• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Question about sights in the game

Qweets

Grizzled Veteran
Jul 13, 2007
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere I couldn't quite find anything about it other than some snipers will be able to get different zoom variation scopes like 6x or 12x etc.

Are some of the SMG's going to be getting sight unlocks kinda like red dot sights of the modern day but the ones they had back then? If I'm correct they had a dot site for a lot of smg's right? I know in COD WAW they had addons like that and I believe they always model their guns and attachments based on real things right?

Please don't flame me if this is a stupid question I'm just really curious as to how much customization we will be getting with guns. As I really like having the ability to use different sights and what not.

Are some of the SMG's going to be getting sight unlocks kinda like red dot sights of the modern day but the ones they had back then? If I'm correct they had a dot site for a lot of smg's right? I know in COD WAW they had addons like that and I believe they always model their guns and attachments based on real things right?

Please don't flame me if this is a stupid question I'm just really curious as to how much customization we will be getting with guns. As I really like having the ability to use different sights and what not.

...I think it's pretty fair to expect red dot sights (and tacticool attachments in general) to be out.

EDIT: I'd say the farthest that kind of thing goes in RO2 is the Nagant silencer
---

Last edited:
Reactions: Nachoguy5
Upvote 0
WAW wasn't based hardly on real facts. All Treyarch did was pallet swap cod4 with a WW2 setting and when they found something they couldn't find for real like ACOG and RDS sights, they just made it up.

Oh so the sight that was like a black dot type thing never existed? Alrighty, thank you for clearing that up for me. Glad there will be some sort of silencer though.

Upvote 0
Oh so the sight that was like a black dot type thing never existed? Alrighty, thank you for clearing that up for me. Glad there will be some sort of silencer though.

well there were black dot type sights like the gyro gunsight, but they were for fighter planes and AA guns.

But a apature sight which its known in Call of Duty WaW is really a small metal loop at the end of the barrel to help with aiming.

Upvote 0
Sorry if this has been answered somewhere I couldn't quite find anything about it other than some snipers will be able to get different zoom variation scopes like 6x or 12x etc.

Oh yeah totally im going to pull out my MP40 with red dot sight, silencer and grenade launcher and make my red dot sight "PINK'' you can deffently do that in this game...... but on a serious note im being sarcastic and red dot sights and stuff like that werent in world war 2 they just had the iron sights on the gun expect for snipers.

Last edited:
Reactions: Elim and Nachoguy5
Upvote 0
guys seriously, I'm not some call of duty kid. I was just asking if the attachments in cod waw were actually around in the ww2 era and if they would be present in this game, now that I know they in fact DIDN'T exist has answered my question. No need for the facepalming etc.. Jesus, not all of us are super history buffs.

No worries.......we were just having a friendly laugh at your expense. Done. ;)

Moving on.......welcome to the community and here's hoping you love RO2 sooo much that you'll forget the COD franchise exists! hehe :D

Upvote 0
1313067357428.gif

Sorry i've just been waiting to use this gif for a long time. :D

Upvote 0
guys seriously, I'm not some call of duty kid. I was just asking if the attachments in cod waw were actually around in the ww2 era and if they would be present in this game, now that I know they in fact DIDN'T exist has answered my question. No need for the facepalming etc.. Jesus, not all of us are super history buffs.
Certain weapons will have certain unlockable "attachments" of a sort. I'm not at liberty to say what they are, but there are some hints in various screenshots and videos that have been released in the last month or so.

Also, some of the above posters may be surprised at what existed in WW2. Things might not have been commonplace, but a lot of experimental weapon enhancements did in fact exist.

Upvote 0
Certain weapons will have certain unlockable "attachments" of a sort. I'm not at liberty to say what they are, but there are some hints in various screenshots and videos that have been released in the last month or so.

Also, some of the above posters may be surprised at what existed in WW2. Things might not have been commonplace, but a lot of experimental weapon enhancements did in fact exist.
but unless TWI(or modders) go all mkb/avt on them, it's unlikely will see any of them
right?

Upvote 0

First of all, give him a break hes new and asked hes perfectly fine question politly. Realistic games like RO attracts alot of history buffs including myself but i can understand where you're coming from since i played CoD WaW too (yes i did).

To answer your question, the vast majority of all soldiers in WW2 used iron sights with the exception of a few prototypes on field testing and snipers with their scopes mounted on their bolt action. It is likely that on relaxed realism (the arcade-ish gametype) we will see quite alot of uncommon gear but realism servers will almost exclusivly have it disabled since people (including myself) prefers to play with what they really fought with on a larger scale.

Third, Welcome to the community! Cheers

Upvote 0
I know for sure snipers get different scopes, in some screens I swear I've seen like the svt with a weird sight attachment though so maybe what Psycho Chicken was saying that some things have been shown but people haven't really caught on to them. Obviously Chicken being a part of the Rising Storm team he knows what they are but he can't say anything. So yeah maybe that's what some of the "heroes" will have access too. Experimental stuff like sights.

Upvote 0
Too be honest though, they did have reflector (reflex) sights back then. However I do not think they were ever used by the military. Other than on Aircraft, Deck Guns, or Large Weapons.

However what we know as the ACOG today did have a variant in the ZF4 scope for the germans. Used by the MKb42 and FG42. The Russian version was the PU Scope (Generally coming in a 3.5x I believe). The scope the Germans appear to be using in game does look like the ZF41, apologies for the error.

So in theory it was completely possible for reflector sights to have been developed or issued for small arms during world war 2. However I have yet to hear, read, or see evidence in support of their use.

Last edited:
Upvote 0