• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Hit Detection/Netcode

I've had this too, but only ever on the EVO clan server. It very much seemed l ike lag instead of erroneous hit detection; sometimes my movements would be jerky too, which is weird because the server seemed to have a good ping in the browser. I would experience exactly the same thing, that I need to shoot a guy multiple times. However when I changed server all worked perfectly.

Upvote 0
Basically it depends on the server.

You can test out if the server is working correctly by walking up to a wall and fire a shot into it.

If there's a noticeable delay the server is laggy and you might as well quit and find another.

If there's NO noticeable delay the server is working as intended and you can enjoy playing.

I'm unsure what causes this because there can be delays on low ping servers and no delays on medium ping servers.

Upvote 0
I've had this too, but only ever on the EVO clan server. It very much seemed l ike lag instead of erroneous hit detection; sometimes my movements would be jerky too, which is weird because the server seemed to have a good ping in the browser. I would experience exactly the same thing, that I need to shoot a guy multiple times. However when I changed server all worked perfectly.

Dion im from EVO Clan, i know we thought it was our Server but obv not :D Jump on again sometime.

Upvote 0
Although the video shows a really, really extreme example of hit detection issues, there are some cases where it happens but not quite as obviously:

Red Orchestra 2 Beta: First Impressions - YouTube

Watch what happens at exactly 2:30. Note that the player thought it was a miss, but if you look closely it absolutely should have been a hit.

Even this is a pretty obvious example. It's really impossible to tell how often or exactly when this happens because it looks just like a miss. If you shoot at someone who is sprinting 100 meters away, for example, there would be no way to tell if you just missed or if the hit detection failed.

Looks like it could be a pretty nefarious bug.

Upvote 0
Good post, Shumi.

I've also experienced this. Considering I'm an Australian and my clan's server is American you'd be inclined to say it was simply ping difference. However, I've been in several of the exact same circumstances as Shumi with hit registration completely non-existent.

---------------------------------------------------------------

Moving on, slightly off topic, but nevertheless (the title does say netcode):

More of a gripe than anything is the lack of anti-lag (ping compensation) for this game. Please, this is not a flame. It's a personal concern presented in a reasonable manner and I felt obliged to offer my two cents on it. And please correct me if I'm wrong here... if these corrections were done in a similarly amicable fashion that would be pleasing =)

I read the response of the dev reponsible for netcode (my apologies for not remembering your name!) when he posted on the issue a couple of months back. As far as I remember, I found his response completely unsatisfactory; being mainly along the lines of "it is unrealistic to be killed, or appear to be killed, by a high ping player when you've already taken cover or are around a corner". That was the gist I got. There may have been some more complicated issues that I didn't understand, or are behind the scenes. I also recognise that I'm in a minority (international players in a clan) and I completely understand that TWI isn't expected to cater for me alone. It is, however, incredibly frustrating to take a corner and be killed because the bullet you fired hasn't even registered with the server.

On the the first issue - appearances are evidently deceptive. Without anti-lag, the unfortunate high-pinger must manually adjust for both the movement of the enemy player (a realistic requirement for lead) AND ALSO for the bullet delay (not realistic). At 100 yrds in the game this is almost equivalent to a full inch on a monitor if the target is moving quickly at 90*. In CQB this anticipation is next to impossible, as the player could be darting any direction. Forgetting CQB, take a typical example. Player A (in a window) shooting at Player B (crossing a street). If player A is a high ping player, then without anti-lag he has to lead off (as above) drastically decreasing the area (and time) in which he has to take the shot. Nevertheless he makes it and feels good about himself. The dead player thinks "boy oh boy, that guy got me good" or something else pleasant. Now consider the example with anti-lag. The high-ping player has the luxury of aiming with a realistic lead at the enemy and makes the shot again. However this time the opposition player is slightly nonplussed as to him, at least ostensibly, he was around the corner.

Evidently, the appearence of what happened is completely irrelevant. Player B was killed in the middle of the street on both occassions. The second one just happened to be fairer for the high-ping player when all things are considered.

