization worked against the Nazi regime, and were from all walks of life. Considering the nations that harbored the Red Orchestra, Germany, France, Holland, and Switzerland, it's safe to assume that the organization was not strictly German, though, considering who the organization was trying to obtain intelligence on, it is also safe to say that Germans were an important asset and likely heavily recruited.

Thank you for the additional information. It seems that the museum exhibition was consentrated on the German fraction and obviously it left something out of focus while doing that.

I would definitely pay for expansions like September Campaign or Winter War. Eastern front wasn't only fight between Third Reich and USSR.

+1

Upvote 0