• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Realistic Bullets

I understand the science, but I have directly argued with tripwire about this. The reason is simple, bullet ballistics are compared serverside. This means you have to lead for bullet travel time + ping. (note that if you shoot a wall really close, you will hear a double sound from the gun firing and then the bullet hitting the wall when it should be near instantaneous. Try this on a 500 ping server, the lag is half a second)

I myself prefer the more common calculation of ballistics clientside, which means you hit a guy, he runs for (ping)milliseconds and then the hit gets calculated. The downside to this is you may think you took cover when on someone elses screen they got you, and you go down "unfairly".

Yeah I'm thinking this is the problem, at 100m in apartment I'm shooting 3m+ ahead and if they slow down or switch direction its an easy dodge. At close range I have shot the leading edge of their body and center but missed. While randomly firing my gun i can see visible delay at 5 feet shooting at a wall.

I live in Canada so my ping is always around 100ms which makes it worse.

Upvote 0
I don't understand how all over the forums everyone says they can't hit anything at all but when I play I'm getting killed so easily by some of the greatest shots I've seen from literally everyone on the opposing team.

Because we probably shot at you 5-6 times (at least!) before we actually hit you.

I regularly spend 2-3 clips trying to hit one German on FallenFighters from my little snipers perch...

Upvote 0
reason for serverside ballistics to help keep asshats from hacking as easy. Also This is RO, if you want laser bullets with no lead go play Halo or COD

I love how the end-all argument on these forums is to go play a hitscan ****fest.

We aren't complaining about having to lead a target, we're complaining about inconsistent latency ****ing with our leads. Soldiers in the Eastern Front never had to worry about their ping throwing their shots off. Discussing a possible middle-ground is a perfectly valid solution.

Upvote 0
I believe Battlefield Bad Company 2 had it calculated clientside - that way, you could "hit" targets on your screen, but the actual death would be delayed until the server recieved the information to kill your target and then relayed it back to you.

Basically the hit detection and the mediocre ballistics of BC2 were calculated clientside - if a hit was made, that info was sent to the server, which when the character died, the animation/death update was then sent back to the client.

This worked well and there were no "death ray" hacks to my knowledge where hackers just went around issuing "I hit this player" variables to the server.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

In RO1 I would regularly hit moving targets at most ranges, now I have to lead about a foot to hit a guy sprinting from 30 meters away. To make matters worse, I can almost never see where my bullets actually land, which makes it even harder to figure out lead time.

Oh Nader, dieter is obviously a troll. He gets on RO2 having squad spawns, but forgets that WW2 Online, which he says he plays, has magic boxes that pop out players close to the fighting.

Upvote 0
I'm glad I'm not the only one who has noticed this.

In RO1 I would regularly hit moving targets at most ranges, now I have to lead about a foot to hit a guy sprinting from 30 meters away. To make matters worse, I can almost never see where my bullets actually land, which makes it even harder to figure out lead time.

Oh Nader, dieter is obviously a troll. He gets on RO2 having squad spawns, but forgets that WW2 Online, which he says he plays, has magic boxes that pop out players close to the fighting.

You can use the Mobile Spawn, but I walk all the way from base. It's the proper thing to do. And yes, Nader would **** his pants over my godly skillz.

Upvote 0
Sounds a bit silly to have the ballistics on serverside then.
What's the idea behind it? :confused:
It's not exactly "realistic ballistics" if bullet flight time is affected by ping.

If you have ballistics clientside you would die after you get in cover, which is just as silly. I think most people would rather lead more than die after you're safely in cover. It would be Bad Company 2 all over again.

Upvote 0