• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Excessive Tank Recoil

Hypno Toad

Grizzled Veteran
Apr 18, 2008
Standing behind you
Before the criticism I want to say that the tanking in general is looking incredible, the way the tanks handle, how the round penetration works, all excellent, but I do have one strong area of concern:

Im not a BT, so Im unaware of the current changes in regards to the recoil on tanks, but just going off of these Beta videos, the recoil looks extremely excessive.. almost cartoonishly so

Ill use this scene as an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EtNtWvHoBfQ&t=5m50s

The recoil coming from that Panzer IV is so powerful the thing looks like it's about to flip over. Not to be rude, but this is what the recoil looked like in Battlefield 1942 :eek:

In the early tank demos from John, the recoil was quite acceptable, Im not sure why it was changed :confused:

Last edited:
Before the criticism I want to say that the tanking in general is looking incredible, the way the tanks handle, how the round penetration works, all excellent, but I do have one strong area of concern:

Im not a BT, so Im unaware of the current changes in regards to the recoil on tanks, but just going off of these Beta videos, the recoil looks extremely excessive.. almost cartoonishly so

Ill use this scene as an example

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=EtNtWvHoBfQ&t=5m50s

The recoil coming from that Panzer III is so powerful the thing looks like it's about to flip over. Not to be rude, but this is what the recoil looked like in Battlefield 1942 :eek:

In the early tank demos from John, the recoil was quite acceptable, Im not sure why it was changed :confused:

Not to be rude, but comparing RO 2 to Battlefield 1942 and saying that things look cartoony doesn't make any sense.

Edit: I see what you mean though :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Not to be rude, but comparing RO 2 to Battlefield 1942 and saying that things look cartoony doesn't make any sense.

I didn't compare RO2 to battlefield 1942, I compared it's tank recoil to that of battlefield 1942's tank recoil. Obviously the rest of the two games have no similarities beyond WW2. I'm almost positive that was worded correctly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
While I agree it *seems* excessive, Tanks do indeed have some recoil, and I was reading another post in which it was explained that the enhanced-zoom optics increase the effect of recoil.

That's just how optics work - while you may only see 15cm of vertical climb with plain vision, it's going to seem vastly more with a 10x zoom picture.

This is very apparent when playing a game like Armed Assault and using a scoped weapon that has zoom levels - using low level zoom and recoil doesn't seem to bad, but suddenly you zoom way in and recoil is quite high.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here at 2:50 - 3:10 a Panzer IV F2 firing on targets:

3/6 The Panzer 4 - YouTube

by comparsion the recoil on the RO2 PIV:
Looked fantastic.

Loved seeing the troops scurrying across the street in the distance while the tank lobs shells at them.
1z736tl.gif
http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=806950&postcount=96[url]http://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/showpost.php?p=806950&postcount=96[/URL]

Upvote 0
Yeah it did seem overdone, definitely reminiscent of my BF1942 days.

The recoil buffers in the guns should eliminate most of that rocking. Ostfront's was a little too light, but RO2's seems very excessive. Could be dependent on the angle the tank is sitting and all that though.

When they're on level ground they seem to recoil normally.

Upvote 0
While I agree it *seems* excessive, Tanks do indeed have some recoil, and I was reading another post in which it was explained that the enhanced-zoom optics increase the effect of recoil.

Did you watch video I posted in the OP? Im not reffering to the recoil you see in your sights (though, that is still excessive) you can clearly see the P IV almost flip over multiple times as it fires at the player.

Simply put, AT guns are not that powerful that they could cause a 30 tonne tank to tip onto one track. In the video redken posted you can clearly see the recoil compensator on the 7.5cm gun absorbs almost all of the recoil and the tank hardly moves at all.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iTnT21t3ysA&t=2m52s

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It could have to do with the angle of the turret. The PIV firing in that video was aiming at 90 degrees. At that angle you could expect the most rocking, as there is less tank behind the turret to brace against the reaction of the shot fired. Think of a bicycle. It's easier to rock it sideways (and have it fall) than rock it back.

With that in mind, I'm going to keep a look out for tanks firing at 0 degrees, and see if the recoil is less.

Upvote 0
If both you and an enemy have equal difficulty when firing your gun, then how would increasing the recoil make the game any more *difficult* for either side? All it does is make it more annoying and unrealistic to shoot at people.

