• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Too much special weapons

Dödluvan

Grizzled Veteran
May 19, 2009
I like the new system with squads (even if currently there is no real benefit to be in the same squad as your friends). It does however bring up one problem. With four squad leaders there are going to be four extra SMGs or Semi-Auto Rifles more than there were in RO1. Even on 64-player servers regular Bolt-Action Rifles are a minority. It's not realistic and it skews balance.

In RO1 it was balanced because 7 out of 10 players had Bolt-Action Rifles and there were only a few special units who had other weapons. But currently almost everyone can get them, giving the players who are forced to play with Bolt-Action Rifles a big disadvantage, limits the usage of grenades and picking up weapons (which is done much more smoothly than in RO1).

I also think that smoke grenades should be handed out to all the squad leaders. Currently only two out of four squad leaders are given 2x smoke grenades. It would be better if all four of them got a single smoke grenade, this is positive for many reasons: Smoke grenades will be used more wisely, more strategic options will open up and even if one squad leader isn't using his smoke grenades it won't make such a big difference as it currently does.

To limit the amount of special weapons the number of Assault and/or Elite Riflemen class spots could be reduced and/or some of the squad leaders could be given bolt-action rifles.

I would also like an option to role-kick Commanders since they are currently the most important class and in incompetent hands can be completely gamebreaking, especially in the Countdown gamemode.

While I do agree that rifleman are an unjust minority, I would contest that they are at any significant disadvantage. I often find myself choosing the ol' reliable bolt over the more advanced weapons depending on the situation. Defensively, especially, you really can't beat finding a nice window and picking off enemies from absurd ranges with a bolt action rifle. Not even the semi-auto rifle can compare.

However, I do think that every squad leader needs one smoke 'nade and that we need the option to votekick incompetent commanders (MUTINY!)

Upvote 0
I kind of like the options. I've been in servers where we've actually had problems of not enough SMGs or MGs going, because everyone grabbed rifleman.

I think we need to give it more time before we can really comment on this.

I've killed two SMG run and gunners at close range with my rifle. I shot the first one in the face, and then clubbed the second while he sprayed and missed me.

Upvote 0
I do feel the same way as the OP. I think that rifles need to have more prominence on the battlefield. Especially with the MP40 and the PPSH being so much more powerful than they were in RO1. When your SMG is shooting 120 meters without issue on a 200 meter map, then the rifle isn't at as much of an advantage as they once were in RO1 where the smg was limited to perhaps 50 meters.

Then again, we've only seen two maps. And Apartments is most likely the smallest of them all, so SMG's have started off powerful in our own experiences. If the maps are more like Fallen I think that the ratio will be just fine, but if they are smaller, there needs to be a cut to the smg's. Perhaps only 3 assault classes. Or maybe make one or two SL choose the semi-auto rifle over the smg.

It's way too early to make an definitive decisions, based on our limited testing experience though. Once we've seen the rest of the maps and modes we'll be able to judge more fairly. But as it is now, I do think the SMG's should be limited a tad more.

Upvote 0
Although even in apartments I think good Riflemen still generally take top scoring positions.

That is a complete and utter lie. There is no way a bolt-action can be as effective or easy to use as an SMG on that map since it's essentially just about close quarter fights. You can ground up 70 kills with the MP40 with ease in one match. Now try and do the same thing with a bolt action rifle on those distances. Never happens. Top scorers ALWAYS have SMG, Semi-Auto or LMG on Apartments.

Bit like real life isn't it? How many battles were lost in that war due to incompetent commanders?

True but they already have role-kicking for squad leaders and snipers so there is really no reason to not include commanders.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Bit like real life isn't it? How many battles were lost in that war due to incompetent commanders?

Sadly, 90% of commanders in the real world are incompetent.

You'll find that in history, a tale of two great leaders facing each other across a field is rare. More likely it's either one genius and a fool or, more likely, two fools staring at each other.

And then the rarest commander of them all is one that actually gives a damn about his troops lives.

Reactions: Hektor88
Upvote 0
I like to think the balance between the rifleman and the other classes is quite even. As others have said, with a bolt action... point and shoot.

SMG's do come across as a bit overpowered. But that is because the ranges of engagements in the map Apartments are quite small.

I agree, even on fallen fighters, still a small map but larger then apartments, it feels like the assault falls somewhat short against the plethora of bolt actions.

Reactions: Lost Cipher
Upvote 0
i think rifles are underrated.

seriously, sometimes the SMG's appear to be shooting marshmallows. rifle is almost always instant kill. at close range, pistol seems just as effective as SMG. i've been practicing the SMG and it's far more difficult to score a kill unless your aim is poor (where you would regularly miss your first rifle shot).

imo it's as clear as comparing the AWP to the mp5 in counterstrike.

the semi-automatic rifle is amazing, and would probably be the ak47/m4 in my counterstrike analogy, but i'm yet to play a game where the number of semi-auto rifle players comes anywhere near the number of bolt action.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
the in-game ratio of automatics to bolt-actions is pretty realistic

14 Million Kar98k were produced and only 1 million mp40s. This means that only every 14th soldier should have a mp40. Currently the ratio is usually 1 Mp40 per rifle.

Personally I feel much more confident with a bolt-action at long OR close range... something very comforting about the reliability with which it can kill at any range. Even in close quarters, if you think about it, if you get the first shot off with the Karabiner and it hits you almost certainly have a kill. Not so with an automatic. Not only that, but, just as in real combat, bolt-actions force discipline. They eliminate the "rambo effect" and force the user to make every shot count. You are dramatically less instinctive to hammer the fire button on a bolt-action at close quarters than you are with an automatic, and I think we've all been in that situation where someone pops out with an auto, empties a full magazine and doesn't hit once, then gets put down by that 8mm shot you've been aiming while he was spray-and-praying...

It's extremely rare that you can win a 1v1 close quarter fight with a bolt-action. If you hipshot you're not gonna hit and you don't have time to bring out your iron sights before you're dead. Only a retard would spray and pray like you describe not to mention that I haven't yet seen it happen in RO2 and I have lost at least 100 close quarter fights because I had bolt action vs an SMG. Using an SMG is not exactly difficult.

It doesn't work at all ranges at all. Maybe over 100m you have a slight advantage but other than that a MP40 can cover close and medium and long range. At least in RO1 Mp40s had some recoil but currently you can snipe people on Fallen Fighters with it. So don't bull**** me that Bolt-Action is viable at short and long range. The weapons work like in reality, there are no downsides to semi-autos or smgs and they are better in every possible aspect except for ranges over a 100m which currently doesn't really exist in RO2.

Upvote 0