• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

KittyKitsune

Grizzled Veteran
Aug 18, 2011
I think unlock is a kick to the balls of the RO1 players who did'n have a lot of time for games. I am not saying this is game breaking but I hate the fact that part of the game is set up to annoy the crap out of you, unless you are 13 years old and have tons of time. I am 19 and I am taking more than one degree so obviously I do not have time to play this game 24/7 even if I do enjoy it a lot.

I enjoyed played RO1 so much because I could get together with my internet or real life friend in weekends and play a fun realistic ww2 game.

I am going to say I prefer, rather than I want, because I still want this game.

I would prefer that when I bought a game, I could play it. I don't want to invest time in it in order to play it, if I pay money for it then I want all the content, compared to that RO2 actually have a lot less content to begin with compared to RO1 I find it seriously annoying that like call of duty, I will have to play with a gun I may not like in order to get to one I do like.
I was never an MP40 fan but I would like the MKB42, I get the deluxe edition so it's not a problem for me but out of principle, I honestly think it's bull, I don't understand why every game has to be TF2 / Call of duty now. Can't you just give me the weapons and let me play with them?

There are still lot's of people playing RO1 so obviously you can have replay value if the game is good just look at counter strike.

If you abselutely have to jump on the call of duty band wagon then I would prefer that RO2 atleast did'n have long unlock times like killing floor, which it seems like it really does. I have some 200 kills with the nagant and i am only level 10 so not even half way to a bayonet that came standard in RO1.

This is a step backwards by far in my oppinion.

[Edit] I am not angry :/ I just thought I wouls share my take on improvements I find this to be pretty constructive critisism.

Last edited:
Progressive stats and unlocks are something many, many, many people enjoy in games. It gives you a much greater connection to a weapon or class and gives you a goal in a game. It may sound silly to you, and you may hate it, but having goals set in front of you in games for you to achieve has a lot of appeal especially if we are rewarded for it in some way.

It's one of the reasons RPG's are hugely popular in gaming and why more and more game genres try to incorporate it into games. though some do it better than others.
I for one really enjoy the unlock system.

Also, only being 19, never stereotype people to being "13 year olds" if they enjoy a system you say you don't have time for, that is asinine.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I have no problem with progressive stats and unlocking either in it's core, but unlocking things which were completely standard like bayonets and drum magazines for the ppsh how does that make any sense.

Like I said, it's not like I won't play it, I would just prefer if every game isn't like Call of Duty, and honestly saying this bears no resemblence to CoD anymore would be a downright lie, red orchestra franchise moved miles closer to CoD with this release.

I'd just prefer if they added to RO1 insted of changing what made it good, you may be new to RO but I am not. And I don't think that this can replace RO1 as it is which is what I had hoped, I still think it's a brilliant game had just hoped it would be better.

Reactions: dogbadger
Upvote 0
I have no problem with progressive stats and unlocking either in it's core, but unlocking things which were completely standard like bayonets and drum magazines for the ppsh how does that make any sense.

Like I said, it's not like I won't play it, I would just prefer if every game isn't like Call of Duty, and honestly saying this bears no resemblence to CoD anymore would be a downright lie, red orchestra franchise moved miles closer to CoD with this release.

I'd just prefer if they added to RO1 insted of changing what made it good, you may be new to RO but I am not. And I don't think that this can replace RO1 as it is which is what I had hoped, I still think it's a brilliant game had just hoped it would be better.
Franky, I am really sick of Call of Duty being thrown around everywhere. There were hundreds of games, including FPS to incorporate unlock systems in their gameplay before the whole "modern warfare" franchise came out of CoD. It's becoming a pretty big pet peeve of mine in gaming where every single little thing has to be compared to SOMETHING in CoD.
RO2 and CoD are both shooters, they will ALWAYS have innate similarities, the incessant CoD comparisons have got to stop.

Regarding the PPSH; you do not like that you have to unlock the drum mag because it was more common than the stick mag? But it would be perfectly fine compared to the MP 40 which has to also unlock it's dual mag? They made you start with a stick mag for balance reasons, but since there really was a stick mag available for the PPSH authenticity is kept in check.

As for bayonets, I find it silly to be angry about unlocking these, as you are still able to bash enemies with your stock.

I can understand being concerned about an unlock system going to far (you have to unlock bullets for you gun joke) but I don't see that in RO2. You are easily effective with what you start with.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
As for bayonets, I find it silly to be angry about unlocking these, as you are still able to bash enemies with your stock.