Many games (we all know the ones) have successfully implemented the use of anti-lag which, quite successfully, allows gamplay to flow completely unhindered while providing the opportunity for disadvantaged gamers like myself to actually compete on a level playing field. I realise RO1 didn't have anti-lag either (yes, I own it, play it, and love it). But that was 2k6. RO1 also didn't have zoom, nice graphics, accessible gameplay, more realistic weapon handling and lovely artillery and gore effects - which are, to my mind, fantastic improvements all around.

What are people's thoughts on this? <- not a hollow statement, unlike most people who ask that question I'm genuinely interested in the response others have to offer.

--If this was completely irrelevant someone please draw my attention to it and I'll begin a new post.

Cheers,

Wally

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While horrible, I don't think the video shows anything to the devs. I have some 15h in RO2 so far and it has never been anywhere near that bad.

So it's not a baseline flaw in the game at the moment, that was clearly more related to the server or something.

But yes, I've periodically witnessed some issues with hit detection too, but they are indeed so random and periodic that it could simply be related to my connection, the victims connection or the server.

Upvote 0

This worries me, I'm EVO's server admin for RO2 in and if you look at the statistics the server should be running fine with 32 players (which it's not).

After a couple of days of testing this is what I've seen:
CPU usage normally at 50-60% with 32 players on. When joining the server the ping is good (< 50 in the EU) and using STAT FPS you get similar results. But... when you look in WebAdmin or use AdminPlayerlist command in-game every player has a ping of 50-100 if you're just a few players and climbing up into the 300's as you get 32-64 players.
STAT FPS and Server Browser contradicts the Server-side pings.

Some spec's for the server:
Processor: AMD x2 4800 (Dual-Core 2.5 Ghz)
Memory/RAM: 4GB DDR2 800MHz
Operating System: Windows Server 2008 R2
Connection: 100/100 mbit/s

This is a box that has previously been running dual ArmA2 Servers and a TS3 Server. It should be able to run a RO2 just fine.

Upvote 0
Does dust/bullet holes in walls happen client side or server side? Occasionally when I've seen this happen I've noticed that you can actually see the dust flying up behind the character that you are shooting at, which indicates the game at least on my end knows the bullets are hitting there.

It can also be difficult to isolate because sometimes it is hard to differentiate between a hit and a wounding shot.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This seems to have gotten worse after the patch. I'm having trouble hitting people standing still with multiple rounds to the back. I have a feeling it's not anything to do with lag at all, something's just really inconsistent with the hit detection. This happens on low ping servers too, and it's extremely schizophrenic with when it wants to happen. Some more videos of this happening would be great, it's really made playing bolt action frustrating.

Upvote 0
This seems to have gotten worse after the patch. I'm having trouble hitting people standing still with multiple rounds to the back. I have a feeling it's not anything to do with lag at all, something's just really inconsistent with the hit detection. This happens on low ping servers too, and it's extremely schizophrenic with when it wants to happen. Some more videos of this happening would be great, it's really made playing bolt action frustrating.

Yep this is confirmed, Rego up close-meduim is really bad.. I'm talking about people with there back to me crosshair dead center and it just doesnt register a single shot, infact testing on a server today it took me awhole clip to kill someone with there back turned and barly moving.. defintaly needs to be found out and fixed properly :mad::mad::mad:

Upvote 0
Yep this is confirmed, Rego up close-meduim is really bad.. I'm talking about people with there back to me crosshair dead center and it just doesnt register a single shot, infact testing on a server today it took me awhole clip to kill someone with there back turned and

...STANDING STILL!!!

He had his back turned to me and didn't move at all.
I was aiming slowly and trying to hit him from 8m distance.

I fired whole G41 clip, and the last bullet hit and killed him.
Magazine! :)

I had this happened before, but never this obviously.
And I simply don't join servers with more then 100ms ping :mad:

Last edited:
Upvote 0