• Please make sure you are familiar with the forum rules. You can find them here: https://forums.tripwireinteractive.com/index.php?threads/forum-rules.2334636/

Steel Fury: Kharkov 42

Epic necromancy indeed :)

I never did get around to getting Steel Fury, but I played Achtung Panzer from the same devs almost to death last year. I've been thinking of buying it, not sure if I have the time to really get into such a complex game with so many good games just around the corner. But maybe just to support these guys for their dedication to realism :)

The "sequel" looks very promising too, but not sure if it's a pure tank sim or if there's a tactical element.

YouTube - ‪mtc80 t62 gunfire‬‏

YouTube - ‪mtc80_marks.wmv‬‏

Time will tell, they are a very small studio so things are progressing sloooow. And not very good at PR either, at least not in Europe...

Reactions: kapulA
Upvote 0
"Achtung Panzer: Kharkov 1943" (which is its full name), is a really good tactical game, but the scope of operations is small, so after a while I wanted more, and got frustrated waiting for the Operation Star expansion which never came (although it's been out for over a year in Russia...)

I'm really looking forward to the new game, it's modern day but they model some really obscure (for wargames) conflicts like Angola and the Iran-Iraq war. I suspect it will be at least 2012 before we see anything though.

Upvote 0
So, I got the game today, trying to work out the controls going through the tutorial. I must be not made out to be a tank driver, just can't seem to figure it out. I'm sure it's realistic and that, but I'd rather spend time trying to learn gunnery or giving commands than trying to figure out how to control a big engine with levers, gears etc. It's not supposed to be a driving simulator is it.

Any tips? Apparently there's auto-transmission but I still get stuck in the ditch every time :(

Also, the top of the screen is cut off a bit, making it hard to read the top of the text parts. Apparently there's a "widescreen fix" but it does *** all for me...

Upvote 0
Oh god the mods. Sure they're great but why on earth do modders feel their stuff is best uploaded to the worlds most spammy **** download site that tries to install all types of malware (4shared.com) ??

Seems this is the only place to get it. Someone make a torrent ffs it isn't that hard...

I can't help you, but I agree with the part in bold. Filefront, moddb, and torrents can't be too hard.

Upvote 0
Well, I quit the driving tutorial when I got stuck in the AT ditch, but it's no real biggie, as most of the time you won't even need to manually drive the tank - I never do, I just direct the driver from the gunner/commander position.
Another thing to account for is the fact the the bastards gave you a Matilda II in that damn tut, which has a very weak engine for a tank its' weight, so AT ditches and even smaller inclines are an issue for it - I'm pretty sure a T34 wouldn't have too much issues with that ditch.
But if you're REALLY, REALLY itching to complete the tut, I suggest going full speed down the small hill infront of the ditch, maybe the inertia will give your fat ugly tank enough speed to overcome the ditch. :p

Upvote 0
Gah the manual is driving me crazy haha. Really REALLY hard to understand!

Like kapula I skipped on the driver training after getting stuck in a tiny ditch for the 5th time in 30 minutes :p. Doing gunnery now.

I'm trying to read the manual about how to use the sights properly (tutorial said to refer to it), but I just can't make sense of it.

Oh ya and also, I keep having this problem: For some reason, after a while my driver refuses to move anymore... what could be causing this? Am I accidentally pressing some sort of "disable the driver" key?

The orders show up in the screen (the shouting + subtitles) but he refuses to do anything...

EDIT:

Well after playing some more this is a really really fantastic game. It's not perfect, it's def lacking some polish and the infantry act a bit wonky but all in all this is one of the best war games I've played in a looong time. (war game as in game set in a war, not "wargame")

Brings back fond memories of M1 Tank Platoon II, though blasting Stugs is a lot more satisfying than shooting a bunch of ancient T-55s and T-72s in your invincible Abrams :p.

It's no cakewalk either, AT guns in particular are pretty tough to spot sometimes, they're often in the brush or just hard to distinguish with all the bushes all over the place obscuring your vision.

That's one thing this game really does well... makes you realize just how tough it is to maintain situational awareness in these WW2 tanks... on the one hand... it's extremely helpful to be unbuttoned with your binocs looking for sneaky AT guns (and armor obviously too but that's easier to spot), but it's really easy to get shot in that position. On the other hand, if you stay buttoned there's a good chance you'll get nailed by some hidden threat you didn't see.

Game's pretty intense... my platoon led this huge attack on this little village. Explosions going off everywhere, there were like... 6 AT guns hidden around the outskirts of the village. I loved it too when some Sturmoviks showed up and started strafing the enemy held trenches... Really spectacular atmosphere.

Chasing the few scattered remaining panicked defenders who were running off into the woods, while side by side with a bunch of PPSh wielding Russians yelling war cries was a lot of fun too :p.

Great performance too for such large maps filled with trees etc. Ran smooth as silk on my 5 year old machine. Graphics aren't Crysis or anything but the tanks look really good IMO. Solders less so but they the infantry add a LOT to the game.