Really? Bayoneting was the most fun part of Red Orchestra. Just loved stabbing guys with their previous MP40s, PPSH, and STGs in regular RO, removing bayonet makes the game considerably less fun than before.

Furthermore, not everyone is a fan of RPGs, I for one was never a big fan and still am not and I am in same boat as Kitty where I am studying wizardry full time and ergo have little time to mindlessly level up to unlock the best part of the game, especially, when most people aren't even gonna use the bloody bayonet, its just going to be a few of us as always.

And one more thing, Kitty might be angry but I am raging like the Lion of Lech!!!

Upvote 0
I find unlocks to be a cheap and easy way for developers to maintain the attention of its players.

gone are the days where developers spent time creating a good, rewarding, and enjoyable game, where people played not for new shiny unlocks but because they truly enjoyed the game itself.

I personally dont like unlocks much, especially in a game that is trying so hard to flaunt realism. I mean come on, now i hear that you can use the MP40/II...really?

I can tolerate it but i dont like it. If i wanted to witness the grind of unlocking new items i'd play an mmo

Upvote 0
Franky, I am really sick of Call of Duty being thrown around everywhere. There were hundreds of games, including FPS to incorporate unlock systems in their gameplay before the whole "modern warfare" franchise came out of CoD. It's becoming a pretty big pet peeve of mine in gaming where every single little thing has to be compared to SOMETHING in CoD.
RO2 and CoD are both shooters, they will ALWAYS have innate similarities, the incessant CoD comparisons have got to stop.

Regarding the PPSH; you do not like that you have to unlock the drum mag because it was more common than the stick mag? But it would be perfectly fine compared to the MP 40 which has to also unlock it's dual mag? They made you start with a stick mag for balance reasons, but since there really was a stick mag available for the PPSH authenticity is kept in check.

I can understand being concerned about an unlock system going to far (you have to unlock bullets for you gun joke) but I don't see that in RO2. You are easily effective with what you start with.

Yeah but the MP40 dual mag was a failure and never fully adopted. It was initially said that it was to be a very rare weapon in RO2, and now anyone that uses the MP40 will get one, for 'balance' reasons. Which is what I think a lot of people dont like, that RO2 shouldnt have this artificial balance added to the weapons to make everything 'fair'.

Upvote 0

The reason for the CoD references is that RO2 resembles those styles of shooters more than it resembles RO1. Has the same basic systems and has kept almost nothing from RO1.

Upvote 0
Yeah but the MP40 dual mag was a failure and never fully adopted. It was initially said that it was to be a very rare weapon in RO2, and now anyone that uses the MP40 will get one, for 'balance' reasons. Which is what I think a lot of people dont like, that RO2 shouldnt have this artificial balance added to the weapons to make everything 'fair'.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Why does everything have to be so balanced? It's more fun when sides have diffrent advantages / disadvantages.

Stuff like this just feels so gamey.

Upvote 0
Thing is, you're just as capable as anyone who is max. rank.

You can still kill enemies with one shot, you can still sprint to that cap point.

Ranking and unlocks just give people another thing to play for. And TBH, arena shooters where everyone is on the same page gameplay-wise have pretty much died out in the last 5-ish years. Not saying I didn't love them, it's just that their time has passed and people are looking for more wholesome experiences.

With that in mind, RO is probably one of the farthest things from that sort of shooter to begin with. So why not just include something for people who like to chase carrots on sticks?

Upvote 0
Well the people that like unlocks and weapon upgrades can keep em, but it keeps seeming that those of us who want the hard-core aspects of RO1 are being forgotten.

Its not that I don't like unlocks/upgrades I just dont want them in my RO2 experience. The only option as of now is to play with unlocks disabled, but that doesnt solve the problem of the ppsh drum mag or bayonets being unavailable.

Upvote 0
I think unlock is a kick to the balls of the RO1 players who did'n have a lot of time for games. I am not saying this is game breaking but I hate the fact that part of the game is set up to annoy the crap out of you, unless you are 13 years old and have tons of time. I am 19 and I am taking more than one degree so obviously I do not have time to play this game 24/7 even if I do enjoy it a lot.

Well as an old Mod player, being 31, working and starting a family, I don't have all the time in the world either, but I don't mind and I'll unlock things and progress in my own time. It's not a race.

I enjoyed played RO1 so much because I could get together with my internet or real life friend in weekends and play a fun realistic ww2 game.

I am going to say I prefer, rather than I want, because I still want this game.

