• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

New facts from the new set of screenshots

Originally Posted by WrinkleRay
Im really looking forward to the release (and beta), but I still feel the graphics lack something, such as tone mapping, decals on the ground (too uniform and flat). Otherwise the buildings and surrounding looks very good.

Actual screenshot from Zips :

Attachment 4279

This is an example with tone mapping :

Attachment 4280
Lacking Tone Mapping? Really? Because Tone Mapping is designed for High Dynamic Range photography, using multiple shots from different exposures, merging them, and using tone mapping to blend the merged result.

I find it misleading when a game uses "tone mapping", because unless they are rendering the same frame with different exposures, there would be no point in tone mapping. The only reason this is done in photography is because digital cameras' sensor is unable to capture the entire range of dynamic light. This is NOT the case with rendering, unless, as said before, rendering multiple frames with different exposures. Which really has no point because you can render the entire dynamic range of light in 1 frame. This would be a waste of processing power to include "tone mapping".

The ONLY difference in the two examples in the quote is a slight adjustment of brightness and contrast. Not even close to tone mapping.

Upvote 0
91931_ShippingPC-ROGame_2011-08-18_17-02-48-84_normal.jpg

End game score board.

END, GAME.

Team score :3

I wonder if the score board is any different when you're actually in game...

Upvote 0
Lacking Tone Mapping? Really? Because Tone Mapping is designed for High Dynamic Range photography, using multiple shots from different exposures, merging them, and using tone mapping to blend the merged result.

I find it misleading when a game uses "tone mapping", because unless they are rendering the same frame with different exposures, there would be no point in tone mapping. The only reason this is done in photography is because digital cameras' sensor is unable to capture the entire range of dynamic light. This is NOT the case with rendering, unless, as said before, rendering multiple frames with different exposures. Which really has no point because you can render the entire dynamic range of light in 1 frame. This would be a waste of processing power to include "tone mapping".

The ONLY difference in the two examples in the quote is a slight adjustment of brightness and contrast. Not even close to tone mapping.
Anyway the second screenshot looks a lot more natural IMO

Upvote 0
The FOV does look off in the screenshots. But still thanks for posting good to have some news

Although what's with this guy? He looks like he's 80 years old! Some General playing at Schutze?
red-orchestra-2-beta-screenshots-oxcgn-17.jpg

"Back in my day in the great war as most folks like to call it, we didnt just charge at the enemy we walked and we walked with pride" :p

Upvote 0
have you somehow missed the last sentence in his post?
So you somehow missed that its just that one single map, all the other maps would then look strange.

Also, it is impossible for me to do that so i couldnt do it anyway, and if I could, I wouldnt go through the hassle just for that.

Anyway this isnt getting us anywhere, I just wanted to point out that the screenshot looks strangely yellow to me as well.

Upvote 0