Must buy for any fan of WW2 period. I'm not into tanking in RO but this just makes you feel like you're *there*. Hard to describe.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Unfortunately for him... I got off the first shot, and then mercilessly massacred the bailing crew ;).

You shoulda seen that village before... loads of trees and buildings. Basically flattened :D.

At the end of a battle it shows you on every vehicle every hit, the exact angle it came in at and bounced off (if it deflected) and whether or not there was a successful penetration, partial, or no penetration but still damage incured... pretty cool feature.

This guy got chewed up pretty bad by our air support:

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Definitely agree with all of that Nox, I've been getting a few missions done and really liking it. A great tanksim - and I also figured out you don't really need to be an expert driver, you just give commands, works perfectly.

It's got a few quirks and bugs, and also crashed completely in the middle of a mission - only once for now fortunately, I don't think I can live with random crashes during game. As well as it sometimes just freezes while loading at 9%, when it's supposed to change the rez I think, and I have to kill the game.

Really liking the hectic confusing action when the sh** hits the fan, and the feeling you are just one among many, not just a solo

Upvote 0
For all you mod headaches, refer to this thread:

http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=9654.0

Yes, I've been there before. It works like a charm now, please ask me or make an account in their forums and feel free to ask in my thread, Kyth and the rest of the guys seem pretty nice and helpful. :)

Edit: You can use the image of my ModEnabler window for reference as to what works:

modenabler2.jpg

Also, I've had some frustration with those random crashes Shad, but since I got the game set up like this, I don't think I've experienced any. I did expect some weird AI foul-ups in a certain mission, but I managed to complete it on my own, so it wasn't a biggie, really.

Glad you guys are liking the game! :D

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks for that Kapula - I saw that thread, will probably sign up on their forums now that the next game is just "around the corner" (lol as if...)

Anyway, I would like to have some mods going, I always feel I'm missing something.
I'm guessing the order does matter right?

I have the following now:
Unofficial_patch_SF_v0.1_eng
Compass_mod.v02
Free Camera Mod (Eng)
Though the last one doesn't seem to work?

I've tried getting the SPM from here
http://graviteam.com/forum/index.php?topic=8066.0

And installed in this order:
Unofficial_patch_SF_v0.1_eng
SPM1.5 NTA 1.3
english version_NTA1.3
Missions_pack_1.0c
This crashes on loading the missions.

I notice you have the _beta_ installed- is that considered the one to get instead of the "1.3" one? I have no idea how these guys do their version numbers...

That mediafire site is a blessing, but too bad the latest SPM is not on there.

Upvote 0
Right, the order is rather important - make sure you have the unofficial mod, followed by the exact 3 files I have. After that you can install any other mod you like, as most of the mods are made to compliment SPM beta 1.5
If you have trouble finding the links let me know and I'll try to post you the ones I got the files from.

Edit: Also, note the nomenclature difference - SPM beta 1.5 is NOT the same thing as the SPM NTA - I think the latter is a mission pack or something like that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thanks kapula - I've got it working pretty well now actually, I installed the same mods as you have, not had any major crashes since. Although it does stop loading at 9% at times. Maybe something with changing to wise rez, because I run my desktop lower than the game.

So NTA is a vehicle addon for SPM? That would explain the crashes then, since I didn't have SPM installed :p

Anyway, really enjoying it so far, and I figure this is good practice for the other game when it comes out, it will probably be quite similar gameplay-wise.

Been playing a mission "Krasny Gigant" - defending the village from the german assault is really hard, keep getting killed or wounded and then my entire force abandons the defense. There really is no proper place to go hull-down there, all exposed. Tried putting my tank in a shell crater but they still killed me easy.

Funny: Before I installed SPM the Germans would attack with pz4s and Stugs. Now they attack with a couple of captured T34s (cool eh). First time I saw them I saw like "WTF are my guys doing over there!!" - I thought the stupid AI had gone nuts. Only when they started firing did I realize what they were. Sneaky Fasciste :mad:

Tips for that mission?

Upvote 0
Hmm, well SPM changes quite a lot of aspects - I passed the South campaign with the T-34 on vanilla SF and I only met a couple o' PaK 38s (four, I think, in various positions around the hamlet) before the counterattack. And when they did attack, they had, iirc, 2 or maybe 3 platoons of infantry supported by 3 StuGs. My loader got killed, and since I had just started the game a couple of missions ago, I didn't remember the key to switch crewmember positions, so I couldn't really participate in the tank fight. My 2 T-34s and 2 KV 1 tanks that came to the rescue dealt with those nasty StuGs, while I ranged in my coax on the poor Grenadiers.
I thought about quitting after my loader got killed, but in the end I was glad that I didn't :D
Regarding tips, try to position your T-34s and infantry opposite of the attacking force (you could order them to seek defensive positions via the F8 command map, although that sometimes causes the tank crews to hide behind shrubbery and trees and not engage, but generally works pretty well with infantry) and maneuver your tank to have a good flanking position on the attacking tanks. Be sure to have a nice 90

Last edited:
Upvote 0