I would prefer that when I bought a game, I could play it. I don't want to invest time in it in order to play it, if I pay money for it then I want all the content, compared to that RO2 actually have a lot less content to begin with compared to RO1 I find it seriously annoying that like call of duty, I will have to play with a gun I may not like in order to get to one I do like.
I was never an MP40 fan but I would like the MKB42, I get the deluxe edition so it's not a problem for me but out of principle, I honestly think it's bull, I don't understand why every game has to be TF2 / Call of duty now. Can't you just give me the weapons and let me play with them?

There are still lot's of people playing RO1 so obviously you can have replay value if the game is good just look at counter strike.

If you abselutely have to jump on the call of duty band wagon then I would prefer that RO2 atleast did'n have long unlock times like killing floor, which it seems like it really does. I have some 200 kills with the nagant and i am only level 10 so not even half way to a bayonet that came standard in RO1.

This is a step backwards by far in my oppinion.

To each their own.... I personally don't care. I will play and enjoy the game with what I'm given to use.

I prefer the MP41 over the 40..... I prefer the PPD over the PPsh..... but it's not that big of a deal for me if I can't use them, or can use them right away. A weapon is a weapon.

Upvote 0
Really? Bayoneting was the most fun part of Red Orchestra. Just loved stabbing guys with their previous MP40s, PPSH, and STGs in regular RO, removing bayonet makes the game considerably less fun than before.

Furthermore, not everyone is a fan of RPGs, I for one was never a big fan and still am not and I am in same boat as Kitty where I am studying wizardry full time and ergo have little time to mindlessly level up to unlock the best part of the game, especially, when most people aren't even gonna use the bloody bayonet, its just going to be a few of us as always.

And one more thing, Kitty might be angry but I am raging like the Lion of Lech!!!
There is nothing stopping you from playing on an unranked server that has bayonets unlocked regardless of level.
There is also nothing that says just because you have limited play time doesn't mean you will never gain unlocks, you will still get them and probably fairly quickly since the leveling system does not seem to be that intense. In other words, you can rage up a storm about it but once you unlock you won't have to care about it anymore.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

It makes sense in that it's a video game. You still have bullets for your PPsh and you can still club the crap out of people with your weapon.... heck you can do it with your binoculars.

Big deal.... every game is a rip off of another. Some could say Battlefield ripped off Call of Duty.... others could say Call of Duty ripped off Medal of Honor, and they all can be tracked all the way back to Wolf3D or even further back if one want to get that nit picky.

And many of those games took things from Red Orchestra.... so what?

To be perfectly honest, RO2 has a closer feel to the mod, Combined Arms, than it does to RO1, which I like.

Many of the maps for the mod were smaller and very intense with fighting (Karlovka, Berlin, Warsaw)... where in RO1, everybody seemed to focus more on huge maps which took forever to navigate through, let alone fine someone to shoot. Some of them are appealing and I like them.... but not all the time.

In RO2, they seemed to have taken the game a few steps backwards to the feel of ROCA but with a pile more features and better graphics.

You might like to dismiss other people's opinions because they might be new to the game and you're not..... but if you want to go down that path, than I've been in the RO community longer than you have so I therefore veto your comments :D

The point being is that just because you have been playing RO longer than other people, that doesn't automatically make you more right then they are..... just because I've been playing RO longer than you, that also doesn't make me more right than you.

Your opinion is you're own, just like everyone else's.

I find unlocks to be a cheap and easy way for developers to maintain the attention of its players.

gone are the days where developers spent time creating a good, rewarding, and enjoyable game, where people played not for new shiny unlocks but because they truly enjoyed the game itself.

Yet you can't have both? :confused:

Strange.

Yeah, I don't get that either. Why does everything have to be so balanced? It's more fun when sides have diffrent advantages / disadvantages.

Stuff like this just feels so gamey.

Lol.... there are piles of people in here complaining about the lack of balance on certain maps.... people are complaining about the lack of balance with riflemen vs. SMG's & Semi Autos..... complaints about all sorts of things being unbalanced...

... and when suddenly the devs make something balanced for gameplay, suddenly it's not "Realism"

Tell you what.... you guys want realism and very little balance?

Fine, start the game up hop on a server and let the game determine your rank, your class and the weapons you use with no say in the matter.

In real life do you think a soldier in the German or Russian armies were allowed to nit pick over what weapons they could use or what class they'd be assigned to?

