• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Rifleman class

I can't provide the sources, but I have read that the german army supplied extra 7.63 mauser rounds to their troops specifically for the purpose of being used in captured Russian weapons. I think that if enough troops were using captured Russian weapons for the German army to supply ammunition specifically for this purpose, it's significant enough for tripwire to include this in the game. I still don't think it will come down to all the German Assault/officers using Russian weapons though, but we will see.

Upvote 0
Even worse, at some point during the characters progress, German characters will be able to spawn with Russian weapons, and vice versa.

How is this worse?

One of the few unlocks that actually makes sense and isn't dis-balancing is for veterans to get access to PPSHs, as they collected them during the battle as they were seen as superior to the MP40.

the PPSH even had its own German military designation because it was so widely used.

Now having unlocks that make the player with the unlocks undisputably better than novice players is bad, and it goes against the ethos that it should be easy for new players to get into to the game. Having veteran players with MP40-2s and sidearms, against novices who just have basic kit seems a really bad idea.

IMO unlocks should not be fundamentally better than non unlocks, they should just give more variety, like the way TF2 does it (unless they're purely temporary "battlefield commission" style where you only get them for a limited time for doing really well).

Reactions: Snuffeldjuret
Upvote 0
Like i said a soldier or two could do this, but at company/batallion level i call BS on you. Give me the link for that.

The Wehrmacht officially adopted these converted PPSh-41s as the MP41(r); unconverted PPSh-41s were designated MP717(r) and supplied with 7.63x25mm Mauser in place of the Soviet 7.62x25mm cartridge. German-language manuals for the use of captured PPShs were printed and distributed in the Wehrmacht.[6]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PPSh-41#cite_note-ppsh41-5

Upvote 0
I do think the fact you can spawn with weapons from the opposite team is pretty lame, though.

IDK about that, I spawn with a mp40 and kill an enemy ppsh then pick up his weapon. All it does is just remove one step. Something you would do anyways.

Like them removing the deploy bipod button. Its something you would have done anyways, all they are doing is just removing a step.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
No class will be able to spawn with weapons he/she picked up on the battlefield. A rifleman will be given a set of rifleman loadout options only.

As he progresses, that rifleman can unlock the ability to spawn with an enemy rifle only, he won't be able to spawn with enemy or friendly smg's or mg's. He can only pick those up from the battlefield itself.

So in short: A rifleman is and will always be a rifleman when he spawns. An assault class will be an assault class, LMG class will be LMG class - these classes won't be able to select a rifle as weapon to spawn with.

Upvote 0
I dont agree it brekas immersion and it was not common practice, sure in a battalion a soldier or two could pick up a ppsh and use it but not a whole batallion running around with enemy weapons, makes no sense.

I would think that the unlockable ability to spawn with an enemy weapon would be tiered so that you wouldn't end up with a mass of players starting with opposing weapons. I imagine it will only be a select few players in a given game who can spawn with enemy weapons.

Also, please keep in mind that none of us have played this game yet. Let's not give into panic or exaggerated speculation - we should wait and see what this looks like in its final form. :)

Upvote 0
I think you will love the game, there are people around here on the forums at the moment who try to convince people that RO2 is going to be bad game on things they don't know for sure or can't judge because the haven't played the game yet.
But trust me this is going to be a fantastic game for sure:)

sorry for my english

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Also, every class gets a pistol, but it's an unlockable.

No, its a server option. Do some research.

Wt* r all u people complaining about?! As SasQuatch said, riflemen will always get rifles, Snipers will always get Sniper Rifles, etc. Just because a German rifleman can spawn with a mosin nagant after 100 hours of playing with rifleman doesnt mean the game is going to suck. What if you wanted to use a mosin nagant but the russians were full?

But even if you are too stubborn to think like that, hopefully for you ungrateful people, TW will include server options to filter out rare weapons and spawning with enemy weapons.

Last edited:
Reactions: teemu92 and heady89
Upvote 0
I'm preparing myself for the possibility that unlike RO1, this will be the case in RO2.

Sure, classes have limits, but now every class has a plethora of weapons with corresponding upgrades to choose from. So I expect even riflemen to end up spawning with a 'less than standard issue' weapon.

Everybody gets pistols as well, go figure.
Everyone should not have pistols. Nor was every individual in any platoon issued pistols as far as I know.
Squad leaders, tank commanders/operators, and mabey recon classes. Thats it!!
And no way should anyone be able to spawn with 2 primary weapons. Picking up a carrying a second primary is different.
We gonna have killstreaks, digital camo and akimbo weapons next?

Reactions: CupofMud
Upvote 0
Like i said a soldier or two could do this, but at company/batallion level i call BS on you. Give me the link for that.

http://anonymous-generaltopics.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html

Quite a few pictures there of Germans using PPSH's although that is obviously not enough to convince you. I couldn't find any images of a whole company equipped with Soviet weapons but i believe i read somewhere that Second line formation units were equipped with some soviet weaponry. I would also like to take a moment to say that if the Germans bothered to print an information guide solely on how to use the PPSH-41 and had it in the army regulation manual then i honestly don't know how you can say that it wasn't used widely enough?

Also RO2 isn't on company level and not all are going to be using PPSH, perfect realism :D

Upvote 0
[url]http://anonymous-generaltopics.blogspot.com/2010_02_01_archive.html[/URL]

Quite a few pictures there of Germans using PPSH's although that is obviously not enough to convince you. I couldn't find any images of a whole company equipped with Soviet weapons but i believe i read somewhere that Second line formation units were equipped with some soviet weaponry. I would also like to take a moment to say that if the Germans bothered to print an information guide solely on how to use the PPSH-41 and had it in the army regulation manual then i honestly don't know how you can say that it wasn't used widely enough?

Also RO2 isn't on company level and not all are going to be using PPSH, perfect realism :D

*Shrug* it's on a platoon level and I don't think there were any second line formations at Stalingrad ;).

I'm fine with the PPSH being unlockable for Germans. I wouldn't use it anyway. Y'all can always just come to a realism unit's server lol. As much of that stuff will be disabled as possible.

Upvote 0
When did "spawn with 2 primary weapons" get into the discussion? This is perhaps the most insane thread I've ever seen :/.

+1

I think that discussing "what if" situations and considering them as the reality for a game that was not even released yet is just crazy. Guys, remember that we can only be sure about things that TWI stated officially. Don't take the demo videos too serious because they show only the non-finished product. Also, I remember that John Gibson used some cheat codes on the videos for demonstation porpouses - so the loadouts seem may not be the official.

Upvote 0
Everyone should not have pistols. Nor was every individual in any platoon issued pistols as far as I know.
Squad leaders, tank commanders/operators, and mabey recon classes. Thats it!!
And no way should anyone be able to spawn with 2 primary weapons. Picking up a carrying a second primary is different.
We gonna have killstreaks, digital camo and akimbo weapons next?

In realism mode the pistols are only for commander/squad leader etc. as default not for riflemen.

Upvote 0
When it comes to ferocious fighting both sides would loot weapons that they felt was best as The Germans looted the PPSH 41 en masse, The Soviets looted MG34 (no really, just use google images) and you have to remeber that during the war vast ammo dumps were over ran by each side giving the chance to load on weapons they liked to use.

Also TR00P3R_C link is insane:
27.jpg

A nightscoped PPSH...
somuchwinq.png

Upvote 0