• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/
Gamification is the future guys, get used to it... And honestly, the base weapons aren't useless, like in some "other" game... :p
In fact, the base weapons are probably what a recruit might get in real life at the time, and they are deadly, so the game is fine, you don't have to unlock anything, its just there to tempt you for another round because you only need 25 more XP! This is why the gamification...

Upvote 0
Talk about making a chicken out a feather. And you seem a bit crazy in your post. Take a chill pill?

Hardly.... my whole point is that the people constantly complaining about unlocks or what classes are available or how a map is designed, or how something seems unfair is what's making a chicken out of a feather, and quite simply, I find all these continuous complaint threads pretty silly..... as they're always over some little insignificant thing.

Every time the game comes out in a new version, you have to relearn and adjust. I had to do it in the mod, I had to do it in RO1 and I'm doing it now in RO2.

Just expecting everything to remain the exact same to what you're used to is silly and only forces a game to become dated and old.

Anyway, the realistic approach worked in RO1. So I don't get why the drum mag have to an unlock for the ppesh. Just seem so unnecessary. And it makes less sense that this have to be balanced with giving the mp40 a 64 bullet magazine. Unlocks just for the hell of it.

Just keep it like it was in RO1. It also gave you a reason to pick up the ppesh from a fallen soviet solider.

And I know it's a game. Let's replace "gamey" with "arcady" then. Sounds better?

I actually have more reason to pickup a weapon in RO2 than I ever did in RO1, especially now that I can carry two.

As already explained in another thread I posted in a while back, right around the time this game takes place, the Russians were switching out from the drum mags to the mag clips due to them jamming often and being cumbersome to reload, thus RO1 was what wasn't "Realistic" in this approach..... by the time most of these maps were taking place, most SMG users were using clips.

"....A copy of the Finnish M31 Suomi magazine, the PPSh drum magazine held 71 rounds. In practice, misfeeding of the spring was likely to occur with more than 65 or so cartridges. In addition to feed issues, the drum magazine was slower and more complicated to load with ammunition than the later 35-round box magazine that increasingly supplemented the drum after 1942. While holding fewer cartridges, the box magazine did have the advantage of providing a superior handhold for the supporting hand....."

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41

Upvote 0
Okay... Here are my 2 rubles on the topic...

1st - Enough already with the CoD bashing... If you dont like the game , okay... But what is your problem ? If you dont count the recent Xboxing of the game , and ,,We wanna be as rich as blizzard`` DLC kind of things , than you can really see how amazing that game used to be. It was a prime time FPS for like 5 years , without any game close enough to even compete... And now , you consider yourself some experienced gamer , with enough game time ( ye , right ... ) to join the bashing bandwagon... Jesus... Why dont you just eat a fork or something ?

2nd - Lets get on topic here... So what you want , is basically for the game to be completely unprogressive from the moment you start playing ? And how long do you think that is going to hold a gamer... Besides having fun while killing people , unlockables and Ratings are only reasons people constantly keep playing the same game. To see more weapons , to unlock new gear , to be the 1st on the ratings , and be able to gloat to your friends for having a lower score than you... Or even , what World of Tanks did , to unlock more maps to play , as you progress ingame.
And besides , what was that comparison to 13 yr old kids ? ummm... If you have time to game , you must be 13 yrs old ? I`m sensing some issues here. Just because your life is based in a way , that allows you an Hour of time for yourself every 2nd weekend , doesnt mean that some of us managed to make it better... Adding this comment , to your CoD comments , make me believe that you are srsly ****ed up , and to be honest , would rather to -Not- see you at all ingame...

Anyway , all in all , Unlockables are there for a reason... They shouldent be removed , hell , if you ask me , there should be a lot more of them. Cuz I want my time spend ingame , my score and my ,,dedication`` so to say , to give me better in-game experience than somebody like you would have...

Reactions: Damo
Upvote 0
Personally I think everything should be unlocked from the start, in all games. The unlocking of weapons is just cheap way of trying to keep people playing, instead they should make games fun enough that you want to play because you enjoy playing, not cos you need x more kills to get the weapon you would like to use.

Upvote 0
A few people here have already said that it's a cheap way of having people's attention longer. Another thread I think made a poll about Balance vs Authenticity, and Authenticity won by a large margin if I remember.
But here are a few other reasons in a more simple manner for me not liking the system.

1. This is really a big issue by the way: Having an unlock system makes people focus more on getting kills with their gun rather than helping their team, notice the huge difference in people capping points before and after stat tracking.

2. It removes the focus of teamplay, encourages non-defensive camping.

3. It completely scews the type of hardcore gameplay that RO was known for, which essentially makes it a non red orchestra game really.

4. Calling a game realistic and then adding an unlock system is silly.

Oh and everyone who don't like the comparison to Call of duty here is why it is used so much. It has been said several times by people on the forums that this is in no way like Call of Duty, I believe even some devs and mods have said it though I do not remember. That is why it should be embarrasing when there are big similarities between the two. If they want to make it like that it's fine, but then don't claim it isn't, cause that is just false advertisement isn't it.