"Sir, I don't want to be assault..... I want a rifle with a shiny bayonet..... no wait I changed my mind, I want to use an MP41, but not that MP40...... hmmmm.... on second thought, I want a sniper rifle, but not that one because the scope has a scratch on it."

Two rounds in your skull is what you'd get.

It's a fk'n video game people. Yes it revolves around a lot of realism details most other games don't..... but just because it features more realistic things than other games, to suddenly expect it to swing full out into realism and not be a video game is ridiculous.

But the thing is, all you people preaching on about realism this and realism that don't really believe in having full realism in the first damn place. You all pick and choose what you think is "Realism" and turn a blind eye to the game elements you like, regardless of how non-real they are.

Being able to load up the game and just pick and choose what you want without having to work for it and earn it?

Yeah, cuz that's real. :rolleyes:

You want real?

Then take out all the options to choose your class, your team or your weapons & equipment and deal with what the game gives you. In fact, you shouldn't even be able to choose the map you go to.... it should be picked for you.... that's realism. You're sent where you're needed, you're given what's available and what your rank qualifies you for.... and if you tried to rage quit because you don't get what you wanted, you'd be shot for desertion.

Make it so that when you are shot and killed in the game, the game shuts down, uninstalls and you can never play it again..... that's realism.

It's a friggin video game people. Get over yourselves.

Stuff like this feels so "Gamey?"

Guess what?

It is a Game.

Last edited:
Reactions: WhiteMeat
Upvote 0
Lol.... there are piles of people in here complaining about the lack of balance on certain maps.... people are complaining about the lack of balance with riflemen vs. SMG's & Semi Autos..... complaints about all sorts of things being unbalanced...

... and when suddenly the devs make something balanced for gameplay, suddenly it's not "Realism"

Tell you what.... you guys want realism and very little balance?

Fine, start the game up hop on a server and let the game determine your rank, your class and the weapons you use with no say in the matter.

In real life do you think a soldier in the German or Russian armies were allowed to nit pick over what weapons they could use or what class they'd be assigned to?

"Sir, I don't want to be assault..... I want a rifle with a shiny bayonet..... no wait I changed my mind, I want to use an MP41, but not that MP40...... hmmmm.... on second thought, I want a sniper rifle, but not that one because the scope has a scratch on it."

Two rounds in your skull is what you'd get.

It's a fk'n video game people. Yes it revolves around a lot of realism details most other games don't..... but just because it features more realistic things than other games, to suddenly expect it to swing full out into realism and not be a video game is ridiculous.

But the thing is, all you people preaching on about realism this and realism that don't really believe in having full realism in the first damn place. You all pick and choose what you think is "Realism" and turn a blind eye to the game elements you like, regardless of how non-real they are.

Being able to load up the game and just pick and choose what you want without having to work for it and earn it?

Yeah, cuz that's real. :rolleyes:

You want real?

Then take out all the options to choose your class, your team or your weapons & equipment and deal with what the game gives you. In fact, you shouldn't even be able to choose the map you go to.... it should be picked for you.... that's realism. You're sent where you're needed, you're given what's available and what your rank qualifies you for.... and if you tried to rage quit because you don't get what you wanted, you'd be shot for desertion.

Make it so that when you are shot and killed in the game, the game shuts down, uninstalls and you can never play it again..... that's realism.

It's a friggin video game people. Get over yourselves.

Stuff like this feels so "Gamey?"

Guess what?

It is a Game.

Talk about making a chicken out a feather. And you seem a bit crazy in your post. Take a chill pill?

Anyway, the realistic approach worked in RO1. So I don't get why the drum mag have to an unlock for the ppesh. Just seem so unnecessary. And it makes less sense that this have to be balanced with giving the mp40 a 64 bullet magazine. Unlocks just for the hell of it.

Just keep it like it was in RO1. It also gave you a reason to pick up the ppesh from a fallen soviet solider.

And I know it's a game. Let's replace "gamey" with "arcady" then. Sounds better?

Upvote 0
I don't have a huge amount of time either, and not having everything unlocked does not bother me in the slightest. This does not strike me as a game where gun trumps tactical prowess and team synergy.

So what if some 13 yr. old kid on the internet has a Modified Sturmgewehr? Why would that bother you? You either enjoy the gameplay itself, or you don't...
As you have stated, you play with friends on the weekends, so I really can't see a problem here.
Also, as I understand it, admins can have everything unlocked on the unofficial servers.
If little Sturmgewehr kids bother you - there's also servers for that.

So to reiterate, it is a step backwards only if you make it so.

Upvote 0