• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

What brought you to Red Orchestra?

Banquo

Grizzled Veteran
Feb 15, 2006
London UK
During my pc playing days, I have come across many WWII games. There have been a wide variety of treatments of this period. Some have treated the era as an excuse for propaganda, some have glorified war to increase sales and some have quite blatently reduced it to an event that only touched one side.

When the trailer came out for HOS a while back, I saw one forum post expressing concern that the trailer showed a preference for one side over the other. I believe the responses from other members set out to explain that this was not the case.

Tripwire have always treated this period as a war between two sides consisting of people. This is important to me. My grandfather died on the Eastern front in late'41. I not only have photographs of him but also the memories and stories my grandmother passed on to me. When he joined the army, it was for a career and at the time, he did not envisage being in a war at all.

Whilst I am playing RO, I do see it as a game and I do not play any particular side. In the pauses between, however, historical reality comes back to me and prompts thought about that period and the stories of not just my family but others too.

Different people get different things out of RO and will do so with RO2. For my part, it is to gain an understanding of what it was like being in that scenerio. With this in mind, I am especially looking forward to the single player intros.

That is my reason for interest; the historical context of the game followed by the game mechanics. I was wondering what other people's angle was. Is it the gameplay, the setting or something else that first sparked your interest in this game?

I was bored and, if I remember correctly, a little sick so I was stuck home with nothing to do. I saw the game on steam (this was in april 2006, I think) and made the second spontanous purchase of a game in my life, after having read (just a little) about it.
Turned out to be one of my best buys ever :)

Exact same story with me except I couldnt play it before because of a crappy pc.

Upvote 0
I first heard of RO in 2004 when the mod was beginning to make a name for TW, but never got the chance to play it. It wasn't till 2005/6 when my neighborhood finally got high-speed internet that I jumped on Steam and saw the mod had gone full fledged!

I had played a few older UT mods like Infiltration, so I was all too happy to see RO was "hardcore". But what really sold me was one of the original trailers, the action looked so intense and visceral!

Too bad noone seems to play Mare Nostrum anymore, or I could imagine what it was like for my dad to grow up in North Africa at the time.

Upvote 0
The free weekend for Ost. I first heard of RO from someone playing DoD:S back in the early Steam days. Free weekend came up and I dived straight for it.

I was stunned by the level of detail on the weapons, the attention to detail in mechanics and the fabulous ballistics. I recall playing Lyeskrovy. What a thrill. So I sought out a box copy. I still have it.

Infantry combat in RO has always been visceral. It makes COD feel pretty kiddy pool.

During my pc playing days, I have come across many WWII games. There have been a wide variety of treatments of this period. Some have treated the era as an excuse for propaganda, some have glorified war to increase sales and some have quite blatently reduced it to an event that only touched one side.

Incidentally, Call of Duty, strangely, is not really guilty of this. Both Call of Duty 4 and MW2 had strongly anti war messages in spite of their total bro-gamer vibe and soldier worship.

Call of Duty 2 was more propagandistic, but since the origin of the franchise they've featured the Ruskies and the British pretty prominently. The Russians didn't become the bogeymen in the COD universe until the Modern Warfare alternate reality :p

Last edited:
Upvote 0
i first saw RO in a Walmart around mid 2006 and mentioned to a sibling that it looked pretty decent......so for Christmas that year I got both COD2 and RO. played COD2 for a day or two and once i beat the campaign, i just stopped enjoying it. i tried to get into the multiplayer but could never seem to connect to any servers. so i said, why not try this other game.....my first day i tried out the practice mode just to realize it was a waste of time with the bots. hopped into a server and played maybe 4 or 5 rounds, got so frustrated that i couldn't kill anyway or get any points and put it away with no intentions of ever playing again. after a week of being bored, i decided to pick it back up and give it another go. i slowly picked up on how the system worked....capping objectives, using weapons, getting used to the freeaim/no crosshairs. a couple weeks into the game, i was hooked.

been playing ever since :)

Upvote 0
I ran servers with MoH:AA (and Spearhead). The were modded with 'real world' damage values and adjusted 'cone of fire' thanks to clanmate Crazy Yoda. Ran a full server 24/7 with the mod and aggressive removing of asshats. However, with a popular server, cheating was rampant and began ruining the experience. Had to have non-playing admins on 24/7. Then CoD (and CoD:UO) came out, modded no crosshairs, 'real world' damage. Continued the full server trend.

CoD2 came out with bunny hopping, no anti-cheat, no mod support at first.....heard about RO on the CoD forums amidst the tirade against the developers/EA. Started following it and purchased it through Steam as soon as the retail was available. Its been a long glorious ride. It was everything we tried to do in MoH and CoD.

Upvote 0
A combination of being strictly PC after knowing I would never get an Xbox 360 (which I don't regret and laugh at myself for ever wanting one) me sucking at CoD, after playing my first PC exlusive Delta Force Xtreme 2 finding it nessisary to have vehicles, the games low specs, games under $10 on steam the realism was just an enjoyed bonus.... I've had the game I think for almost 2 years... just never really was a forum guy.

Upvote 0
Friend Godwookie gave me his week-long guest pass, on march break. No food in the house that week for some reason, breakfast and lunch consisted of May Wests (Snack cake over here) and the keg of Heineken, so I was basically starving, drunk, and the only reason I lived is that RO kept me going.

Good lord Tripwire! You saved this man's life. Someone get him a beta pass before he dies. :D
Great story!

Upvote 0
I was 15 when my cousin from the countryside came to my house for some kind of course between late 2006 and early 2007, bringing his PC with him. He used to play a lot of RO back then and he would let me play sometimes, but I didn't like the game at first and returned to COD2 in my own PC. I left COD2 when CoDWaW was released, since most of my COD2 clan didn't like COD4 (even though I played it often) or any other modern warfare game, and we all really loved the hardcore mode. We ran out of national servers in WaW a few months after release and tried to go back to COD2, but it didn't work out. My clan lost a lot of members after that and we were looking for something to play. We tried a few other games, like Faces of War and BF1942, but we once again returned to COD2.

In late 2008 I was desperate for a new WW2 game and I found a few awesome videos of RO on YouTube, so I decided to give it a second chance, but this time I really enjoyed it, playing it at least twice a week since then. I started working really hard to bring the remaining members of my clan to RO, since I was (and still am) one of the two leaders. It was a bit hard, because the last one left behind bought RO only in December 2010. Our 30 member clan has been reduced to 10 members (of which only 4 are really active at the moment), with the hope of reclaiming our old glory in HoS :D

Upvote 0
A friend of my brother showed my this game a few years ago. I think it was shortly after release. Not sure though...
But it looked a bit to realistic to me. Then, last year when it was in summer sale for 2,50€ if im right I bought it. And I really regret it, that I didn't bought it when my brothers friend showed it to me! I also saw it a few times in Killing Floor (had that shortly after release). That was also a reason why I bought it on 2010 summer sale then.

Upvote 0