• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rifles with scopes concern

mrmonkeh

Feb 22, 2011
Hi all,

Long time listener, first time poster :)

I am massively looking forward to RO2's release, but have a concern. The experience and unlock system looks great and a lot of fun. However, one of the things I love about RO1 is the rifle play with the long distance, drawn out shoot-outs; I'm concerned that if over time everyone unlocks scopes for rifles it's going to become a sniper fest, and lose the fun, skilful, iron-sight rifle play mechanic

I know there will be limits on special weapons, but I haven't heard about a limit on upgraded weapons... What does everyone think?

Oh, and *ahem*, perhaps if I could have early access to the beta perhaps I would see how this is addressed and it would alleviate my concern? *ahem* ;)

Cheers

Monkeh

Thanks guys :)

I did hear in an interview that one of the kar 98 unlocks was a scope though... That would scare me :) (the interview with the level designer chaP, will link to it later)

Cheers

Monkeh

I think I know what interview you mean. I'm pretty sure he meant a better scope for the marksman class. So the scope just replaces another for the appropriate class.

Upvote 0
over half of the team will still be riflemen.

Doubt it, to be honest. Maybe on particular servers, but as a general rule I wouldn;t say so.

And even if it were true, after players have had one or two days to unlock stuff, I doubt you'll see very many bolt action rifles being used, since there doesn;t appear to be a reason not to use semi autos when they come available to you.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Doubt it, to be honest. Maybe on particular servers, but as a general rule I wouldn;t say so.

And even if it were true, after players have had one or two days to unlock stuff, I doubt you'll see very many bolt action rifles being used, since there doesn;t appear to be a reason not to use semi autos when they come available to you.

Wait, why is this so hard to get? (I mean this nicely in-case you can't tell). There are class limits, like in ROriginal. Rifleman and Semi-auto rifle (or elite rifle, I don't know yet) are separate classes, so riflemen will always have a scopeless (or a cheap scope at most, though I'm 99% sure that's not what TWI would do) bolt-action rifle, and no unlockable semi autos. On top of that, there's a limit to how many people get to be on semi-auto class. Finally, all classes (except for elite classes probably) will be available from start. So leveling up will have nothing to do with the number of semi-auto and scoped rifles there will be.

No sources, this is just my logical conclusion from what I gathered from the original and the lack of hard evidence to the contrary from interviews and such. Also, I don't know if you noticed but a lot of vets here claim to use solely bolt-action rifles, so there is a reason to use them even if you get the chance to use semis.

Upvote 0