I had just assumed it was an oversight, I hope its not actually a gameplay mechanic :(

It could have to do with the angle of the turret. The PIV firing in that video was aiming at 90 degrees. At that angle you could expect the most rocking, as there is less tank behind the turret to brace against the reaction of the shot fired. Think of a bicycle. It's easier to rock it sideways (and have it fall) than rock it back.

With that in mind, I'm going to keep a look out for tanks firing at 0 degrees, and see if the recoil is less.

To put it as simply as possible, the current recoil defies the laws of physics. You are not going to see a tank moved at all by firing it's main gun. The recoil buffer zone and muzzle break absorb or disperse almost all of the recoil, and let alone a gun firing a 6.8 KG projectile at 790 m/s is not going to produce enough kickback to cause a 25,000 KG tank to tip over onto one track. At most its going to cause the tank to rock slightly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Watch the video you posted at 22:25 and 22:53. The turret is pointing at about 30 degrees in the first and 0 degrees on the second. There doesn't seem to be much rockin' going on those times.

It's also possible the rocking from earlier could be due to the terrain in addition to the angle of the turret. If the tank was on a sideways incline, I wouldn't be surprised if it could lead to more hull recoil.

Upvote 0
Watch the video you posted at 22:25 and 22:53. The turret is pointing at about 30 degrees in the first and 0 degrees on the second. There doesn't seem to be much rockin' going on those times.

It's also possible the rocking from earlier could be due to the terrain in addition to the angle of the turret. If the tank was on a sideways incline, I wouldn't be surprised if it could lead to more hull recoil.

*Sigh* watch this video satrting at 14 mins

Exclusive Red Orchestra 2 Early Beta Footage - July 2011 - YouTube

Even on the shots he takes when his turret is forward there is still an enormous excess of recoil.

And at 22 minutes in the video I posted, The same goes for other tanks in the distance, you can see that massive cartooney recoil where the entire tank rocks back. This is not realistic in the slightest.

Even when you are on slanted terrain, this should not be happening. The tank weighs 25 - 30 thousand kilograms. The recoil from an anti tank gun is not going to rock the tank, especially considering it has a muzzle break and recoil buffer.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
*Sigh* watch this video satrting at 14 mins

Exclusive Red Orchestra 2 Early Beta Footage - July 2011 - YouTube

Even on the shots he takes when his turret is forward there is still an enormous excess of recoil.

And at 22 minutes in the video I posted, The same goes for other tanks in the distance, you can see that massive cartooney recoil where the entire tank rocks back. This is not realistic in the slightest.

Even when you are on slanted terrain, this should not be happening. The tank weighs 25 - 30 thousand kilograms. The recoil from an anti tank gun is not going to rock the tank, especially considering it has a muzzle break and recoil buffer.

That's a 2 month old build, and the video doesn't go to 22:00 for me.

Anyways, here's a vid of Tony. Watch at 3:41. The recoil does seem a bit excessive, but not as bad as in those earlier vids.

Red Orchestra 2 - Live-Demo - w. Tony Gillham - Games-Panorama HD - YouTube

Upvote 0
I think it's about the same in that video, the tank is just way closer so it doesn't appear to be as much.

Nonetheless the effect only appears to be lessened under certain circumstances, the fact remains that its still extremely excessive. I need to emphasize that between the muzzle break, recoil buffer on the gun, and the sheer immense weight of the tank, you're going to experience next to no recoil whatsoever.

As hockeywarrior said, it may be fixed by the release, but the fact that this level of recoil was shown in the official trailer* worries me a bit as it may be completely intentional. Though it may still just be an oversight that couldn't be fixed in time

Am I wrong, or wasn't it kind of like that in RO1?

Kind of disappointed the same tank sounds from the first RO1 are in RO2
Nowhere near this much recoil in RO1. Theres a lot of vibration, but no actual sight movement (or above all, hull movement)

IS2 - YouTube

The sounds dont bother me. Why replace good sounds? A metal impact is a metal impact, why does it need to be changed between two games when you're essentially doing the same thing...

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Here's another one. Skip to 5:50. You can see one side of the enemy tank lift completely off the ground when it fires... really.

Even More Exclusive Red Orchestra 2 Beta Footage - YouTube

Also, please PLEASE tell me that you can't move the tank turret around with the mouse like an arcade game, or like BF1942. It looks like he's controlling the gun with mouse in all these videos.

Last edited:
Upvote 0