And please don't accuse me of being angry cause I am not. I think if a lot of people agree with this, tripwire will add a mode with all of the stuff unlocked so I think it's worthwhile.

Upvote 0
A few people here have already said that it's a cheap way of having people's attention longer. Another thread I think made a poll about Balance vs Authenticity, and Authenticity won by a large margin if I remember.
But here are a few other reasons in a more simple manner for me not liking the system.

1. This is really a big issue by the way: Having an unlock system makes people focus more on getting kills with their gun rather than helping their team, notice the huge difference in people capping points before and after stat tracking.

2. It removes the focus of teamplay, encourages non-defensive camping.

3. It completely scews the type of hardcore gameplay that RO was known for, which essentially makes it a non red orchestra game really.

4. Calling a game realistic and then adding an unlock system is silly.

Oh and everyone who don't like the comparison to Call of duty here is why it is used so much. It has been said several times by people on the forums that this is in no way like Call of Duty, I believe even some devs and mods have said it though I do not remember. That is why it should be embarrasing when there are big similarities between the two. If they want to make it like that it's fine, but then don't claim it isn't, cause that is just false advertisement isn't it.

And please don't accuse me of being angry cause I am not. I think if a lot of people agree with this, tripwire will add a mode with all of the stuff unlocked so I think it's worthwhile.
I agree on all points.

I have nothing against unlocks in general, but for certain games it brings out the worst in gamers.

Take BF2 for example, (I got that game at launch believing that it was something that it certainly was not), after playing the game for a while it was obvious that some people had no interest in teamplay, generally did not care at all about objectives and used every means possible to gain score. There were a lot of problems with point farming and the like.

For me RO was always about playing for the team, not scoring the top score, I can have just as fun playing a supporting role that's not in the midst of the fighting if I feel that I'm contributing and if I feel that others appreciate what I'm doing.

Unlocks may very well end up destroying the team spirit that sometimes emerges in RO.
And while unlocks certainly will bring more customers to the game it may very well be what kills it in the end as it becomes just another shooter.

Upvote 0
Okay... Here are my 2 rubles on the topic...

2nd - Lets get on topic here... So what you want , is basically for the game to be completely unprogressive from the moment you start playing ? And how long do you think that is going to hold a gamer... Besides having fun while killing people , unlockables and Ratings are only reasons people constantly keep playing the same game. To see more weapons , to unlock new gear , to be the 1st on the ratings , and be able to gloat to your friends for having a lower score than you... Or even , what World of Tanks did , to unlock more maps to play , as you progress ingame.

Anyway , all in all , Unlockables are there for a reason... They shouldent be removed , hell , if you ask me , there should be a lot more of them. Cuz I want my time spend ingame , my score and my ,,dedication`` so to say , to give me better in-game experience than somebody like you would have...

RO1 still has people playing it years later without any unlockables. Unlocks on thier own do not add longevity to a game, great gameplay, continued developer support, and custom content do however. I for one did not want unlocks of any kind in RO2. I had hoped, based on what we were told, that rare/obscure weapons like the MP-40/2 would indeed be very rare in the game. That is certainly not the case, anyone who levels the MP-40 to level 25 now automatically will always get the MP-40/2. Sure, unlocks give some people a goal to work towards and are rewarding to obtain, but for me the cheapen the gameplay with silly unlocks. What I'd like most at this point, is not to remove unlocks from the game but to allow those of us who don't want them to play with weapon loadouts similar to RO1 (through a server side option, the only option now is to disable ALL unlocks).

Upvote 0
I got 16 hours into the game, I think my highest weapon level is 6 (I play multiple classes and weapons). Yet it honestly doesn't matter. You know why? Because the Stock Weapons are just that good.

I am always one of the highest scoring on my team, I don't think at any point I have said that I could'n use any weapons, but if you payed attention to more than a few lines you should notice that this entire thread is not about wether we can get kills is it now.

Upvote 0
I personally do not need unlocks, multiple weapons, stats, leader boards or any other such garbage that people want to brag about to their friends.

If you want to know who is a good player, The player that is valuable to their team is not necessarily the one who gets the most kills or sits on the top of the leader boards, it is not the one that unlocks all of the weapons, it is the one that can master the basic weapon, it is that player that works with his team, it is the player that without his assistance the team would have fallen apart. That is what the difference in RO2 for many players is about.

If the need to be king of the hill is so important to you, try another one of those games, but for those that want to have some fun, have one of those Oh Yeah, moments where the whole team appears unstoppable, where the whole group works like a finely tuned machine, a moment when even though you just were beaten like a red headed step child, and you give kudos to the team that just beat you because of well earned respect, that is what RO2 is about to some players. :D

Upvote 0